Type keyword(s) to search

BtVS in the Media

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Jesus H.!  The Orb of Thessula doesn't glow???

Talk about your "shoddy Gypsy craftsmanship", ffs.

I like the contrast between the S1 Charmed remaster and the S3 BtVS one, not only because it (sadly) shows how inferior this one is, with Shannen Doherty looking alive and vital and detailed and SMG looking like a washed out Barbie doll, but because Shannen and Sarah are such good friends IRL, so it almost seems as if Pru is sad not because of her and Andy's relationship troubles, but because of how awful Buffy looks.  God, that's just ghastly.

As for the ridiculous over-cropping to chop the 4x3 originals down to 16x9 (but on a smaller frame), is it worth it to lose Angel's hand on Willow's throat in Innocence (yes, they really did that!) if it means we also lose Spike drilling Buffy up the butt in Dead Things?

Obviously not.  Because, y'know, I can just not watch Dead Things.  A policy I've been happily following since 2002, in fact.

"Grr, arggh", indeed.

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Jesus H.!  The Orb of Thessula doesn't glow???

Talk about your "shoddy Gypsy craftsmanship", ffs.

I like the contrast between the S1 Charmed remaster and the S3 BtVS one, not only because it (sadly) shows how inferior this one is, with Shannen Doherty looking alive and vital and detailed and SMG looking like a washed out Barbie doll, but because Shannen and Sarah are such good friends IRL, so it almost seems as if Pru is sad not because of her and Andy's relationship troubles, but because of how awful Buffy looks.  God, that's just ghastly.

As for the ridiculous over-cropping to chop the 4x3 originals down to 16x9 (but on a smaller frame), is it worth it to lose Angel's hand on Willow's throat in Innocence (yes, they really did that!) if it means we also lose Spike drilling Buffy up the butt in Dead Things?

Obviously not.  Because, y'know, I can just not watch Dead Things.  A policy I've been happily following since 2002, in fact.

"Grr, arggh", indeed.

Personally I like to see both! (Angel's hand and Spuffy 5th base). 

Edited by Joe Hellandback

Geez, between Shannen's cancer and Selma's MS, being a friend of SMG's is about as good for your health as being one of Buffy's boyfriends!  Ouch! 😞

And when I saw the headline originally I was like "ooh, a date with a 'gal pal', huh?  Get some, Smidge!"  (Selma's been almost out about her bisexuality…I like the time she and Stana Katic rented a hotel room to  "rehearse" their kissing scene in a movie…gotta admire that kind of dedication to your craft, huh? 😉 )  But I think the part where Sarah had to push Selma in the wheelchair probably made it a little less sexy, unfortunately. Not to mention the part where they had their respective young 'uns with them.

(Unless you're really kinky, I guess.  But nah.)

Edited by Halting Hex

Sigh.  I guess Nick's modeling himself on Xander, and being "constant in [his] affections altercations", huh?  I would have hoped that rehab would have done it for him.  But apparently not.

Any chance we can blame this on Kelly, as the "evil twin"?  No?  And again, sigh.

11 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

Sigh.  I guess Nick's modeling himself on Xander, and being "constant in [his] affections altercations", huh?  I would have hoped that rehab would have done it for him.  But apparently not.

Any chance we can blame this on Kelly, as the "evil twin"?  No?  And again, sigh.

He's been sober a while, working and out of trouble, I expect he'll plead guilty and not do any time.

Wow, I didn't know there was another bloody Buffy/Angel reunion in February!..

Sarah Michelle Gellar misses out on major Buffy The Vampire Slayer reunion

The cast of Buffy The Vampire Slayer reunited on Saturday, 16 years after the show ended, and it has hit us right in the feels.

The Scooby gang is back together!

Sarah Michelle Gellar, David Boreanaz and Anthony Head were sadly missing, but Alyson Hannigan and Nicholas Brendon, who played Willow and Xander, were both in attendance and were joined by Charisma Carpenter, who played Xander’s high school girlfriend Cordelia.

Amber Benson (Tara), James Marsters (Spike), Alexis Denisof (Wesley), Julie Benz (Darla) Clare Kramer (Glory), Iyari Limon (Kennedy), Amy Acker (Fred) and James Leary (Clem) were all also there for the conversation which saw them discuss Girl Scout cookies and which Harry Potter houses they belonged in.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/27/buffy-vampire-slayer-cast-enjoy-sunnydale-high-reunion-16-years-show-ended-8760823/

W/X 21 years challenge:

310faq.thumb.jpg.c3ee9b156aa959e696ce00c07d349385.jpg

Wow.  I'm not sure I would have recognized Nick if I hadn't been told it was him.  So very different from even his other recent pics.

Aside from everything else, he's parting his hair differently.  To quote The Who, "And the parting on the left is now the parting on the right, and the beards have all grown longer overnight…"

(What's that you say?  In "Won't Get Fooled Again", the lyric is actually "the party on the left" and it's about politics, not hairstyling?  Huh.  Next thing, you'll be telling me that Jimi Hendrix didn't actually sing " 'scuse me while I kiss this guy" and "Are You Experienced?" isn't about bisexuality, after all…)

Well, apparently at some time during the event, NB decided he'd be more familiar-looking if he shaved, so he did:

sei_54394276-ff52.jpg?quality=90&strip=a

And then it took me forever to believe it was CC here, until I looked past the glasses and saw those beautiful eyes 😍

(edited)
1 hour ago, Halting Hex said:

I'm not sure I would have recognized Nick if I hadn't been told it was him.  So very different from even his other recent pics.

Unshaved Nick looks like Daniel Holtz's brother/son...

7 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

The Scooby gang is back together!

I don't quite think we can call Darla, Glory or Clem members of the Scooby Gang. Although I'm more than sure they would've become ones if they either survived (Darla, Glory) or started stalking Buffy/Willow/Xander (Clem). Hey, Angel, Anya and Spike can't be the only demons to have a privilege of becoming the SG members!

7 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

Sarah Michelle Gellar, David Boreanaz and Anthony Head were sadly missing

But so were Seth Green, Emma Caulfield, Michelle Trachtenberg, Danny Strong, J. August Richards, Christian Kane and Tom Lenk. And yet the article's author isn't saddened enough to even mention them...

And last but not least: I sincerely hope Nick Brendon is fine in every sense of the word. Since I don't want him to be the one to start slowly equaling the number of dead actors between Buffy's and Angel's main casts.

Edited by lembergwatcher
(edited)

Discussion of Joss possibly firing CC for getting pregnant in the "Calendar" thread led me to this article from The Telegraph (UK) in 2017:  Five Times Joss Whedon Blew His Feminist Credentials

In words of one syllable, "yoicks!"  Black Widow feels "unnatural" because she's infertile?  SMH.  And that's from Whedon "correcting" himself (after spending a year off Twitter pouting because of the controversy) and assuring us that Natasha calling herself a "monster" was about her career as an assassin, not her infertility issues.  So, not a "monster", just "unnatural", is it?  Oh, joy.

(This from the same film where the Vision is pure and "worthy" and pretty much a god from the day he's born.  And don't get me started on using Thor's hammer as a test of "worthy-ness" that only Ol' Vizh can pass…I actually own the Thor comic where Steve Rogers lifts Mjolnir just fine, thank you very much.  [Despite not being Captain America at the moment, because he defied the government.]  Feh.)

And his comments on Amber Benson are just…awesome.  To say nothing of the thankfully never-made "Inara gets gang-raped by an entire ship of pirates" episode of Firefly.  So nice to see that Joss learned so well from the controversy over Seeing Red the year before. 😠

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Discussion of Joss possibly firing CC for getting pregnant in the "Calendar" thread led me to this article from The Telegraph (UK) in 2017:  Five Times Joss Whedon Blew His Feminist Credentials

In words of one syllable, "yoicks!"  Black Widow feels "unnatural" because she's infertile?  SMH.  And that's from Whedon "correcting" himself (after spending a year off Twitter pouting because of the controversy) and assuring us that Natasha calling herself a "monster" was about her career as an assassin, not her infertility issues.  So, not a "monster", just "unnatural", is it?  Oh, joy.

(This from the same film where the Vision is pure and "worthy" and pretty much a god from the day he's born.  And don't get me started on using Thor's hammer as a test of "worthy-ness" that only Ol' Vizh can pass…I actually own the Thor comic where Steve Rogers lifts Mjolnir just fine, thank you very much.  [Despite not being Captain America at the moment, because he defied the government.]  Feh.)

And his comments on Amber Benson are just…awesome.  To say nothing of the thankfully never-made "Inara gets gang-raped by an entire ship of pirates" episode of Firefly.  So nice to see that Joss learned so well from the controversy over Seeing Red the year before. 😠

Which comments on Amber exactly? I thought bringing her and Mellie from Dollhouse onto TV was superb, 2 very unconventional beauties. 

2 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Which comments on Amber exactly?

From the article:

[Whedon] was initially unconvinced by the casting of actress Amber Benson in the role of Tara, girlfriend to Alyson Hannigan’s Willow.

“I didn’t know for sure,” he explained. “I was thinking of somebody more physically like Alyson: smaller and... [long pause] less womanly than Amber. It was [executive producer] Marti Noxon, when Amber auditioned, who said – you know, she knew the physical type I was thinking of because I really wanted that vulnerability. 

I'm hardly thrilled with how Whedon needs a "[long pause]" before he can come with something better than "not as fat as" in describing why he loves AA and Summer Glau, but not Amber.  Nor do I like that Marti apparently had to kiss up to him by telling him that his waif fetish was just about his wanting "vulnerability" in female characters.  Because Big Girls Don't Cry, I guess.

Strangely enough, Cordelia managed to have a rack and a heart as well.  Who knew?

And I'm surprised that Miracle Laurie is classified as an "unconventional" beauty, as if she were Ashley Graham or a Lane Bryant model.  She's a 36-26-35, allegedly…isn't 36-24-36 the supposed classical proportions?  Yes, according to this size chart, that 36 bust is too big for Amber's size 8s, and Miracle needs a 10 up top…but her waist is a 6 and her hips can fit into a 4, it seems.  So get her a 10 and take the waist/hips in a bit…that hardly makes her Melissa McCarthy, or anything like that.  But JMO.

7 Actor Feuds That Nearly Ruined TV Shows

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/tv/news/a12843/7-actor-feuds-that-nearly-ruined-tv-shows/

===========

"Rumour-suppliers blamed Gellar's desire to leave the show on the rivalry, which, if true, means this one was so bad it put a stake into the heart of a series that could've lasted longer than Spike's haircut (forever, then)" (c)

So now they blame Sarah/Aly rivalry and not Joss' "brilliant" decisions for ruining Buffy???

On 11/25/2019 at 8:58 AM, lembergwatcher said:

7 Actor Feuds That Nearly Ruined TV Shows

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/tv/news/a12843/7-actor-feuds-that-nearly-ruined-tv-shows/

===========

"Rumour-suppliers blamed Gellar's desire to leave the show on the rivalry, which, if true, means this one was so bad it put a stake into the heart of a series that could've lasted longer than Spike's haircut (forever, then)" (c)

So now they blame Sarah/Aly rivalry and not Joss' "brilliant" decisions for ruining Buffy???

No that convinced, people love to start these rumours. 

Obviously it's rumor, but it was pretty consistently out there that things were bad between SMG and AH/EC the last few years. EC alluded to "political' stuff on set in interviews after the series ended IIRC.

SMG also reportedly really didn't like Buffy's storylines in the last few seasons and was frustrated with Joss and the darker and less heroic direction the show went.

So it was probably both rather heavily weighing on her at the time.

Bonding on Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Who Fell in Love, Who Feuded and Who Became BFFs

https://www.eonline.com/news/919527/bonding-on-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-who-fell-in-love-who-feuded-and-who-became-bffs

"I think Nick and I might have kissed once, like off camera," Hannigan revealed on Watch What Happens Live years later. "He might have had a boob or something."

==========================

"I think we might have kissed"... So... Ally is not totally sure whether the kiss happened or not. Or she's not sure whether the guy was NB. Maybe it was Kelly Donovan, Nick's twin brother?..

On 11/27/2019 at 1:08 PM, lembergwatcher said:

Bonding on Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Who Fell in Love, Who Feuded and Who Became BFFs

https://www.eonline.com/news/919527/bonding-on-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-who-fell-in-love-who-feuded-and-who-became-bffs

"I think Nick and I might have kissed once, like off camera," Hannigan revealed on Watch What Happens Live years later. "He might have had a boob or something."

==========================

"I think we might have kissed"... So... Ally is not totally sure whether the kiss happened or not. Or she's not sure whether the guy was NB. Maybe it was Kelly Donovan, Nick's twin brother?..

Or maybe they'd been drinking? Likely in Nic's case. 

Dafuq, Joss???

Gotta keep the Faith! Eliza Dushku says she wasn't invited to the Buffy The Vampire Slayer reunion... despite starring in five seasons

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4384494/Eliza-Dushku-wasn-t-invited-Buffy-reunion.html

The 36-year-old took to Twitter to try and calm her fans, explaining she was never a full-time cast member.

==============================
Yeah, but so was Amber Benson (one appearance in the opening credits doesn't count)...

Edited by lembergwatcher
On 12/30/2019 at 5:59 AM, lembergwatcher said:

Dafuq, Joss???

Gotta keep the Faith! Eliza Dushku says she wasn't invited to the Buffy The Vampire Slayer reunion... despite starring in five seasons

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4384494/Eliza-Dushku-wasn-t-invited-Buffy-reunion.html

The 36-year-old took to Twitter to try and calm her fans, explaining she was never a full-time cast member.

==============================
Yeah, but so was Amber Benson (one appearance in the opening credits doesn't count)...

Daily Fail up to its usual standards, I see.  Eliza didn't star in "five" seasons, she appeared in three.  (And S4 was only a two-part guest shot.)  

Yes, it takes five years to get from S3 to S7, but Faith is unseen in S5/S6.  (Unmentioned, too, IIRC.)

Eliza appeared in 20 episodes, which is nice, but it's also less than fucking Lenk (26 episodes), ffs.  (Thank heavens he didn't get an invite…)  The idea that she didn't get the same invite as Amber (36 episodes) is defensible.  Even if Amber didn't have to handle a lot of dialogue in Villains.

Myself, I'm offended on behalf of Marc Blucas, who was not only in 32 episodes (we think; it's unclear if that's MB whom Oz spots tracking Veruca in Living Conditions or if those are only stunt-commandos) and in the main cast for an entire season's worth (4.11-5.10), but who was also the title character's love interest for most of that time, a fairly significant role, I'd think.  But hey, it's all about Angel and Spike…puny humans are just so boring, don't you know?  Feh.

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 2

Might as well do the math properly…

Appearances:

SMG, 144 episodes.

Alyson, 144 episodes.

Nick, 143 episodes.  (Seriously, Conversations with No Xander…grr.)

ASH, 121 episodes.  (8 in S6, 13 in S7.  Not counting Never Leave Me, where Giles is seen in the "Previously…", but not in the episode itself.)

JM, 95 episodes.  

Emma, 82 episodes.

MT, 66 episodes.  (A late arrival, but there every week.  Just one scene in Selfless, but still putting in the work.)

David B., 57 episodes.  (7 in S1, all bar Inca Mummy Girl in S2, and all 22 in S3.  Then six official crossovers [2 each in S4/S5/S7] and an uncredited cameo in The Freshman [it really is David whom Buffy sees at the bar, before the guy turns around in the next shot, and it's not Angel, after all.])

Kristine Sutherland, 55 episodes.

Charisma, 54 episodes. (Skipped The Pack and  IRYJ)

Seth Green, 39 episodes.  (10 in S2, 21/22 in S3, six as a regular in S4 and two returns in the back end)

Amber, 36 episodes. (12/18/16 in her three seasons, respectively.)

Marc, 32 episodes.

The multi-award-winning Danny Strong, 28 episodes. (6 each in S2 and S3, Superstar, 11 in S6, and 4 in S7)

Lenk, 26 episodes.

Eliza, 20 episodes.

Juliet Landau, 17 episodes (the same 12 as JM in S2, Fool For Love, Crush, and three S7 appearances)

Armin Shimerman, 16 episodes (2 in S1, 6 in S2, 7 in S3, and Restless)

Robia LaMorte, 14 episodes only, sadly.

Adam Busch, 14 episodes.

Harry Groener, 14 episodes (11 in S3, This Year's Girl, and two visits courtesy of the First)

D.B. Woodside, 14 episodes, allegedly.  (I can't be bothered to try to remember which S7 eps Wood is in, and IMDb no longer seems to list individual appearances.  Or I can't access that version, at least.)

Claire Kramer, 12 episodes (11 in S5, and the Parade o' Bads in Lessons)

Mercedes McNab, 10 episodes, 11 credits (Harmony's scene in Surprise was cut, but MMcN's credit survived, anyway.)

Bailey Chase, a decent amount.  (Don't forget he's in three eps of S5.)  But who gaf about Graham, anyhow?  (And we don't know if he and Leonard Roberts were actually in The Freshman, Living Conditions, Fear Itself, or Wild at Heart.  At least Blucas is seen without the commando mask in three of those four.)

Mark Metcalfe, 8 episodes.  (That's a Stunt!Master in When She Was Bad.)

• Love 2
On 1/1/2020 at 10:57 AM, Halting Hex said:

Might as well do the math properly…

Appearances:

SMG, 144 episodes.

Alyson, 144 episodes.

Nick, 143 episodes.  (Seriously, Conversations with No Xander…grr.)

ASH, 121 episodes.  (8 in S6, 13 in S7.  Not counting Never Leave Me, where Giles is seen in the "Previously…", but not in the episode itself.)

JM, 95 episodes.  

Emma, 82 episodes.

MT, 66 episodes.  (A late arrival, but there every week.  Just one scene in Selfless, but still putting in the work.)

David B., 57 episodes.  (7 in S1, all bar Inca Mummy Girl in S2, and all 22 in S3.  Then six official crossovers [2 each in S4/S5/S7] and an uncredited cameo in The Freshman [it really is David whom Buffy sees at the bar, before the guy turns around in the next shot, and it's not Angel, after all.])

Kristine Sutherland, 55 episodes.

Charisma, 54 episodes. (Skipped The Pack and  IRYJ)

Seth Green, 39 episodes.  (10 in S2, 21/22 in S3, six as a regular in S4 and two returns in the back end)

Amber, 36 episodes. (12/18/16 in her three seasons, respectively.)

Marc, 32 episodes.

The multi-award-winning Danny Strong, 28 episodes. (6 each in S2 and S3, Superstar, 11 in S6, and 4 in S7)

Lenk, 26 episodes.

Eliza, 20 episodes.

Juliet Landau, 17 episodes (the same 12 as JM in S2, Fool For Love, Crush, and three S7 appearances)

Armin Shimerman, 16 episodes (2 in S1, 6 in S2, 7 in S3, and Restless)

Robia LaMorte, 14 episodes only, sadly.

Adam Busch, 14 episodes.

Harry Groener, 14 episodes (11 in S3, This Year's Girl, and two visits courtesy of the First)

D.B. Woodside, 14 episodes, allegedly.  (I can't be bothered to try to remember which S7 eps Wood is in, and IMDb no longer seems to list individual appearances.  Or I can't access that version, at least.)

Claire Kramer, 12 episodes (11 in S5, and the Parade o' Bads in Lessons)

Mercedes McNab, 10 episodes, 11 credits (Harmony's scene in Surprise was cut, but MMcN's credit survived, anyway.)

Bailey Chase, a decent amount.  (Don't forget he's in three eps of S5.)  But who gaf about Graham, anyhow?  (And we don't know if he and Leonard Roberts were actually in The Freshman, Living Conditions, Fear Itself, or Wild at Heart.  At least Blucas is seen without the commando mask in three of those four.)

Mark Metcalfe, 8 episodes.  (That's a Stunt!Master in When She Was Bad.)

I like Graham. Interesting to see KS is actually in more eps than some of the regulars, you sometimes forget how few eps ED was in. 

Kristine Sutherland:

S1, 7 episodes (WTTH/The Harvest, Witch, Angel, The Puppet Show, Nightmares, Prophecy Girl)

S2, 12 episodes (When She Was Bad, School Hard, Inca Mummy Girl, Ted [wow, that's a long time off…maybe Joyce really did take ill during Reptile Boy?], Bad Eggs, Surprise, Innocence, BB&B, Passion, Killed by Death, Becoming Parts 1 and 2)

S3, 14 episodes (Anne, Dead Man's Party, Faith Hope & Trick, Band Candy, Lovers Walk, Amends, Gingerbread, Helpless, Bad Girls, Consequences, Earshot, Choices, The Prom, Graduation Day part 1)

S4, 5 episodes (The Freshman, Fear Itself, This Year's Girl/Who Are You, Restless) —allegedly, Joss told Kristine before the season that he wouldn't be using her much in S4, but she'd work a lot in S5.  And that he was going to kill her off.

S5, 15 episodes (Buffy vs. Dracula, Real Me, Out of My Mind, No Place Like Home, Fool for Bleach through The Body, and The Weight of the World as a flashback)

S6, Normal Again

S7, CwDP and whenever First!Joyce shows up to tell Buffy she needs to sleep (Bring on the Suck?  "S7:  Buffy Needs a Nap" does tend to blur, I admit)

7+12+14+5+14+1+2=55 episodes (At first, I thought Kristine had been in NKAetc, but Joyce is spared seeing Xander and Willow's horrible Susannah-wear in that ep.  So whoever did the original count had it correct, after all.)

Aside from the B/X/W/G "Core Four", Kristine is the only actor to appear in all seven seasons.  (David is network-banned during S6.)  Which isn't bad for having your character die halfway through S5, I'll admit.

Edited by Halting Hex
On 1/1/2020 at 12:51 AM, Halting Hex said:

Myself, I'm offended on behalf of Marc Blucas, who was not only in 32 episodes (we think; it's unclear if that's MB whom Oz spots tracking Veruca in Living Conditions or if those are only stunt-commandos) and in the main cast for an entire season's worth (4.11-5.10), but who was also the title character's love interest for most of that time, a fairly significant role, I'd think.  But hey, it's all about Angel and Spike…puny humans are just so boring, don't you know?

Well, I'm also offended on behalf of Marc Blucas, but him not being present wasn't the only shitty thing about the so-called "reunion"...
https://www.inquisitr.com/4101377/buffy-reunion-player-missing-from-group-shot/

On 2/1/2020 at 5:21 AM, lembergwatcher said:

Well, I'm also offended on behalf of Marc Blucas, but him not being present wasn't the only shitty thing about the so-called "reunion"...
https://www.inquisitr.com/4101377/buffy-reunion-player-missing-from-group-shot/

I can't find it, but I read somewhere that Nick Brendan said David Boreanaz didn't want him there (bc of the past domestic abuse charges, and didn't want him around the women), so he had a later call time than everyone else and they photoshopped him in.

4 hours ago, punkypower said:

I can't find it, but I read somewhere that Nick Brendan said David Boreanaz didn't want him there (bc of the past domestic abuse charges, and didn't want him around the women), so he had a later call time than everyone else and they photoshopped him in.

Well, I know that. The question is who made Boreanaz the boss and who told him the women needed his "protection"? Besides, there were allegations of sexual harassment against Boreanaz himself and the guy admitted to cheating on his wife.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/harassment-suit-against-david-boreanaz-dismissed/

Therefore I think neither David nor Joss are in any position to point their fingers at NB (even though I don't condone Nick's behavior). But JMO, of course.

Btw, I always wondered whether Nicholas Brendon was the only bad apple among Buffy/Angel main cast (apart from Glenn Quinn, of course)? Was he the only bad boy out there while his colleagues were model citizens? Just asking.

Edited by lembergwatcher

Hard to say who should and shouldn't have been invited. Think of Danny Strong, who was with the franchise from the unaired pilot, dropping in occasionally through to the last season of the show. Of course Jonathan was never what you'd call a fan favorite.

Indeed, if it's true that David Boreanaz wanted Nicholas Brendon out of the shoot, it's puzzling that he would have so much authority.

The characters of Xander and Angel had zero chemistry on the set, it's just as well that they were supposed to dislike each other. Their only real teamwork that I can recall was in "Prophecy Girl" ("You were looking at my neck!")

2 hours ago, watcher1006 said:

The characters of Xander and Angel had zero chemistry on the set, it's just as well that they were supposed to dislike each other. Their only real teamwork that I can recall was in "Prophecy Girl" ("You were looking at my neck!")

There was School Hard as well. Btw both Prophecy Girl and School Hard do not put Angel in a good light (at least, from where I stand). As for the chemistry... Xander had zero chemistry with the vast majority of male characters of the show. From what I remember, the only male character who at least tried to be Xander's friend was Riley. 

26 minutes ago, lembergwatcher said:

From what I remember, the only male character who at least tried to be Xander's friend was Riley. 

Now, now. Larry tried. At least was willing to be supportive if Xander finally "came out".

Of course there was Jesse at the very beginning.

It may have been the actor but I think it was more the writing that was to blame in that I think the show was deficient in developing "bro" relationships for Xander. Xander even mentions in "Bargaining Pt. 2" I believe that "...do I ever need male friends."

Xander wasn't best bros with any of the major male characters on the show but I found his relationship with Spike much more entertaining to watch than that with Angel. Chemistry between actors doesn't always mean portraying a friendship, it's more varied than that.

As for Jesse counting or not, it depends on the meaning of "count". Yes he was brought in and dispensed with quickly at the beginning of the show. I only brought him up because those first two episodes showed that Xander could have had real male friends, had the writers chosen to go in that direction with him. They did not, no more than they did with Xander the skateboarder. The first season was naturally focused on his relationships with Buffy and Willow.

Now in Season 7:

I recall a trivia item on the old tv.com site which claimed that the writers of the show considered bringing back Michael Balfour to reprise his role as Jesse in "Conversations With Dead People". If that had happened the episode would have had a Xander with Jesse conversation rather than a Willow with Cassie (stand-in for Tara) conversation and Willow wouldn't have appeared in the episode".

Does anyone watch High Maintenance on HBO? The latest episode revolved around a lighter that had a sticker of SMG as Buffy on it. The lighter is passed from character to character, and one of the characters was played by K. Todd Freeman (Mr. Trick). He looks at the lighter and comments that it has Sarah Michelle Gellar on it.

On 3/3/2020 at 2:58 AM, sanford said:

Does anyone watch High Maintenance on HBO? The latest episode revolved around a lighter that had a sticker of SMG as Buffy on it. The lighter is passed from character to character, and one of the characters was played by K. Todd Freeman (Mr. Trick). He looks at the lighter and comments that it has Sarah Michelle Gellar on it.

Don't think we get that in the UK but I'll watch out. Interesting comment from Ben Affleck on the Buffy Movie;

https://www.imdb.com/news/ni62805744?ref_=tt_nwr1

Speaking of Sarah Michelle Gellar's Instagram (as I was in the "Buffy" topic), apparently there's a "Dolly Parton Challenge" on SM at the moment, where you present yourself as you would on four different platforms.  Here's Smidge's entry:

81736502_512688919600147_9165082777136272075_n.jpg

• Love 1

The Best High-School Show of the Past 30 Years, Round One: Buffy the Vampire Slayer vs. Dawson’s Creek

And, all appearances to the contrary, they have more in common than just a network and a cast of attractive young unknowns. Each turned its screenwriter creators, Joss Whedon (Toy Story) and Kevin Williamson (Scream), into showrunning icons. Both featured gay romances, which was extraordinary and noteworthy at the time. Buffy’s protagonist was the Chosen One; Dawson’s acted like he thought he was. Both could easily top lists celebrating Best Teen Angst, or Shows for Which You Were Maybe Technically Outside the Demographic But Were Obsessed With Anyway.

https://www.vulture.com/2015/10/buffy-dawsons-creek-best-high-school-show.html

4 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

The Best High-School Show of the Past 30 Years, Round One: Buffy the Vampire Slayer vs. Dawson’s Creek

And, all appearances to the contrary, they have more in common than just a network and a cast of attractive young unknowns. Each turned its screenwriter creators, Joss Whedon (Toy Story) and Kevin Williamson (Scream), into showrunning icons. Both featured gay romances, which was extraordinary and noteworthy at the time. Buffy’s protagonist was the Chosen One; Dawson’s acted like he thought he was. Both could easily top lists celebrating Best Teen Angst, or Shows for Which You Were Maybe Technically Outside the Demographic But Were Obsessed With Anyway.

You might have mentioned that the article was over four years old.  I rushed over to vote for my Scoobies, only to find that such an impulse was even less timely than [/any number of 2016-based jokes that might violate the "no politics" rule; use your imagination].  I trust the gang slayed all the competition, right to the end?  Who could beat them?

(My So-Called Life?  Well done, but just the one year because Clare Danes was being sexually harassed and quit. Can't celebrate that.  Daria?  Animation is cheating, IMO.  BH90210?  Certainly iconic in its day, but lacks gravitas.  You don't see Emma going to a "CondorCon" to talk about her role as Susan Keats, do you? The Vampire Diaries?  We were first and better.  Yes, Nina Dobrev is ungodly hot, but I'd rather look at pics of her in a bikini and try to decide if she and Julianne Hough really were in a longterm relationship than watch Angel and Spike [or whatever their names are on that series] prance around Mystic Falls, tyvm.)

I grant you some of the reasoning the authors used is flimsy (I'm not going to agree that BtVS "kept trying" to the end, not with S7 seeming to be nothing more than "Going Through the Motions") and there has to be a better argument for Capeside than unending Pacey-adoration  (particularly since Whedon had two of those "hey, a blank canvas can be an appealing romantic lead, since they've just been sitting around hitting their one note while the original protagonists have been dealing with messy stuff and pissing off some of the 'SQUEEE!' brigade" candidates for empty fluffery;  I'm glad the authors didn't fall down the Oz or Spike rabbit holes, but that doesn't mean they weren't available), but the right show won, so I'll take it, I guess.  But it's much of a mootness, as I said.

On 4/5/2020 at 4:10 PM, lembergwatcher said:

Essentially both pretty white (mostly rich) kids with problems but Buffy's are a lot more serious.