Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Mizumono

Bedelia always looks worried to me.  I think she must feel that her life is not her own.

Such a good point and probably true.  Much like Will didn't have his own life either.  Hannibal is rather greedy, isn't he?  I'm grateful the dogs are still alive.

Am I crazy and it was going to be Bedelia all along?  She did tell Will and Jack that Hannibal was in control.  The fuck, Bedelia?  Maybe she was Hannibal's backup plan in case things went down--the way they went down.  Could Dr. DuMaurier be Mischa?  Is that possible?  I feel like all bets are off on this show with regard to book canon, and I love it.

I like this, the ultimate long con. It would also explain the creepy connection between them.

I know Will is beloved by many and this will garner venom, but at the end of the day, all of this is Will's fault. Had he just killed Hannibal when he first had the chance rather than opt to play a game of "My brain's bigger than yours," all of this could have been avoided.

• Love 11

I like this, the ultimate long con. It would also explain the creepy connection between them.

I know Will is beloved by many and this will garner venom, but at the end of the day, all of this is Will's fault. Had he just killed Hannibal when he first had the chance rather than opt to play a game of "My brain's bigger than yours," all of this could have been avoided.

He's a fool if he thought even for a second he could outsmart Hannibal. Did the FBI ever try good old surveillance (yeah, yeah, secret tunnels, I know) or other non-entrapments means?

• Love 2

Mads is now Hannibal Lecter in my mind, and I've spent the last few days trying to convince everyone I know who isn't watching Hannibal to start watching it - they are all missing out. This finale was spectacular. Hannibal's voice actually wavered for the first time and that little thing made the scene with Will particularly powerful. What Mads and Hugh have done with those characters is just so impressive.

WRT Hannibal's seeming lack of injuries - In the gifs someone posted earlier in the thread, you can see that Hannibal's bottom lip is split, and given his knowledge of...everything, I can happily fanwank that his bruised face is artfully covered with makeup.

• Love 4

Wasn't it around here somewhere that someone said Anthony Hopkins needs to pack up his Oscar and send it to Mads?  Yes, exactly.  Mads is the definitive Hannibal for me and I can't imagine anyone other than Hugh Dancy as Will.  

He's a fool if he thought even for a second he could outsmart Hannibal. Did the FBI ever try good old surveillance (yeah, yeah, secret tunnels, I know) or other non-entrapments means?

Well, Jack did nick some of the food from the party for testing though he was the opposite of smooth when he did it.  *shrug*  Yeah, there were failures all around. 

• Love 3

I still don't see it as entrapment. As someone else said, if I tell someone "Hey, why don't you kill Jon Smith" and they do, it's their fault.  They are responsible, they are the one to go to jail.  

And no one forced them to kill Jon Smith. It's not like murder for hire - no exchange of money.  It's not like holding someone's kid hostage and threatening to kill them unless they kill someone else.  It's not like holding a gun to their head and telling them to kill someone else or else you'll kill them.  Heck there wasn't even any psychological driving going on, like Hannibal has done to others.

• Love 3

By that logic, this is all Jack Crawford's fault. He prevented Will from killing Hannibal when he first had the chance in Season 1, shooting Will. He and Alana together prevented Will's second attempt to kill Hannibal via proxy Matthew Brown.

But it's actually Hannibal's fault all of this happened. Hannibal is the monster. Blaming Will for Hannibal's actions is, quite literally, victim blaming. A highly problematic point of view.

• Love 9
(edited)

By that logic, this is all Jack Crawford's fault. He prevented Will from killing Hannibal when he first had the chance in Season 1, shooting Will. He and Alana together prevented Will's second attempt to kill Hannibal via proxy Matthew Brown.

But it's actually Hannibal's fault all of this happened. Hannibal is the monster. Blaming Will for Hannibal's actions is, quite literally, victim blaming. A highly problematic point of view.

Well, with Will's S1 finale attempt on Hannibal, Jack didn't share Will's knowledge of Hannibal's guilt. So of course he should have prevented Will from killing Hannibal who wasn't armed at the time so it couldn't have even have been claimed to be in self defense by Will (although with Hannibal, does he really need to be armed to be considered "unarmed" after some of the stuff we've seen him do?).

Hannibal is absolutely 100% responsible for his actions. Independent of that, Jack and Will's plan was ill-fated from the get-go.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 2
(edited)

Wasn't it around here somewhere that someone said Anthony Hopkins needs to pack up his Oscar and send it to Mads?  Yes, exactly. 

I will help pay the postal fees! Mads is that good!

I too don't blame anybody for Hannibal's actions, he is Hannibal after all. But one must really ask, why did Jack and Will come out with such a half baked and illegal plan? If they don't care anymore about doing illegal stuffs (eg: mutilating Randall Tier's body) and willing to break the law to arrest Hannibal, why tell the whole plan to Kade Purnell then? They must know she won't agree using their plan to arrest Hannibal, because it won't stand in court. So in the end, they failed because their whole plan is illegal in the first place and because they are so naive expecting everyone else in the FBI to work outside the law with them. Not blaming them, just disappointed with them.

Edited by yuliana
  • Love 1

I think the original plan was fine.  Have Will be "deep undercover" until Hannibal reveals his true self and doesn't hide anything from Will.  Even wanting to kill with him.  And hopefully, they would stop the murder in progress (but if it was someone like Mason, I wouldn't care).  But when he didn't actually kill Mason, and Mason wouldn't finger Hannibal as the one that  hurt him, Jack got impatient.  So they upped the game, tried to make something happen with suggesting Hannibal "reveal" himself to Jack.  And that's when things went sideways.  Of course, I'm glad they wanted to speed things up.  Hannibal had pretty much dropped his guard with Will - maiming Mason in front of him and all that.  He was also going to "give" Abigail back to him as a gift, so the time was ripe.  But then Hannibal smelled Freddie on Will and got the upper hand again. 

• Love 2

Although the plan was sped up with regard to Mason and derailed with regard to Freddie, it was all predicated on the idea that Jack and Will could catch Hannibal in the act of attempting to murder, but not succeeding in the actual murdering, even though they didn't know the time, place, or means in advance, and the assumption that they'd get sufficient evidence as well as cooperation from the intended victim, and that through that attempt, they could then not only have that crime to pin on him, but then be able to pin a host of past murders on him.

I don't have a better plan, but I think their plan was contingent on too many factors out of their control to be likely to succeed.

• Love 2

There's been some really fucked up shit on this show, but Hannibal slitting Abigail's throat really got to me for some reason. I may have to stop liking that evil mofo.

It's why I wonder what really motivates Hannibal's emotions. She was such an afterthought during that whole ordeal. Did he ever really care for her, or was she just some object to entice Will into his life? Once their friendship went south, she became expendable. And he forced her to relive the trauma of being attacked by her father. Which wasn't meant to torment her, but Will.

I don't see how this is Will's fault. He didn't attack Alana, he didn't attack Jack, he didn't hide Abigail and then slit her throat. Whatever Will's faults, Hannibal is the serial killer here. Hannibal is responsible for the bloodbath. And however flawed the plan, I don't agree that killing Hannibal in cold blood is something Will should be doing.

Once their friendship went south, she became expendable.

There are plenty of parents in the real world who kill their children to spite their partners, so Hannibal doing it doesn't surprise me. He kills so often and for less personal reasons that doing so to hurt Will is almost more normal.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think the original plan was fine.  Have Will be "deep undercover" until Hannibal reveals his true self and doesn't hide anything from Will.

Except that if you look at this through any sort of realty-lens, it really strains credulity that Crawford -- let alone Will -- is still on the Ripper case, given all the deaths of witnesses, investigators, suspects, etc. that have happened during the course of the investigation.  It's been pretty bungled. 

I don't see how this is Will's fault. He didn't attack Alana, he didn't attack Jack, he didn't hide Abigail and then slit her throat. Whatever Will's faults, Hannibal is the serial killer here. Hannibal is responsible for the bloodbath. And however flawed the plan, I don't agree that killing Hannibal in cold blood is something Will should be doing.

I agree.  The amount of sanctioned vigilantism that Crawford condones from Will is too much as it is.  It's not Will's place to be judge, jury, and executioner.  And, if you believe that Hannibal's criminally insane (which I assume he gets adjudicated as being, given he ends up in Chez Chilton), then if you believe in law and order and justice, Hannibal is incapable of forming criminal intent, and thus our system advocates treatment, not punishment.  That's what bugged me most about the Randall Tier episode -- a mentally ill man was essentially sacrificed by the FBI to bait his psychiatrist.  Will beat him to death -- he could have stopped at just incapacitating him.  The ends don't justify those means. 

Edited by annlaw78
  • Love 3

I know you guys are have a really serious conversation about who to blame:

I too don't blame anybody for Hannibal's actions, he is Hannibal after all.

But I BLAME ALANA!! Just because I was disappointed in her all season. Even in the end she (understandably) couldn't quite pull it together.

I blame Freddie because she is obnoxious and honest-to-god I hoped that Will really did kill her, turn her into long pig, and give a fillet of her to Hannibal, his new murder husband, as a love offering.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I won't say that this is all Will's fault--it being actions of a mad man and all--but I bet that Will's sitting in that kitchen thinking that if he had only had the guts to pull the trigger when he had the chance, a lot more people would be alive. So, even though I don't blame Will, I imagine he blames himself.

It's why I wonder what really motivates Hannibal's emotions. She was such an afterthought during that whole ordeal. Did he ever really care for her, or was she just some object to entice Will into his life? Once their friendship went south, she became expendable. And he forced her to relive the trauma of being attacked by her father. Which wasn't meant to torment her, but Will.

I think, in his own way, Hannibal did care about her--as much as any psychopath can care about someone, anyway--but in the end, lashing out at Will was more important.

ETA: I think this was entrapment in the same way it's entrapment to approach a prostitute and proposition her with the intent of busting her rather than letting her proposition you. So, yes nobody can force anyone to kill someone, but they were engaging Hannibal and asking him to do something with the express idea they would catch him at it and bust him. If they had instead just waited patiently until Hannibal revealed himself, it wouldn't be entrapment, just following a lead. But then most likely someone would have had to be dead to get that reveal...either way people die.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

Hannibal killing Abigail = Will shooting the stag.  They were each signaling an end of their relationship with each other.  

Abigail meant something to Hannibal because she was tied to Will.  When he realized Will wasn't going to choose him, he killed Abigail to purge himself of Will.  Like burning photographs and letters of an ex.

• Love 3

Hannibal killing Abigail = Will shooting the stag. They were each signaling an end of their relationship with each other.

Abigail meant something to Hannibal because she was tied to Will. When he realized Will wasn't going to choose him, he killed Abigail to purge himself of Will. Like burning photographs and letters of an ex.

Talk about a messy break up ...
  • Love 3

As far as entrapment goes, Will suggesting the Hannibal kill Jack was not a single, isolated request.  It was repetitive, and pleading, especially at the dinner scene, when Hannibal was offering Will a way to leave without killing Jack.  It was Will who insisted that he needed this from Hannibal.  Part of the problem with the plan to trap Hannibal was just how lost in the role Will became.  Randall is evidence of that, especially since Jack did not sanction it.  Jack seems to have been in the dark on a lot of what Will was doing, including just about everything involving the Vergers.  Will may not have shared because it was too personal, or he may not have shared because it would have allowed Jack to realize how out of sync with normal behavior he was becoming.

I do think Hannibal cared for Abigail, but he kept her alive for Will.  She was always a tool for manipulating Will, even in the first season.  And here, she was Will's reward from following Hannibal and embracing their friendship.  If he trusted Hannibal's power abslutely, then the teacup would have unshattered.

So, even though I don't blame Will, I imagine he blames himself.

This I agree with.  It would not surprise me if Season 3 opened with Will's breakdown.  He has just been through too much.

• Love 5

I think that, ultimately, Will was lucky Hannibal literally cut him free in that kitchen. Also lucky that Hannibal's capability for loving is much more limited than Will's.

Hannibal did everything humanly possible to force Will into a mold of Hannibal's making, to embrace his murderous potential and therefore what Hannibal deemed t be equality. When it came down to it, Hannibal wasn't able to fathom that Will could be an inherently good man (as well as a deeply damaged one) and *still* love Hannibal. Despite his original 'murder' of Abigail, despite his seduction of Alana, despite the damage to Margot and general force for destruction of everyone he touched. Will couldn't reconcile loving Hannibal with his desire for justice, and seemed to be resigned to not surviving Hannibal. 

Hannibal, in many respects, won. Will's actions in the finale came from a place of love. Ultimately, he was unable to kill Hannibal. He was unable, even, to take Hannibal's liberty, choosing to warn him instead. If Hannibal had had a scrap of the almost supernatural perception he had demonstrated so many times before, he would have realised that this was the perfect storm of fate and circumstance: Will, not lifting a finger to save himself, had effectively surrendered. He loved Hannibal despite retaining his sense of self, which was a richer and deeper emotion than Hannibal was able to recognise. Hannibal had Abigail, alive, the greatest possible leverage to furthering and deepening his relationship with Will. If he'd stabbed Will a hypodermic in that kitchen, instead of gutting him, Hannibal would have won.

So, as a Will girl, thank god Hannibal didn't have the same capacity for loving Will that Will had for loving Hannibal. He should have taken Will from that life, away from the 'competition' of Jack/justice, not taken the life from Will. He lost when he literally cut Will free of him.

• Love 5

I don't think Will called Hannibal to warn him, so that Hannibal could escape possible arrest. I think he called him hoping that Hannibal would run before Jack arrived, trying to protect Jack. Will's love was for Jack, not Hannibal, IMHO.

• Love 1

I don't think Will called Hannibal to warn him, so that Hannibal could escape possible arrest. I think he called him hoping that Hannibal would run before Jack arrived, trying to protect Jack. Will's love was for Jack, not Hannibal, IMHO.

I'm not suggesting that Will doesn't care for Jack, but if it were the case that he was motivated primarily by love for Jack and protecting Jack, he wouldn't have lowered his weapon or allowed Hannibal to gut him without lifting a finger.

• Love 3
(edited)

Here's a post-mortem with Bryan Fuller.  At 9:04 he says Will was trying to help both Jack and Hannibal - he wanted to save Jack's life and, in that moment, genuinely wanted Hannibal to get away.  Fuller says Will is not necessarily a binary thinker.  (Also he confirms that Hannibal took Will's jacket off of Alana.)

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 7

So it sounds to me like Chilton isn't dead...?

This episode. THIS FREAKING EPISODE. I was gutted right along with Will by the end. It was so brutal, so visceral, and I couldn't look away. The Bedelia reveal at the end really surprised me, and has me still wondering if she was in on everything all along, or had somehow been lured back by Hannibal after truly wanting to get out.

I also deeply enjoyed watching Will struggle between Hannibal and Jack. He loves them both, feels the pull from both, knows what's right, but knows what his changing nature wants him to do. Ultimately it might have gotten everyone he loves killed OTHER than Hannibal.

I like what Hugh had to say about Will's motivations;

I think one possibility is Will wants revenge: We've seen fantasies where he kills Hannibal. One possibility is Will wants to just trap Hannibal in a traditional law-enforcement fashion and catch him red-handed. And one possibility is that he in fact has gone too far over to the other side and is seriously considering giving up [Laurence Fishburne's] Jack Crawford and taking off with Hannibal. But what I think is that maybe all of those things can be true at once.

Hannibal, in many respects, won. Will's actions in the finale came from a place of love. Ultimately, he was unable to kill Hannibal. He was unable, even, to take Hannibal's liberty, choosing to warn him instead.

I agree. I kept thinking this throughout the final scene. Hannibal had Will, but he was too enraged and too consumed with rejection see the checkmate move. Will leaving with Hannibal and Abigail would have solved so much and saved everyone, I don't think Hannibal would even need to drug him. Just do what he does best and persuade.

As with the whole plan to trap Hannibal, which included Randall's design. In order to surrender to his darker side, Will needs to believe he's doing good. If joining Hannibal meant watching over Abigail, and saving Jack and Alana, he'd leave. Plus with the police now after him, there's a bit of self-preservation to motivate him.

When it came down to it, Hannibal wasn't able to fathom that Will could be an inherently good man (as well as a deeply damaged one) and *still* love Hannibal.

That's a good point.

I wonder what will happen in S3 when Hannibal realises that he had Will.

• Love 3

So...Hugh Dancy was nominated for best actor in a drama, critics choice awards...

http://www.criticschoice.com/television-awards/

All due respect to Dancy, who I love and think is great...but how is Mads not nominated, not even as supporting actor (tho that would be inaccurate)? He is fucking brilliant.

This show. It haunts me. I'm telling EVERYone about it, because they are really missing out on one of the finest programs on televsion anywhere. I never rewatch episodes of anything but I watched the finale twice. It's so incredibly epic and Shakespearean and tragic, and for whatever reasons, I cried thru the whole thing. Twice. It's so beautiful and brutal. It's art. Why aren't more people watching it??

• Love 1

Awards nominations, never mind wins, are somewhat arbitrary. Critics have to be buzzing about your show, the voters have to be at least aware of your show if not actively engaged with it, and you as a performer or creator have to put yourself out there for consideration. I think that Hugh Dancy is completely fucking amazing as Will Graham. Mads is equally brilliant at his craft, and he gets to play the iconic serial killer. But Hugh just rends my heart on a weekly basis. I would nominate both of them as lead actors - the show carefully balances that, some weeks Hugh's name comes first, some weeks Mads' name comes first in the credits.

Hugh, bless his heart, works as hard for Hannibal off-screen as he does on-screen. He's made himself accessible through SAG Foundation and BAFTA talks and the like, and impresses the hell out of everyone by being so open, honest, intelligent and just really lovely. In that recent BAFTA talk, the Hollywood Reporter journo Scott Feinberg was hearting Hugh so hard, and, in his blog post introducing the talk, said:

"Conversations with actors who are as open, honest and generous with their time are increasingly rare. Dancy has the gratitude of everyone at BAFTA New York and THR, plus his passionate and growing fan base, for making this conversation such a memorable one."

Hugh doesn't just give interviews, he gives *great* interviews, be they charming and witty chat show appearances or thoughtful, in-depth critical conversations. I'm not saying it's ultimately going to help him win, because Hannibal is a curious beast and I think being on NBC instead of, say, HBO really works against it in the industry consciousness. And among the wider populace too. No one quite knows how to pigeon-hole it. But Hugh being both accessible and impressive helps him in the nomination process, helps him stand out from the herd.

Mads, by contrast, doesn't do many interviews. His accent has been openly mocked (and defended by Hugh) by at least one chat show host. (Stay classy, Chelsea Handler). And this in an industry where how good your awards acceptance speech at the Golden Globes or SAG Awards is can affect your chances of winning Oscar. THR did an article on that.

You just can't separate out the performance from the politics.

I'm so happy for Hugh :)

• Love 2
how is Mads not nominated, not even as supporting actor (tho that would be inaccurate)? He is fucking brilliant.

Baffles me too. In a perfect world he would at least get a nom, but alas..

• Love 3

i LOVE Hugh too. I don't begrudge his nomination at all, I agree that both Mads and he deserve best actor nominations. I've long given up on the Emmys recognizing true art much of the time. One of my other absolute faves is often not nominated (tho he is this year): Walton Goggins. How he's not nominated for just showing up is beyond me. That's how I feel about Mads.

I also can't comprehend a female finding anything to mock about him.  Chelsea Handler must have lousy taste in men .

• Love 5

I think Anthony Hopkins would applaud Mads if he saw his portrayal of Hannibal. After he binge watched "Breaking Bad," he sent Bryan Cranston a fan letter (maybe an email). I thought that was cool.

• Love 2
(edited)

I love that Hugh was nominated.  Ideally I'd want to see both get a nod but since Hugh has been underrated for so long I'm pleased he's getting some attention.

Hugh doesn't just give interviews, he gives *great* interviews

He and Bryan Fuller are an absolute joy to read and listen to.  Mads also does great interviews; I don't think there's anything wrong with his accent, it's quite lovely, actually.  Chelsea Handler can go choke on a chainsaw.

Edited by Lisin
  • Love 5

I love listening to/reading Bryan Fuller's interviews. He sounds like such an interesting guy!

GreyBunny, in that YouTube interview you posted upthread, I love WATCHING him. He's all folded up into that seemingly tiny chair with his huge floppy hands...

• Love 1
(edited)

Fuller is so freakishly in tune with what makes people tick and what works and what doesn't psychologically and emotionally.  Whenever he talks about what's right and what's wrong about a particular film or show I just about jump out of my chair going, "YES, that's it!  That's exactly it!"  I've decided he's my TV spirit animal.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of episodes from other shows that have reeled me in the way Mizumono has.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 3
(edited)

Mads also does great interviews; I don't think there's anything wrong with his accent, it's quite lovely, actually.  Chelsea Handler can go choke on a chainsaw.

How this Chelsea person can mock someone's accent is beyond me.

I agree, Mads does great interviews too, he always sound honest and sharp with his answers, but yes, he seldom do interviews and public appearances. He seems to prefer to stay with his family in Denmark when he got the time.

Edited by niven
  • Love 2

I love that Hugh was nominated.  Ideally I'd want to see both get a nod but since Hugh has been underrated for so long I'm pleased he's getting some attention.  He and Bryan Fuller are an absolute joy to read and listen to.  Mads also does great interviews; I don't think there's anything wrong with his accent, it's quite lovely, actually.  Chelsea Handler can go choke on a chainsaw.

She can go *bleep* a chainsaw.

• Love 1

Didn't  her show just get cancelled? Hummmmm.....  I'm not a fan of comedians for the most part. I see a very fine line between them and bully's sometimes.

ANYWAY, I need this show back right now. I don't have a fear about Will or even Jack. I want to know how they are going to do things with Hannibal in another country and if the lovely Bedelia gets to eat dinner with Hannibal or be dinner with Hannibal. (Hopefully not both, that just squicked me out). I loved the finale and have watched it twice more since it aired.

• Love 2

(Also he confirms that Hannibal took Will's jacket off of Alana.)

That's cold and yet ...oddly romantic, like he wanted a piece of Will to take with him (besides, you know, all of Will's blood on his shoes).  Although I can't imagine Will's jacket would fit Hannibal.  He's so much taller and broader.  

I think what Dancy has is gratitude and possibly a British actor's perspective on acting and celebrity.  I think he's old enough to know that good roles don't come along very often and no matter how hot you might be, there are going to be lulls in a long career.  Plus I think he had the advantage of never being REALLY hot, like a Robert Pattison.  

• Love 2

Oh my goodness, I love that interview!  He is a delight.  And so open.  And bless him, he has plan!  He isn't winging it.  Love that.  

I also love that he cheerfully flat out lies about who is dead and alive in other interviews.  Heh.  And yeah to

Chilton probably being alive

.  Thank you Grey Bunny for posting.

• Love 1
(edited)

jeansheridan, you're welcome!  :)

That's cold and yet ...oddly romantic, like he wanted a piece of Will to take with him (besides, you know, all of Will's blood on his shoes).  Although I can't imagine Will's jacket would fit Hannibal.  He's so much taller and broader.  

I think what Dancy has is gratitude and possibly a British actor's perspective on acting and celebrity.  I think he's old enough to know that good roles don't come along very often and no matter how hot you might be, there are going to be lulls in a long career.  Plus I think he had the advantage of never being REALLY hot, like a Robert Pattison.  

I'm not sure if it's romantic in that he wanted to take a piece of Will with him or another spiteful move since Will meant to have that coat comfort Alana, and a betrayed Hannibal didn't want Will to have even that small gesture.  Perhaps both.  Also, Patroclus wore Achilles’s armor on the battlefield...hmmm...

There's a recent half-hour interview with Dancy floating around [ETA: I posted it in the media thread].  In it he says as an actor you can't really plan for a career (you may or may not get steady work); he's open to good material when it comes to him in whatever form it takes, and he's happy and grateful to get it.  

Edited by GreyBunny

In the 13th episode made me to believe and i hope for most of us to clear, the camera man(and the background crew) did most of the job in this series. The actors show how "those" people limited by own boundaries. Boundaries with most of us don’t bother, care or even mention because we don’t play attention. It`s apply on days, nights and dreams. 
Just simply cant step over it how to compensate some variations and manipulation to people. This is the boundary of the mind. Limited by mind of the person. 
Manipulation(in this TV series) is the key thing but is far away what a human brain can do. Designed for more Complexity , some people can understand it, some of them live by its limit, some others break this and create some things what others can`t do. Humans call them genius or insane(others use the term of the stupid)
The nature and the brain limits how it is accomplished and exceeded. In this series the visual effect designer made most of them out with the actors(with they limited compatibilities). 

Viewers wish to follow the directions of the tale. See what cannot be seen. Understand what is way beyond to it. Figure out something what is not there.  It is up to you what you can see and what you want to see. The difference is, how to understand it.

snookums, thank you for the explication of Bedelia's possible motivations/decisions.  That works for me.

I have only seen SotL and Red Dragon (and Manhunter, before either of them) and I haven't read the books --- but Mads has absolutely obliterated Anthony Hopkins from my idea of Hannibal and I didn't think that was possible.  And despite the previous great actors who played Will, I'm all in with Hugh Dancy's portrayal.  All Hail Fuller!

Funny enough, I still prefer AH and as I watched Mads, I thought, "As much as I enjoy this version, he doesn't have Anthony's charm." That's what sold Hannibal for me.

Edited by Nanrad
(edited)

Ref to comments way up thread:  For me, Hannibal Lecter will always be Brian Cox.  Always and forever.

Now, on to my comment about this last episode.  Here in DC we had a snowy owl who hung out on 15th St. NW.  One day she was hit by a city bus and then, rapidly, by a private SUV.  The city rallied around her and went to great lengths to heal her.  She was raced to the National Zoo for medical treatment, she stayed at our pre-eminent veterinary hospital, then she went to CityWildlife (donate now!) and, finally, when she was rehabilitated and ready to go back into the wild, she was moved to Minnesota for release.  Within two weeks, she was hit and killed by a semi on a major highway on the Canadian border.

Abigail reminds me of her.

Edited by Captanne