Type keyword(s) to search

The Night Shift in the Media

(edited)

It's nice to see they are equal opportunity, gender-wise, with the Promo Poster Tight shirts (both of the main leads have them).

Ll4wXZW.jpg

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I have to admit that pure summer boredom and these bizarre promo shots will probably make me check it out tonight.  But what is NBC thinking with these?  It just makes me laugh.  I for one, will be highly disappointed if the opening credits isn't the cast just running in slow-motion, Baywatch-style.

And is Freddy Rodriquez trying to be Magneto in that shot linked above?  Sorry, buddy, Michael Fassbender beat you to it! 

(edited)

I would LOVE this show if it gave the dick hospital administrator an evil superpower (No, show: making him a surgeon who's going tragically blind is not my idea of a superpower).

That promo shot looks like an off-brand fragrance ad.

Edited by Sandman

I had been really enjoying it but for Jordan and TC, and then I saw an interview with Brendon Fehr where he broke out the standard gay panic excuse about how hard it was for him to be affectionate with another man and it kind of took some of the enthusiasm I had for Drew out of my sails.

I could put up with the outright absurdity for Landry, Drew, and Topher, you know, not cool, Michael, not cool.

I had been really enjoying it but for Jordan and TC, and then I saw an interview with Brendon Fehr where he broke out the standard gay panic excuse about how hard it was for him to be affectionate with another man and it kind of took some of the enthusiasm I had for Drew out of my sails.

IIRC from my Roswell fandom days, Fehr grew up Mennonite and in those early days of his first wave of stardom, he was very vocal about his beliefs. Now he has kids to feed and doesn't have a problem kissing a dude for a paycheck.

Except he had to go on and on about he was uncomfortable and "petrified" (his words) with having to do it.  You know, the "ew, gross" defense that plenty of straight actors don't have to resort to.

And not for nothing, this isn't the first time he's either played a gay character or had to be affectionate onscreen with another man.

Except he had to go on and on about he was uncomfortable and "petrified" (his words) with having to do it.  You know, the "ew, gross" defense that plenty of straight actors don't have to resort to.

And not for nothing, this isn't the first time he's either played a gay character or had to be affectionate onscreen with another man.

Pay cheque or not, then don't audition for these kinds of roles.  The only thing I remember him for truthfully is playing Booth's brother on Bones so have no idea when he's played a character previously.  It always pisses me off when I hear actors saying shit like that.  You know what you're getting into so suck it up and keep your homophobic views to yourself, which is what this is to me.

It's here.  I'm not unsympathetic to actors having to be intimate with other actors to whom they're not attracted; I can imagine it being weird and uncomfortable.  But considering how little actual affection actually showed up in the episode--they cut away from the kiss awfully quickly--I just don't know why he needed to make sure he affirmed his heterosexual bona fides, because I think his wife and kids do that already.

It's here.  I'm not unsympathetic to actors having to be intimate with other actors to whom they're not attracted; I can imagine it being weird and uncomfortable.  But considering how little actual affection actually showed up in the episode--they cut away from the kiss awfully quickly--I just don't know why he needed to make sure he affirmed his heterosexual bona fides, because I think his wife and kids do that already.

Thanks, @starri . I just watched it, and I totally agree with what you say here.  I can see being uncomfortable - I'd be uncomfortable kissing another woman - but I'd also be uncomfortable kissing some random dude from casting.  But as an actor, he doesn't need to actually be attracted to the person.  It's too bad he took the role if it was going to bother him so much (and I think it showed in his performance).

I saw the interview, and while I found it disappointing, I don't think I saw discomfort in the performance; or if it was there, it was appropriate to Drew's level of apprehension with outing himself. I'm waiting to see where the storyline goes, I guess.

I'll grant you that I had already seen the original comments here, so perhaps I read something into his performance that wasn't there.  I'm interested to see how the story progresses as well.

Pay cheque or not, then don't audition for these kinds of roles.

I had that thought until I watched the interview and compared it to the character of Drew.  Then I began to wonder if Brendan was intentionally and purposely picked for the role (at least in part) BECAUSE his level of uncomfortableness is as obvious as it is.  Drew is in love with Rick, and I think he's fine with the relationship and with Rick as an individual.  However, what I think is evident is that Drew is not yet fine with the fact that he's a gay man in a relationship.  He himself is uncomfortable, and I wonder if the producers specifically sought someone who IS uncomfortable versus someone who could ACT uncomfortable.

Time will tell what the future holds for Drew and how those ideas come to life in Brendan's performance, but at the moment, I have the sense that his casting was very deliberate.

• Love 1

I guess what's just disappointing to me is that Drew is an incredibly interesting and appealing character and when Fehr came out and said things that were at least boneheaded if not actually offensive, it really took some of the shiny off the character.  Not to belabor the point any more than I already have, there are two straight actors on freaking Days of Our Lives who have been called upon to be incredibly affectionate with each other, and far from complaining, both have embraced (and have been embraced by) the gay press for it.

Hell, a few years ago, Luke Macfarlane (who, for the record, is gay) was regularly making out with another straight actor on Brothers and Sisters.

• Love 1

I guess what's just disappointing to me is that Drew is an incredibly interesting and appealing character and when Fehr came out and said things that were at least boneheaded if not actually offensive, it really took some of the shiny off the character.

Same here.  His problem isn't being romantic with someone he's not attracted to (unless he's attracted to every woman he runs across) so his problem is it's a guy.  I agree with whoever said if he doesn't like he shouldn't go out for these kind of roles, much less take them.  And if he doesn't like but it's not so bad he can still act it, then shut the fuck up and act it.  

Not for nothing, but if you'd asked me back when I was watching Roswell (I see your side-eyes of ... judging, but we're watching this show, ain't we?) I probably would have said that Fehr probably didn't have a problem playing a gay (or at least hetero-flexible) character, because judging by his chemistry with Jason Behr's character, Fehr's Michael Guerin? Not a Kinsey 0. I'm just saying.

• Love 1

I'm not sure if I want to be happy about that or not.

I wonder if next season's promo shots will be even stupider than this season's?

Warm up the Photoshop!

• Love 3

NBC’s The Night Shift is giving Jill Flint a BFF in Season 2.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Merle Dandridge (Sons of Anarchy, Star-Crossed) is joining the Peacock’s summertime medical drama in the recurring role of Gwen, a lead paramedic working at San Antonio Memorial Hospital and the best friend of Flint’s Dr. Jordan Alexander.

Dandridge, who is set to appear in a minimum of six episodes, joins fellow Season 2 newbie Adam Rodriguez (CSI:Miami), who will recur as a trauma surgeon.

TVLine

That's an idiotic decision.  People hatedwatched over the summer because there was nothing else on.  I don't know if one hatewatchs a continuing series when there's actual new programming all over the dial.

I saw a promo video for the new season last night during the NFL Wild Card game on NBC.  (I can't find said promo anywhere online.)  I thought it was funny because the entire promo was about Scott being the one who is "good" for Jordan, yet TC is the one that she's drawn to.  NBC still doesn't understand that there's a segment of the audience that doesn't care about the triangle.  I'm looking forward to seeing Topher, Drew, Kenny, Krista, Regosa, and Landry again.

Just saw a preview on NBC for the February 23 return. (Taking over Parenthood's spot?) Hot damn! It is going to be terrible.

Terribly delicious, you mean. I haven't seen a show this awesomely hate-watchable in a long time...

• Love 1

Can't say this pic is as good as last season's but...

the-night-shift.jpg?w=580

I loved the awful cliched badness of it in S1 and was constantly amazed how Topher and Ben (?) seemed to be in a much better show.

And I need a S1 refresher before S2 starts. 

Nice effort, NBC, but you have to work harder to top T.K. driving a freaking motorcycle in the hospital.  Still one of my favorite promo shots.  It was just so ridiculous!

I still question it's early return.  I think this works perfectly as a summer show, but February, when it actually has competition?  Seems like a risk.  But, maybe NBC just doesn't have much else.

• Love 2

Just saw that (big, imo) spoiler on TVLine, and I didn't see posted it here yet so here it goes:

Is Daniella Alonso return to The Night Shift? Her character is my favourite but I don’t see her in any Season 2 promo or poster. –Ivan
Sorry, Ivan, but Alonso/Dr. Landry De La Cruz will not be a part of the NBC medical drama when it returns on Monday, Feb. 23 at 10/9c.

I'm bummed. I was looking forward to the return of my guiltiest pleasure and suddenly, I'm not sure I'll enjoy it anymore.

I guess that they have no use for a romantically mature female character?  And my Landry/Ragosa ship! Nooo!

I don't hate TC/Jordan, but I didn't have the feeling that the show truly revolved around them last season, and the promos make me fear it might be the case, whereas the love triangle is actually my least favorite part.

• Love 1