Type keyword(s) to search

BtVS in the Media

• Start Topic

From SMG's Facebook page:

“20 years ago today, I had the greatest privilege to bring Buffy to your tv screens for the first time. It was a long and challenging road to get there. First the movie, then a passed over pilot presentation, and eventually a mid season time slot on a little known network. That first season, we liked to think of ourselves as the little show that could. While we knew the potential, I don’t think any of us saw the lasting impact our show would have. As an actor, you wish for that one role where you can leave your mark and forever be remembered, with Buffy I got so much more. She’s a feminist challenge to gender hierarchy. Buffy may have been the Chosen One, but I was the lucky one. Thank you to Gail Berman for always believing there was a show in that movie. Thank you to Joss Whedon, for trusting me to give life to one of the greatest female characters ever created. Thank you to David, for always being my Angel. Thank you to James for understanding that while Buffy and Spike may have been love/hate, I have nothing but love for you. Alyson, as any woman knows, you are nothing without the love and support of great female friends, so thank you for being that. Michelle, you will always hold a key to my heart. Thank you to all the incredible actors for seven seasons of amazing performances. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the incredible crew that worked tirelessly (and also really tired) to bring this show to life. And lastly, but most importantly thank you to all of you, the fans. We made this show for you, and your unwavering support has kept this show going long past our seven years. You are everything. And always remember…“if the apocalypse comes, beep me” #buffyslays20″

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dee said:

She thanks Michelle, Alyson, David and James personally, but not Nick or ASH. Interesting.

I thought the same thing. They were obviously purposely left out, I wonder why.

EW has a reunion video that's pretty cool. It's nice to see everyone back together again.

I'm also excited about the novel news. I've read a book by Kiersten White before and I liked her writing style.

• Love 2

@justcris, thanks for posting that! I just came here to do same and was blown away by everyone (except ASH) being all together again. Time again, to thank the master. Love you, Joss.

• Love 1

I miss ASH but damn I loved seeing Kristine Sutherland there. Joyce Summers was not a fan favorite character but she was so important to the show.

Loved seeing the photo with Allyson Hannigan, Seth Green and Amber Benson. Willow and her loves. Also Emma Caulfield(Anya) holding the bunny!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

There will be a new Buffy spin-off series about one of the new potential slayers, but it's a novel series rather than a new tv show or a movie. No words on Joss's involvement. Not sure if I am going to read it, but I'm a little happy that the Buffyverse is resurrected in some form. I think it's just such a rich universe that offers the opportunity for more stories with new characters.

I honestly would have liked to read about the Vampire Slayers before Buffy. Like the one that Spike murdered in China? 

It would be so interesting to learn about Slayers from different eras and their Watchers. I know there was a Slayer who was a slave which interested me. I would love to get the back story of all those girls who saved the world before Buffy. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

I honestly would have liked to read about the Vampire Slayers before Buffy. Like the one that Spike murdered in China? 

It would be so interesting to learn about Slayers from different eras and their Watchers. I know there was a Slayer who was a slave which interested me. I would love to get the back story of all those girls who saved the world before Buffy. 

Then this is what you want. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_the_Slayers

I love this.  But I think it's strange that they had Alexis there and not Eliza.   Granted,  I'm a huge Faith fan,  but I feel Faith had a bigger impact on BtVS  than Wesley did. 

17 minutes ago, nosleepforme said:

Especially Charisma is still a knock-out. 

I'm starting to believe she is a vampire, or maybe has a painting of herself that's aging in her attic!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

There was also this book back in the day, which told the story of a slayer when Spike and Drusilla were traveling across the Globe, killing potentials. It wasn't canon and it was released years before season seven, but it was actually pretty decent.

I think for just being the "Mom" character on a show about teenagers, Kristine Sutherland was actually very well-liked by fans- otherwise her death on the show wouldn't have hit as hard as it did. But since she was only a recurring character and rarely involved in any of the main storylines (=demon hunting storylines), it's no surprise that she isn't a big fan favorite when there were so many other characters around who had a bigger impact on the storylines. And I feel like the adult characters in general, Giles and Joyce, they are easy to be taken for granted, especially by the younger viewers of the show.

I feel like he probably went along with Alyson because he's friends with Joss and the people at the photoshoot were probably just like "Oh this is Wesley, let's put him into the shoot". :D They should have taken a picture with only David, Charisma and Alexis too though.

I loved the reunion thing, even though I'm a little disappointed that I can't just pick up this issue of Entertainment Weekly, being in Europe and all. Hopefully someone can scan the article. By the way, I'm really surprised by how good everyone still looks. They're all over 40 (except for Michelle), but they aged very gracefully. Especially Charisma is still a knock-out. 

I hope there is still plenty of more Buffy coverage to come this year. I really want this universe to be revived in some way. If not with a new show/movie, then at least with new merchandise. (I'm still hoping for new soundtracks with original score from the other composers.)

SMG is still holding onto her 30s ... for like 2 more weeks.  ;)

Agree they all look pretty great. Michelle T. was always cute, but she is seriously gorgeous as an adult.  I like that she doesn't feel the need to sport a traditional "Hollywood thin" figure.  ;)    

I haven't purchased a magazine in like 5 years but will definitely be buying this issue!!

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 1

I didn't realize it was the 20th anniversary till I saw a link on another site. Then I came here to see if it was mentioned and found all kinds of links. 

I never buy magazines these days, but I may buy this issue to add to my collection of EW's "Farewell to Buffy" (May 10/03) and EW's "The Ultimate Buffy Viewer's Guide" (Oct 1/99).  Wonder how much EW costs these days?  Probably a bit more than the $2.99 and $3.50 I paid in 1999 & 2003. 

Eliza tweeted that she wasn't even asked to do the EW thing. I don't even know if she could have gone...isn't she shooting 'Bull'? ASH couldn't go because of the play he did. Alexis was only there because his wife was, I'm guessing.. I still don't know why he's even in it. They never had him talk so why bother. I rather would have had Eliza.

• Love 1

Its crazy with this being the 20th anniversary and Netflix is taking the show off on April 1st. 

Its a shame Eliza was not even asked.

Being a subscriber to EW sometimes is a good thing lol look forward to open my mail box and see this issue.

Charisma Carpenter looks good even better then in the last few seasons of Angel. I didn't like how she kept changing her hair the blonde didn't work.

• Love 1

I hope the show turns up on another streaming service -- just saw today that Netflix has axed it.   The cable channel that sometimes showed episodes, Pilot, also went off the air a few months ago. 

18 hours ago, jjj said:

I hope the show turns up on another streaming service -- just saw today that Netflix has axed it.   The cable channel that sometimes showed episodes, Pilot, also went off the air a few months ago. 

Hulu has all 7 seasons.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:29 PM, stagmania said:

Loving all the nostalgia articles today, and the lighthearted resurgence of all the old fandom arguments. For the record: Team Spike and Yay Season 6.

I'm right there with you! Spike all the way! and season 6 -- love!

• Love 1

Late posting these but here are ideo clips from the reunion:

'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Reunion: The Cast & Creator Reflect On the Show's Legacy | PEN | People

Buffy Reunion: The Cast Reveals The One Way They'd Consider A Reboot | PEN | People

Joss Whedon Reveals Why Buffy & Angel 'Is The Grandest Love Story I’ll Ever Tell' | PEN | People

(note he said "grandest" not "greatest" so settle down Spuffy shippers)

Buffy Reunion: Why Alyson Hannigan Calls The Willow & Tara Relationship A Gift | People

Buffy Reunion: How James Marsters Helped Inspire The Musical Episode | PEN | Entertainment Weekly

How Sarah Michelle Gellar Tried To Keep Buffy's Mom From Being Killed | PEN | Entertainment Weekly

Buffy reunion: Why 'Hush' was the 'hardest episode' for the cast to shoot

Buffy Reunion: Why Emma Caulfield Thinks Her Death Was 'Lame' | PEN | Entertainment Weekly

'Buffy' Cast Reveals That David Boreanaz Was Always Naked On Set | PEN | Entertainment Weekly

'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Reunion: Inside Our Top Secret Shoot | Cover Shoot | Entertainment Weekly

This is awful. I spent most of last night and all of today over on Whedonesque.com, which has decided to shut down. Totally understandable in light of the devastating news, but the end of an era. That site has been solid, largely unchanged, for 15 years. Those of us that were there from the beginning, and others, have been posting goodbyes. 

• Love 2
(edited)

@Willowy so sad that they've decided to shut down. Maybe someone can set up a new non-Whedonish forum for everyone to hang out? As problematic as JW is, I am still grateful that BtVS existed and that I got to meet so many other fans online because of his shows. 

When I initially saw that his ex had written something, I wasn't sure if it would just be sour grapes or a shocking expose.  Sadly I wasn't surprised by anything she said.

Of course now people are focused on figuring out who he slept with on which shows which is putting a lot of the Buffyverse actresses under scrutiny which is sad since I'm guessing the majority of them did not sleep with him. 

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4
On 2017-08-08 at 6:43 PM, nosleepforme said:

I was kinda hoping this 20th year anniversary thing would maybe lead to another soundtrack with unreleased music from the show (hello Thomas Wander, composer of Buffy seasons five and six), but so far I have been fairly disappointed in the lack of new cool merchandise. I mean, there was a little bit that they put out there, but I wasn't that impressed soooo far.

La La Records has hinted on the Film Score Monthly website that they will be releasing this year a 4 disc set that covers all 7 seasons (except the musical). 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

There is a new book coming out this, an oral history of Buffy and Angel, including a bunch of interviews with pretty much everyone involved in either series.

Dang, I saw that article a few days ago but missed the fact that it was an excerpt from a book. Realizing that would only have intensified my initial reaction, which was shock at how badly edited the piece was, just a completely random mishmash of quotes that are barely organized by topic or time or anything. So I don't have high hopes for the finished book either.

It's a shame, because some of the quotes themselves seem potentially interesting, more warts-and-all than you usually get when Joss's collaborators talk about his work. But I can't imagine combing through a bunch of scattershot material in which Joss drools over Willow some more or a Firefly writer talks about whether he's a Xander or a Willow to get to the good stuff.

• Love 1
On 10/3/2017 at 0:01 PM, nosleepforme said:

Also recent behind-the-scenes drama: David Boreanaz apparently blocked Nicholas Brendon from being at the 20th Anniversary Photoshoot by Entertainment Weekly. So Nick's call time was much later than the rest of the cast and he had to be photoshopped into the group picture.

Bravo for David. I used to feel bad for Nick, when I thought he was just a drunk heartbroken by the end of his big day in the spotlight. The fact that he is a woman-beating scumbag kind of ended that. 

Cheating on your wife is shitty. Being busted twice for beating your girlfriend (the latest just a month or so ago, btw) is quite another topic. If none of the women had the guts to say something, I am glad David did. Fuck Nick, and fuck those still willing to do appearances with him. 

• Love 1
On 3.10.2017 at 9:01 PM, nosleepforme said:

Also recent behind-the-scenes drama: David Boreanaz apparently blocked Nicholas Brendon from being at the 20th Anniversary Photoshoot by Entertainment Weekly. So Nick's call time was much later than the rest of the cast and he had to be photoshopped into the group picture.

Nicholas Brendon is the only one who accused David. And frankly the guy who plays the eternal victim when he isn't being busted isn't a reliable source. It makes even less for it to be DB since his 20th anniversary interview was all about Glenn Quinn and his struggles with addiction.

I suppose it could be her outfit from End of Days at the bronze,  but then they left out the studded belt.   Shrug.   I'm being so petty about it when I should just be happy about a Faith funko. 

I'm way late reading this, but so disappointed in the news about Joss.  I remember during the Buffy days how he'd speak so fondly about Kai.  It's not unusual for marriages to end, but it is sad to read about all the affairs.  ?

1 hour ago, nosleepforme said:

La La Land Records has strongly hinted that the new Buffy limited edition 4-CD soundtrack is going to come out on January 23rd, 2018. The official statement will probably come later this month. Very excited for this.

Too bad it's not in time for Christmas!

Does this mean there's a chance we might get the repeats back to airing?  Because I just lost my entire DVR episodes collection due to a botched "upgrade".  (I added another DVR, but the bozo installer set the record default to "keep until disk is full" rather than "keep until I delete", and apparently the new unit's preferences overrode those on the older one.  So, as the old unit was crammed to the gills [not just 50+ BTVS eps, but lots of other stuff], even a test drive of the new one [like 15 minutes of tennis and 15 of basketball, that's all] wiped out hours and hours and hours.  Pretty much everything I had recorded, pre-this January.)  It's the uber-suck.  Mix in a little rectal surgery, and it's my best day ever.  My life can, on occasion, suck beyond the telling.  And other relevant quotes.

(Or, in the words of VampWillow: "Oh, f—")

So it would be cool if the show could start airing again.  Because I have tapes and DVDs and the Chosen Collection on my computer, but nothing was as good as just scrolling down and clicking on the episodes.  And now I don't even have that!  (Anya to Xander, Where the Wild Things Are, about his penis.  But you knew that…)

Sigh.  I don't even care if they run them at 3.00 or some other vampire-friendly hour.  I've got this brand new DVR, you see…

Edited by Halting Hex