Type keyword(s) to search

Making It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm enjoying the show and the craftsmanship is amazing. I'm not a fan of timed challenges because I think creativity needs to blossom in its own time, but I understand the constraints of a tv show. 

Amber is my predicted winner.  I did like her Valentine door, but what was all the fuss about "diversity"?  Because the hands were different colors?  And....??  I am white, married to a Korean American. My BIL is married to a Puerto Rican-Senegalese woman. My sister and her Colombian husband adopted 2 boys from Ghana.  Maybe its because I have lived in diverse or mixed ethnic communities for most of my life, but that wasn't the first thing that "stood out" as a wow factor for me. 

I think Amber will win, and I'm okay with that. I understand this show as a crafting show, meant to inspire viewers who might want to take some of what they see and try it themselves. There's a real vacuum for shows like that, and I welcome this.

It's not an art show, which is completely different. That's where Kheim is, and while his designs are inventive and artsy, they're not as much "craftsy", which I believe is the intent of the show. I'm watching for ideas to maybe try, and his stuff is too much beyond that for many everyday crafters.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MaryMitch said:

Did they say why Kheim had a big cardboard heart on his back during the costume judging?  I agree it was bizarre to have him facing the back of the costume, but what was with the heart?

Because he changed it from being eaten by a bat to being eaten by his dog he was now being eaten by love. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Because he changed it from being eaten by a bat to being eaten by his dog he was now being eaten by love. 

I thought it was the dog's nose.  I'll just go sit in a corner and embroider more dish towels.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

My husband, who never watches TV with me, is loving the shit out of this show. He laughs and laughs. Tonight he found out that Nick and Amy are not married and it really depressed him. 

But Nick is Mr. Karen Walker! That's very cool!

• Love 8

Yes, Robert's door was a bit boring, but his goose was great and the whole thing looked professional, if a bit straight out of Martha Stewart. Joanna's door was a bunch of balloons strung together, paper four leaf clovers that kindergarteners could have cut out, and a felt leprechaun that would be right at home in any 3rd grade classroom. I thought it was ridiculous that Robert was sent home, and not Joanna.

Khiem's door was perhaps more visually impressive, but in this instance I'm ok with them awarding the win to Amber because Halloween is a very obvious choice for a holiday associated with porch decorations, whereas Valentine's Day is not. Also, while the tree branch effect on Khiem's door was cool, the addition of the fog machine is not exactly original for Halloween, and isn't much of a "craft," anyway. Amber's porch had decorations at all different scales, and while I think the emphasis on the use of the mannequin hands and "diversity" was overblown, it was an interesting addition to the typical Valentine's hearts and chocolates.

• Love 10
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, Eliza422 said:

His problem is that he's not "Etsy-friendly" - not on the hottest "trends", or whatever. He's a true artist with a flair for the dark / gothic, and I love it.

He is really the only contestant I like. The rest are making stuff I could make. I will watch their youtube channels if I want to see crap I can make at home. I want to see cool, innovative stuff I would not dream of. I LOVED his dog costume and his Halloween door (though Halloween is my favorite holiday so he had a head start with me on that one.) I just thought it was so interesting.

St. Patty's day was cheap and basic. Forth of July was pretty close to that. The Goose one was a bit dull and Valentines day was WAY too busy for my taste, but that woman knows the way to Etsy's heart so I do think she'll win the whole thing. She's "relatable" and "on trend". BLECH.

I do hope Etsy gets replaced next season. I think the show would benefit from a lack of her.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:54 AM, LittleIggy said:

Billy’s beef cake looked like a slice of pie. 

When I saw his costume, without having heard what it was supposed to be I thought cow pie. Totally different meaning than beefcake. lol

• Love 11
On 2018-08-15 at 5:42 PM, Kemper said:

Forgot to mention what, to me, is the most glaring thing about this show....that it is on at 10:00 at night!  You would think this would be a show that families could watch together.  What programming is so important that it gets the earlier time slots.  It is almost like the network wants it to fail.  Not edgy enough.

I live on the east coast of Canada. I watch it on Global TV at 8:00

As for the dog costume...I think he said he was consumed by his love for his dog. Hence being eaten and also the heart.

Edited by Machiabelly
Dog stuff
  • Love 1

We have thunderstorms here in Chicagoland tonight, and the 15 minutes I had no power included the last ten minutes of the show, darn It! So, what happened with the women’s sheds and what were the results?

Edited by Sharpie66

I think it made sense that Jo won the second challenge--I think she did a good job of choosing something that suited her and was creative/difficult at the same time.  So glad Billy finally went home.  I think he should have gone sooner, personally.

• Love 7

After watching this, would any of you hire Jo as a designer? I think I'd end up with ruffled pillow shams and a wall full of text art.

I didn't used to have feelings about Etsy one way or the other but now I'm mentally boycotting. They seem to be the major sponsor of the show but that judge and her dumb pronouncements are terrible. I hope she's "too busy" to return next season.

Loved Khiem's hanging lamp. He got so embarrassed when Amy teased him about his astronomy/boinking shed. I think he's the obvious winner, but the TV never listens to me when I shout at it.

• Love 14

I think they chose Jo because her shed was aimed at Etsy's audience. I think she did the least to change her shed into something unexpected. 

I liked Amber's hula hoop shelf. 

I loved Amy's old-style Hollywood accent when Simon gave her the fake phone. "Tell him I hate him! I love him!" I really like her and Nick together, as of course they have great chemistry. 

• Love 13

Ita with Khiem 's lamp award, don't disagree with Jo's shack win, and think it was time for Billy to go home. (Really, the look on his face when Khiem won his patch was akin to being told you have an infectious disease. Unbelieving and unhappy.) I don't know how to make anything except suggestions and bright, cheerful colors always cheer me up so Jo's wall (was it 'shins' she kept calling the wood pieces?) made me happy. I'm glad she's staying. Can't say the same about the judges, however. This time the fellow annoyed me more than the woman, though. "Negligee?" Really? Amy is absolutely right. ..no woman of my acquaintance uses that word. Apart from 1940's movies, did they ever? Note to judges: I don't want to seem harsh, but in future episodes, please refrain from rolling around on anything that remotely resembles a bed. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, tootsie said:

Ita with Khiem 's lamp award, don't disagree with Jo's shack win, and think it was time for Billy to go home. (Really, the look on his face when Khiem won his patch was akin to being told you have an infectious disease. Unbelieving and unhappy.) I don't know how to make anything except suggestions and bright, cheerful colors always cheer me up so Jo's wall (was it 'shins' she kept calling the wood pieces?) made me happy.

Shims, not shins.

Billy was the eyecandy on this show for me, but I'm not sad to see him go because his seething jealousy towards Khiem for racking up the patches was a very unattractive look. 

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I want a larger version of Khiem’s lamp it was absolutely gorgeous. 

I can imagine it as a base and you can add whatever seasonal things you want on the outside.  I would buy one (depending on the price!).

I was a little confused last night.  I assume that the contestants know what the challenge is.  That is unless Khiem just had to have a telescope sitting around.  And last week the doors and porches were already painted the correct colors for the chosen holidays before any work was begun.  But last night, when Amy said that they were going outside, Amber acted totally surprised.  I didn't know if she was just acting surprised or if they the challenges are only given to them in a very general sense.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I want a larger version of Khiem’s lamp it was absolutely gorgeous. 

Would you try to find some (non-flammable) permanent type of frond, or change them out frequently? I really liked that it was natural but would quickly lose interest in keeping it up.

I very much enjoyed Amy and Nick's "lathe" puns. Ha! I'm an easy laugh.

Well, Billy's leaf-covered figure of a huge bird with a light bulb almost wholly obscured in its belly made me laugh, too.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Mystery said:

oved Amy's old-style Hollywood accent when Simon gave her the fake phone. "Tell him I hate him! I love him!"

It made me think of Janet Snakehole!

Nick dancing was the highlight of this episode for me. 

I feel like Etsy’s hairstyle is dated. 

• Love 12
52 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Would you try to find some (non-flammable) permanent type of frond, or change them out frequently?

Bamboo or palm fronds often stay green for awhile and it didn’t look that difficult to switch out though it would also look lovely with some nice fabric.

• Love 3

I LOVED Khiem's shed. I liked his lamp. He's my hands down favorite, but I doubt he'll win. Both ladies are more "on trend" which is exactly why I don't care much for either of them. I liked grama shed but the winning shed was so forking expected. Nothing in it seemed original or personal even though she said it was. Maybe she just doesn't have a very original personality? 

I love Amy and Nick, and enjoy their bits the most. I think as the show has progressed they've become more comfortable in the hosting role and it's flowing better and better. That's a good sign. I'm watching this more for them, and Khiem, not for the crafting. There is very little that has inspired me to want to do it myself. Most of it is stuff I could have come up with on my own if I were so inclined. 

I do hope that next year the replace the judges though, or at least Etsy. She's so basic I can't take her opinion on anything seriously. 

• Love 9

The right person went home.  I didn’t like Amber’s as much, but Billy’s was definitely last place.

This has been a happy little show for me, and I will be sad it’s over after next week.  It isn’t as warm and fuzzy as GBBO, but this is as close as US tv has gotten to capturing that UK magic.  I like the positive vibe, I like the playfulness of the hosts and the contestants.  My only gripe is the judges.  Simon is...meh.  But Dana just has to go.  Every criticism she gives starts with “You know what I wish?” Gah! No, and I don’t care what you wish, Dana! You know what wish? That you would not come back next season, and take all your “retro” 80’s geometric earrings with you (in a box made from up-cycled wood pallets & decoupaged with hand painted, free-range quail egg shells, of course...SO on trend right now!)

• Love 18
6 hours ago, tootsie said:

Ita with Khiem 's lamp award, don't disagree with Jo's shack win, and think it was time for Billy to go home. (Really, the look on his face when Khiem won his patch was akin to being told you have an infectious disease. Unbelieving and unhappy.) I don't know how to make anything except suggestions and bright, cheerful colors always cheer me up so Jo's wall (was it 'shins' she kept calling the wood pieces?) made me happy. I'm glad she's staying. Can't say the same about the judges, however. This time the fellow annoyed me more than the woman, though. "Negligee?" Really? Amy is absolutely right. ..no woman of my acquaintance uses that word. Apart from 1940's movies, did they ever? Note to judges: I don't want to seem harsh, but in future episodes, please refrain from rolling around on anything that remotely resembles a bed. 

Oh, yeah, Simon had he creep factor dialed way up this time. First the “Shag Shack” which I admit we were probably all thinking, but he went on to envision Amber in her negligee, and I’m  pretty sure he asked if Billy’s bar was a topless/nude bar. I’ll have to go back and watch again. 

I didn’t love that Amber hacked up the poor mannequins even more. First hands, then heads... next week should be really gruesome. ? 

I would love to see Khiem win.

Edited by Jessa
  • Love 7

I live on the east coast of Canada. I watch it on Global TV at 8:00

Global TV, are you sure? Because it airs on CTV in Ontario, and I can't see the same show being aired on two competeing networks.

So is next week two hours long (I hope)? With a big grand finale type challenge? 

• Love 1

I normally like Billy's felt, but he was the right person to go home. His shed couldn't compare with the other ones, that were all so detailed and lovely. I especially loved Jo`s, I agree with Simon that those paintbrushes were on point! Yeah, this show isnt quite at GBB standards of pleasantness, but its a fun feel good show to see people being creative and doing what they love, with Nick and Amy doing cute banter. 

The thing that should change? Get rid of Etsy judge! Simon can stay, as he seems to know what he is talking about when it comes to decoration, but I wish they would get someone who is more of an actual artist or crafts-person, not someone who just vapidly goes on about whatever is trending on Etsy today. She seems nice enough, but some of her criticisms make no sense beyond "this is too weird or not on trend" and I never get the feeling that she really knows enough to judge a show like this.

• Love 5

Honestly I kind of liked Billy's shack- I thought he worked his theme well.  Khiem's roof was neat, but I found his the most underwhelming in terms of "crafting" - the roof was done with the help of the crew and the only other thing he really built was the bed.  I definitely think based on past history Billy should have gone home and am shocked to realize he even made it to the final 4, but going just on the final challenge I thought Khiem's was the weakest.  The lamp challenge was forgettable to me - I have to keep double checking previous comments to even remember what the challenge was.  That said, while I thought Billy's shack was fine his lamp was a total bust - didn't actually let any light through. 

Etsy judge has not grown on me, and I'm not sure I how I feel about Simon after his comments this week.  I'm excited to see the finale - it will be interesting to see them working on a wedding.

• Love 8

I've watched all five episodes over the last few days, and am going to be sad when it's gone. Hurray for season two, though!

The things that have stuck with me after the mini-binge:

• Jeffrey's quilt and photo album were robbed of the win.
  • Nicole's tortilla mountain was quite possibly one of the most unappetizing things I've ever seen.
  • Khiem might have won the shed competition were it not for the truly unforgivable fake brick. If he had slightly better interiors I think he would have been a lock. (Combining the herringbone wall of Jo's with the observatory feature of Khiem's = my dream shed.)
  • Amber is going to win, right? It seems so obvious, and my little Khiem loving heart is going to be kind of sad. 
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, Jessa said:

Oh, yeah, Simon had he creep factor dialed way up this time. First the “Shag Shack” which I admit we were probably all thinking, but he went on to envision Amber in her negligee, and I’m  pretty sure he asked if Billy’s bar was a topless/nude bar. I’ll have to go back and watch again. 

I didn’t love that Amber hacked up the poor mannequins even more. First hands, then heads... next week should be really gruesome. ? 

I would love to see Khiem win.

I didn't hear anything about the "topless" shed and don't know why Simon would care, since he's gay. Although he did make that comment about negligees. Maybe that's what he wears when he's lounging around???

Amber's mannequin heads looked like something you'd see in a discount beauty supply shop, and I hated that she reversed one of the wallpaper sheets. It looked so shlocky. And why use a paper with such a HUGE repeat in a teeny tiny space? Again, her place look very "Etsy" and on trend, rather than anticipating the trends. Her hula hoop wall shelf is a style that's very trendy right now. And why was Etsy judge so shocked it was made from hula hoops? I'm sure it's one of the items in their stash of materiél.

I didn't mind Billy's that much -- at least his signage was much MUCH better done than his taco truck -- but he left on body of work, I'm sure. I'm with others. Shocked he made it so far.

Jo's shed is something I've seen before. I liked the paint brushes as a look, but it would be expensive to do for real. The shim colors were a bit too juvenile for me, and the way she mounted them to her window box was kind of useless since the flowers draping over them obscured the design.

LOVED the lathe jokes.

O.k. folks, see you lather!

P.S.  Oops, meant to say all my vibes are going out to Khiem!

Edited by carrps
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, carrps said:

I didn't hear anything about the "topless" shed and don't know why Simon would care, since he's gay. Although he did make that comment about negligees. Maybe that's what he wears when he's lounging around???

Amber's mannequin heads looked like something you'd see in a discount beauty supply shop, and I hated that she reversed one of the wallpaper sheets. It looked so shlocky. And why use a paper with such a HUGE repeat in a teeny tiny space? Again, her place look very "Etsy" and on trend, rather than anticipating the trends. Her hula hoop wall shelf is a style that's very trendy right now. And why was Etsy judge so shocked it was made from hula hoops? I'm sure it's one of the items in their stash of materiél.

I didn't mind Billy's that much -- at least his signage was much MUCH better done than his taco truck -- but he left on body of work, I'm sure. I'm with others. Shocked he made it so far.

Jo's shed is something I've seen before. I liked the paint brushes as a look, but it would be expensive to do for real. The shim colors were a bit too juvenile for me, and the way she mounted them to her window box was kind of useless since the flowers draping over them obscured the design.

LOVED the lathe jokes.

O.k. folks, see you lather!

P.S.  Oops, meant to say all my vibes are going out to Khiem!

I went back and checked and when they asked first talking to Billy about his project (not during the judging) Simon asks if the bar is “clothing optional.” I get that it’s a reference to the Mardi Gras beads, but somehow the shag shack plus asking if the bar is clothing optional, plus the suggestion that Amber chill in a negligee... he was lathe-ing on the sex references pretty thick. haha  

• Love 6

Honestly I kind of liked Billy's shack- I thought he worked his theme well.  Khiem's roof was neat, but I found his the most underwhelming in terms of "crafting" - the roof was done with the help of the crew and the only other thing he really built was the bed. 

Billy's was my favorite. I would hang out in that shed. And ITA about Khiem's shed. I will also take the unpopular table for one and say I didn't really care for his lamp. Something about the fronds looked kind of janky to me. Normally I love his stuff, but not this week. And I agree with the poster before who found Jo's shed underwhelming. Nothing new there, although it did look cute, I guess.

• Love 5

I loved the floor and wall in Jo’s shed. I adored how horrified they all were about the brick wallpaper in Khiem’s shed. I really liked Amber’s lamp. If she had spray painted the popcorn, I think she would have won. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I loved the floor and wall in Jo’s shed. I adored how horrified they all were about the brick wallpaper in Khiem’s shed. I really liked Amber’s lamp. If she had spray painted the popcorn, I think she would have won. 

I liked her lamp, I just wish she had stained it or something so the wood looked more finished.

I liked Kheim's concept but the room looked a lot less finished because it needed the room to open the bed.

Billy's shed was a little too crowded.  With the bar and the stage, there wouldn't have been any room for people.  I loved his voodoo dolls.  And I like the flag but it should've been flying outside on a flagpole (like I see them on homes), it got lost in the corner.

Jo was absolutely right about keeping the desk plain.  The wall was cool.  And with the floor, the paintbrushes, and the bradded ceiling, the desk needed to be plain.  Not to mention, there may be crafts that need a flat, smooth surface instead of something textured like was suggested.  I liked her shed the best.

Amber should have said no to the wallpaper and just painted the wall.  Also, AstroTurf is not something I would want to walk barefoot on and since it was a lounge space...  I don't know, maybe AstroTurf is softer now than what I am thinking of.

Simon was Randy tonight.  Someone had snogging on his mind.  ?

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

Billy's shed was a little too crowded.  With the bar and the stage, there wouldn't have been any room for people.  I loved his voodoo dolls.  And I like the flag but it should've been flying outside on a flagpole (like I see them on homes), it got lost in the corner.

I loved Billy's shed. It was so fun. The voodoo dolls were great. I do agree, the flag should have been doing it's flag thing and flapping in the wind. That would have made it feel more festive. I loved his porch rail though.

12 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

Amber should have said no to the wallpaper and just painted the wall.

That wallpaper reminded me of Blanche's bedroom on Golden Girls. I kind of loved it.

Ranking the lamps I'd say: Amber, Kheim, Billy (I liked his idea but there was really no light coming from that light), Jo (it looked like something my mother made in the 70s. Not my thing)

Ranking the sheds I'd say: Billy (it looked like a fun place to hang out and drink some beer), Kheim, it might have been sparse but I love astronomy so that alone was a win for me, Amber (because of the Golden Girls wallpaper and the hula hoop shelf which I thought was a great idea) Jo (because it felt very derivative and overly busy.)

• Love 3

I didn't have a problem with Billy leaving, though I liked his shed.  I hate that the judges complained that he didn't do felt work.  One moment they want people to have range and the next they ding them for not doing their "specialty".

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I loved Billy's shed. It was so fun. The voodoo dolls were great. I do agree, the flag should have been doing it's flag thing and flapping in the wind. 

Oh, that reminds me. Etsy lady's comment about wanting Billy's flag to be 3D. Whaaa? It's a flag. He had the voodoo dolls for the 3D element. A 3D flag is just stupid.

Edited by carrps
left over detritus from editing comment being replied to
  • Love 17