Type keyword(s) to search

The Past Seasons Discussion Corollary

I'd really like it if the girls took more of an interest in the things the guys were. Not because it's to please the guys but because with all the sci-fi/fantasy things the guys are into the girls not finding any of it interesting is a bit unrealistic to me. Especially with all the movies/tv shows coming out.

They started that kinda with the Bakersfield ep but I'd like a bit more.

• Love 2

I've always wondered about that too.  I'm female and not into comics or gaming but I do like Star Trek, have seen Star Wars and have read Lord of the Rings.  It's really hard to believe that not one of the women on this show is into any of that - if memory serves Penny at least had seen a recent Star Trek movie, but the TV shows passed them all by?  They didn't see Lord of the Rings movies, if only for Orlando Bloom?    Did the writers just assume that women only like romantic comedies or something?

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 3

That's true, plus they got into comics for one episode and then after that apparently knew nothing about them. I don't know why they can't take more interest in things the guys are interested in, it would make the show more likeable I think.

• Love 3

It would be so much fun if at least one of the girls were an all-out, complete science fiction nerd. Bernadette could have had a Sci-fi phase to rebel against her uber-sporty Dad.

Amy is a biologist but also a romantic, and a computer matched her up with Sheldon. I think it makes no sense at all for her not to be an all-out Sci fi geek, actually. I think that it would make a lot of sense for Amy to be the LOTR fan, ever ready with the nitpicks about deviations from the books, and odd observations about the biological impossibility of this or that superhero or fantasy character. Amy is the romantic and it was so cute when she dressed up as Snow White. I could see cosplay being used much more on this show.

Penny is the pop culture, street-wise character. I like her gradual absorption into Star Wars and want it to go further. I would also like to see her become a complete Dr. Who lunatic and wear a Tardis dress. Because the idea of the women anchoring the men into reality and making them grow up has run its course. Now it's time to see the men's influence on the women. Of them all, Penny could be the one who doesn't obsess on details and is always saying, "you guys know this is fiction, right?" Because there's one in every crowd.

• Love 1

Hah it would be great if Penny wore a tardis dress! :D

I also think that Doctor Who wouldn't be that far of a stretch, I don't consider it to be too 'geeky' of a show.. granted that might be because I fall into the nerd/geek category :P

Hah it would be great if Penny wore a tardis dress! :D

If the writers went in that direction, I think we'd be seeing Penny dressed up as a companion fans would recognize, probably Leela given their track record. Of course, whichever Doctor she said she liked, Sheldon would totally disagree.

If the writers went in that direction, I think we'd be seeing Penny dressed up as a companion fans would recognize, probably Leela given their track record. Of course, whichever Doctor she said she liked, Sheldon would totally disagree.

I can imagine him disagreeing just to spite her and then getting really sad because he can't like his favourite Doctor anymore.

I can imagine him disagreeing just to spite her and then getting really sad because he can't like his favourite Doctor anymore.

If Sheldon couldn't like his favorite Doctor any more, I think it would be because something Penny said she liked about that one would provoke a negative "I never thought about that before" in him. He doesn't mind when others like what he likes.

• Love 1

Sheldon thinks everyone should like what he likes!  He'd probably take credit for converting Penny to being  Dr Who fan, if anything.

On a related note, one of the funniest characteristics of flashback Sheldon is the way he'll say things like "may as well reserve Monday nights now (fill in show that we all know got cancelled) because it will run forever".

• Love 3

Hi all - this is my first post on Previously.TV and I wanted to weigh in with my favorite and least favorite episodes.  I like plenty of them, but I really like the episodes that feature the parents of the characters - Sheldon's mom in particular, but Penny's dad and Leonard's mom are also great, and Bernadette's dad to a lesser degree.  The Luminous Fish episode is quite possibly my favorite of all.

I also do not like the bully episode, and I even turn that one off if it comes on.  I don't think that was a necessary plot for the show.  And I agree that the itchy sweater didn't offer too much either.  I was only so-so on the episode with the girl that Bernadette hooked Leonard up with - were they in self defense or spin class together??  She had 100 ways to rip a guy's you-know-whats off.

I work at a high energy physics lab, and also wish they would steer the show back toward its roots.  All this pairing up is OK, but there are a million shows about couples having couple troubles.  I love the science stuff.

BC

• Love 6

I have lots of "favorite" episodes.  Loved the Christmas episode where Penny gives Sheldon the napkin that Leonard Nimoy used.  Also liked the Adhesive Duck one, and the one where Sheldon had all the cats.  And I always laugh at loud at the episode where they are teaching Sheldon to drive and Penny hits him in the face with the throw pillow to simulate an air bag. Ditto for the Panty Pinata.  For me, the best episodes center around Sheldon and Penny.

Least favorites--anything with Dr. Stephanie.

Edited by SmallTownMom
  • Love 3

One of my very fave episodes was on TBS tonight.

Sheldon..it doesn't feel like an arm

Penny...then maybe you should let it goooo

Then there was the part where Sheldon is filling out the hospital forms. It's what made me love this show.

• Love 3

One of my very fave episodes was on TBS tonight.

Sheldon..it doesn't feel like an arm

Penny...then maybe you should let it goooo

Then there was the part where Sheldon is filling out the hospital forms. It's what made me love this show.

That was fun. And the B storyline with the guys eating pot brownies was gold!

• Love 4

I just watched the episode where Howard finds out that Bernadette hates children.  Ok I get that a sitcom writer isn't going to think too deeply about things as long as something's funny they'll go with it, but still.  It bothers me to no end that they depict Bernadette being so absolutely hateful to children.  Not funny.  But what bothers me more is the supposed solution they come up with where Howard stays home with the kids.   Only on a sitcom would this be a solution.  First off no one needs to be home 24/7 with children if they don't want to be but even more importantly not being home with children from 9-5 doesn't mean those children won't have needs and concerns the rest of the time!  I know I'm overthinking this but to me this episode ended up being just another opportunity to stress that Bernadette is more financially successful than Howard so here is yet another area where she gets to call the shots.

Edited by CherryAmes

Hmm, I didn't see it that way. As the person giving birth I feel like, ultimately she does call the shots in that regards. I actually didn't mind it, it was her saying "well, if you want kids you can stay at home and look after them instead of me" and because she does make more money it's a better option for them.

That's how I felt anyway, I thought it was more disappointing that they didn't discuss it more and that she gave in to having kids although she really doesn't like them. To me, kids are something you talk about very early and not as a joke. I know I know sitcom but still..

And maybe that is just my thoughts because I don't want to have kids :P

• Love 4

I think Howard staying home with the kids would be a fine solution, if Bernadette's qualms were simply about not wanting to give up her career. (Going with the assumption that daycare or a nanny are off the table.)

But if Bernie sincerely dislikes children, they'd make her crazy in just a few hours each evening. Heck, my nieces and nephews can drive me to drink in just a couple of hours on a weekend, and I adore kids.

Basically, I think the show went too far with Bernadette's distaste to be something she and Howard could realistically get past. They should have kept it about her career, if him being a SAHD is their eventual plan.

• Love 3

That's how I felt anyway, I thought it was more disappointing that they didn't discuss it more and that she gave in to having kids although she really doesn't like them. To me, kids are something you talk about very early and not as a joke. I know I know sitcom but still..

Exactly!  If Bernadette didn't want children and Howard did that's not a problem that gets resolved by her giving in and him agreeing to look after the kids!  Hopefully she may hate kids in general but won't feel that way about kids of her own because it's not like she can ignore them once they've arrived!

Hopefully she may hate kids in general but won't feel that way about kids of her own

Yeah, that's the line my mother uses on me when remind her I can't have children. Because I hate them.

• Love 1

That's what really bothered me.  If Bernadette really does hate children (and nothing in that episode made me think she was exaggerating her feelings) then she shouldn't feel pressured to have them.  As I said it's not like no matter how involved Howard is with the kids that Bernadette can just pretend they're not there.  Great way to screw up your kids!

But since then it seems like her opinion may be changing.  She was willing to take care of Raj's dog on that one occasion.  (Not that they did so well)

Is that the same thing? Has she shown a dislike for animals before?

If someone asked me if I could babsit their child I'd firmly decline, if they asked me to look after their dog I'd most probably say yes and be excited about it. There's a massive difference between liking pets and liking kids.

• Love 3

That's what really bothered me.  If Bernadette really does hate children (and nothing in that episode made me think she was exaggerating her feelings) then she shouldn't feel pressured to have them.  As I said it's not like no matter how involved Howard is with the kids that Bernadette can just pretend they're not there.  Great way to screw up your kids!

Exactly. And it's not that funny a joke even for a sitcom (haha, the mom hates being a mom and resents her kids!). There was a chilling letter in the "Dear Prudie" advice column in Slate last week, from a woman who didn't want kids but was convinced by her husband to have one. Four years later, she still doesn't love her daughter and resents the husband, and is planning to leave them both and move across the country. So yeah, shit like that happens in real life, and it's not funny there either.

It's one thing to be on the fence but truly openminded about having children. It's another to actively dislike children and not want to be a parent. Bernie is the latter. I hope they don't saddle her with a child, because that really won't be funny.

• Love 3

I especially love Sheldon explaining things to other people - why he dislikes Christmas to Penny and football to Leonard, in particular. I also like the one where he works at the Cheesecake Factory and the one where he and Penny are shopping for a birthday gift for Leonard and he ends up taking over the computer store. And his visit to the DMV.

Edited by vera charles
  • Love 3

Started watching the show on Netflix. Season 3 now, and those billions years flashing in the opening credits really call for a an epilepsy warning.

I mostly prefer the episodes where Raj, Leo and Howard are doing something together, leaving Sheldon at home to end up in unlikely situations with Penny. Those two had an interesting chemistry. Contrary to Leonard and Penny: a banal case of "nice guy" gets hot girl.  

Edited by sev

Regarding the issue of Howard and Bernadette having kids, I agree that no one should be pressured into having kids if they don't want them (and vice versa).

However, I don't think the "compromise" Bernadette came up with is too bad. It's not that different from how many families were run in the 50s with the working parent being very hands off with the kids even when they were at home. I even know some peers who run things this way today. It's not how I want my family to be, but if it works for them, so be it.

With B/H, it's the same thing just with the roles reversed. In addition to the dog-sitting episode furthering this story line, we recently heard Bernadette mention how she and Howard were saving up for a home. Yes, I know home doesn't automatically mean kids, but in sitcom-land it's usually a rite of passage that shows you're ready for kids. So it seems the writers are keeping them on the trajectory that'll get them to Bernadette's compromise.

I for one expect at least a glimpse into the future where Howard is shouting to his kid from another room, continuing the cycle established by his mom (perhaps even in Debbie's house after Howard inherits it?).

• Love 1

There's no separate thread for Howard's mom, so I'm putting this here.  So sad.  Rest in peace, Carol Ann Susi. 

Veteran character actor Carol Ann Susi, who most recently lent her voice to The Big Bang Theory as the Mrs. Wolowitz, has died after a brief battle with cancer, her rep confirmed on Tuesday.

After moving Los Angeles from her native Brooklyn in the 1970s, Susi got her start in television on the ABC series The Night Stalker playing Kolchak’s secretary, Monique Marmelstein. She also appeared in Cheers, Doogie Howser, M.D., Mad About You, Just Shoot Me, Seinfeld, Six Feet Under, and more.

In a statement to EW, Susi’s rep remembered Susi as “a force of nature who didn’t suffer fools and was fiercely loyal to her friends.”

“The Big Bang Theory family has lost a beloved member today with the passing of Carol Ann Susi, who hilariously and memorably voiced the role of Mrs. Wolowitz,” Big Bang Theory executive producers Chuck Lorre, Steven Molaro and Bill Prady wrote in a joint statement with Warner Bros. Television and CBS. “Unseen by viewers, the Mrs. Wolowitz character became a bit of a mystery throughout the show’s eight seasons. What was not a mystery, however, was Carol Ann’s immense talent and comedic timing, which were on display during each unforgettable appearance. In addition to her talent, Carol Ann was a constant source of joy and kindness to all. Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with her family during this time, and we will miss her greatly.”

• Love 2

I don't know if it's my favourite, I'll have to think about it, but the first one that comes to mind is the episode where Sheldon has all his WoW stuff stolen.  I love every line.  "There's not enough chamomile tea in the world to quell the rage in my heart".

• Love 3

I don't know if it's my favourite, I'll have to think about it, but the first one that comes to mind is the episode where Sheldon has all his WoW stuff stolen.  I love every line.  "There's not enough chamomile tea in the world to quell the rage in my heart".

If that's the one where Penny knees Czarnecki in his "special place" - that's possibly my favorite scene (tied with Amy's "It's a tiara!" scene).

I think my favorite episode is the one where they're all dressed up in their Star Trek costumes, heading to Comi-Con, and they stop by Vasquez Rocks and Leonard's car gets stolen. I just like it when they all geek out together.

• Love 2

I'll go with a common one -- The Adhesive Duck Deficiency. The Penny and Sheldon parts were great, but I always always always lose it watching the three guys get high. It just keeps topping itself! Raj's "Rabbit's Speech" alone!

• Love 4

I think it was like the 3rd episode. Leonard accepts a package for Penny. First he and Sheldon have to get this large package up the stairs. Then Sheldon sneaks in to clean Penny's place because she is a bit of a slob. It ends with the men arguing about how to improve the TV stand Penny bought while she puts it together.

I also love the Adhesive Duck episode. And the tiara episode. And the one where Howard gets his "junk" caught in the mechanical hand. "Winnie the Pooh is out of the honey tree!"

• Love 2

The Spaghetti Catalyst. Sheldon is so wonderfully Sheldon but without being jerky or entitled, caring about his friendships. So much great dialogue in this one, from Sheldon and Penny's conversation up the stairs, Sheldon waking Leonard in the middle of the night to confess "I've been seeing Penny behind your back," Howard's "That's it, we've officially run out of things to talk about." to the end tag, "I think we can do it.", "Smother Sheldon in his sleep? Wouldn't that be wrong?" I also loved Leonard and Penny acting like recently divorced parents with Sheldon as their "kid" while Howard and Raj look on in amazement. And I don't know why, but there's something very cute about the way Sheldon says "hot dogs."

I can't remember what the episode name was, but I love the one where it's Leonard and Sheldon vs. Penny and Amy in a bunch of competitions and the girls were stomping the guys every time. My favorite one being Pictionary, where Penny didn't even bother starting until the last second, then drew a hand, colored in the fingernails, drew an arrow to one of them and Amy immediately got it.

• Love 5

Pretty much any episode where Sheldon gets come kind of comeuppance works for me.

"Panty Pinata" is one of my favorites for so many elements: "Oh no, not junior rodeo..." "This will shorten the war by five years and save millions of lives." "With great power comes great responsibility."

"The Cooper-Nowitzki Theorem," where Sheldon realizes he's in a "relationship" with Ramona. Again, for some of the great lines:

Leonard: We're going...

Howard: To watch, right?

I also like "The Barbarian Sublimation," where Penny gets her geek out, Leslie Winkle's one-liners, and Sheldon's inadvertent pick-up of the cute lunchroom dude.

Edited by photo fox
edited to remove quote from deleted post
  • Love 4

So much good stuff to choose from.  The one that always makes me laugh, no matter how many times I've seen it, is "The Bad Fish Paradigm". 

Leonard: How could you just sit there and let them spy on me?
Sheldon: They were very smart. They used my complete lack of interest in what you are doing.

Sheldon: I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

Sheldon: I wouldn't tell you the secret. Sssh!
Leonard: What secret? Tell me the secret.
Sheldon: Mom smokes in the car. Jesus is okay with it, but we can't tell dad.
Leonard: Not that secret, the other secret.
Sheldon: I'm Batman! Ssssh!

(I always have to rewind this part and watch it again, the way they deliver it is so perfect)

Leonard: Penny thinks I'm too smart for her. That's ridiculous!
Sheldon: I know! Most of your work is extremely derivative. And don't worry, that's not a secret.  Everybody knows.

I love anytime Sheldon gets drunk/drugged.

Edited by BabyLeonard
  • Love 4

My mother just submitted the episode with the story of how Leonard and Sheldon met. Personally that's one of my own favorites for the shallow reason that the only time I've ever considered Sheldon sexy was when he stopped the elevator door, grabbed Leonard, pulled him out and closed the door again. Damn.

• Love 5

Nimoy DNA.

Definitely in my top 5!  I love the way Sheldon staggers when he realizes what he's been given - and Penny's "Okay, all I'm giving you is the napkin, Sheldon." may have been the best line, or best delivered line, in an all round wonderful episode.

• Love 3