Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Episode 7

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

Allison shoved Scotty away when he was assaulting her. He landed in the road - in front of the car Helen was driving while impaired.

Yes, but even if she hadn't been drunk she would not have been able to avoid him.  How easy would it have been to report it at the time with Allison telling what happened.  Helen would have taken the rap for driving drunk but that would have been the end of it.  

• Love 1
On 8/1/2018 at 10:30 PM, PreBabylonia said:

I tend to be more fond of Noah than I should, since I really liked the actor in The Wire.

I have really liked the actor since I saw a commercial for The Wire. That's how much of an impact he made on me.

I liked the second half of the episode, and I look forward to the Noah/Cole/Anton road trip. I was intrigued by the first half, and I always think Maura Tierney is great, but it did seem a bit long. I thought for certain that the guru was one of Meryl Streep's daughters, but I didn't see a Gummer in the credits.

On 7/30/2018 at 8:19 AM, Trillian said:

I thought they were. In this episode, I noticed that Helen referred to Noah as her “first husband”.  That’s not a term that most women would use unless there’s a second husband - otherwise, she would have just said “ex-husband”.  Then again, I know long-cohabitating couples who refer to themselves as husband and wife.  By the time I clued into this, I couldn’t get a good look at Helen’s left hand, although I saw, during their lovemaking scene, that Vic was not wearing a ring.  Will have to pay more attention in the future, although rings or lack thereof isn’t definitive. I do hope Helen wasn’t stupid enough to move her kids across the country without the financial legal protections of marriage, or at least a damn strong cohabitation agreement.

If they aren't married now it behooves them to tie the knot now, given Vik's medical situation. The spouse of a terminally ill person has the ability to make medical decisions toward the end and has an easier time with hospital visitation, etc. The  first thing a close friend of mine did upon finding out she had a brain tumor was go down to city hall with her long term boyfriend and get a marriage certificate.

Edited by Aqua
  • Love 1
On 7/30/2018 at 10:44 AM, CarpeFelis said:

YES. I’d forgotten that, but during that scene when the guy called her something dismissive like “sweetheart” (might as well have said “grandma”!) I was kinda expecting her to sarcastically do the same right back to him and disappointed that she didn’t.

I'm actually surprised he didn't say, "Ma'am." That said, Helen could have kept her cool, gotten her aisle directions, and moved on with dignity, but she chose to embarrass herself by pointedly inquiring about the pregnancy test kits, undoubtedly provoking cackles from the youngsters.

On 7/30/2018 at 11:41 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Re sensory deprivation tanks and Helen's panic attack...I did the tank thing back in the eighties a few times. I was always explicitly informed before getting in that the hatch was totally openable by me from the inside, should I feel the need to do that, and it was. (I never did feel the need--but a big reason I never felt the need was that I never panicked, and a big reason I never panicked was that I knew I could exit the tank at any time.) It strains my credulity that Helen's tank would not be the same way. I mean, can you imagine a good rationale for a tank to be constructed to make it impossible for the occupant to get out on his own? And can you imagine getting into one that was built that way?

I was a frequent visitor to the Altered States Float Center in West Hollywood in the mid-eighties.

On 7/30/2018 at 11:43 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Edited to add: it may not have necessary been locked. Helen was tapping on the door to get out. She might not have been aware that she just had to push it open. Still she should have been informed before entering. 

It's a tired old trope I've seen way too many times. As soon as I saw her tapping on the lid, I thought, "Here comes the part where she thinks she can't get out and panics and then gets released and flees the compound."

• Love 1
On 8/1/2018 at 6:32 AM, CleoCaesar said:

To be fair, if my sons were even half as obnoxious and exhausting as Martin and Trevor, I too would latch onto the first sane, polite kid who took an interest in my work.

Sane?? Anton is a punk who threw a punch at Noah and has said "F you" to him on more than one occasion. I hope Cole and Noah accidently leave him behind at a rest stop on the way to Princeton.

On 8/1/2018 at 6:54 PM, bilgistic said:

When the principal came over, she asked if he was renting, and when he said yes, she said, "Oh, thank God."

I think the place is adorable but even if I didn't, that was an obnoxious comment.

On 8/1/2018 at 9:36 PM, Lozu68 said:

Interesting point. I mean...the way the script was written, for Helen to chastise Sierra on sleeping with married men...when she had JUST done the same, with Sierra...either we are supposed to believe Helen didn’t consider her tryst with Sierra cheating...or the scenes were shot out of order and someone lost track of what events came just before? 

The way I remember it, Helen's lecture to Sierra came in the car on the way to Joshua Tree, and the hookup came later that night. Or am I incorrect?