Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

S01.E05: Closer

Recommended Posts

Quote

Despite a potential serial killer on the loose in the community, Wind Gap residents gather for Calhoun Day, an annual southern-pride festival hosted by Adora on the grounds of her house. As Amma and her friends act out a traditional play depicting the sacrifices made by the wife of a Confederate soldier, Adora shares confidences with Richard that may impact his relationship with Camille.

 

Share this post


Link to post

1 minute ago, Tvfangirl said:

The scene with Adora and Camille was BRUTAL!

Which one? I felt a bit frustrated with Camille at the dress shop. I guess she was trying to downplay but why not just grab the long-sleeved dress as she was going into the dressing room. I hope too she explains why she cuts full words. It's a very specific methodology. 

But I do like how underplayed the veranda scene was with them. It starts out so normal. Camille is a bit passive and trying to smooth things over and Adora lets her. And then Adora just digs in the knife without even telegraphing it. She could have been discussing how well the pork tasted that day. 

And finally seeing all these characters in one place was a lot of fun. And well-managed. GOT tried to do this for one wedding scene and it was really awkward. This felt very clear. The geography made sense mostly. And the sight-lines. 

I can't remember the character's name, but the older lady on the veranda, the brassy one, I think she clued in that Amma was on something. I hope that plays out.

Although, is a pity party a real thing? Just wondering. My friends would never ever do that. We'd do a GOT marathon.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

 How about Calhoun Day... what a horrid tradition to celebrate every year! Granted in their outcome of the play the heroine was saved. But when they lit up the "fire" and everyone all but cheered, I thought no wonder this town has so many troubles.

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post

Adora almost pays Camille a compliment, calling her a rare rose to Richard.  Then says not without thorns.

She says Camille is ruined because of the markings but she'd already passed judgement on her, blaming Camille's father.  Did Camille have to scream into that dress because she was exposed to Adora and Amma or because of more judgement from Adora?

When Amma ran off (still not clear why, because she was smiling or giggling while doing the play, right up to when the fight broke out), the obvious place to check was that shed but you had all these men running around in the forest aimlessly.

 

By now, it's surprising that Camille would be so upset by Adora saying that she never loved her, because of her father, that she expected she would be bad from birth.  So Camille runs to the detective for some lovin', some validation?  But she can't disrobe in front of him, so Richard isn't loving her true self?

Now was that Messina doing the full monty for the scene or some prosthetic -- would be a rather large prosthetic too?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, jeansheridan said:

Which one? I felt a bit frustrated with Camille at the dress shop. I guess she was trying to downplay but why not just grab the long-sleeved dress as she was going into the dressing room. I hope too she explains why she cuts full words. It's a very specific methodology. 

But I do like how underplayed the veranda scene was with them. It starts out so normal. Camille is a bit passive and trying to smooth things over and Adora lets her. And then Adora just digs in the knife without even telegraphing it. She could have been discussing how well the pork tasted that day. 

And finally seeing all these characters in one place was a lot of fun. And well-managed. GOT tried to do this for one wedding scene and it was really awkward. This felt very clear. The geography made sense mostly. And the sight-lines. 

I can't remember the character's name, but the older lady on the veranda, the brassy one, I think she clued in that Amma was on something. I hope that plays out.

Although, is a pity party a real thing? Just wondering. My friends would never ever do that. We'd do a GOT marathon.

That's our beloved Jackie! Yep, she saw it straight off. Unlike dipsy Adora who is clueless.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

9 minutes ago, ferjy said:

That's our beloved Jackie! Yep, she saw it straight off. Unlike dipsy Adora who is clueless.

Thank you! Jackie had most excellent hair in this episode too. And weirdly Adora looked older than usual. Maybe being in outside light? That said, if Richard wasn't a tad bit taken with her, he's an odd duck. Clarkson just has charisma.

I also think the sheriff's wife is one sharp cookie. Something else I hope plays out. She was clocking where he was looking throughout the day. 

One of the boys mimed humping Amma when they were tying her to the tree. It's a real classy "observance". 

And I'm a bit saddened that the music/acting teacher was also one of the predators who went after Camille back in the day (the flashbacks were so much better this episode, making it clear who these people are to Camille). It's creepy how banal evil is in this town. And I get why Richard is holding his tongue, but I so wish we had more outsiders to point out the sickness.

Also, Adora's poor maid had to cook for this messed up event. I'm so bad at names. She has a name, right? Viola? 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, jeansheridan said:

Thank you! Jackie had most excellent hair in this episode too. And weirdly Adora looked older than usual. Maybe being in outside light? That said, if Richard wasn't a tad bit taken with her, he's an odd duck. Clarkson just has charisma.

I also think the sheriff's wife is one sharp cookie. Something else I hope plays out. She was clocking where he was looking throughout the day. 

One of the boys mimed humping Amma when they were tying her to the tree. It's a real classy "observance". 

And I'm a bit saddened that the music/acting teacher was also one of the predators who went after Camille back in the day (the flashbacks were so much better this episode, making it clear who these people are to Camille). It's creepy how banal evil is in this town. And I get why Richard is holding his tongue, but I so wish we had more outsiders to point out the sickness.

Also, Adora's poor maid had to cook for this messed up event. I'm so bad at names. She has a name, right? Viola? 

Was he? I wasn't sure. I thought so at first but then figured my eyes must be deceiving me and he must have just been swaying. When it panned to the crowd they were all smiling pleasantly. What a bunch of weirdos!

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

so she wandered off and threw a mighty fit to get the attention back.

I totally agree. She was annoyed Camille wasn't watching her. Jackie also seemed to see that too. She makes the most of her 30 seconds of screen time.  

I don't think an ivory floor would last all that long. My friend has a piano with ivory keys (very old Steinway) and the keys are fragile. But honestly look like plastic keys! They gross me out a bit.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

That kid was definitely pantomiming rape. I was so disgusted I think my lip actually curled. Who writes this stuff? These people deserve their shitty, dead-end lives in this shitty town.

Is Vickery an old suitor of Adora's or what is the deal there? Adora is a tease and a flirt? I felt sorry for his wife.

Poor Camille. The way that Adora casually dropped that line about never loving her was so brutal.

Yeah, the kid on the left (Amma's right) was definitely thrusting toward/nearly against Amma. Creepy little shit.

Either Jackie or one of the women standing with her said that the "Crellin women like boys with badges", referring to Camille early on in the day when she was walking with Richard, but I assume that was also a reference to Adora and the chief.

I only realized with this episode that the song played during the opening credits is different every week.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I only realized with this episode that the song played during the opening credits is different every week.

 

I noticed that a couple of weeks ago and I've disliked them all.

13 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

I don't think an ivory floor would last all that long. 

Maybe if every crazy generation of women in that family hardly ever let anyone walk on it and then only barefoot when they did, it might last.

Edited by SHD
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

One of the saddest things about Camille is that she's so used to Adora constantly criticizing her and withholding affection that she can't accept a simple compliment from her boss. He could barely even finish saying, "I'm proud of you," before she hung up on him.

Adora had the nerve to accuse Camille and her father of being full of spite, yet Adora is the one who forced Camille to show her scars. If that isn't spiteful, I don't know what is.

After all the muted colors and simple dresses we've seen on Adora so far, her dress at the party was surprisingly colorful and whimsical.

Adora is such a sneaky snake. She lures Camille to have a drink with her and begins with an apology and then casually mentions that she never loved her. Obviously Camille has felt that way all her life, but to have Adora actually say it to her face? FUCKED UP. And you know that Adora did it to punish her because she blames Camille's mere presence for Calhoun Day not being perfect.

I already agreed with Richard on principle that having Calhoun Day seemed like a bad idea. Let's take a bunch of people who are on edge, put them in close proximity, give them free alcohol, and see what happens! Seeing all the pointed looks and unspoken words during the event reminded me of high school where you know you're stuck there all day and you just have to do your best to avoid the people most likely to antagonize you. There were so many potential fights brewing that Adora's lucky only one broke out. Her over the top histrionics after Amma ran off were ridiculous. Like Amma, she just needs all that drama and attention.

Poor Alan. After Adora declared that they had to go to town to find something for Camille to wear to the party, she made sure to tell Alan that this was for the girls only. His response: "Yes, dear." A few minutes later she yelled his name because apparently neither she nor Camille is up to the manly task of driving to the dress shop so Alan gets to play chauffeur and then sit in the car waiting for them. Fun!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/6/2018 at 5:27 AM, SHD said:

I noticed that a couple of weeks and I've disliked them all.

Maybe if every crazy generation of women in that family hardly ever let anyone walk on it and then only barefoot when they did, it might last.

And had the maid buff it every day. I’m sure it’s stunning but too high maintenance for me!

 

On 8/6/2018 at 5:42 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

One of the saddest things about Camille is that she's so used to Adora constantly criticizing her and withholding affection that she can't accept a simple compliment from her boss. He could barely even finish saying, "I'm proud of you," before she hung up on him.

Adora had the nerve to accuse Camille and her father of being full of spite, yet Adora is the one who forced Camille to show her scars. If that isn't spiteful, I don't know what is.

After all the muted colors and simple dresses we've seen on Adora so far, her dress at the party was surprisingly colorful and whimsical.

Adora is such a sneaky snake. She lures Camille to have a drink with her and begins with an apology and then casually mentions that she never loved her. Obviously Camille has felt that way all her life, but to have Adora actually say it to her face? FUCKED UP. And you know that Adora did it to punish her because she blames Camille's mere presence for Calhoun Day not being perfect.

I already agreed with Richard on principle that having Calhoun Day seemed like a bad idea. Let's take a bunch of people who are on edge, put them in close proximity, give them free alcohol, and see what happens! Seeing all the pointed looks and unspoken words during the event reminded me of high school where you know you're stuck there all day and you just have to do your best to avoid the people most likely to antagonize you. There were so many potential fights brewing that Adora's lucky only one broke out. Her over the top histrionics after Amma ran off were ridiculous. Like Amma, she just needs all that drama and attention.

From my experience, people who vehemently complain about something are usually the worst offenders of that particular thing.
 

 

On 8/6/2018 at 2:00 AM, bilgistic said:

Yeah, the kid on the left (Amma's right) was definitely thrusting toward/nearly against Amma. Creepy little shit.

Either Jackie or one of the women standing with her said that the "Crellin women like boys with badges", referring to Camille early on in the day when she was walking with Richard, but I assume that was also a reference to Adora and the chief.

I only realized with this episode that the song played during the opening credits is different every week.

 

And at that point the camera swung over to a group of men in the crowd where one of them was covering the eyes of another, as in “You’re too young to see this,” or maybe because he was the boy’s father, and they all laughed. Sick senses of humor. We were commenting in another show thread why people stayed in the town there that was riddled with various horrors. At least that was a fantasy horror show and expected. I think I’d rather reside in that town than in Wind Gap!
 

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

Well, hello Chris Messina! I'm glad she has at least one decent person in her corner. I just hope that he doesn't turn out to be a bad person, like everyone else. that town is riddled with them. 

Were they hinting at something between Amma, and one of the boys? Was she upset by not having the attention of her sister, or the detective, or did she see someone else? She looked disturbed just before the fight broke out. 

Her mother is fucked up. It's obvious that she has no affection for her daughter, but to say it outright is despicable. She lightened up around the detective, and that seemed to bother her mother. 

 

On 8/5/2018 at 9:29 PM, jeansheridan said:

 

Although, is a pity party a real thing? Just wondering. My friends would never ever do that. We'd do a GOT marathon.

I saw Beaches once, as a kid, and that was enough. I'd prefer something funny or spooky, not sobbing with a group of people. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Adora gives a shit about murders or anything else but herself. It obvious that Calhoun day does nothing but affirm that her family rules this horrible town. The ugliness of that celebration was awful. Adora is masterful in her genteel charm. The guy in the Confederate flag sleeveless t shirt was a sight and often in the center of scenes. The scars were actually a little underwhelming. I think Camille kind of wanted Adora to face the damage she has done to her,not that Adora would ever take responsibility for anything. I find it interesting that Adora is like a duchess or a queen in that town. My husband and I both had mothers that came from once prosperous families and both of our mothers had narcissistic tendencies. His mother was pretty extreme and not as clever as Adora. I think the murder mystery will probably disappoint and the real meat will be the character studies. This really was the best episode so far. It kind of made everything come together.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Celebrating Calhoun Day is one thing.  Every town has their founder and no matter how messed up it is, celebrating the birth of your community is a nice tradition.  That being said the play was seriously messed up and I have a high tolerance for messed up on tv.  But this might have been a bit much.  Reenacting child rape as a celebration is beyond messed up.  

You can see how fascinated everyone is at having Camille back in town.  The bad apple from the good tree.   I know we aren’t done with the story but I am surprised she has stayed this long.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I had a few questions.

-Last week did I imagine Alan holding a gun and going into Adora's room? Or was that a Camille memory/fever dream?

-Was the teacher's wife eyeballing him and Amma?

-Did the show mess up costuming? Amma was in costume with her friends, hair up and fancy when Camille woke up. But she had on a sundress and hair down to the dress store. For a show that messes with time/memory seems like like a big error.

-This is the first episode when Amy Adams really let me see just how damaged the adult Camille is from pre-Marian  death Camille. Young Camille will sneak into the room to grab a camera. Adult Camille can't retrieve a bottle.

-But Alan walks into the room, no problem, right?  I really hope Alan will do something soon. That is too good of an actor to sideline for a whole show.

Edited by jeansheridan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

But Alan walks into the room, no problem, right?  

Like Camille, he lingers just outside the door in the hallway. He doesn't walk into the room until Adora gives him permission to enter by asking him to zip up the back of her dress.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo · Reason: Missing a letter
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Did I imagine it or did Amma and one of the boys drop acid or take some kind of drug before the play? 

I will overlook Chris Messina’s tightie blackie underwear because he is so hot and sexy . 

Vickery’s wife knows something is up with Adora and her man. 

Does Mr Lacy feel guilty for his part in Camille’s assault or whatever that was ?

Spoiler

Could Mr Lacy be wondering if Amma is his or one of the other guy’s daughter ? I still get the feeling that Amma is Camille’s daughter from the sex in the woods with multiple boys. 

Upset or not, I felt like Camille should have marched into Amma’s room and asked her what the Hell that stunt was all about. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Juliegirlj said:

Did I imagine it or did Amma and one of the boys drop acid or take some kind of drug before the play? 

Yes, they showed Amma and one of the boys putting something on their tongues. It looked like they were inside the house just before Adora came inside and found them supposedly looking at the dollhouse. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Jackie's hair at Calhoun Day was massively spectacular; I'm pretty sure smaller objects were caught in its gravitational pull.  Her whole look was "1973 Key Party" (youngsters may have to Google).  I can't wait for Tom and Lorenzo to start their costuming reviews of this show!

And Adora's dress was a big plate of WTF?  I mean, it looked like there were macramé Muppets on the bodice...

Edited by Penman61
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

And what I saw of Amma in the end was her watching Camille not pay attention to her and later Adora and others not giving her attention, so she wandered off and threw a mighty fit to get the attention back.

I saw that, too.  She kept getting tight-lipped and angry when she saw Camille was talking with Richard and not paying attention to her - the star of the show!  And even angrier when Adora and the others turned their backs on her - the star of the show! - to see the fight.  Then she had a hissy-fit and ran away into the woods.  I also thought Amma was careful to partially hide behind the tree until someone showed up, so she could then run into the shack and be found. 

Amma also had a hissy-fit at the store when Adora was focusing on a dress for Camille instead of her.  Narcissistic drama queens don't fall far from the tree.

10 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

I totally agree. She was annoyed Camille wasn't watching her. Jackie also seemed to see that too. She makes the most of her 30 seconds of screen time.

Jackie saw all of Amma's facial expressions, where she was looking when her face fell and she got upset, everything.  Jackie sees all.

Edited by izabella
  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post

Patricia Clarkson should win all of the awards. She has been amazing. I want to hate Adora but I’m actually just in awe. Adora is a force of nature and no one in that town is her equal, the one exception could be Jackie but I’m not sure. I want to know who Camille’s people are, the Preaker’s. I noticed two things in the flashback: one Adora said the Calhoun’s (her people) had the house but the Preaker’s had the money and two, Camille was not included in the photo of the magazine profile of the home, it was just Marian and Adora. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

I noticed two things in the flashback: one Adora said the Calhoun’s (her people) had the money but the Preaker’s had the house

I think it was the other way around.  The Preakers had the money (from the Preaker pig farm) and the Calhouns had the house.

Edited by izabella
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Ok between this show, True Detective Season 1 and True Blood, there seems to be a lot of sexual crimes happening in the rural South.

Is it valid or is it outsiders portraying these small towns a certain way?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

This may have been my favourite episode so far. I was starting to get tired of all the indications of things not being right, so I've enjoyed the clear illustrations we got this week. I also liked that other characters noticed and commented. (They kind of are the Greek chorus, aren't they, whose only purpose is to oh and ah and comment on the main characters.)

I find Adora fascinating, and cannot stand Amma - which is probably due to the quality of Patricia Clarkson's acting.

(Incidentally, yesterday, I also watched The Party, in which Clarkson plays a sharp witted woman who I found rather endearing.)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

7 minutes ago, scrb said:

Ok between this show, True Detective Season 1 and True Blood, there seems to be a lot of sexual crimes happening in the rural South.

Is it valid or is it outsiders portraying these small towns a certain way?

Well, Law and Order and CSI and other shows have long focused on sex crimes in cities, so it's the rural towns' turn, I guess.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Amy Adams and Chris Messina can do all of their projects together, I've decided.

I really hate that there is a different song every opening credits. Pick one and stick with it.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Celebrating Calhoun Day is one thing.  Every town has their founder and no matter how messed up it is, celebrating the birth of your community is a nice tradition.  That being said the play was seriously messed up and I have a high tolerance for messed up on tv.  But this might have been a bit much.  Reenacting child rape as a celebration is beyond messed up.  

This is where the show veered into the absurd, like some crazy Shirley Jackson novel. Not only was the audience seemingly charmed with and proud of this horrific portrayal, the acting and dialogue were so laughably bad you'd think six years olds wrote and performed the thing. I half expected the audience to start slowly picking up rocks and stoning the players to death or something. Shit just got weird. Not just "quirky" but downright bizarre.

I'll have to go back and watch - strictly for scientific curiosity, mind you - but if my eyes did not deceive me we got an awfully graphic full frontal with Chris Messina this episode that almost bordered on porn.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

This is where the show veered into the absurd, like some crazy Shirley Jackson novel. Not only was the audience seemingly charmed with and proud of this horrific portrayal, the acting and dialogue were so laughably bad you'd think six years olds wrote and performed the thing. I half expected the audience to start slowly picking up rocks and stoning the players to death or something. Shit just got weird. Not just "quirky" but downright bizarre.

I'll have to go back and watch - strictly for scientific curiosity, mind you - but if my eyes did not deceive me we got an awfully graphic full frontal with Chris Messina this episode that almost bordered on porn.

Agree.  I could understand a small town celebrating the Confederacy, but not in the way the little play portrayed.  

I was so focused on seeing if Camille would show her scars in the final scene that I didn’t notice any male full frontal.  I think I’ll take another peek.  The scene on my screen was very dark.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The only thing that Adora can do or say that would surprise me, would be if she extended even the slightest compassion toward her eldest daughter.  So, why does Camille scream into her dress in the dressing room?  Try overwhelming, abject humiliation, which happens to be my least favorite emotion.  Later on, when Camille tells her editor (who I am more and more convinced is really her father) that being in Wind Gap makes her feel like a bad person -- that's pretty much all you need to know about Adora's catastrophic mothering.

I have more to say about the episode, but I really must re-watch it when I'm not falling asleep on a red-eye back east.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think I understand what exactly went down with Camille and the football players back in the day. Am I supposed to understand at this point? From what I can gather it was more or less a gang-rape situation but everyone - including Camille - is treating it as though it were a consensual thing. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I didn't see any peen either.

It was all kind of vague/opaque/blurred.  He was def groping himself and there was some pubes, but.  Maybe it was my TV or the dark scene.  I think they intentionally made it kinda difficult to see too much.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

I totally agree. She was annoyed Camille wasn't watching her. Jackie also seemed to see that too. She makes the most of her 30 seconds of screen time.  

I don't think an ivory floor would last all that long. My friend has a piano with ivory keys (very old Steinway) and the keys are fragile. But honestly look like plastic keys! They gross me out a bit.

the ivory floor made me very sad. i hate adora and people like her. she's one of those who thinks things, resources, and animals are on this earth for her pleasure , abuse and worse be damned. she had no qualms about the origins of the floor. bitch. 

40 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't think I understand what exactly went down with Camille and the football players back in the day. Am I supposed to understand at this point? From what I can gather it was more or less a gang-rape situation but everyone - including Camille - is treating it as though it were a consensual thing. 

yes, i'm not getting the gang rape thing. to me, she was just a slut and gladly took on the team. i wish they would explain better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, filmfan2480 said:

It was all kind of vague/opaque/blurred.  He was def groping himself and there was some pubes, but.  Maybe it was my TV or the dark scene.  I think they intentionally made it kinda difficult to see too much.

That's what I saw when I rewatched the scene a few times. Several of y'all were saying there was full-on dick, so I had to research to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

16 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

That's what I saw when I rewatched the scene a few times. Several of y'all were saying there was full-on dick, so I had to research to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Yeah, I seared my eyeballs too. I still saw nothing.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, filmfan2480 said:

It was all kind of vague/opaque/blurred.  He was def groping himself and there was some pubes, but.  Maybe it was my TV or the dark scene.  I think they intentionally made it kinda difficult to see too much.

In addition to the darkness, his hand (the location of which I may or may not have paid particular attention to during that scene) was strategically placed to block the view.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

 

Adora told the photographer: “My mother was a Calhoun. She married into the Preakers. They had the money, the Calhouns had the house.”

I loved that immediately after that when Adora FREAKED THE FUCK OUT over Camille stepping on her precious ivory floor with her dirty shoes, the photographer just says, “It’s fine,” wipes the dirt in question with a rag, and continues on with life. You know, the way a normal person would react to such a thing. 

I loved that scene and the photographer's calm reaction in particular. From someone whose parents put material goods above the well-being of their children, like a perfect lawn and untouched living room (what didn't you get about the "living" part, Mum?) where we weren't allowed to sit on the furniture or play on the lawn (what's the point of a back yard??), I can relate. It wasn't until I was out on my own that I realized normal people didn't act that way and those things weren't important. My kids were allowed to actually play ("What are you doing standing about, go run on the lawn!"). Pristine lawns still give me the willies. They belong on golf courses, not in people's yards.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think I could make it 10 minutes with that woman.  The over the top caterwauling about her child being missing was the last straw.  We had a joke at work about Prairie Wives and Fragile Flowers - we were all Prairie Wives who were expected to work as hard as the men, handle any difficulty, and not complain.  Then along would come a Fragile Flower who fell apart at the hint of any difficulty, and always needed to be "helped" by any man available.  Adora is Fragile Flower cubed.

At the party there was a moment when Camille heard a man's voice and got freaked out.  Was that the teacher?  I thought it sounded different.  That's definitely when she headed out to spend the rest of the party with Richard.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The ivory floor could almost be a symbol for the town and its inhabitants - obscene origin, pretty to look at but unable to deal with intense contact, would make a boatload of "sharp objects" without extreme care being taken...

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Amy Adams and Chris Messina can do all of their projects together, I've decided.

I really hate that there is a different song every opening credits. Pick one and stick with it.

The opening song this week was especially terrible IMO. It was so slow and boring and seemed to go on forever. I get it, the show is trying to stretch the total running time as much as possible because they didn't have a full 60 minutes again, but come on.

Patricia Clarkson played a mother who hates her daughter in Pieces of April. It's phenomenal. Watch it with a box of tissues.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, LilaFowler said:

The opening song this week was especially terrible IMO. It was so slow and boring and seemed to go on forever. I get it, the show is trying to stretch the total running time as much as possible because they didn't have a full 60 minutes again, but come on.

Patricia Clarkson played a mother who hates her daughter in Pieces of April. It's phenomenal. Watch it with a box of tissues.

Such a great movie!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size