Type keyword(s) to search

The Past Seasons Discussion Corollary

The Grasshopper Experiment, from S1, when we find out that Raj *can* talk to women when he's got alcohol in him.  For some reason I love when Raj's "MommyDaddy" show up in the laptop.  "Grandma!  It's Doogie Time!!"

• Love 1

Was there ever an episode - that perhaps I missed - where Mary Cooper asked Leonard to feel free to correct her social gaffes and politically incorrect remarks?

Or did he take on this role on his own? Leonard has started to remind  me of his own mother, setting himself up as arbiter of what can or cannot be said.

Edited by dustylil
  • Love 1

There is an episode in which Sheldon's mom visits him and wants to go sightseeing instead of going to a physics lecture with him and she seems pretty open to having Leonard explain what's polite in California, although at one point she does say something about she doesn't know how anyone in California speaks a complete sentence, IIRC.

Leonard has started to remind  me of his own mother, setting himself up as arbiter of what can or cannot be said.

If we're thinking of the same episode Leonard was pretty gentle with Mary.  Way nicer than I would have been (at least than I would have wanted to be!) and he was doing her a favour.  She wasn't making grammatical errors, she was being ignorant (by most people's standards anyway) and she was making very offensive comments.  That said it was hard to believe she was that ignorant.  I mean "bead rattlers"  who says that?

Edited by CherryAmes

Leonard has corrected Mrs. Cooper in multiple episodes. Certainly some of her remarks are offensive but she is obviously a kind hearted woman,  but clearly one from a limited background. Yet Leonard can be the best friend of Sheldon and the close pal of Howard - young, well educated men - who frequently have  made  derogatory comments.

If Leonard sees it as his job to improve the conduct of others and make the world a nicer place, perhaps he should start a little closer to home - rather than self righteously rebuke  an occasional visitor.

• Love 1

Speaking as a fellow Catholic I wasn't the least bit offended but the point remains it's not something that is an appropriate way to describe people of another religion - least of all when you are standing in a Catholic Church. If I'd been Leonard I'd have been pretty embarrassed had Mary said that in front of a priest or parishioners of the church - we know she's a sweet woman who just doesn't realize that the things she's saying can be taken as being insulting but not everyone is going to know that!

If I'd been Leonard I'd have been pretty embarrassed had Mary said that in front of a priest or parishioners of the church - we know she's a sweet woman who just doesn't realize that the things she's saying can be taken as being insulting but not everyone is going to know that!

Mary Cooper knows exactly what she's doing, she just doesn't care. Sheldon didn't get the way he is in a vacuum. Mary knows the things she says are awful and offensive, but she believes that she's right so doesn't care. She's not educated, but we've seen over and over again that she gets people so there's no reason for her not to understand when she's offended someone. 

• Love 2

Mary Cooper knows exactly what she's doing, she just doesn't care.

Do you really think so?  I admit I've never gotten that impression from her character.  To me she seems like a small town woman who hasn't experienced much of life outside her narrow little world.  I feel that she's not genuinely bigoted because of the way she interacts with Raj and Howard - she doesn't really understand their backgrounds but she cares about them which has always seemed sweet.

• Love 3

How did I just notice that the apartments each have a doorbell beside the door?  Has that ever been explained in the context of all the door knocking?  Were the doorbells broken in the same incident as the elevator?

Do you really think so?  I admit I've never gotten that impression from her character.  To me she seems like a small town woman who hasn't experienced much of life outside her narrow little world.  I feel that she's not genuinely bigoted because of the way she interacts with Raj and Howard - she doesn't really understand their backgrounds but she cares about them which has always seemed sweet.

Like Sheldon, sometimes she's offensive without understanding and other times she knows she's offending but she doesn't care. Sheldon and Mary are very alike and just like I think Sheldon often knows when he's being rude I think the same thing is true of his mother. A polite person, when faced with someone from a different religion with dietary restrictions wouldn't say "I hope that isn't one of the animals you people think is magic." There's a way to say "can you eat this?" without crapping on someone else's beliefs. Mary just doesn't care enough to do so.

How did I just notice that the apartments each have a doorbell beside the door?  Has that ever been explained in the context of all the door knocking?  Were the doorbells broken in the same incident as the elevator?

Occam's razor says it must be so!

A polite person, when faced with someone from a different religion with dietary restrictions wouldn't say "I hope that isn't one of the animals you people think is magic." There's a way to say "can you eat this?" without crapping on someone else's beliefs. Mary just doesn't care enough to do so.

That's true, but neither does a polite person correct the manners of  someone else, particularly someone who is  older and a guest. 

It's the first rule of good manners not to correct other people.  Only parents and teachers are allowed to do that.  I find Mary embarrassing in those episodes, but Leonard is insufferable.

• Love 1

Leonard handwaves a whole lot of stuff that's offensive so I've never seen him as someone who tells people what's appropriate and what isn't. He usually sighs exasperatedly and that's it. In the Mary Cooper episodes I guess the writers thought it would be funny, though I've only watched them once and honestly don't remember much about them, or Leonard being especially correcting of her.

That said I'm also of the opinion that Mary Cooper knows that she's not being politically correct but she doesn't care because she's in the right. In her mind, why should she give a crap about other people's sensitivities. Sheldon had to get it from someone. And I really like Mary Cooper in her good episodes and when her offensiveness is just one of her character traits and not the main focus of the episode.

Those episodes are pretty badly written though and I didn't find them all that funny. That said if there's anyone who reminds me of Leonard's mother, it's Sheldon (which the show obviously has pointed out as well). Sheldon has some redeeming aspects though whereas I can't even find Leonard's mother funny anymore (even though she's played by the brilliant Christine Baranski) because of the horror I feel at the thought of that woman raising children. And that's also what I feel whenever someone brings up the subject regarding Amy/Sheldon.

• Love 2

There was a special on recently about what goes on backstage at some shows. I was channel surfing and when I saw one was TBBT I stopped to watch. It was kind of disappointing. I was hoping to see more about the sets. I'd love to see how they make the stairs work. I guess they didn't want to ruin the illusion. I've always hated Bernadette's voice and hearing Melissa Rauch talk in her normal voice just made me hate it even more.

• Love 1

I can't even find Leonard's mother funny anymore (even though she's played by the brilliant Christine Baranski) because of the horror I feel at the thought of that woman raising children.

I hadn't really thought about this too much until the episode where Leonard skypes her to tell he about his engagement to Penny.  First off there is the obvious "why the sudden dislike of Penny" but more importantly why is she so damn mean about Leonard wanting to share a major life event with her?  I'd love to see how her other kids turned out - I bet they may be successful but they're probably screwed up in their own ways too.

That's exactly what happens. They basically just rearrange the caution tape every "flight" and there's a person on staff who takes polaroids each time so they don't mess up the continuity within the episode of which "floor" is which.

The set is fairly standard for a multicam sitcom. Penny's apartment, the hallway in between, the guys' living room, and a swing.

Edited by theatremouse

Never been suggested they're broken. I don't really have a problem with it. I know plenty of people who always knock, even when there's a bell, so that strikes me as reasonable. I think it's also fairly standard for apartments to have doorbells, so I guess it's good on the set design that it's on the wall. On the other hand, most people on TV knock, not ring, so I tend to just accept that. Must be easier on the audio.

• Love 1

They reran my favorite Wil Wheaton episode last night. It's the one with the bowling competition that ends with the guys having to dress up as female characters. I love that they made one of the particles in each scene-transition graphic look like a bowling ball every time the next scene was in the bowling alley.

One of my least favorites is actually the pilot. Penny really gets on my nerves when she questions Sheldon about his seat. Bitch! You are a guest, he told you that is where he sits, so move! Ugh! Also her little breakdown in their apartment and having these 2 little guys go and retrieve your items from your giant ex. Bitch please. 

I do enjoy Amy and Sheldon. Probably couldn't handle them in reality, but they are fun to watch. Never liked Leonard and probably never will. He is too much of a whiny diaper boy for me. Boy does Johnny love to play those types.I guess the same could be said for the Sheldon character, but he is just so over the top, that it works for me. Leonard's voice grates too. Way more positives than negatives with this show. I was surprised to like it so much. Raj can be a dick, but I think he's adorable. Kind of meh on Howard and Bernie. 

Penny really gets on my nerves when she questions Sheldon about his seat. Bitch!  You are a guest, he told you that is where he sits, so move!

If I'd been Penny I'd have moved all right, straight out of that apartment.  It's only that they chose to portray Penny in the first episode as a sweet girl that she didn't do exactly that.  Since I'm not a sweet girl I'd have probably told Sheldon what he could do with his seat and never looked back!  Of course there goes the show so it's just as well it was Penny in that episode and not me!

• Love 1

There was a special on recently about what goes on backstage at some shows. I was channel surfing and when I saw one was TBBT I stopped to watch. It was kind of disappointing. I was hoping to see more about the sets. I'd love to see how they make the stairs work. I guess they didn't want to ruin the illusion. I've always hated Bernadette's voice and hearing Melissa Rauch talk in her normal voice just made me hate it even more.

This. It's just like what happened with Karen Walker on Will and Grace...by the end of the fourth season only dogs could hear her.

I don't understand how the people on these shows apparently lose the ability to self-evaluate. Do they just sit around congratulating each other to the point where they believe they can do no wrong? Why is it that even a casual viewer can see the show tanking, but they can't?

• Love 1

My understanding is that there's just one landing with stairs going up and down, and they redress it (apt numbers, mats, plants, caution tape) for each floor.

I remember reading about that. I guess what I've been wondering is what happens when they get to the top. Is there a landing where they just wait for the scene to end and then walk back down? Is there a short flight of steps they just continue down out of sight? Or maybe there's a mattress they jump onto like a stuntman (just kidding on that one of course).
  • Love 1

Why is it that even a casual viewer can see the show tanking, but they can't?

I don't think the show is tanking so I can understand why the writers don't think it is.   Is every episode off the charts wonderful?  No, I don't think so.  There were some great episodes and some dogs during earlier seasons too.  On the whole, I think the show has evolved pretty well considering the number of years it's been on.

• Love 4

I hadn't really thought about this too much until the episode where Leonard skypes her to tell he about his engagement to Penny. First off there is the obvious "why the sudden dislike of Penny" but more importantly why is she so damn mean about Leonard wanting to share a major life event with her? I'd love to see how her other kids turned out - I bet they may be successful but they're probably screwed up in their own ways too.

I don't come to this thread too much because I still enjoy the show, but I've always wondered why neither of Leonard's siblings have been featured at some point. While I completely understand why this character has moved across country from his birth family, you'd think for comic value that tptb would do at least one episode where the uber successful brother or sister come to visit.

Edited by HelenBaby
  • Love 1

Well, that was an interesting hour of repeats tonight. One of my favorites, The Scavenger Vortex, with Amy and Howard having the best! time! ever! rocking out to Neil Diamond, paired with The Guitarist Amplfication, featuring Penny and Leonard bickering for 22 minutes. Not to mention the weeks of online discussion afterwards about which of them was right.

One of my favorites, The Scavenger Vortex, with Amy and Howard having the best!

I loved this whole episode.  Howard and Amy were gold of course, they did not disappoint (I was a little worried because sometimes when you read about something and people are raving it falls a little flat when you finally get to see it).

I also loved that although Leonard dumped Penny because he didn't think she'd be smart enough to win, she actually held her own (it was Sheldon being Sheldon that held them back a few times) and that just being with a smart girl doesn't guarantee a good time! 

My 2 favorites are similar:

2.11 "The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis" because I love Sheldon's reaction to being given Leonard Nimoy's DNA on a napkin.

5.9 "The Ornithophobia Diffusion" because I love the end when Sheldon announces he's going to be a mommy.

ETA: Also love 1.4 "The Luminous Fish Effect" ending, but maybe not the episode as a whole.

"Least favorite":

I will never again watch 6.10 "The Fish Guts Displacement" because of the spanking scene.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

On the plus side at least when it goes into reruns the station airing it won't have to cut minutes out of the show for commercials!  I'd rather see the full show, even if it's shorter, rather than the butchered versions shown in syndication land!

About those pharmaceuticals Penny is so good at selling.... remember 'Psych'?  I'm just realizing all the parallels between Psych and TBBT.  (This may have already been discussed & I missed it).

But I was thinking-- pharmaceutical salesman (Gus); absent father issues  (Juliet-whose dad was Captain Kirk); the helmets Leonard and Sheldon were wearing in Geek Heaven; guys and their cats (Little Boy Cat from Psych); the cold disapproving parent (Shawn's dad in early seasons of Psych). 

And more, but I'll stop here for now.

Just wondering--maybe it's just some crossover writers and producers between the two shows--  but wondering if anyone else noticed and what you think about it.

The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis is the sweetest of them all, but I think my favorite is The Bakersfield Expedition, where the girls are arguing about Thor's Hammer.  I've always been a big Thor fan (a couple of my dogs were named Thor), so it really made me laugh.

I agree with everyone about the train episode.  Boring!!!  I also didn't like the one where Penny is jealous of the woman who moves upstairs.  Another dull episode.

If Penny and Leonard were a couple in real life they would be divorced a few years after getting married, once they realize how bored they are with each other, or (depressingly) when Penny ages and is no longer attractive to Leonard.

I know people are going to say the whole point of them is the whole opposites attract thing, that Leonard likes Penny's social awareness and thinks she's fun, etc. but the problem is they're not written that way. If they were then I would be a fan. The show pretty much always presents their dynamic as Leonard loves Penny because he's attracted to her and Penny loves Leonard because he's less of a jerk and more stable than other guys she's dated and that overall, Leonard is way more into Penny than she's into him. I get that it's played for laughs, but I don't think it's particularly funny and it makes them seem awful together. 

• Love 2

Leonard's attraction to Penny started with her looks, but IMO it's grown beyond that. He loves her. I don't know if they're the perfect couple - there's a lot of differences to overcome - but I know plenty of solid long-term couples that have more differences than they do.

• Love 2

Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask, but was the plot arc about the open tenure position ever resolved...or even mentioned again outside of that one episode where they are all competing over it? It seemed like they were opening a pretty big story line, and then we never found out who got it. Even if it wasn't one of them (and I assume it wasn't or it would have come up in another episode), it would have been nice to know who DID get it (e.g., Kripke, Leslie Winkle).

Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask, but was the plot arc about the open tenure position ever resolved...or even mentioned again outside of that one episode where they are all competing over it? It seemed like they were opening a pretty big story line, and then we never found out who got it. Even if it wasn't one of them (and I assume it wasn't or it would have come up in another episode), it would have been nice to know who DID get it (e.g., Kripke, Leslie Winkle).

No, I don't think it's shown up again. Gone the same way as the plotline of Bernadette vs. Amy on the sexualization of female scientists. (I mean seriously, how on earth are we supposed to believe Amy would even sit in the same room as Bernadette after what she said, so much as stay friends with her? And what about the actually interesting discussion they were having? Bernadette said she was winning the fight before she said what she did but actually, the fact that she resorted to childish insults kind of tanked her argument, didn't it? Man, I forgot I had so many feelings about that episode/storyline.)