Type keyword(s) to search

The Past Seasons Discussion Corollary

I'm actually glad they never mentioned the tenure thing again because it was completely unrealistic to begin with. Between that and the "junior professor" plot it's obvious that none of the writers know anything about academia.

I agree they don't know much but that's why they have advisors!  They obviously have had a lot of help with the "science stuff" that they include on the show, I don't know if it's too much to ask that they get the same kind of help when they are dealing with subjects like tenure or whether these guys actually are professors and if so what would they be called etc.

• Love 1

I don't know if it's too much to ask that they get the same kind of help when they are dealing with subjects like tenure or whether these guys actually are professors and if so what would they be called etc.

I used to know an administrator at a university who had tenure. Officially he was also a member of the faculty, but the rules allowed a professor to go an absurd number of years between teaching and still stay a member. What we've seen on the show has been entirely plausible. I don't know if it fits the rules at CalTech specifically, but I'm not sure the writers need to be bound by that.

I was basing my remarks more on the somewhat lengthy discussion of All Things Wrong that took place in the junior professor thread than personal experience, I don't know enough about how universities work, least of all in the US, to really say -  that discussion though certainly seemed to bring out some knowledgeable people who poked a lot of holes :).

I know for a fact that there is no "Junior Professor" title at US universities (there is in some other countries, like Germany). Also, tenure is not "up for grabs" because someone who has it dies, and it's highly unlikely for someone as young as the guys to get it, even if the tenure process had been depicted correctly. So the writers are definitely not always listening to their academic consultants.

Spoiler tags for my response, just in case:

I think that could be good. I'm looking forward to seeing how it's handled, especially since Simon Helberg is so good. Separately, do we know anything about Amy's family? Unless I'm blocking it, I don't remember meeting any of her clan.

I don't think it's ever said but I've always had the impression that Amy is an only child and that her father has long been out of the picture.  Come to think of it of all the characters I think we hear the least about Amy's background aside from  few anecdotes about her lonely childhood with a mother who was nutzoid about guarding Amy's virginity!

Yup, what we know about Amy's family is her super-overprotective mother, a cousin who died in a tragic accident before her wedding, and another cousin who Amy's Mom paid him to take her to the prom but he spent the money on drugs instead. Oh, and her very very old grandmother who had a birthday party.

The lack of any mention of Amy's father has led to rampant speculation that she and Howard are siblings, btw.

It's bizarre enough when sitcoms bring in never before heard of relatives (Charlie's daughter on Two and a Half Men being one of the worst examples of this) but if they start making existing characters actually be related they are no longer a sitcom they've become a soap opera!

I looked for an "unpopular opinions" category but didn't see one (or missed it).

While I'm sad for Howard, I am not going to miss the Mrs. Wolowitz character at all.  I don't think they need to milk it any more than they already have.  She was the sterotypical fat comic relief.  I was never attached to the voice, the character, or the premise.

• Love 1

I loved the voice and the character and it made it a lot easier to like Howard knowing what kind of homelife he had come from but I do agree about the fat jokes.  It's like most sitcom writers know you really can't get away with making fat jokes about people we actually see so they do fat jokes about unseen characters or about the character the way they once looked (Monica on Friends) or the way the characters might look one day (the BBT episode where they imagine their lives without Sheldon),  BBT come to think of it manages to make fun of fat people pretty often for a show that doesn't actually have any fat characters.  I've lost count of the times they've referenced fat women as sexual partners for one or the other of the guys (including Stuart) and of course it's always in a "ewww, gross" kind of way.

(edited)

I just watched the Codpiece Topology. I miss Leslie Winkle.

I'd forgotten that she broke up with Leonard over his preference for string theory. And for once, Sheldon managed to cheer him up with: Only 9 months until Comicon.

And Sheldon was ready to support Leonard after his chat with Penny on the stairs.

This show used to be so much more than standard sitcom fare with endless stupid relationship problems where the shrew wife wants to get rid of the Tardis.

Hop, you little plummer, hop, hop, hop!

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 2

Watching a rerun of "The Scavenger Vortex." It's such a fun episode, except for how awful Bernadette is. I really wish someone would call her on it sometimes. She gets away with so much meanness, for no apparent reason.

I forget the title of the episode, but I watched the one where Bernadette was in Quarentine (Sp?) and Howard wrote that really wonderful song for her. You know the one "And he'd definitely still live with his mom." That song is so heartfelt and romantic. What the hell happened to that Bernie? The sweet, kind, loving, loving, oh so very loving Howard to the tips of his toenails wife? Where'd she go?

I may be alone in this, but I'm KINDA hoping that this season coming up will be the last season. I'm pretty sick and tired of this show at this point and only watch it for the same reasons I watched How I Met Your Mother, to get closure.

At this point I'm pretty much hate-watching what was once my all time favorite show.

• Love 1

Networks can withdraw a renewal, but it would need a very good reason, and with no viable alternatives. at least one more season is pretty certain.

Plus this show is still doing very well ratings-wise and airs 12 minutes of commercials per episode. I don't see any motivation at all for CBS to cancel the renewal.

Hi everyone! This is the place to chat about your personal 'bests' and 'worsts' of the series. 

A few questions to kick us off:

How would you rank the seasons from favorite to least favorite?

If you could save just 10-15 episodes, which would they be? 

Who are your favorite female characters of the series? 

What aspect of the show (acting, dialogue, celebration of 'geeky' people and their pursuits, music/theme song, etc.) first drew you in and/or keeps you hooked? 

I'm just now discovering the series. I'd stopped after just one episode due to the insanely frequent laugh track (it's an admitted THING I have!), but I'm very glad I took people's advice to give it another chance :) So far this seems like it might be one of the few shows where I actually love the later seasons more than the earlier ones, but I haven't seen enough to be sure.  

• Love 1

Networks can withdraw a renewal, but it would need a very good reason, and with no viable alternatives. at least one more season is pretty certain.

You know, I don't think they can withdraw a renewal. I remember during season 4 of Glee, FOX renewed it for two seasons and then in season 5, the ratings sank like a rock. I'm sure FOX would've loved to pull the plug on it but they had to do that 6th season. They didn't have to do a full one, though, that's the loophole.

Doesn't matter either way here, Big Bang Theory is a money machine. However many seasons CBS signed up for, they'll do the full set.

• Love 2

Withdrawing a renewal would be costly; the producers would have financial commitments that need to be covered. The network has to decide what makes the most sense and that could be going ahead with a losing season.

I still love this show. I love all the main characters and most of the secondary ones. Just wanted to put that out there, since there are so many negative comments about the show in these threads.

• Love 4

You know, I don't think they can withdraw a renewal. I remember during season 4 of Glee, FOX renewed it for two seasons and then in season 5, the ratings sank like a rock. I'm sure FOX would've loved to pull the plug on it but they had to do that 6th season. They didn't have to do a full one, though, that's the loophole.

Doesn't matter either way here, Big Bang Theory is a money machine. However many seasons CBS signed up for, they'll do the full set.

A renewal is a contract. So like any contract it depends on the specifics of a particular deal and the judgement of the decision makers about the value of the relationship and their reputation versus money lost. In this case though I have to agree with kariyaki. There is so much money coming in for everybody and ratings are high enough that this is all strictly theoretical.

Airing earlier this evening on Fox was "The Closet Reconfiguration" (S06, E19, Mar. 14, 2013), in which, "Howard considers whether or not he should open a letter from his father; Penny and Leonard host a ``grown-up'' cocktail party" (http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tv/the-big-bang-theory-the-closet-reconfiguration/EP009311820135?aid=tvschedule).

It didn't make me laugh, but it was a great script. With perhaps a little editing to make the characters more generic, it would work well as a short play for acting classes or amateur theater productions.

• Love 1
I know for a fact that there is no "Junior Professor" title at US universities (there is in some other countries, like Germany). Also, tenure is not "up for grabs" because someone who has it dies, and it's highly unlikely for someone as young as the guys to get it, even if the tenure process had been depicted correctly. So the writers are definitely not always listening to their academic consultants.

"Junior Professor" is not an official title, but it is common to refer to untenured faculty as "junior faculty". Unless the guys are supposed to be much younger than the actors portraying them, it would not be odd for people their age to have tenure, particularly if they are supposed to be geniuses. You normally apply for tenure in your 6th year at a university; high achievers can apply for "early tenure" before that. But, yeah, it has nothing to do with someone dying. I've heard of situations where universities tried to limit the percentage of tenured faculty within a department, which can create competition among those who are up for tenure at the same time. I think this is generally frowned upon in academia.

The Star Wars fan link reminded me of when Penny and Amy are talking and Amy confuses Star Trek and Star Wars, and Penny corrects her. Then Amy asks what the difference is, and Penny replies something like "There is absolutely no difference!" As a fan of both franchises, I think she's wrong, but her delivery was awesome :-)

• Love 1

My 87-year-old grandma just discovered this show. She loves it. I didn't think she would because her taste runs more towards "Golden Girls" reruns. I'm kind of envious because it's all new to her. Her favorite character is Stuart...she wants to see more of him. I told her to be patient-she will.

TBS just showed one of my fave episodes...the one where Sheldon and Kripke fight over Prof. Rothman's office. It's a very small portion of the episode but I really love where Sheldon is struggling with taping up paper. Everytime I do battle with scotch tape I think of that part and it makes me giggle.

• Love 1

So it seems like a lot of the favorite episodes listed here are Penny-Sheldon centric...so (a) why has the show not used more of this winning formula in recent seasons? and (b) why are the Shenny shippers given so much grief?

• Love 1

Even though my favorite episodes are P/S centric ones, I think it's a good thing they don't go to it more often. Overuse can ruin a good character or pairing. Using it sparingly makes it more special.

As for part (b), I'm not going to comment even though I am one because that always leads to a shipper war :)

• Love 2

Just re-watched the Parking space episode. For me, this is one of the worst, if not the worst, episode. Sheldon ego is out of control, and he is insufferable (with Amy not far behind).

And the thing is, when I can't buy into the premise of an episode--in this case I was thinking "wait, a call to the appropriate university officials would totally resolve this parking space matter pretty quickly"--then that's, like, 20 minutes down the drain for me.

• Love 1

and (b) why are the Shenny shippers given so much grief?

because they make for a great comedic duo, but never have they ever shown any hint of sexual attraction or romantic chemistry. And it would be completely out of character for either of them to do so.

• Love 5

(b) why are the Shenny shippers given so much grief?

I see Penny's and Sheldon's relationship as more of a brother-sister one. Yes, they have great banter and feed off each other in a really amusing way but putting them together romantically seems really odd to me.  It would almost be incestuous. 

• Love 2

imo there was a moment where the show could have put Penny and Sheldon together, but that moment passed and now I don't think it would work, they've been platonic too long and are too invested in other people (Leonard and Amy). But I do think there was a time when it could have worked, or at least been fascinating to watch!, and I'll kind of always be sad the show never went there. I like Amy and really enjoy what MB has brought to the show, but her relationship with Sheldon has become painful over the last few seasons and Penny would in some respects be a much better match for Sheldon.

• Love 2

I just think a Penny/Sheldon match would be (and would have been) completely gross. They have a sibling-like banter, she sighs and rolls her eyes at him a lot, he makes a bazillion comments about her lack of education and (lack of perceived) intelligence. They are fun to watch and do enjoy each other's company, but in the same way me and my sisters do where we can rag on each other forever and still be close. I would never put up with that from my boyfriend. Penny would never put up with that from a boyfriend. She's also been mothering him since Season 1, and often treats him like you would treat a difficult child.

How is that at all romantic and/or sexy?

I think people respond to the old "opposites attract" thing and that snarky banter must mean love on TV, but it really doesn't work for these two characters.

• Love 4

imo there was a moment where the show could have put Penny and Sheldon together, but that moment passed and now I don't think it would work, they've been platonic too long and are too invested in other people (Leonard and Amy). But I do think there was a time when it could have worked, or at least been fascinating to watch!, and I'll kind of always be sad the show never went there.

I admit that I shipped Sheldon and Penny in the early days but it's for the exact above reason that I no longer wish for it. The ship sailed years ago, now it would just be weird. I do enjoy Penny/Sheldon-centric plots, though, they remain the strongest, comedically. Kaley and Jim have such great chemistry, I never get tired of watching them.

• Love 1

Speaking of KC and JP having great comedic chemistry, the episode where Penny takes a chair off of the street was on tonight, and until I rewatch it I always forget how FUNNY it is. Sheldon knocking on the door and Penny's list of greetings ("What's the word, mockingbird? What's the gist, physicist?") never fails to crack me up. And the B-plot with Leonard trying to Skype-sex Priya is pretty hilarious too.

• Love 1

I never got into the Priya eppys.

I didn't care for Priya either. But I did like the episode where she demolished the Roommate Agreement.  It had drunk Amy (dancing with Sheldon!  "I really need to talk to smart Amy now.") and Sheldon showing how an honorary graduate of Starfleet Academy can beat an international attorney!

• Love 5

I didn't care for Priya either. But I did like the episode where she demolished the Roommate Agreement.  It had drunk Amy (dancing with Sheldon!  "I really need to talk to smart Amy now.") and Sheldon showing how an honorary graduate of Starfleet Academy can beat an international attorney!

omg me too!!! I enjoyed that one!

Worst episode would have to be the one where they got the dining room table. Hell, damn near that whole season is un-watchable. But that one? "Sometimes the baby wins?" How about all the time. HATED that one. And I'll never bother watching it ever again.

Best episode would have to be the one when Bernadette was quarantined and Howard wrote that song for her. That one still makes me cry. Also tied is the one with the letter from Howard's dad. Another tear jerker/shows how much they adore each other episode. The battery-operated chew toy...hee

• Love 4

Just re-watched the Parking space episode. For me, this is one of the worst, if not the worst, episode. Sheldon ego is out of control, and he is insufferable (with Amy not far behind).

And yet this is the episode that completely turned me off Bernadette. Gloating that you keyed a friend's car?!? I haven't been able to stomach her since.