Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Double Trouble

• Start Topic

Finally everything is starting to coalesce. I figured it was only a matter of time before Alex would start working with Carol.

Then Hopper fudges the numbers so Piper is the first inmate out so she stops sniffing around about the drugs. I wish we had gotten a glimpse to see if any of the other characters are in the top 25.

Black Cindy really did sell out Taystee - no last minute change of mind. And for some reason I was really thinking Red was putting on an act about Freida for Carol, but guess not. Trying to strangle Freida (did she really think that would succeed?) was more important than seeing her grandchildren.

Gloria with the big speech...to dead air. I knew it wasn't live since they didn't show any reactions.

I'm assuming that even though certain characters aren't playing in the kickball game, there will be some reason they'll be there for the bloodbath. Hopefully Red and Gloria miss out since they're both in SHU.

And finally...Maria, really? Come on girl, did you learn nothing about leading one riot? Now it's your career?

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, yellowcalla said:

It was pretty heartbreaking when Red chose to attempt to strangle Frieda instead of see her grandchildren at visitation. 

I had been feeling so sorry for Red all season (and a good part of last season because of her abuse at the hands of Pescatella) until she did this.  I do still feel sorry for her but can't believe she blew it with the visitation after she finally succeeded in getting her son to bring the grandchildren.  Now he probably never will again.  And he was apparently the only one who was even willing to talk to her at all; now he might not even accept her phone calls, much less come for in-person visits.  I guess he was right when he told her that she put that glass partition between herself and her family.

I have never been clear on exactly what Red did to land in prison in the first place.  I don't think they were very specific in her backstory episode.  Does her family feel that her punching a mob boss' wife was when she "chose" to go to prison or did she do something more specific later on?

Edited by Blue Plastic
  • Like 1
  • Love 13
(edited)

I don't remember very well, but wasn't Red a mob boss in her own right?

After searching, I found this article: http://orange-is-the-new-black.wikia.com/wiki/Galina_Reznikov

She was more of a racketeering boss, but murder is probably involved, too. I'd love another backstory episode on Red to flesh this out more.

Her decision to seek revenge on Frieda instead of see her grandkids is tragic, but it's decisions like these that caused her to end up in prison in the first place.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Andromeda said:

I don't remember very well, but wasn't Red a mob boss in her own right?

After searching, I found this article: http://orange-is-the-new-black.wikia.com/wiki/Galina_Reznikov

She was more of a racketeering boss, but murder is probably involved, too. I'd love another backstory episode on Red to flesh this out more.

Her decision to seek revenge on Frieda instead of see her grandkids is tragic, but it's decisions like these that caused her to end up in prison in the first place.

I just still don't really understand because it was her husband that brought the mobsters into their lives in the first place.  I find it hard to believe that he sought out their company without knowing what they were about and possibly being willing to do illegal favors for them.  Yeah, maybe Red got them involved more deeply, but the husband started it IMO!

Anyway, something I like about this show is how they get me to sympathize with someone like Red so much and then turn around and slap me in the face with their bad side.

• Love 3

@Blue Plastic, Red got involved on her own (they even seemed to imply she pushed her husband out) because it was her idea to smuggle (drugs? guns?) through government contracts. There was a scene where she's sitting at the table with the mob guys, they defer to her like she's a leader and she tells her husband to go make them coffee while the mob guys laugh at him. I think she's in for racketeering / organized crime. They found the bodies in her freezer after she was arrested if I recall. My guess is she took the fall for her husband.

Edited by ExplainItAgain
  • Love 5

I wonder why McCullough chose to go back to work at Litchfield.  I remember them saying when she started how she was ex-military and it was one of the only jobs she could get in the area.   But after all that and if she is self harming and lashing out I question why she would take this job again.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, IDreamofJoaquin said:

I wonder why McCullough chose to go back to work at Litchfield.  I remember them saying when she started how she was ex-military and it was one of the only jobs she could get in the area.   But after all that and if she is self harming and lashing out I question why she would take this job again.

Maybe MCC/PCC offered them all raises or compensation deals, but contingent upon returning to work. They probably could have done more to expand on that. 

• Love 2
On 8/7/2018 at 5:14 AM, IDreamofJoaquin said:

I know it shouldn't surprise me that the COs were just turned loose without any counseling or evaluations, but you'd think MCC, or whatever the new name is, would have at least covered their asses in some way with something for these people! 

I'm annoyed that we're supposed to believe that Gloria is that stupid. The Gloria I've been watching for the previous 5 seasons would have stuffed those papers in her pants and used them later, when she could figure out how they could actually be beneficial. She had to know she had no power there and that the guard, who was freaking involved, would stick her in SHU. 

Daya isnt going to make it, is she? I have not watched the last episode so this is just my speculation. It felt like anvils dropping everywhere with her poor decisions. I guess a life sentence will do that to some people. 

• Love 2
On 7/29/2018 at 4:25 PM, ExplainItAgain said:

Finally everything is starting to coalesce. I figured it was only a matter of time before Alex would start working with Carol.

Then Hopper fudges the numbers so Piper is the first inmate out so she stops sniffing around about the drugs. I wish we had gotten a glimpse to see if any of the other characters are in the top 25.

Black Cindy really did sell out Taystee - no last minute change of mind. And for some reason I was really thinking Red was putting on an act about Freida for Carol, but guess not. Trying to strangle Freida (did she really think that would succeed?) was more important than seeing her grandchildren.

Gloria with the big speech...to dead air. I knew it wasn't live since they didn't show any reactions.

I'm assuming that even though certain characters aren't playing in the kickball game, there will be some reason they'll be there for the bloodbath. Hopefully Red and Gloria miss out since they're both in SHU.

And finally...Maria, really? Come on girl, did you learn nothing about leading one riot? Now it's your career?

I was really curious as to who got shoved out so Piper could be bumped up and I guess we will never learn... though it would be so interesting if we were to learn that it was Alex.

On 7/31/2018 at 9:19 PM, ExplainItAgain said:

@Blue Plastic, Red got involved on her own (they even seemed to imply she pushed her husband out) because it was her idea to smuggle (drugs? guns?) through government contracts. There was a scene where she's sitting at the table with the mob guys, they defer to her like she's a leader and she tells her husband to go make them coffee while the mob guys laugh at him. I think she's in for racketeering / organized crime. They found the bodies in her freezer after she was arrested if I recall. My guess is she took the fall for her husband.

I believe it was Red's idea to get a contract with the prison.  The mob was killing people and hiding them in her freezer and I'm guessing that is what she went down for.  Once she was in the prison, someone put it in hear head (and I think it was Freida but I could have just pulled that out of thin air) to start a smuggling business through the vegetables coming into the prison since she is why they got the contract in the first place. I do remember her saying that she never smuggles in drugs or anything like that.  Just shampoo, cell phones, food, and that sort of thing.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:37 PM, Squirrely said:

I know it shouldn't surprise me that the COs were just turned loose without any counseling or evaluations, but you'd think MCC, or whatever the new name is, would have at least covered their asses in some way with something for these people! 

I'm annoyed that we're supposed to believe that Gloria is that stupid. The Gloria I've been watching for the previous 5 seasons would have stuffed those papers in her pants and used them later, when she could figure out how they could actually be beneficial. She had to know she had no power there and that the guard, who was freaking involved, would stick her in SHU. 

Daya isnt going to make it, is she? I have not watched the last episode so this is just my speculation. It felt like anvils dropping everywhere with her poor decisions. I guess a life sentence will do that to some people. 

My prediction is that Daya is going to OD next season and we will see the guild Aleida feels since she knew Daya was using and chose to continue to smuggle in the drugs.

On 8/12/2018 at 8:41 PM, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I believe it was Red's idea to get a contract with the prison.  The mob was killing people and hiding them in her freezer and I'm guessing that is what she went down for.  Once she was in the prison, someone put it in hear head (and I think it was Freida but I could have just pulled that out of thin air) to start a smuggling business through the vegetables coming into the prison since she is why they got the contract in the first place. I do remember her saying that she never smuggles in drugs or anything like that.  Just shampoo, cell phones, food, and that sort of thing.

Yeah, Red advised the mob guys to stop focusing on unreliable contracts with restaurants and diners (as they go under so regularly) and to go for government contracts with schools, hospitals, prisons, etc. The (benign variety of) smuggling came in once she was actually in prison and saw that Litchfield used that vendor in the kitchen. Leveraging that connection was Vee’s suggestion when Red was first incarcerated. (They were both in orange, and in Anita and formerly-Rosa’s room, as I recall, and though Red was the newbie, Vee seemed to not be on her first stint in jail.)

*(Just rewatched the first three seasons; my first repeat viewings.)

• Love 2

I too was disappointed in Red, to give up seeing her grandkids for attacking Freida.

I kept expecting Hellman to actually do something to Piper that was seen by other guards to make it valid, not just write up some bogus report.  I partly expected that Piper was already in the top 25, given her short remaining time, relatively minor crime and relatively problem free.

I too hoped that Cindy would ultimately say something.  But that only happens in Perry Mason.

• Love 2