Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Mizumono

THE TRAP FOR HANNIBAL HAS BEEN SET, BUT WHOSE SIDE IS WILL REALLY ON? Hannibal prepares for his imminent departure with, he believes, Will. Will prepares for a departure of another sort, tying up loose ends, not sure if he’ll survive the trap he’s set for Hannibal. Both men feel that Jack deserves the truth, but what is that truth? Loyalties will be tested and forgiveness will be asked... and the inevitable battle between Hannibal and Jack is upon them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBpmZfggrYY

Omg, Alana was there during the fight, with the gun!? My theory might be true. What if Will attacks Alana to save Hannibal!?

I also thought they might set things up so that in S3, Will and Hannibal are on the run, being hunted by Jack. Alana may be dead, or injured. I really hope nothing too bad happens to her. I love her character. And Jack too. Omg, there's such an ominous cloud hanging over this last episode. It feels like another important death is about to happen.

I've seen some speculation, based on gifs from finale promo(s), that Alana walks in at the tail end of Jack and Hannibal's fight, weapon drawn. Hannibal advances on her. And that she's thrown through a window.

(edited)

Damn, now I am truly scared. Very scared that it might be Bedelia who will die in the season finale. David A Slade tweeted this picture.

BoDoB5nIYAAwgq0.jpg

But damn, she looks so lovely here.

But I will be very happy if it's Alana who bites the dust.

I will be in Europe for two weeks and will not be able to watch it. Ugh.

Edited by IndependentMind

In the book, Hannibal guts Will - quite literally. I'm wondering if the show will go there too in this episode, or if the violence done to Jack and, we speculate, Alana, will be a proxy for that scene. Much as Miriam Lass was attributed Will's lightbulb moment that Hannibal was the Chesapeake Ripper from seeing the sketch of wound man. And we've already had Dr Chilton gutted by Dr Gideon. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought of all the maybe-deceased on this show, Abigail was genuinely dead.  Trust Hannibal to gut Will physically and emotionally for his betrayal.

Edited by MisterGlass

I thought that was awesome.

I loved the cameo by Gillian Anderson and I hope she gets to appear in season 3.

I loved the beginning of the episode and the end of it.  The middle dragged at parts but the front and back ends more then made up for it.   

The final conversation between Will and Hannibal when Hannibal finally let his mask fall and WIll saw the full extent of him was chilling.  I loved it.

Poor blind Alana.  Finally you see and you are brave and you die.

Abigail!   

I am so glad this show got renewed.  It is way to good to be overlooked the way it is.

I didn't care for them keeping Abilgail alive to spring on us....just to kill her off again 5 minutes later.

I'm not really sure what to say about this finale, how is it to continue?  Hannibal left the entire cast at death's door, with what look to be fairly fatal injuries.  Sure they can probably time jump 6 months and just say they survived, but it won't resonate well with me.

Also, the FBI and/or police in Baltimore are the slowest-responding in the world.

• Love 2

I didn't care for them keeping Abilgail alive to spring on us....just to kill her off again 5 minutes later.

I'm not really sure what to say about this finale, how is it to continue?  Hannibal left the entire cast at death's door, with what look to be fairly fatal injuries.  Sure they can probably time jump 6 months and just say they survived, but it won't resonate well with me.

Who would have guessed that Bella might outlive Jack, Alana, and Will?

I don't think they'll all die, but I expect at least one to.

• Love 1

I'm so glad this was renewed.  I thought Hannibal's victory was terrible in the first finale, but this was worse.

I did not expect Abigail to be alive, but I can believe Hannibal would keep her alive as a gift to Will, or as a punishment, as it turned out.  It is going to be challenging, not knowing who lives and who dies.  I assume this time that Abigail will not be the tea cup that is reassembled, and I do not have hopes for Alana.  I wished she would have more time to be a person surviving after Hannibal.

Hannibal embraced what he is and it was devastating.  Even Bella is a victim again, through her husband.  The fight with Jack, with added context, was still intense, and watching Hannibal throw himself at the pantry door wildly was frightening.  When Alana demanded to know where Jack was, Hannibal's harsh, semi-whispered reply "he's in the pantry" was scarier still.  You could see him shift gears from animalistic to moderately controlled monster, leveling with her on her options.  He was right, he worked hard to keep her blind.  And then he walked past her lying bloody on the ground, welcoming the rain.

Oh, Dr. DuMaurier.  This will not end well.

The final conversation between Will and Hannibal when Hannibal finally let his mask fall and WIll saw the full extent of him was chilling.  I loved it.

Yes.  The call back to Garrett Jacob Hobbs was apt, both in Will's mind and in reality.  "See".

I would have liked one more episode between the end of the Verger storyline and this one.  A few moments to reintroduce Kade Purnell, perhaps, and to give Bella more time.  I like the quiet good byes that Will said to those around him, since he was so uncertian of his fate.  And the 'last supper', where Hannibal gave him a chance to relinquish his quest. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Gah.  I always DVR this show and start watching late enough that I can skip the commercials.  This means that I am somehow typing this while my brain is scattered in exploded pieces all over the floor.  I'll pick them up and see what coherent thoughts I can find...

• The score for this show is f**king brilliant.  I might watch this episode again just to pick it apart.  The moment at the dinner table, when Will pushed a bit too hard for keeping to the plan and "killing" Jack?  There was some distinct dissonant timbre sh*t going on that raised my blood pressure, perfectly paralleling a viewer's thoughts ("No, he already suspects! Back off!).  Fantastic.  And yes, the percussive ticks and tocks.  Evil.
  • Some folks on Twitter were calling bullshit on Hannibal smelling Freddie, but I can go there -- and did -- and it was chilling.  Horrible moment.
  • Hugh Dancy did a beautiful thing from the moment Will saw Hannibal. We haven't seen pure Will in so long, but he was there from that moment until the end.  Uncorrupted.  Which, of course, made it all worse.
  • Mads.  I mean, like I'm really going to try to use words and punctuation to talk about that performance?  Please.
  • Alanna. Now that I'm ready to forgive her, she might be dead.  But what a glorious, beautiful scene.  All hail the cinematographer and visual effects crew. Bravo!
  • "I might not call on you."  Is that just a callback to SotL, or to the books?
  • Gina Torres, ladies and gentlemen. 
  • So I guess Gillian did more than just the interrogation scene when she flew in for that quick filming day.  Nice misdirect in the AV Club interview, Bryan!

Ok, I need to get a dustpan and some superglue.  Maybe more later.

Edited by mrsdalgliesh
  • Love 7
(edited)

I'm stunned. I know some of you may have been disappointed with the finale, but i think the last 20 minutes or however long the bloodbath went on was probably the most intense and nerve wracking of anything I've witnessed on TV (and am surprised that they got away with it on a major network).

It will be a grueling six months or so to wait to see who survived. I really want Will, if no one else, to live. He and Hannibal's relationship make the show rise above others.

On that subject, was Will's call to Hannibal really meant to be a warning to leave or was it to get Hannibal even more fired up?

Either way, if Will lives, there'd be no doubt on his hatred and desire to hunt down Hannibal now. Not for the attempt on his life, but more so for torturing him with sliting the throat of Abigal right in front of him.

Edited by awp69
  • Love 1
(edited)

Alana did manage to call 911 and whoever the the 911 operator sends is going to walk into a bloodbath.  

Cynthia Nixon's character (I forget the character's name)  is seriously going to be eating her words when she finds out what happened during the last supper.   She really should have listened to poor blind Alana.  For once she was right.   I actually enjoyed that conversation.  

My guess (and this is just a guess); between the cops chasing both Will and Jack and the the 911 call made by Alana,  it's not  long after Hannibal leaves that the police show up at Hannibal's home of blood and horror which means at least Will and Jack survive.  Alana and Abigail's fates are up for grabs.  

Serious water imagery.  Best was when Hannibal walked out of his ouse into the rain.  I guess the rain washed away his sins (and the blood).  

Edited by ChaosTheory

Wow, I guess Bryan Fuller doesn't believe in playing it safe.  This show is mainly on the bubble ratings-wise, but he gives no shits about having Hannibal pretty much take out the ENTIRE main cast, and leave everyone on death's door.  Go big or go home, I guess.

But if I had to make a prediction, I'm guessing Will will pull through, Abigail is a goner, and Jack and Alana can go either way.  With Jack, I have to think it will depend on the availability of Laurence Fishburne's new show on ABC.  At least we get to find out!

Oh, and all this time, Belinda was actually an ally to Hannibal?!  Dammit, I actually didn't not see that coming!

Honestly, I have to keep this short.  I'm still processing those last twenty minutes.  No show on TV can throw me for a loop like this one can.  Well done, Bryan, Mads, Hugh, and the rest.

Also, the FBI and/or police in Baltimore are the slowest-responding in the world.

Damn straight! I kept thinking "where the bleep are the police and ambulances!?"

Man, that epi still has me reeling. I figured Abigail was still alive but was surprised to see her there. Wow, they used a shit load of fake blood on this episode! Even the poor elk was there bleeding out. WTF with Dr. du M! What is her game.? I thought she was afraid of Hannibal.

• Love 2

We know Will will survive, but I imagine Abigail really will die this time. Jack and Alana are part of Red Dragon, and Jack is also integral to Silence of the Lambs, but that doesn't guarantee their survival in the Fuller-verse.

I knew the gutting was coming, and was braced for it, and now I find myself quite glad that in S3 we'll get a more proactive Will, clear-minded, hunting Hannibal. I would really like to see the show celebrate his true abilities.

Funny, just remembered one of Fuller's interviews after the S3 renewal. He said something like that he was glad because S2 ended "midflight". Guess he also meant that literally.

• Love 1

Mad(s)ness. Total chaos. Brilliance from start to finish - I'm glad the Mason story was wrapped up and we were just left with our primary characters. Tense scene building until about halfway through and then just...chaos. I feel like the writers were rooting for Hannibal this whole season, and were just toying with us, until it came time to fuck us wholesale. Talk about pulling no punches. If I have to guess, I'm going to say Will is horribly wounded, Abigail and Jack are dead, and Alana is crippled for the foreseeable future. And that last scene, wow, talk about no one seeing it coming. Mads deserves every. single. award. 

So glad the show was renewed. 

• Love 1

I find myself quite glad that in S3 we'll get a more proactive Will, clear-minded, hunting Hannibal. I would really like to see the show celebrate his true abilities.

I would like to see this, too.  (They may be able to return to a MOTW format for some episodes, though I do hope they travel; Baltimore and DC are saturated with weird killers, it seems, but they should give some other areas a chance.)

• Love 1

That was an oddly heartbreaking episode.  Mads was playing it as though Hannibal truly wanted to go away with Will and Abigail.  The sociopath was hurt.  He did reveal himself to Will.  He even told her about Mischa.  He wanted his murder family.

Or did he?  Am I crazy and it was going to be Bedelia all along?  She did tell Will and Jack that Hannibal was in control.  The fuck, Bedelia?  Maybe she was Hannibal's backup plan in case things went down--the way they went down.  Could Dr. DuMaurier be Mischa?  Is that possible?  I feel like all bets are off on this show with regard to book canon, and I love it.

The only thing I can't get past is that Hannibal's killing Abigail seemed rather...rude.  It wasn't her fault that Will was trying to trap Hannibal.  That was a pure punishment kill.  Will's head is going to be so ultra-doublefucked from this.  

If he lives.  

I expect (and wouldn't mind) Jack to be dead based on Bella's conversation with Hannibal at the beginning of the ep.  Alana I'm not sure about either, but she could pull through.

Bravo, Mr. Fuller.  You have the best show on television, cable or network.  Simply brilliant.

I still can't fully process everything I just saw.  Amazing.

• Love 3

From what Bryan Fuller has been telling AV Club and TV Guide, we're going to be spending rather more time with Hannibal on the lam than with the FBI people in the first half of S3. That makes my Will-worshipping heart restive. 

I love being surprised.  Abigail did surprise me.  A lot.   And that gutting.  Oh my.  Holding in his own guts.  I want the two women dead and Jack alive.  

Most of all that will be their last embrace.  Will & Hannibal will never be so close again.

Great humor from Mads.  "Jack is in the pantry".  And his scary patience with Alana.  I like how sweaty and beaten he looked.  How annoyed.  Mads has everything.  The brains & physicality.  

• Love 2

That was quite a hoyay'y bloodbath!

I thought it was possible Abigail was alive, since Hannibal never flat out said she was dead, only that he took her from Will. Sucks to have her come back just to likely die again.

I have no doubt that Jack and Will pull through, not so sure about Alana or Abigail.

Was Abigail previously cut on the neck and had a scar, or did the makeup crew do a really bad job of covering up her blood pumpy thing before the cutting happened?

I'm spent.

I don't understand why Will called Hannibal.

The creepiest moment for me was when Hannibal smelled Freddie on Will.  After that, the suspense was exhausting as I was waiting for the fight to happen.  I never expected that Jack and Hannibal's battle would be the warm-up event for a horror show.

Whatever else you say about Bedelia, the woman is a survivor.

Heyerchick...Will needs some time to recover.  I agree that killing Abigail was excessive but at this point why the hell not?  Plus I dislike the actress.  Jack must live!  I assume Will does.  What is the point otherwise?  They can't bring in Clarice.  Unless they really go off cannon and create a new investigator.  Is Idris Elba free?  

Yes during the closing credits!  Fuller pulled a fast one.  Or made a Marvel move.  Maybe Hannibal shows up on The Fall.

• Love 1

So Will was keeping Freddie Lounds in his back pocket, she was ready for her 'resurrection', yet the surprise got ruined.

But Hannibal had Abigal in his back pocket for even longer, and spring that surprise from out of nowhere and it killed everyone.

Sweet. Hee.

• Love 2
Was Abigail previously cut on the neck and had a scar, or did the makeup crew do a really bad job of covering up her blood pumpy thing before the cutting happened?

She got the scar from when her dad cut her and Will saved her life. Making it doubly sucky for Will that she (presumably) dies from the same type of attack.

• Love 1

Quotes from our sister site, slowly fading into that good night:

Remind me to never be bleeding to death in Baltimore. Those cops take for freaking ever.

Jesus, right? And frankly, you'd think the rest of Hannibal's rich/persnickety neighbors would be calling 911 too. The sounds of a truly titanic battle plus multiple gunshots plus a woman falling out a window in a rich area of town should even get what by all rights ought to be The Most Cynical Cops In The World to at least put the siren on. Good God.

Why wouldn't the FBI send troops to both Will's and Hannibal's homes simultaneously? Will had enough time to escape and take a cab all the way there and still nobody shows up at Hannibal's place! That kind of took me out of the rest of the episode.

I said out loud "He took a cab there?" From the middle of the woods in Wolf Trap, VA to downtown Baltimore???
Those were the loserest Feds ever.

I was hoping for Abigail, and I got her, but damn, what a horrible way to go.  She trusted you, Hannibal!  You killed her rudely!  It wasn't her fault that Will screwed you over!

That and how Hannibal was almost openly sneering at Bella's bedside as she gasped for every breath really underlines his monstrosity. There is no bottom to the depths to which he does not care. He reacted more to Mason stabbing his chair. The only thing that can touch him is something that affects him personally. He kept Bella alive so Jack would have something to live for--not leaving her alone--not because he gave even the tiniest damn about her pain or suffering. He kept Abigail alive to throw Alana and Will, not because he cared for her, no matter what poses he struck about it. He cared that Will cared for Abigail so he kept her around as a means to hurt him.

As for Bedelia:

Here's what I think happened. Bedeila did indeed figure out not only that Hannibal is A Killer but the Chesapeake Ripper and rightly concludes that he's going to tie up a loose end named Dr. Du Marier. She tells Will she believes him, tells Hannibal hey, this is it and no it's not a referral it's a PISS RIGHT OFF and takes off. She would have been content to stay gone, but when Jack and the FBI found her she rightly realized that Hannibal probably already knew where she was and was just busy at the moment. After all, he's working with the feds, what they know, he knows. She warns Jack and Will about how you can't get ahead of Hannibal Lecter, but she's a survivor.

And a survivor hedges her bets. She probably was waiting until the very last minute to see who would triumph, sitting in the first class lounge of the airport with a perfectly chilled glass of wine. If Hannibal walks in, she knows he won and leaves with him willingly, knowing that his real weakness is that he needs somebody to talk to. If he doesn't, she's got her official pardon, she gets on the plane by herself and heads off to Europe, maybe calling in, or sending a very, very tasteful set of get well cards to the various hospitals the cast is going to spend half of next season in.

"I might not call on you."  Is that just a callback to SotL,

Plus the sacrificial lamb!

• Love 6
(edited)

He was doing Hannibal the same favor Hannibal did to Garret Hobbs?

I don't know.  I assumed something of the sort, partly because of the open.  And because some part of Will loves Hannibal, and vice versa, even though it's absolutely twisted and broken and deranged.  This episode felt like the most painful breakup to me.  

With more disemboweling.

Heh, Snookums, your quote number three is me over at TWoP.  I still can't get over how rude that was of Hannibal.

Edited by haydensterling
  • Love 5

I thought we were shown Jack's definitive last breath, so I would be shocked if he survives into next season.  Not to mention all the blood loss.  Same with Will...you can't lose as much blood as he did and make it, so if he does that will be stretching my imagination a bit too far, but at the same time I would be thrilled because I love Will and am devastated at the thought of him being gone permanently.  The only one I could see as a survivor is Alana, although really, she shouldn't pull through either.  And for someone as thorough, organized and unwilling to let a single detail go unnoticed, it's hard for me to believe Hannibal walked away with even a possibility that any of them could survive.  Unless he wants them to come after him, of course.  Which he might.  Sigh.  This show, man.

• Love 1

Damn that was true and true bloodbath finale! Hell hath no fury like a cannibal scorned! Great performances from everyone, especially Mads, it's his episode, I'm speechless.

And for someone as thorough, organized and unwilling to let a single detail go unnoticed, it's hard for me to believe Hannibal walked away with even a possibility that any of them could survive.  Unless he wants them to come after him, of course.  Which he might.

Yes, he was just so heartbroken by betrayal and slashes everyone. I doubt he cares much about their survival.

He was doing Hannibal the same favor Hannibal did to Garret Hobbs?

I don't know.  I assumed something of the sort, partly because of the open.  And because some part of Will loves Hannibal, and vice versa, even though it's absolutely twisted and broken and deranged.  This episode felt like the most painful breakup to me.  

With more disemboweling.

Heh, Snookums, your quote number three is me over at TWoP.  I still can't get over how rude that was of Hannibal.

I think Will called Hannibal hoping he would just run. Will didn't want Jack to show up alone, without his gun or planned backup, at Hannibal's and put himself in grave danger (exactly what did happen because Hannibal didn't run).

• Love 4

The first thing I thought while watching this episode was damn it, I love Hannibal's perfect script! It made me want to take a calligraphy class. His plaid suit was amazing. My main thought during the big fight scene was gawd, you guys, don't mess up that gorgeous kitchen!

What was with Cynthia Nixon's orange suit? That thing practically glowed in the dark.

I was so disappointed when Alanna ran upstairs. That's a classic mistake! You will never escape from upstairs! I was congratulating her on having more bullets but then she wasted them firing at the door. Damn it, Alanna! And why didn't she tell Will that Abigail was alive? Damn it AGAIN, Alanna!

When Will found Abigail, I was afraid she was just distracting him so that Hannibal could kill him. I was so relieved when Hannibal said he and Abigail couldn't leave without Will and then HOLY SHIT! Poor Abigail. She has seen so many terrible things in her young life. She survived all that (including being fake dead) and witnessed all those people being killed only to have Hannibal really kill her.

The shot of Alanna having the black silky blanket pulled off and then surrounded by rising black water was beautiful and creepy (which is actually the most succinct description of this show). Did Hannibal really mean it when he told Alanna to be blind and walk away? If she had just left, would he really have let her live? He seemed sincere in the moment, but he seemed sincere right before he gutted Will too so I don't know what to believe that comes out of Hannibal's mouth.

• Love 4

Why wouldn't the FBI send troops to both Will's and Hannibal's homes simultaneously?

Purnell said the FBI was sendin teams after Will and Jack, because they had evidence that the two of them participated in an entrapment scheme.  For Hannibal, they wanted a warrant to search his house, and putting the evidence for that together would take some time.

As far as police and emergency response time, that would depend on how far away the nearest officers and medical personnel were.  Given the inclement weather, which reduces maximum driving speed for everyone, I think ten minutes would not be out of the question, and that would encompass most of the carnage that we saw.

Of all the victims I think Will may have the best chance of survival.  Depending on the depth of the wound, and is no major organs were damaged, he could survive until paramedics arrive.  I know in Red Dragon the fact that Hannibal sliced Will in the abdomen was just part of the struggle, but given the Japanese influences on food and titles this season, does anyone else think that this particular punishment takes on another connotation?

I was hoping for Abigail, and I got her, but damn, what a horrible way to go.  She trusted you, Hannibal!  You killed her rudely!

I felt what he did to Miriam was rude, too.  But I wondered if the rules change once Hannibal spares your life.  He could have killed them both, but let them live instead, at least for a time.  Perhaps that meant their lives belonged to him, and he can do with them what he wants.  In Abigail's case, he moved the punctuation, much as he did with Bella.

• Love 4

Old expression.  There is a thin line between love and hate.  Hannibal asked Will.  Do you think you will change me.  Will responded.  I already have.  I think Hannibal loved Will which is why he felt so betrayed by will and I think Will loved Hannibal which is why he went to such extremes to catch him but still gave him a chance to run.

• Love 6