Type keyword(s) to search

Making It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just got around to watching the final shows. Agree that running all 6 episodes so tightly was a mistake. There's a real dearth of crafting shows on tv and I just love this one, the hosts too. I do agree that more time spent on the actual creating and less on backstories and silly antics would be ideal.

The shed should have been the finale. The party concept (and the wedding finale last year) takes too much time away, what with the explaining and the extra people who now need screen time too.

I thought Lilly's party room was the best-crafted of the three. Everything was very precise. However, the theme was weird; if your five-year-old still won't sleep in her own ed, a party won't get her there.

Pronouncing macaron as macaroon bugged me too. Two different cookies.

Justine's records were kind of messy up close, and her record box invitation bugged me because the writing was too sloppy and the two big knobs were not aligned (which is how a retro radio/record player would have looked).  

Jessie might have been too artsy for the show, and not crafty enough. Ask any serious maker; there's a huge difference between arts and crafts.

ON 12/12/2019 AT 1:31 PM,  DLEIGHG SAID: 

I agree. I loved her periscopes. When she first described them I didn't realize she was going to use mirrors so that she could get three different views all in a row. Very, very cool!

This was me; I thought oh cool, you can go look through telescopes, but I didn't realize that you didn't have to go look; she had made them into windows where you could just sit and have a view. 

Don't all periscopes have mirrors, isn't that the concept of how they work? 

A periscope and telescope are two very different things. 

Edited by Shermie
  • Love 2
On 5/13/2020 at 4:12 PM, biakbiak said:

I don’t watch The Voice but apparently Eagen’s dad is a finalist.

I just now watched Making It--after forgetting it was on my DVR--and I'd been wondering the whole time if Eagen was related to the Voice guy because the backstory looked similar. Thanks for confirming that.

I enjoyed the show. I loved Jessie. She just blew me away. but I thought all were talented and I liked the niceness of the whole thing. Unlike others, I loved the Nick and Amy content. My favorite part was during the shed piece and Lilly mentioned how she'd love her husband to see her shed--and Nick responds by telling her good news. . .. we filmed this! 🙂 You just expect with the pause 'your husband is here!!' It just cracked me up.

As much as I loved Jessie, I didn't think her final project was her best work. Some of the cardboard creations on the table were a little rough. But overall she was unreal.

I agree with less backstory--especially repetitive backstory. However, I like a bit of it just to make people more human/real to me. To look at Jessie's skill (and to be superficial, her pretty looks), I would not have guessed depression was part of her story. Somehow knowing that helped me "get" how everyone has their struggles and not to assume "wow you are great at this; your life must be awesome!" 

• Love 3

Did anyone see the holiday crafting show on hgtv?  Very similar to this show so was wondering if Making It branched out to HGTV with the format?  I enjoyed it.  I haven’t seen Jay in years...since my America’s Next Top Model days.  I loved they spent so much time on the crafts and not too much random jokes in between—for me that is the one thing that is overdone on Making It.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, alexa said:

Did anyone see the holiday crafting show on hgtv?  Very similar to this show so was wondering if Making It branched out to HGTV with the format?  I enjoyed it.  I haven’t seen Jay in years...since my America’s Next Top Model days.  I loved they spent so much time on the crafts and not too much random jokes in between—for me that is the one thing that is overdone on Making It.

I saw it and liked it much better than Making It because it focused on the crafters and what they were doing instead of on Amy (and Nick to a lesser extent) making the show all about herself.  I had no idea who any of the judges were but they were fine and basically unobtrusive if you don't count Jay's wardrobe.  (I liked him.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

Premieres on NBC on the 24th. I don't really use Hulu, are they generally a day later than the networks? 

Oooh, yes!  I forgot about that and I usually stream almost everything the day after instead of watching it live on the broadcast night!

Supersmart Superclam!  

• LOL 2
On 6/17/2021 at 6:03 PM, Superclam said:

I don't really use Hulu, are they generally a day later than the networks? 

For anyone who doesn't have Hulu, the first 2 seasons are available on Peacock which has free levels available and might have season 3.

• Love 1

I liked many of the crafts.  I didn’t feel the one with the baskets on the wall was as strong as some of the others, but maybe the difficulty was there and just didn’t capture that visually.  

• Love 4

So. Much. Crying.  I agree with the one contestant that said please no more "personal" challenges.   This is supposed to be a light, fun show about creativity not who can come up with the biggest sob story and flood the barn with tears.  

I seem to recall season two airing over 2 or 3 weeks so at lest this one doesn't seem to be moving at a breakneck pace.   The Nick and Amy bits also seem a bit toned down too.

• Love 11

Bearded dude is unimpressive so far. 

Not impressed by the sawed off tennis rackets.

I loved the wooden baseball cards, that tapestry and that miniature garden.

Maria: change your lipstick.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

So. Much. Crying.  I agree with the one contestant that said please no more "personal" challenges.   This is supposed to be a light, fun show about creativity not who can come up with the biggest sob story and flood the barn with tears.  

I seem to recall season two airing over 2 or 3 weeks so at lest this one doesn't seem to be moving at a breakneck pace.   The Nick and Amy bits also seem a bit toned down too.

OMG, yes! I got so sick of the sob stories! Please no more of that. 🙏🏻 
That aside, glad Making It is back.

2 hours ago, alexa said:

I liked many of the crafts.  I didn’t feel the one with the baskets on the wall was as strong as some of the others, but maybe the difficulty was there and just didn’t capture that visually.  

The tire muscled torso made me go 😳!

• Love 4
(edited)

I love this show so much! I am so glad it is back. I don't even care about the tears about the personal challenges. I'm not skilled enough to go on this kind of show but I want to earn those patches so badly! 

This is also a show where I would be totally happy if they didn't send anyone home and at the end of the show, whomever had the most patches wins. 

I was confused about the two added people. I wonder if they just made it through quarantine? I am assuming this show was filmed during COVID. 

Edited by joanne3482
  • Love 16
(edited)

I guess the show is doubling down on being "feel good" and "positive" and never giving any actually useful critiques. I mean, are these baskets...good? Are they...even round?

Temp.thumb.jpg.730a3d63100844c4299a93c30359d6fa.jpg

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, Corgi-ears said:

I guess the show is doubling down on being "feel good" and "positive" and never giving any actually useful critiques. I mean, are these baskets...good? Are they...even round?

But...but one of them had a tear jerking story attached to it. 😏

• Love 4

I could do with less of the punning around.

13 hours ago, mertensia said:

that tapestry

It reminded me of rugs I made as a teenager (in the 70s) with pre-cut tubes of yarn, a latch hook, and plastic net material. Very cool how she did it, and how well it turned out.

And was the reference to "Peacock Donuts" a sly play on "Four Seasons Landscaping"?

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I didn't like the portrait of the two moms. It's a nice story, but I thought it looked amateur. 

I loved that. It might have been my favorite. I was also wowed by the tapestry. The muscular torso was also very impressive. I was wondering about Blake after seeing his pineapple toy because, to me, that looked really amateurish. I wondered how he got on the show. But then seeing the pics of the tire sculptures he's done answered that question.

I agree about the African baskets being kinda meh. Plus, it seemed like aside from the center one with the tree and family, the other four baskets simply had designs unrelated to the assignment.

Loved nearly all of the Faster Crafts. The collapsible doll was perfect. The miniature garden was lovely, and I hope we see more of her miniatures. The affirmation box was pretty good, though I was disappointed the top didn't pop up completely.

I love Amy and Nick's interstitial banter and also their reactions and talk with the makers.

As for streaming the show: I was disappointed that it was not on Hulu. I went to NBC and had to sign up for their free, limited viewings. Looks like I get to watch three episodes. I hope by then I'll have other (free) choices somewhere. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

My question was: what is the story behind the other baskets?

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I love Amy and Nick's interstitial banter and also their reactions and talk with the makers.

To each his own, I guess.  I don't mind Nick but I can't stand Amy and it's a mystery to me why anyone thinks she's funny.  I thought the show wasted a lot of time during previous seasons showing them making silly comments to each other.  I hoped they would do less of that this time around but it seemed even worse.  

It was obvious that the contestants knew what the challenges would be well ahead of time.  A lot of them even brought stuff from home.  If that was true on previous seasons, I've forgotten.  I liked everything except the baskets and the affirmation box.  

I don't begin to understand adding contestants after the competition has started and then having the people in the original group run over and hug them with glee.  Gag.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, mlp said:

I don't begin to understand adding contestants after the competition has started and then having the people in the original group run over and hug them with glee.

yeah, like WTH? These people got a late flight in? Their Covid tests ran late? WHY?

And I'm with you on Amy. Too much. Not particularly funny. The little comment Nick threw in about cheerleaders (after she said they'd never had a retired athlete) seemed candid, and that was pretty funny.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

As for streaming the show: I was disappointed that it was not on Hulu. I went to NBC and had to sign up for their free, limited viewings. Looks like I get to watch three episodes. I hope by then I'll have other (free) choices somewhere. 

I just watched it on Hulu.  I've always had to wait until late the next day for it to appear.  I'm in Central time zone, and It wasn't available at 3:00 pm, but it was at 7:30pm.  

Not a bad start.  I still want the damn apron and the badges! 

I think we agreed last season that if the network made them available for sale, they'd make huge $$$!  *LOL*

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I guess Etsy bailed as the sponsor?

I noticed that-- and they didn't mention the female judge's affiliation with them. Did she lose her job there? They just called her a "trend spotter" or something like that.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1

I thought the central basket with the figures on it was really beautiful. 

The tire torso was unlike anything I've ever seen before, and I would want the flower portrait table in my own home. The rug was pretty extraordinary. The baseball cards were fine enough but definitely not my winner!

Bringing two new people at the end felt very strange, as did all the hugging and crying from everyone else. I just need people to take it down a few notches! Too many feelings!

• Love 12

I just don't get why they send anybody home in these kinds of competitions. 

If they would just score everyone's crafts each week, based on 3-4 objective criteria and maybe one subjective, personal feels kinda criteria, then an amazingly talented contestant could maybe have one "off" round, and not be penalized with a booting & trip home.

All the points get added up at the end, and the one with the most points wins.  How is this such an impossible, difficult and bizzaro concept for a competitive reality show?  Seriously?  I think this would be such a PERFECT show to do that with. 

• Love 24
43 minutes ago, leighdear said:

All the points get added up at the end, and the one with the most points wins.  How is this such an impossible, difficult and bizzaro concept for a competitive reality show?  Seriously?  I think this would be such a PERFECT show to do that with.

the problem is that by halfway through or so you could have a bunch of folks who are mathematically eliminated. There would be no point in them sticking around anymore. 

On 6/26/2021 at 1:38 PM, Whimsy said:

I love this show. I love ALL of it. I love Amy and Nick and their banter and puns, I love how good-natured all of the contestants are and how supportive of each other they are, I love seeing the different mediums. I’m not a crafter of any kind (we’ll, I make cupcakes and stuff out of fondant, so kind of, but also not really lol), so seeing the creativity amd skill always blows my mind. I’m glad they didn’t send anyone “home” (or wherever they were quarantined) after the personal master craft. I know last year many of us complained about sending someone home after they made something so personal. 

I guess the one thing I don’t love are the judges. I don’t really like either of them.

I’m glad this show is back and I can just enjoy pleasant people on my TV. Feels like something I really needed right now. 

Agree on both counts. I love this show and the Amy & Nick banter. I could skip a little of the sobbing this episode. 

I like Simon, but I don't really care much for the other lady. Amy & Nick could be the judges and skip the other two. 

• Love 7

I started working on miniatures as a hobby during the pandemic,  so I was excited to see one of the contestants specializing in miniatures. The awesome little garden she made in 3 hours would have taken me weeks! 

I hope bearded guy steps it up too... as a Pacific Northwester, I love the Oregon Coast and hope he can represent it a little more creatively in future challenges.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Iseut said:

I started working on miniatures as a hobby during the pandemic,  so I was excited to see one of the contestants specializing in miniatures. The awesome little garden she made in 3 hours would have taken me weeks! 

I thought that one should have won, it was my favorite.  You could make different sets of trees to represent the changing seasons, golds & reds for fall, covered with "snow" for winter, maybe cherry blossoms for Spring, etc.  

And with a point system, if a maker (sorry, I hate that term!) gets below a certain score level, they could opt to voluntarily go home, or do an "extra credit" craft to up their score total.  Of course, they could only opt to do that a single time.  If it didn't score them back within the pack, they go home.  

Lots of competition shows have "second chance" options built in.  I just always want to see as many crafts as possible!

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 5

What was that weird thing at the end where they were saying 'we are sending people home just not tonight'?  was it truly a change in direction, or just not explained well in the first episode that it was only for that night?

Found this online:

No, they weren't quite able to avoid sending anyone home all season, but they do mess with the format to add even more positivity to a show brimming with joy and wonder. 

"We ultimately want to be the first competition show that never eliminates anyone," jokes Offerman. "But at least through one episode, we've tricked the network. So that's Nick and Amy: 1, NBC: 0. Or something like that."

Not really sure of the point, to not send someone home on the first night is fine, but their talk was misleading

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I wonder if the tire guy is a one way monkey one trick pony. His pineapple looked a bit rough. I hope he surprises me! I'm glad they didn't eliminate anyone the first night. I don't feel like we've seen what they can do after one episode. 

@Whimsy if you like this style of gentle competition, you should check out  UK shows like Great British Sewing Bee and Great Pottery Throwdown. They are superb! And no sob stories!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
(edited)

I have always loved this show, but after getting more into crafts during lockdown, I am extra excited! I am certainly not in the league of any of the people on the show by any means, but it makes me appreciate their artistic process even more. 

Nick and Amy's banter is still hilarious, the art projects are cute and interesting, its great to have this show back again. 

Those miniatures might have been my favorite, so adorable. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 12

I love the cookie challenge - the chickens were adorable, the birch tree forest was awesome and those madeleine and licorice beetles were inspired.

I also love that it wasn't just a book exchange but that it could be anything. I agree that Daddy-O's needed a punch of wow. I actually liked Maria's but it was incomplete. I'm also happy Kaviya toned down colors for her exchange.

• Love 6