Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01 Who Knows Better Than I?

• Start Topic

I've been looking forward to S6 all summer, but I did not enjoy this episode at all. Actually, I'm on episode 4 and it feels like the magic is gone. Too many characters... I just don't care about any of them like I did in the first few seasons.

• Love 19
(edited)

I almost gave this season a pass, I hated last season with a vengeance. But I thought I'd give it a try. I did not enjoy it a bit. The original seasons were often bleak, but there was, at least, some humor now and again.

I've no problem with Suzanne, the poor woman's got serious mental problems. But she's not a pleasure to watch, and right now none of them are. The situation is just too hopeless and brutal, and I'm guessing it doesn't get much better.  I've only watched the first episode, and I'm already missing a number of characters who I found more interesting in general than the ones who are now in max (other than Red, of course).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 16

Suzanne is one of my least favorite characters and the focus on her this episode was way too much. We're trying to determine what happened after the riot and we get all these hallucinations right off. She's off her meds, we get it. And Piper wants to know about Alex, we get it.

I did like Daya's spunk! She also usually one of my least faves. 

New characters? Come on...I'd rather see updates on the missing characters.

The CO Hellman seems a Piscatella in the making. The other two main guards are like Beavis and Butthead - way too stupid to live.

• Love 12
Just now, shantown said:

Just finished episode 1 - I'll watch them all because I have a thing about finishing shows once I start them - but I'm really just not feeling it. I get that shows have to keep getting bigger and edgier, but the past couple seasons have just had too much violence and sadness to enjoy watching. It's a prison show, it can't all be rainbows and butterflies but I miss the lightness interwoven in earlier seasons. Even when things were bad you had to get a chance to know these women and see friendships develop and learn about their lives. Now it's all just hitting and yelling and it feels so hopeless to watch. Like there's nothing to look forward too because these people are just going to keep getting beat down physically and mentally.

My feelings exactly.

I also used to watch shows to the bitter end, but I got older and decided I didn't want to spend my time watching something I didn't enjoy (or at least, feel moved by).  I've been dropping them more and more lately. I haven't decided on this one yet, but it's not looking good.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I get that people are tired of the harshness, but they're in max now, it's bound to be worse than the minimum security facility they were in before. I liked it. It wasn't fun, but I'm still engaged.

I'm hoping this is as dark/desperate/depressing as it gets though. Like when Weeds had that weird couple seasons in the middle with the sexual abuse and slave tunnel, and then tried to get back to being a dark comedy about selling weed. I'm hoping we come out on the other side of this season back in gen pop full time and back to focusing on the interpersonal connections between the characters/

• Love 7
2 hours ago, shantown said:

Just finished episode 1 - I'll watch them all because I have a thing about finishing shows once I start them - but I'm really just not feeling it. I get that shows have to keep getting bigger and edgier, but the past couple seasons have just had too much violence and sadness to enjoy watching. It's a prison show, it can't all be rainbows and butterflies but I miss the lightness interwoven in earlier seasons. Even when things were bad you had to get a chance to know these women and see friendships develop and learn about their lives. Now it's all just hitting and yelling and it feels so hopeless to watch. Like there's nothing to look forward too because these people are just going to keep getting beat down physically and mentally.

My feelings exactly. 

And I don't give a damn about the new guards and inmates. As if the cast of characters isn't large enough. And I'm not thrilled about yet another ultra-shitty guard to abuse the women. I know this is a prison show, but as many have mentioned, there used to at least be some fun and lightness despite the overall dire setting. Now it's hard to see the light. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, shantown said:

Your last sentence (accurately) makes the show sound comparable to Handmaid’s Tale, and I’m not sure I can do two shows like that at once. I get that sometimes art is just a reflection of the times we live in, but I need some escapism in my entertainment also.

• Love 9

I just watched this and the focus on Suzanne was a bit too much for my taste.  Oh and Piper shut up and just see what happens! 

I watch Wentworth as well.  That show is kind of leaving me wanting more too.  So, now gonna watch the second of both and see if either engages me.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I actually liked this episode, for the most part.  Maybe it was just from being desperate to have something to binge watch!  The bad guards are horrible to watch but other than that I liked it.  It was interesting to see some of the (familiar) cast wearing makeup and clothes that do not go with their normal characters (such as Red dressed up as a clown) and seeing things through Suzanne's eyes (normally she annoys me) with prisoners and guards stomping and singing.  Plus I hadn't realized right away that Suzanne's mother was not actually there!  Piper was annoying as usual, but what else is new?  I liked seeing the (familiar) characters having to get their bearings in a new place and try to figure out what is going on in the aftermath of the riot.

My only concern (besides the bad guards) is seeing all the new characters and wondering how much time they are going to take away from the regulars, plus the fact that apparently some of the inmates were sent to other states and wondering if they are going to be seen at all.  (I haven't kept up on any casting info or spoilers so I don't know if some of the actors are not being used this season or what.)

Edited by Blue Plastic
  • Love 8
(edited)
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I get that people are tired of the harshness, but they're in max now, it's bound to be worse than the minimum security facility they were in before. I liked it. It wasn't fun, but I'm still engaged.

I understand that they're in max, and it's going to be worse. But that's my problem, there's only so much bleakness and brutality I can watch. I liked this show because of the relationships and the occasional warmth and humor. If it's going to be unremittingly awful, I'm definitely not in the frame of mind to continue.

13 hours ago, funnygirl said:

And I'm not thrilled about yet another ultra-shitty guard to abuse the women. I know this is a prison show, but as many have mentioned, there used to at least be some fun and lightness despite the overall dire setting. Now it's hard to see the light. 

Amen.

9 hours ago, kieyra said:

Your last sentence (accurately) makes the show sound comparable to Handmaid’s Tale, and I’m not sure I can do two shows like that at once. I get that sometimes art is just a reflection of the times we live in, but I need some escapism in my entertainment also.

I made it through the second season of Handmaid's Tale, but it was a struggle. Especially these days, I'd like some escapism too. It also doesn't help that I'm currently serving on a jury so this shit is all too real.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Badison. Really?

Madison "Badison" Murphy, whose nickname already tells you a lot about her. Who plays Badison in Orange Is the New Black Season 6? Her name is Amanda Fuller and if you think she looks familiar, it's probably because she's already made a name for herself on the small screen (Last Man Standing, Grey's Anatomy, Scandal).

• Love 1

Although this episode was a bit off from what we're used to, I've got five seasons invested, so I'll stick it out for #6.

I must say I hope the "where's Alex" arc doesn't last too long.

• Love 9

"Badison" is a stupid name. Even by prison nickname standards. 

I was happy to get to see the characters again, although I think having Suzanne be the main viewpoint character was a mistake. We already have new characters and a new setting, we dont need to jump right into hallucinations and dance numbers. And, this kind of looks like its going to be a repeat of the last two seasons, constant brutality and violence, everything sucks for pretty much everyone, asshole guards, people getting beaten and falling apart. I dont mind this show taking some dark turns, but I wish it could find a balance between the first season, which was a little bit "slumber party prison sentence" at times, and the last few seasons, which is a few murders away from being Oz. I know I will keep watching, as I've been watching for this long, and I still enjoy aspects of this show, but I hope this season can find that balance again. 

Really, I think they've just gone so hard on the whole "the prison system is messed up you guys!" thing in the last few seasons, that they've lost what made the show work. In the first few seasons, they did a good job at showing how messed up the system was, but without dropping so many anvils about it. We saw plenty of times how messed up things were, without mustache twirling businessmen and sadistic psychopathic guards. 

• Love 15

I was turned off by the beginning. Yes, we get it, Suzanne has problems. The hallucination scenes went on and on and ON, without really adding anything to the story. 

Lots of new characters—seemed to sort of, I dunno, water things down somewhat? 

Already sick of Piper. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8

I did not like the new character that tripped Piper and is bunking with Red. Have we met her before because Red seemed to know her and wasn’t happy about having to share her cell with her. Good on Red though for refusing to give up her bunk. A showdown between those two is being set up and I like Red so I hope nothing bad is going to happen to her. This season looks dark enough already. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Really, I think they've just gone so hard on the whole "the prison system is messed up you guys!" thing in the last few seasons, that they've lost what made the show work. In the first few seasons, they did a good job at showing how messed up the system was, but without dropping so many anvils about it. We saw plenty of times how messed up things were, without mustache twirling businessmen and sadistic psychopathic guards. 

Agreed.

• Love 6
(edited)
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was never into Suzanne much, so I hope this kind of 'gets her out of the way'. 

I actually have been interested in the last season and seeing here how it's going to play out. I like shows that try to evolve and change. Engaged is a good term. I'm not someone who needs someone to root for on a show to want to watch. I'm very interested in seeing who gets pinned for the riot.

20 hours ago, shantown said:

Like when Weeds had that weird couple seasons in the middle with the sexual abuse and slave tunnel, and then tried to get back to being a dark comedy about selling weed.

I was thinking the same thing. I liked that Weeds moved into different phases. For example, I never really was interested in Piper's story, but the show moved past that as the main plot. 

I know it's probably going to get a lot worse this season than last, but I'm all right with that. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 6

I don't know. It's a show about prison. It's going to be bleak. I mean, the Wire was like this-- showing the complexities of the drug world, without whitewashing it. Breaking Bad was pretty bleak. I haven't watched Handmaid's Tale, but I don't see how you could make a show about that topic and have it be light. I love comedy, but I'm not sure I'd want a show about prison or the drug trade or female sexual slavery to be primarily fun and games.

I actually find this show very hopeful in the way it humanizes and delves into motives for even the most horrible people and situations. It's not trying to make us hate anyone. It's trying to get us to empathize and be aware, and it's trying to help us understand how things turn out the way they do. It's not simplifying it into 2 dimensional people and all or nothing condemnation. Some of the people are psychopaths but not all, even among the worst perpetrators of harm. I like that.

Piper is the most boring character for me.

• Love 14
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:26 PM, ExplainItAgain said:

I'm 4 episodes in and it does get a little better. Hopefully the upward trajectory continues.

well that's good to hear because honestly, I was a bit bored by this first ep.(and got halfway through the second, not thrilled by it so far either)

I had to come here to see if anyone else wasn't feeling it also yet.  I will keep watching but will take a while to finish, I have tons of other stuff I'd rather watch first.

13 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I understand that they're in max, and it's going to be worse. But that's my problem, there's only so much bleakness and brutality I can watch. I liked this show because of the relationships and the occasional warmth and humor. If it's going to be unremittingly awful, I'm definitely not in the frame of mind to continue

Yea I am not sure I can handle another season of awful sadistic guards, and like others I am kind of ovr Suzanne. I mean it sucks that she is in prison, but even so gen pop is a terrible place for her (and those around her).

I did like how they revealed what her tv watching hallucinations meant thoigh, that was well done.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I feel like they don't really know what to do with her anymore. She could have got out in S4, and they could have kept the same storylines, and the show would have been fine as it was. I get the point they're trying to make with her character. She hasn't really been front and center so I really don't mind that she's still around. To be fair, I do hope she finishes out her sentence and gets out. In this kind of show, you can't have tragic endings for everyone. 

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I mean, the Wire was like this-- showing the complexities of the drug world, without whitewashing it. Breaking Bad was pretty bleak.

And you still had some small victories - the kid that ended up living with Bunny on The Wire, or Jessie got out on Breaking Bad. So you need that in this kind of show too. Those shows also had gallows humor, and this show did for a while, and I think you need to have some of that to make a show like this work. 

• Love 2

I was totally bored. Another season of evil guards that are beating on these women, evil guards framing the prisoners for the death that was their fuck up. What made this show great was it had a heart, yes these women had committed crimes but they showed us enough of their stories that we had a frame of reference. Suzanne, enough already, not only is watching her not enjoyable but the real sin is that it isn’t moving the story along. If these prisons can’t see she belongs in a mental institution and not in gen pop then we are all doomed and it insults us as viewers that they leave her there because.......well I don’t know. 

Ill keep going because I’m six seasons in but this needs to course correct quickly. 

• Love 8

I’ll be honest, once it was obvious that Suzanne’s hallucinations were filler to avoid showing us the aftermath of the riot, I fast-forwarded through all of them. 

• Love 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't know. It's a show about prison. It's going to be bleak. I mean, the Wire was like this-- showing the complexities of the drug world, without whitewashing it. Breaking Bad was pretty bleak. I haven't watched Handmaid's Tale, but I don't see how you could make a show about that topic and have it be light. I love comedy, but I'm not sure I'd want a show about prison or the drug trade or female sexual slavery to be primarily fun and games.

I actually find this show very hopeful in the way it humanizes and delves into motives for even the most horrible people and situations. It's not trying to make us hate anyone. It's trying to get us to empathize and be aware, and it's trying to help us understand how things turn out the way they do. It's not simplifying it into 2 dimensional people and all or nothing condemnation. Some of the people are psychopaths but not all, even among the worst perpetrators of harm. I like that.

I understand what you're saying, but for me it's not just about the topic being bleak. There has to be something else that engaged me (someone, possibly you, used that word and it's a good one), and for the first 4 seasons, OitnB had me engaged.

Breaking Bad is a good reference - I was totally engaged, every season, with Breaking Bad. I haven't managed to watch the Wire, because it's too bleak. Spitball analysis - the difference in Breaking Bad is that the lead characters were the ones with agency - they were creating the circumstances that led to their downfall. The women in this show are mostly done to - at least by the guards - and I'm tired of seeing it. They haven't added any new dimension, for me, that makes it worth watching. 

I certainly don't want a comedy about prison, but even in prison there are moments that can be amusing, and the earlier seasons had plenty of that. Heck, even Piper getting in Red's bad graces in the first episode was pretty damned funny.

I do agree that the show has, for the most part, given a lot of dimension to the characters.

Totally agree on Piper. Her character could have been dropped at any point after the first season, imo.

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

And you still had some small victories - the kid that ended up living with Bunny on The Wire, or Jessie got out on Breaking Bad. So you need that in this kind of show too. Those shows also had gallows humor, and this show did for a while, and I think you need to have some of that to make a show like this work. 

Agreed. You said it better than I could manage.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
(edited)

It's hard to give a shit about Piper when some of these women are potentially facing life in prison and getting beat by sadistic guards, on the regular.  Jesus H. Christ.

Edited by Sweet Summer Child
  • Love 12

I was turned off by the beginning. Yes, we get it, Suzanne has problems. The hallucination scenes went on and on and ON, without really adding anything to the story. 

That pissed me off more than anything else. I wish I could get a message to the collective writers of all TV that not every damn show has to be an acid-driven art project. Quit angling for critical adulation and Emmys and just tell a damn story already. I mean, if I had been tripping or at least high maybe I would have thought this was pretty awesome, but I was stone cold sober and it just seemed indulgent and stupid to me. I thought they kind of crossed the line last season with the talent show but they keep moving that line further and further away from anything remotely realistic. I didn't think it was cool or interesting or creative or whatever they were going for. I just thought it was dumb and pointless.

• Love 9
(edited)
8 hours ago, Sweet Summer Child said:

It's hard to give a shit about Piper when some of these women are potentially facing life in prison and getting beat by sadistic guards, on the regular.  Jesus H. Christ.

I think it’s necessary to show the contrast between how an articulate, educated white cis-woman gets treated at least somewhat differently from any of the minorities or immigrants. Many of whom were there on even lesser drug charges, IIRC. Actually, I worry about this element being missing with Piper gone.

I won’t spoil anything by saying the season finale intentionally makes this difference quite stark. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 15

I hope that things change and the show doesn't stay like this for the whole season, because I don't know if I can do it.  I felt like the Suzanne tv gimmick went on way too long.  And I just can't watch more violence for the sake of showing prison brutality.  I get that it does happen and it's not the "camp" that Piper was initially put into, but, for the guard to just go beat Tastee because . . . who knows why, I just can't do it.  And the 2 guards making Mendoza and Maria? (I forget her name), perform for them as a punishment, it's just too much.  

It feels like it's veering into a weird David Lynch kind of territory and losing some of the fun, entertainment (even when things were dark in previous seasons, there was fun), and without it, I just don't want to watch anymore.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, kieyra said:

I think it’s necessary to show the contrast between how an articulate, educated white cis-woman gets treated at least somewhat differently from any of the minorities or immigrants. Many of whom were there on even lesser drug charges, IIRC. Actually, I worry about this element being missing with Piper gone.

I won’t spoil anything by saying the season finale intentionally makes this difference quite stark. 

Now that's an excellent point I didn't consider. Though I'd rather have Alex be the contrast, she's just as articulate and educated (I believe), and somewhat less obnoxious.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Now that's an excellent point I didn't consider. Though I'd rather have Alex be the contrast, she's just as articulate and educated (I believe), and somewhat less obnoxious.

I think Alex was born into poverty and didn't go to college. (Abandoned by rock star Dad, working-class Mom, the other kids made fun of her knock-off sneakers in school, found her 'voice' through crime.) Just a counterpoint, not a hill I'm going to die on. :)

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, kieyra said:

I think Alex was born into poverty and didn't go to college. (Abandoned by rock star Dad, working-class Mom, the other kids made fun of her knock-off sneakers in school, found her 'voice' through crime.) Just a counterpoint, not a hill I'm going to die on. :)

Me neither. :) I wasn't sure about Alex's background. I still your point is an excellent one, even if I would love to have someone other than Piper be the contrast.

• Love 4

I think "Crazy" Suzanne is very very limited. Uzo Aduba hasn't done anything immediate and fresh with it in a long time. I recall a few scenes where the crazy wasn't foremost and she was able to conduct conversations that straddled the line between comedy and drama, and you could see the intelligence underneath Suzanne's issues. The childlike, off her meds Suzanne has been over done, and not very WELL done, IMO. It just feels like obligatory set pieces written to serve an Emmy winner and not serve the show. It's also easy to write, IMO, so, lazy and a crutch.

I always abandon shows when it loses the balance between suck and entertaining.

• Love 5

The hallucination may have gone on too long, but I did like that they showed the system just doesn't take inmates with mental problems seriously.  Maybe Suzanne should be in a psych ward, but in prison, they'd stick her in a segregated unit and let her rant all day until her meds kicked in.  That's she was anywhere near gen pop in the first place was only for plot purposes and her parents' high priced, well connected lawyers.

The guards would get away with their frame job in real life but I need them to get caught.  I need a little justice on the this show after Poussey and the general injustices the inmates go through.

• Love 4

I said at the end of last season that I was glad that Piscatella was dead and that I would be worried about them trying to frame the inmates for it if it weren't for the forensics. Clearly, i am something of an optimist for thinking that there would be a proper, impartial investigation. 

I couldn't finish the episode. I 've watched and enjoyed a lot of harsh tv shows and I might return to this show in the future but my tolerance for depressing shows has decreased significantly. I think it's time to become more discriminating in my viewing. If a show doesn't leave me feeling happy or satisfied then I'm not going to watch it.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

I couldn't finish the episode. I 've watched and enjoyed a lot of harsh tv shows and I might return to this show in the future but my tolerance for depressing shows has decreased significantly. I think it's time to become more discriminating in my viewing. If a show doesn't leave me feeling happy or satisfied then I'm not going to watch it.

I agree with you. I almost didn't finish the episode either.  But things really pick up later.  I've been laughing at so many of the lines, especially from Nikki. It gets better. 

• Love 5
On 7/29/2018 at 7:11 AM, kieyra said:

I’ll be honest, once it was obvious that Suzanne’s hallucinations were filler to avoid showing us the aftermath of the riot, I fast-forwarded through all of them. 

I did the same.  She used to be interesting and funny, now she is over-acting and annoying.  

On 7/29/2018 at 9:51 PM, smores said:

It feels like it's veering into a weird David Lynch kind of territory and losing some of the fun, entertainment (even when things were dark in previous seasons, there was fun), and without it, I just don't want to watch anymore.

I would actually love for David Lynch to take over - the show would get weird but good!

I think I remember hearing that the show runner started to bring in less experienced writers, to give them a chance.  I think that is a really nice thing to do but the writing is kind of terrible.  Bring back the seasoned professionals.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Are there *any* prison guards aren't sadistic assholes? 

Luschek. I mean, he’s lazy as fuck, and happy to bend the rules but I don’t think he’s evil or sadistic. He’s the type of guard who will let bad things happen, but won’t actively make them happen. 

Edited by Ceindreadh
  • Love 5

I guess I am in the minority because I loved it! I believe Jenji wrote this one so I don't think it was any newbie writer. Thought it captured Suzanne's issues very well, yet still managed to entertain me. I binged on the first three episodes - it's my favourite binging show. I don't find it unrelentlessly depressing either, I find myself laughing within highly dramatic situations, find the pathos blends nicely with the comic moments. I completely relate to not wanting to immerse yourself in a horrible violent situation but OITNB never completely wallows in it, unlike The Handmaid's Tale. That's a show I have to talk myself into watching. In fact I haven't even begun season two, but no hesitation to begin this one. And I see it as incredibly relevant with the current U.S. immigration situation.  Not that I could watch a show that caged children, but I can extrapolate the tensions that develop within it. Institutions are horrible, for whatever reason somebody is being held against their will. I'll probably never see the inside of one and this is my opportunity to vicariously experience it. At the very least, I will have much more empathy for anyone that has had to endure any length of time spent in one.

• Love 5
On 7/31/2018 at 6:42 AM, snowwhyte said:

I said at the end of last season that I was glad that Piscatella was dead and that I would be worried about them trying to frame the inmates for it if it weren't for the forensics. Clearly, i am something of an optimist for thinking that there would be a proper, impartial investigation. 

Same here. I stopped about halfway through. I just couldn't take it anymore. I understand it's a prison but watching these women being beat on and abused just because they're in a position where they're vulnerable and can be beaten by those in authority is not what I want to see. The first few seasons were a mix of hope and despair with some genuinely happy moments. This episode was just violence against the inmates and showing that there's no one in their corner. 

Bleak and depressing and dark. No thanks.

• Love 4