Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Mizumono

Ref to comments way up thread:  For me, Hannibal Lecter will always be Brian Cox.  Always and forever.

Now, on to my comment about this last episode.  Here in DC we had a snowy owl who hung out on 15th St. NW.  One day she was hit by a city bus and then, rapidly, by a private SUV.  The city rallied around her and went to great lengths to heal her.  She was raced to the National Zoo for medical treatment, she stayed at our pre-eminent veterinary hospital, then she went to CityWildlife (donate now!) and, finally, when she was rehabilitated and ready to go back into the wild, she was moved to Minnesota for release.  Within two weeks, she was hit and killed by a semi on a major highway on the Canadian border.

Abigail reminds me of her.

That is just a horribly sad story.

There is an owl sanctuary near us as well (The Owl Foundation) and those snowys are gorgeous creatures.

I see the Abigail parallel for sure.

(edited)

Yeah.  For Abigail and the un-named snow owl of DC -- if there is a fate waiting for you no matter how events deviate from that path, you will get there eventually.

Owl:  Bus, SUV, and semi.

Abigail:  Serial Killer, father figure, and knife to the throat.

Edited by Captanne

Brian Cox feels too working class to be my Hannibal. Too blunt and crude. He is a bulldog of a man. Hopkins classed him up. Mads made him elegant and oddly needy. A man on a quest. Mads has the advantage of 26 hours to create this impression. Hopkins had mere minutes to define this person. So both men are great. Different format.

(edited)

I agree that Brian Cox is blunt and crude -- that's what I liked about his Hannibal.  Way overeducated, smart, slimy and slightly charismatic but not overly so.

Like fruit that appears capable of sweetness but, when you bite into it, is rotten.

For me, Hannibal is first and foremost a depraved serial killer.  They tend to have something seriously wrong with them.  On the outside they are charming and vaguely appealing but once you see what's inside they are just ordinary, run-of-the-mill monsters.

As charismatic as Ted Bundy (serial killer) or Robert Fratta (murderer) may be -- they are foul and, ultimately, mundane.  They are, after all, severely damaged people. 

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

I was in college queen Silence of the Lambs came out and we had many discussions in class as to why the public loved Hannibal so much. The movie gives him a happy and even romantic ending. His blatant self satisfaction and ability to live and be exactly the way he wants seemed to hit a positive nerve in 1992. And the humor. And of course he is helping Clarice. Contained evil at the service of someone good if she can just persuade him.

Our current Hannibal feels less grand in my opinion. The show feels well balanced between Will and Hannnibal now. Both men are damaged but now that Will is healthy, he has the advantage of being mostly sane.

I try not to romanticize Hannibal too much. I like that last week's final murder was crude and blunt. He kills efficiently and then carves like an artist. But there is a lot of dark humor. It is hard to hate a character who can make you laugh.

I hope to see Will ascending even more this season.

• Love 1

jeansheridan

The show feels well balanced between Will and Hannnibal now. Both men are damaged but now that Will is healthy, he has the advantage of being mostly sane.

Beautiful.