Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Beyond the Sunset

Once the tears came, they wouldn't stop...

I am a sap, but I did like the happy ending.  I especially liked that Deacon was not tied to Jessie (come on, just say what you're thinking without all of the hemming and hawing; she was exhausting) but was rather finally coming into his own personally and professionally.  Although unrealistic, I did like that Avery and Juliette got together.  And, I guess the only reason her church friend was in these last two episodes was so that she could tell Avery that Juliette was pregnant and immediately address the issue that it was his baby.

I agree with others-why did we have to hear purple hair, church friend, and the recording of the song that Daphne was to sing rather than the characters we have watched for several seasons?  I will rewatch this episode, but will definitely fast-forward all of the purple hair/ Brad scenes.  Super excited that they ended with Deacon singing and loved how all of the cast members joined in.

• Love 6
(edited)
15 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Was it from the cast's final appearance at the Ryman? Guessing they came back later to film Connie, Callie, and the crew?

Believe it or not, the cast never performed as a group as the Ryman.  In fact, their appearance at the Grand Ole Opry (different than the Ryman) this past March was the only time they ever appeared all together in Nashville.  So many locals, including myself, were not happy about that, since they traveled all around the world together but only played in Nashville once.  Oh well, at least I got to see that one show ... it was incredible if you're a "Nashie".  But that's how they ended their shows, then the stars all turned around with their backs to the audience and took selfies with the audience behind them.  Very cool.

Well, gang, this is it.  I truly enjoyed spending every season with YOU and will miss your posts and the snarky (and loving) camaraderie.  I'm sure I'll see familiar names in other threads and that, like the ending to this "Nashville", will make me happy.  Bye, y'all!

Edited by slasherboy
  • Love 12

I liked the ending, but I really wish they hadn't had Juliette quit music. Why couldn't she have stayed a popular singer and had some goats on a farm?

At least they gave Hayden a fairly complete song rather than just a measly few bars. She's a powerhouse singer who can really deliver the emotional punch of a song, and this season there's been woefully little singing for her.

• Love 6

I admit it, that last ten minutes got me right in the heart. The whole montage where everyone got their happy endings was so nice to see, and the ending with the whole cast and crew singing along to A Life Thats Good, one of my favorites songs on this show was a perfect way to wrap the show up. Especially getting to see the camera guys and and crew all come up, and, of course, Connie coming back. So happy that Deacon is finally getting the happiness and success he has deserved, and that we got to see him and Rayna one last time. And Avery and Juliette end up together! At long last! 

Other than that, this episode was pretty bleh for a series finale. So much time spent with the random characters instead of the long time cast we have known and loved for years now. The whole thing seemed rushed, it came across as a show that just found out it was cancelled, not a show that has had two years to plan its finale. Even the ending was rather rushed, as heartwarming as it was. "Crap, we spent so much time on extraneous characters, we forgot to give actual endings to the main characters of this show! Quickly, we need a Montague! Montague! Montague! Montague like the wind!" Why they thought we all wanted a billion new pointless characters when we already have a ton of actual characters is anyone's guess. 

But never the less, I was happy to have stuck it out to see how the show ended. When this show was good, it was really good, and when it was bad...well, y'all know. But, it did re-spark my interest in country music, and made my recent trips to Nashville even more fun. And, I admit, even when the story sucked, the acting was always great, and the music was almost always first rate, and thats enough to keep me around. Thanks for the fun everyone, its been a great ride, even if I wish it had ended on a higher note, besides the great last ten minutes. Hope you have a life thats good!

• Love 11

Well it's over and I didn't completely hate it.

Most of the episode felt slapped together. It seemed as though the writers suddenly realized we've got one hour to tie together eleventy million storylines and they just randomly came up with stuff.

Favorite moments: Cadence playing in the box, Rayna's guest appearance and everyone appearing on stage.

I may not miss this show but I will definitely miss Charles Esten. Hopefully he has another project in the wings.

It's been a pleasure sharing thoughts with all!

• Love 5

Guys, I didn’t even know this was the finale until they hit me with that “A few months later...” tag. The episode itself was kind of a dud so imagine my panic when I realized I’d been spacing during the series finale.  

The last ten minutes was really sweet and touching.  I loved that they ended at the Opry, it brought everything full circle (along with Hayden’s hair).  The only hokey thing was Scarlett’s sudden engagement, real life husband or not.  My eyes almost rolled into the back of my head when Deacon invited Gideon onstage until I realized they were trying to kill me with the entire dang cast and crew. 

• Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Guys, I didn’t even know this was the finale until they hit me with that “A few months later...” tag. The episode itself was kind of a dud so imagine my panic when I realized I’d been spacing during the series finale.  

The last ten minutes was really sweet and touching.  I loved that they ended at the Opry, it brought everything full circle (along with Hayden’s hair).  The only hokey thing was Scarlett’s sudden engagement, real life husband or not.  My eyes almost rolled into the back of my head when Deacon invited Gideon onstage until I realized they were trying to kill me with the entire dang cast and crew. 

Seriously the Scarlett thing was so bad. I get that she wanted to include her husband but damn it was such shoehorned in, it was bad. Also I do have to say.. like The status quo for will not even able to get back together with Zach with actual scenes, Gunner gets a crap deal

like hes gotten throughout this show where Scarlett gets a happily ever after and gunner cannot. I can’t ever forget how gunner was always the one at fault for everything regarding him and Scarlett.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2

So the show is over.  It will feel strange for a while, not having it there.  I am not one of those people who stops watching a show because of a storyline.  If, in my opinion, a show gets too crazy, I'll stop watching.  I never did with Nashville.  There were certainly storylines I wasn't crazy about - the whole Rayna/Luke thing that went on so much longer than it should have, Maddie's emancipation, Teddy's fun with hookers and back office shenanigans.  Some characters tried my patience - Maddie at times, Scarlett at times, Rayna.  Other characters were magnificent in the depth they brought to their characters and to every single storyline they were part of, no matter how ridiculous or weird - Deacon, Avery, Juliette.  I got annoyed with all the times they changed backstory to suit a current storyline - Deacon and Rayna's most of all.  But I stayed with it, suspending belief when I needed to, feeling all the feels when they touched my heart, letting a less exciting storyline just play out in the background.  For all its ups and downs, I really loved the show and what it evoked.

I'll miss the music.  I have had a love/hate relationship with country music most of my life.  I'm a rock 'n roll girl, through and through.  But I loved the music.  I loved it from every single character that delivered it.  I didn't care if it was a 'rando' and I never got caught up in counting how many songs each character got.  I felt like this was the part of Nashville, the real city, that the show got right.  There are always people out there trying to make it.  The barista at your Starbucks, the person who serves your dinner at The Southern, the busker in the McDonald's parking lot in Bellevue - they all have a story and a song and they're all trying to make it and if they flitted through our show, sometimes taking longer residence than others, than so be it.  That's how it is in the real Nashville.  The real Nashville isn't about 6 or 7 people, it's the whole rainbow of music that gets made there.  

I liked how they ended it.  I think it allows each person who watched it to imagine what might happen to the characters after we leave them.  Maybe Deacon stays single for the rest of his days, never able to find anyone who can fill that hole that Rayna left behind.  Maybe one day Juliette will go back to making music, but in a different way.  I loved the finale song and all the people who came back and even those who were part of the crew getting to celebrate that.

I love that I got to actually experience what it's like to live in Nashville for four years.  To see the real Nashville.  That was amazing.

Oh, and in my head, when Teddy got out of prison he decided he could never actually come back to Nashville, because of his disgrace.  So he and Deacon worked things out, with Daphne, that allowed her to stay with Maddie and Deacon.  Because Teddy didn't want to separate the sisters.  And Daphne visited him, wherever he landed, regularly and talked to him often, but we weren't bogged down with the minutiae of all that, because, seriously, if it wasn't important to the characters on the screen, what difference did it make?  #sorrynotsorry

And Marshall did confirm that Hayden had contractual parameters that dictated how much she participated in the show.  So the lack of Juliette was because that was the way she wanted it, no matter the reason.  That disappointed me, because Juliette had been a favorite, but it is what it is.

• Love 8

Well I was overjoyed that Deacon and jEssie didn’t end up together. When Ilsa told him to call or write, my immediate thought was ‘oh thank GOD he’s going to be with a woman who has high self-esteem and isn’t so needy.’ Jessie is such a drag and Deacon didn’t need that in his life.

i cried at the flashback of Deacon and Rayna, and really enjoyed the final concert scene. at first I thought it was just going to be a family affair with deacon and the girls. Then Scarlett walked out and then Gunnar, Juliette, Avery etc. And I thought ‘oh how nice, all the series regulars.’  Then the rest of the cast (including the dearly departed) and crew came out and i realized what they were doing. I thought it was really well done.

like everyone else, I wish the rest of the episode had been as good. Or hell, the rest of the damn season! I was more than ready for it to end but now that t has, I’ll miss it. Or more, I’ll miss what it could and should have been. 

• Love 6

I had given up on the show and wouldn't have watched the last season except i saw that Rhiannon Giddens  (the church friend) was going to be on it.  She is a favorite singer of mine, I've seen her twice in concert and she is great.  Too bad she had so little singing time, while I sat through hours of ridiculous story lines.

I agree with whoever said she hated the Gideon story with a passion, I thought it really cheapened. the reality of living with an abusive alcoholic parent and having him show up again "reformed." I liked seeing J and A back together, although i never thought they had any chemistry.   The finale with all the cast and crew on stage was lovely, however, and the song was delightful.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Well I was overjoyed that Deacon and jEssie didn’t end up together. When Ilsa told him to call or write, my immediate thought was ‘oh thank GOD he’s going to be with a woman who has high self-esteem and isn’t so needy.’ Jessie is such a drag and Deacon didn’t need that in his life.

That was the one part I really didn't care for.  The woman judge flirting with him seemed random and awkward and there was no spark there at all.  I was glad it was not brought up again and she was nowhere to be seen in that final scene before he went onstage at the Ryman.  As I imagine Deacon in the future, it's definitely NOT with her.  I liked him with Jessie and I still, as I imagine how things might play out for everyone in the future, could see them maybe crossing paths again.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MBayGal said:

I agree with whoever said she hated the Gideon story with a passion, I thought it really cheapened. the reality of living with an abusive alcoholic parent and having him show up again "reformed."

That was me (perhaps among others). IMO it was just about the most tone-deaf story of the series. Of course Dr. Scarlett healing a vet thru a suicidal episode/PTSD with her magical squirrely ways is right up there. 

• Love 11

Dear CMT: I am all in for a Highwaymen spin-off staring Will, Avery and Gunnar. 

I didn't find the Rayna flashback enitrely satisfying because of the way her monologue was written. He was remembering a talk they had on their wedding night and her saying they've both hurt each other but they can let it be in the past and still love each other. Okay that part is fine, and I get it, this is the Rayna wisdom that allows Deacon to breakthrough and forgive his dad. But then that part where she was talking about how they would love each other forever and ever cuz they are in each other's blood, that just made me sad for Deacon. Like she was his one true love, and he will never have what he and Rayna had again. I just wish they would have written something more open and hopeful for Deacon finding love in the future. 

• Love 9

Such a disappointing finale, except for the last 10 minutes.

I've always been more of a Rayna fan than Deacon, but I hadn't realized how much better the show was when she was in it until she showed up in that memory/dream of Deacon's. I suddenly sat up and remembered how much I usually enjoyed their scenes (especially before they got together). The actors really have great chemistry (I've always thought so of Connie with whichever guy she was involved in the show) and bring out the best in each other, acting-wise.

Scarlet - I haven't cared for her in ages. The irony of her advising everyone in this show when she's been the lost one for a season or two was not lost on me. The engaged "a few months later" is weird and reading on this thread that it's her RL husband just pretty much explains why the character has been in her own world this past season or two.

Gunner - good for him for finally realizing that he didn't need a relationship! Unfortunately, I believe he's already had this realization before (when he met up with the old high school friend/sweetheart) but at least it looks like he's managed to keep it up for a few months. Would have been nice if we'd seen more singing/writing and/or performing from him this season, though, I always enjoyed those scenes in the past despite not caring much for the character himself.

Will - I'm not sure what to say about him. He wasn't really present this season, was he? Such a shame. So many opportunities for him, especially after that whole situation with the anti-gay TV woman and the protest he organized. Disappointed he ended up with Zach and not Kevin. The steroids story line was lame and I don't know what happened to the actor, but he looked very different (way less hot) this season. Wonder if TPTB insisted on that. Also, his will they/won't they thing with Gunner these past couple of eps was weird and unnecessary, unless they wanted Gunner to realize he's bisexual and that didn't happen.

Gideon - don't care much for him, saw this happy ending coming when he was first introduced and hate the way they handled his relationship with Deacon. Such a disservice to those in similar situations/childhoods. I was astounded by Deacon's hypocrisy at the motel though, he of all people should know what it's like for his father when he fell of the wagon several times himself despite the support system he had (his father lost everything in that hurricane, Deacon has been tempted for far less, e.g. Rayna not making heart-eyes at him).

Jessie - SO glad she and Deacon didn't end up together. Surprised she wasn't sniffling when she showed up at Brad's office, that seems to be her thing. Thought it was weird how much emphasis the show placed on the depth of their feelings for each other and all the agony of them breaking up because of Jake, only to not follow up on them after she got full custody *and* to show the scene between Deacon and Rayna which pretty much invalided the whole Jessie thing.

Avery - did we ever see him actually break things off with purple hair? Ah well, glad they didn't waste time on that. Happy he and Juliette are back together despite her treating him horribly in the past. He made a good decision to wait and see in regards to Juliette's change in behavior and not getting back together right away. 

Juliette - oh, how I've missed her. She's a great singer and I really liked the keyboard scene, there used to be tons of moments like that (not necessarily her) in the show and we haven't had them in ages. Glad she was so mature about the breakup/baby thing. Didn't really like the cult story line but also feel TPTB didn't explore it fully by wrapping things up so hastily, wish we'd seen more of her in this season. Oh and I was like "did they forgot the bump?" when she first came onto the stage with Deacon & co and then realized what was happening.

Emily, Bucky and Glenn - how I love these guys and wish we'd seen more of them this season, especially since all the new characters got so much time dedicated to them.

Maddie - oh, how little I care about her and her romances. Can't believe TPTB  thought the emancipation story line was a good one when she's still acting and thinking like a child now at 18. Hope she wasn't stupid enough to have sex with "branch". I don't know if it was the actress' influence or TPTB that decided which direction Maddie's music went the past two seasons, but it sucked. I'm really glad we haven't heard/seen Tide or Waterfall or whatever it was called after the overdose, but the one or two (honestly couldn't tell them apart) songs she's been singing this season sounded just as lame and the same. She was much better when she sang with Daphne and a cappella or with her guitar. I think it all went wrong when Cash showed up. And I won't even start on her appearance, which has only gotten worse as the show progressed... Not sure why she moved out when it was implied that Deacon was touring the country, so why not stay at home with Daphne?

Daphne - could see her rendition of that song (was I supposed to know it?) coming the moment she heard for the first time. Don't know why the show pretended it was so difficult for her when they've showcased her writing/singing for ages, including changing that one song (with Maddie?) by the annoying boybander/rockstar a few seasons ago. Glad she didn't win, but would have liked it if the young man had won over the young woman. Oh and I can barely express my "surprise" over her signing with HW65 afterwards...

Deacon - glad he got his break but felt like he was doing his usual "not the right time" or "if it was meant to be it would have happened already" routine. So lame. Just wanted someone to shake him and tell him that it hadn't happened already because that's what he said every single time there was an opportunity for him to go solo. I'm not a big fan of Deacon and I don't know if it's the writing or the actor, but I really feel he hasn't been able to carry the show since Rayna died (and Juliette wasn't around much). But then everything went downhill fast after that, so who knows what the cause was.  Oh and I liked the brief flirtation with Ilse and I don't remember if I've expressed it in previous episodes, but always thought she was a much better match for him than Jessie. Never really felt the chemistry between Deacon and Jessie, but definitely felt it during the brief flirtation with Ilse and so did the girls, it seems. It's possible that's also in part because I don't like whiny Jessie and find Ilse's smile a bit infectious. I would have liked to have seen them explore a romance but also appreciate Ilse not making a move until after the show and she wasn't Daphne's mentor anymore. Or maybe show them writing/singing together before moving on to dating. Ilse is a real talented singer/musician (google Ilse DeLange) and I was disappointed with the few bits of it we saw on the show.

Everyone coming together on the stage was pretty awesome, especially to see so many actors that left a long time ago and still made it a point to return for those few seconds.

Overall, I agree with those upthread who said the show should have ended in season 4, but without the plane crash.

• Love 2
(edited)

Sorry, guys, but I gotta let it all out before reading your posts. I usually just read them without posting anything, but since it's the last episode, I have to say a thing or two. 

* When Daphne was reading the note, first I thought her dad was the one to send it. (Oh wait, he still doesn't exist!)

* Loved the signature curly hair on Juliette. Once Avery came, I felt that I will cry very soon, if not there. I'm happy they ended up together! 

* On the other hand, Scarlett looked like she had a curled mop for a wig. I'm glad she didn't end up with Gunnar. Also, I was surprised that she was wearing a dress with a bit of a cleveage, since she known for being an advocate for Cat lady inc. . 

* I thought Will would end up with Gunnar, but that would be really messed up to do in only one episode. I'm glad and surprised that the creators of the show didn't push for that. 

*At least they have wrapped up the thing with Brad in an okay-ish way? He kinda had a point with Alannah, pardon, purple hair (LOVE THAT!). I'm happy I won't be seeing her anymore and that there were no scenes with her and Avery. 

*Of course, when Rayna was back in the picture, I was already on the verge of crying.  I was always a Juliette fan and wasn't that much sad about Rayna going away, but once I saw her, I forgot how much I missed her! The first line of A life that's good broke me and tears streamed down my face. I started watching the show when it was summer break, before fourth season, I think. I watched several episodes a day and became addicted to it! I can't believe that it's gone. 

Edited by EuropeanGirl
  • Love 4

I have a question that we'll never know the answer to.  Isn't that kind of sad?  Here it is: who is going to watch after Daphne in that big (over 20,000 square feet ... it's currently up for sale) house while Deacon is on the road touring?  Maddie moved to her own place and her cousin Scarlett is married and won't be staying there (presumably).  Her mother is dead and her father doesn't exist, so all that's left is her abusive, alcoholic not-grandfather.  And while those two obviously get along very well, no way would I trust my 14 year old daughter alone with him.

Any thoughts?

On 7/27/2018 at 3:35 PM, deacondahling said:

The writers were so lazy they just had her real-life husband show up to end her story? Please. I've heard rumors that she was angling for him to be on the show for awhile, and he was part of the issues Clare and Sam had in real life.

Can you give more info about their issues? I've come across a few posts mentioning issues as well, but couldn't find more. 

I was thrilled they gave Avery and Juliette a happy ending and thought her way of showing she was there for him was to tell him it's okay if he ended up with purple hair.

Juliette singing while playing the keyboard.  We all know she will be back but maybe Avery will get his time to shine.

I did not need to see purple hair sing.  I would much rather heard the Last Highway sing.  I love Avery, Gunnar and Will singing.

Happy they finally gave Deacon a shot at the real thing.  And it was good to see him sing with his dad.  I do not think it cheapened what he went through but showed some growth.  As far as the female judge, I did not like him with Jessie.  It was too exhausting to watch.

Scarlett falls fast so I can see her engaged in a few months.  I assumed she was back singing.

Gunnar needed to stand on his own for a while.

I'll miss the show but the last season was too weird.  The cult storyline probably fit in Hayden's contract but still bad.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I have a question that we'll never know the answer to.  Isn't that kind of sad?  Here it is: who is going to watch after Daphne in that big (over 20,000 square feet ... it's currently up for sale) house while Deacon is on the road touring?  Maddie moved to her own place and her cousin Scarlett is married and won't be staying there (presumably).  Her mother is dead and her father doesn't exist, so all that's left is her abusive, alcoholic not-grandfather.  And while those two obviously get along very well, no way would I trust my 14 year old daughter alone with him.

Any thoughts?

Well, she could go stay with Maddie in her place.  Scarlett and her husband could still watch her.  Or she could travel with Deacon.  Or stay with a friend.

And it's not that her father doesn't exist, but he doesn't live in Nashville and he doesn't want to come back.  LOL

9 minutes ago, piratewench said:

Well, she could go stay with Maddie in her place.  Scarlett and her husband could still watch her.  Or she could travel with Deacon.  Or stay with a friend.

And it's not that her father doesn't exist, but he doesn't live in Nashville and he doesn't want to come back.  LOL

Those are some reasonable explanations.

I know Teddy is alive and well someplace besides Nashville.  The reason I said he doesn't exist is because in other posts, people have referred to him as "the father who doesn't exist".  I was just being funny.  Or not.

4 hours ago, Lexusprincess said:

Scarlett falls fast so I can see her engaged in a few months.  I assumed she was back singing.

She's already engaged.  They divulged that during the last few minutes.

(edited)
12 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I know Teddy is alive and well someplace besides Nashville.  The reason I said he doesn't exist is because in other posts, people have referred to him as "the father who doesn't exist".  I was just being funny.  Or not.

Oh, I get it.  I just continue to be surprised by the level of drama surrounding that whole thing.  And particularly by people who probably weren't Teddy fans when he was actually on the show.  It's just interesting to me that he's the one they can't let go of.

Edited by piratewench
  • Love 2

Stopped watching right after Rayna died. Could not stand Maddie or Scarlett. Used to love watching for Emily, Glenn and Bucky to show up. Was a big fan of the show and then it just fizzled out. I read the reviews about the last 5 minutes and found it on Hulu yesterday. So nice to see all of the familiar faces one more time - especially Connie. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, EuropeanGirl said:

Also, I was surprised that she was wearing a dress with a bit of a cleveage, since she known for being an advocate for Cat lady inc. . 

some posts should come with warnings "may cause you to almost choke on your coffee."

3 hours ago, piratewench said:

Oh, I get it.  I just continue to be surprised by the level of drama surrounding that whole thing.  And particularly by people who probably weren't Teddy fans when he was actually on the show.  It's just interesting to me that he's the one they can't let go of.

I think for many it's not a matter of letting go of Teddy. It's just an unusually in your face style of bad continuity in writing. I was no Teddy fan. but it was odd how they just decided to act like he never existed as opposed to making up a reason for him not to be there--or have him send a note or anything. At first I thought it was people being overly picky, but they really started to write it like she was Deacon's biological daughter. They do deserve negative points for that.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

but they really started to write it like she was Deacon's biological daughter.

Exactly.  I am not a Teddy fan, but with each "Deacon's daughter" statement, which seemed to happen more than once an episode, it was as if they were trying to make us actually believe that Deacon had raised both girls and had been the biggest influence on them. 

At this point, I just still want to talk, and hear others' thoughts, about the show.    

• Love 7
2 hours ago, seewillrun said:

Exactly.  I am not a Teddy fan, but with each "Deacon's daughter" statement, which seemed to happen more than once an episode, it was as if they were trying to make us actually believe that Deacon had raised both girls and had been the biggest influence on them. 

At this point, I just still want to talk, and hear others' thoughts, about the show.    

5 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

some posts should come with warnings "may cause you to almost choke on your coffee."

I think for many it's not a matter of letting go of Teddy. It's just an unusually in your face style of bad continuity in writing. I was no Teddy fan. but it was odd how they just decided to act like he never existed as opposed to making up a reason for him not to be there--or have him send a note or anything. At first I thought it was people being overly picky, but they really started to write it like she was Deacon's biological daughter. They do deserve negative points for that.

I actually was a Teddy fan as I mentioned before. lol It's just weird. I was completely fine when he was in prison. The writers were the ones who said he'd be out but didn't follow up on it which turned into bad writing. Deacon can be a great step father without ignoring the fact that Daphne has a father. But anyway... it was an ok series finally. I wish Juliette didn't retire but I suppose it was a way to show that she's going to let Avery have his shot which seems to be the case in the flash forward and the Lost Highways. Very uneven and odd last season but I'm still a little sad to see Nashville go.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, t7686 said:

I wish Juliette didn't retire but I suppose it was a way to show that she's going to let Avery have his shot which seems to be the case in the flash forward and the Lost Highways.

I hadn't thought about it that way, but that makes sense.  It seems a hard enough life with one parent on the road, and doing all the publicity that seems to be required.  If you actually want to raise your kids instead of leaving them with nannies, somebody has to take a back seat for a while anyway.  That person doesn't necessarily have to be the mother, but in this particular case, not only has Juliette had a really good run, but she seemed to be tired of constantly being in the public eye.

7 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

My point is really that I never understood why that particular plot point was so important.  There were so many other times throughout the series where they actually revised previously introduced backstory - and I'm not just talking about the last two seasons.  Of all the dangling plot points to get worked up over, that one just didn't seem like the one to get all worked up over.  Daphne didn't seem to mind.

I was more annoyed at how many times they changed Deacon and Rayna's backstory.  And that extended back to season 3.

• Love 1

That finale was one of the worst things I have ever seen. They spent a season and a half on Jessie and Deacon so they can not end up together. And Gunnar and Scarlet aren’t together which was canon from the first episode. Although Scarlett was insufferable at the end. Maddie - who cares? Previous episode she is making out with Twig because she’s so happy and next episode she’s over it. I’m glad Avery and Juliette got back together although that cult storyline was awful. I know she had contract stipulations but that is the best they could do.  I hate that they turned Juliet into a farmer. Part of her appeal was her over-the-top fabulousness. It would’ve been nice to see her mature as a character but stay in the music industry. And Brad? So many new characters that were totally unnecessary. Although I didn’t mind Alanna.  I think she was meant to take Juliet’s place because despite what the writers say they were expecting the show to go longer. Will had no storyline for two years. I had high hopes when the show got  new show runners and moved to CMT. I enjoyed the first half of season five. I felt like it was getting back to its roots and focusing on music more. But it just turned into a total crap fest. Music wasn’t even really that much a part of it anymore. It’s like they had different writers for each episode that had no idea what happened in the previous episode with story lines going all over the place. Remember  The big deal about Rachel Bilson joining the cast and she was in the couple episodes and did nothing. 

Teddy - They specifically stated Teddy would be out in three months at Rayna’s funeral. A year later and nothing. It’s lack of continuity and bad writing. I think they just did that to make Teddy the bad guy who wanted to take the girls away from Deacon when he got out. I think the show had a tendency to make any of Rayna’s live interests who weren’t Deacon bad guys. And if you hadn’t watched the first four seasons you would honestly think Daphne was deacons biological daughter. She’s Teddy’s who also raised Maddie as his own.

I’m re-watching the first episode and wow how things changed. Scarlet actually used to talk in a semi-normal voice. LOL. And a couple of great songs in that first episode alone. Miss those days. 

With all that being said, I will miss the show. 

• Love 5

I guess we all have things we hand-wave away depending on our perspective. I was raised by my aunt and uncle from age 1 year. Though I was never formally adopted, if anyone had denied my relationship with them, it would have been both painful and false as I considered them my parents and they thought of me as their child. 

I disliked the Gideon story from the very introduction of a character  who had never been mentioned, through all the transplant story and Deacons sisters death, as alive. However in the last five minutes, with the phrase, "I know all your songs", I decided it didn't matter because that made a damn good scene and what the hell, the show was over anyway. 

Since I thought Gunnar would have been a dang fool to take Scarlett back, I was okay with them not getting back together. However I sure am glad for all their duets as I find I never skip past one when listening to the soundtracks. Also (unpopular opinion) there a couple of Layla's songs that are in the same category...I never skip past them. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, seewillrun said:

I hadn't thought about it that way, but that makes sense.  It seems a hard enough life with one parent on the road, and doing all the publicity that seems to be required.  If you actually want to raise your kids instead of leaving them with nannies, somebody has to take a back seat for a while anyway.  That person doesn't necessarily have to be the mother, but in this particular case, not only has Juliette had a really good run, but she seemed to be tired of constantly being in the public eye.

I also think it made sense for Juliette to retire because her career and fame never really seemed to make her happy. She still had an unhappiness and insecurity inside stemming from her childhood and lack of stable family. I could see her finally being truly happy enjoying a quiet, loving family life with Avery and their children. It would give her the love and security she never felt she really had in her life. I know it's cliche that the wife gives up her career but, to me, it felt right for Juliette. I could see her still being a songwriter but staying out of the spotlight.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, seewillrun said:

I disliked the Gideon story from the very introduction of a character  who had never been mentioned, through all the transplant story and Deacons sisters death, as alive. However in the last five minutes, with the phrase, "I know all your songs", I decided it didn't matter because that made a damn good scene and what the hell, the show was over anyway. 

exactly this

• Love 1
17 hours ago, TVFANATICA2000 said:

I’m re-watching the first episode and wow how things changed. Scarlet actually used to talk in a semi-normal voice. LOL. And a couple of great songs in that first episode alone. Miss those days. 

With all that being said, I will miss the show. 

I really could have done without the actress playing Scarlet because of her awful voice. It was rare that I could understand any of her lines, I can only surmise that it was because she did a poor job of substituting her Australian accent with a Southern American one. Being from the South, I'd rather hear no accent at all than a fake Southern accent. The British actor playing Gunnar did a good job with his vanilla American speaking voice.

• Love 2
On 7/27/2018 at 10:33 PM, woodstock said:

I may not miss this show but I will definitely miss Charles Esten. Hopefully he has another project in the wings.

He does!  Here's where we can find our Deacon this fall

https://fanfest.com/2018/07/10/nashville-star-charles-esten-joins-tnt-thriller-tell-me-your-secrets/

I hope it's a hit because I'll miss him too.  His name will be Saul.  Hee Hee

On 7/30/2018 at 1:32 PM, seewillrun said:

I'll talk with you, seewillrun.  As critical as I was of this show, I don't want it to be over.  I just wish they done things right!

It's funny/not funny how many stupid story lines there were that were mentioned of for 2 minutes then never spoken of again.  There were a lot, but a couple that just come to mind were ...

... when Deacon got, was it liver cancer?  Ok, I've got a life-threatening disease then ok, I'm fine now.  Carry on.  Whaaaaa???  They could have killed Beverly a different way, couldn't they?

And another ...

... when Will got hooked on steroids, had a couple of bouts of 'roid rage, dropped almost dead on stage, spent 30 seconds in the hospital with a life-threatened disease then ok, I'm fine now.  What was the point?

These are the kinds of things that really bugged me with this show.  I don't have to re-has all the unneeded characters who just breezed in and out, but it bothers me that we'll never get to see what this show could have been.  So much lost opportunity for the music we'll never hear.  I would have bought all the albums from the Lost Highways, from Gunner and Scarlett, from Deacon by himself or Deacon with anybody ..... I use a lot of dots, don't I?

Sad!

• Love 3

I chose not to be critical about everything.  It made for a more enjoyable experience, rather than spending lots of time getting angry about things I couldn't control.  The writers were never the best, throughout most of the series.  I always felt like each one kind of wrote from his/her own perspective and didn't tie it into anyone else's episode.  And the showrunners didn't really seem to have an overarching plan, especially seasons 3 and 4.  But I decided I would just go with it and enjoy the performances and the music and watch for local places I knew and pretend, when I was living in Nashville, that they were too.  That I could walk around the corner and there would be Scarlett at Crema or the boys at Barista Parlor.  Or I could go see Deacon at the Bluebird (I did do that!) or Rayna and Juliette at Bridgestone.

I'll miss the show.  Every bit of it.

• Love 5

While I knew the finale would be everything and the kitchen sink thrown in because of all the dangling plot threads, I was still pretty satisfied.

Javery reunited. On their farm. With Cadence and Baby #2 on the way. With animals, including goats. And Hayden sporting her own naturally curly hair. I picture them writing songs and Avery producing and them occasionally performing at the Bluebird etc. and just having a simpler life.

Gunnar and Scarlett did NOT end up together and thank goodness for that, although I didn't think there was a need to show Scarlett with her IRL husband/reel life fiance. They could have gone the way of Maddie and showing her on her own and doing just fine. 

Speaking of Maddie, I really liked Twigg but could appreciate that she just wanted to be by herself to figure out what she really wanted. Imagine that.

Purple hair - ugh. Why precious time was wasted on her, I have no idea and yes, to whoever said, WTF to letting creeper Brad get off scot-free and $15 million richer. 

While Zach is not whom I wanted Will to end up with (I'll always ship him with Kevin), I'm glad he did get a happy ending and much like Jeff grew on me, Zach did as well, especially with him helping out with the Brad situation.

So, so glad that Jessie and Deacon did not end up together because I COULD NOT STAND Jessie and her damn whining and crying. To be fair, no one would ever measure up to CB's Rayna, but they just felt so forced. I have to say though, there was more chemistry in the 10 seconds Deacon and Ilse talked than all his scenes with Jessie put together. 

Daphne not winning was fine by me and clearly, she was signed on her parents' label, but wow, watching her sing, she has really grown up before our eyes and when she was singing, it's uncanny how much she reminded me of Rayna.

The last ten minutes really got to me - Deacon's flashback to Rayna and here came my tears. 

His making peace with his father, as contrived as it might seem, and finding forgiveness was touching.  I think Deacon has the same definition of forgiveness I do: it's letting go of the hope that the past would have been different. It doesn't mean condoning, it doesn't mean forgetting or whitewashing what his father did. It's not even about his father - it's about Deacon giving himself the gift of letting go and choosing not to look in the rear view mirror the rest of his life. When his dad said, "I know all your songs...," that was an awwww moment. 

I loved that Connie and so many other came back to join in on "A Life That's Good."

In some ways, I think CB leaving decimated the show but when I think back to how gut-wrenchingly raw and real her accident/death/funeral/aftermath scenes were, that was some damn good television. I mean, I ugly cried when she died and then the funeral (especially Bucky crying on the couch) and when Maddie broke down at the awards show tribute and Deacon and Daphne rushed up to help her finish "Sanctuary." I had to remind myself that this was not real life. No TV death every got to me like Raynda's did although ER's Lucy and Grey's Anatomy's George and Derek came close. 

Wow, I'm really going to miss the show. 

Edited by CountryGirl
  • Love 4
On 7/28/2018 at 6:16 PM, TVbitch said:

Dear CMT: I am all in for a Highwaymen spin-off staring Will, Avery and Gunnar. 

Damn, my dream a Highwayman spin-off is already quashed as Will is going to be on next season of Grey's Anatomy. Damn, I gave up on that show shortly after Sandrah Oh left and have no idea who's who anymore, but I'll have to check him out.  

• Love 3
20 hours ago, piratewench said:

I chose not to be critical about everything.  It made for a more enjoyable experience, rather than spending lots of time getting angry about things I couldn't control.  The writers were never the best, throughout most of the series.  I always felt like each one kind of wrote from his/her own perspective and didn't tie it into anyone else's episode.  And the showrunners didn't really seem to have an overarching plan, especially seasons 3 and 4.  But I decided I would just go with it and enjoy the performances and the music and watch for local places I knew and pretend, when I was living in Nashville, that they were too.  That I could walk around the corner and there would be Scarlett at Crema or the boys at Barista Parlor.  Or I could go see Deacon at the Bluebird (I did do that!) or Rayna and Juliette at Bridgestone.

I'll miss the show.  Every bit of it.

PirateWench, I love your attitude about the show.  I tried to watch it through similar eyes and did, for the most part.  Your post just reminded me how much I really did enjoy this show and how much I'll miss it.  Every bit of it.

Now I'm all weepy.

5 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Damn, my dream a Highwayman spin-off is already quashed as Will is going to be on next season of Grey's Anatomy. Damn, I gave up on that show shortly after Sandrah Oh left and have no idea who's who anymore, but I'll have to check him out.  

For realz?  I heard that somebody hot was joining the show but didn't bother to find out who.  I haven't watched "Grey's Anatomy" since, probably season 3 so I would have a LOT of catching up to do.  But I'm not going to.  Just gonna tune in to see our Will!  I'll bet he went to one of those ranches touted by VP Pence to change him from gay to straight.

So 2 of my favs have new shows to go to.  Wonder what's up with Avery?  I know he's really into his music, so we may not see him on TV in the near future (or ever again).  But I hope we do!

• Love 2

Maddie - who cares? Previous episode she is making out with Twig because she’s so happy and next episode she’s over it.

Maybe he was bad in bed.  Hee hee

Cadence with a microphone during the finale ... so cute!

Maybe it is just because I am a big Connie Britton fan, but as soon as she comes on screen, the show is immediately better!  They should have done a 1 hour or even 2 hour retrospective featuring the best songs, especially Deacon and Rayna duets when they are gazing into each other's eyes.

This might be controversial: favorite Connie Britton / actor coupling:  Tami Taylor and Eric/Coach Taylor OR Rayna and Deacon?

1 hour ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

This might be controversial: favorite Connie Britton / actor coupling:  Tami Taylor and Eric/Coach Taylor OR Rayna and Deacon?

That is very hard.  Tami and Coach presented a great married couple thing and I liked their dynamic, but Deacon and Rayna had that sexy thing going that, for me anyway, puts them in the lead.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2018 at 3:18 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

The Taylors for sure! But the harder question is which tv daughter was worse: Julie Taylor or Maddie? That’s an impossible choice.

• Love 2

One final observation - I have noticed this everywhere.  The people who actually thought Deacon had chemistry with the judge always prefaced it with the fact that they didn't like Jessie.  So I have to assume the only reason they saw chemistry in that weird, random snippet of a scene is because they were just glad it wasn't Jessie.

I liked Jessie, but was fine with them not ending up together.  I had said initially that I thought Deacon needed more time and that he seemed a little pushed by Scarlett, primarily, to get back in the game.  So hopefully he takes some more time to just let himself grieve.  Like maybe four or five years.  Then find someone more like him.

I liked Jessie. I think she was written very accurately for her situation.

My own "birth father" (because that's about all he is to me) has a very similar personality to Brad's and uses the same tactics to control people. My father was a cop, so he wielded his perceived power quite openly.

My father literally physically confronted and threatened men that my mother dated, so much so that they wouldn't see her again. He stalked my mother (and in fact, his second ex-wife).

My mother had to take him to court to get him to pay child support for me and my two younger sisters. His wages were eventually garnished because he wouldn't pay as per the divorce and custody agreement. There's a shitload more to that story, but the point is that a man with can make a former female partner (particularly with shared children) pretty miserable by gaslighting and emotional and verbal abuse, and the law doesn't do much to protect women until they are physically attacked, and even then, not much is done. Some of those women are killed by their former partners.

Jessie was not weak, needy or whiny. She was scared for herself and her son because of Brad's actions. She had every reason to be afraid.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, piratewench said:

One final observation - I have noticed this everywhere.  The people who actually thought Deacon had chemistry with the judge always prefaced it with the fact that they didn't like Jessie.  So I have to assume the only reason they saw chemistry in that weird, random snippet of a scene is because they were just glad it wasn't Jessie.

I liked Jessie, but was fine with them not ending up together.  I had said initially that I thought Deacon needed more time and that he seemed a little pushed by Scarlett, primarily, to get back in the game.  So hopefully he takes some more time to just let himself grieve.  Like maybe four or five years.  Then find someone more like him.

I don't like Jessie, but that doesn't mean I think he has chemistry with everyone but Jessie. Like I said before, I did see chemistry between him and Ilse, but it's possible that's just because I find her smile infectious. However, I never thought Deacon had chemistry with, say, that Rachel Bilson character. I did think he had chemistry with that woman on tour in one of the earlier seasons (she was tall,  had long blonde hair I think and had slightly masculine features).

11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I liked Jessie. I think she was written very accurately for her situation.

My own "birth father" (because that's about all he is to me) has a very similar personality to Brad's and uses the same tactics to control people. My father was a cop, so he wielded his perceived power quite openly.

My father literally physically confronted and threatened men that my mother dated, so much so that they wouldn't see her again. He stalked my mother (and in fact, his second ex-wife).

My mother had to take him to court to get him to pay child support for me and my two younger sisters. His wages were eventually garnished because he wouldn't pay as per the divorce and custody agreement. There's a shitload more to that story, but the point is that a man with can make a former female partner (particularly with shared children) pretty miserable by gaslighting and emotional and verbal abuse, and the law doesn't do much to protect women until they are physically attacked, and even then, not much is done. Some of those women are killed by their former partners.

Jessie was not weak, needy or whiny. She was scared for herself and her son because of Brad's actions. She had every reason to be afraid.

Regardless of whether Jessie was, in your case, recognizably or perhaps even accurately written, that doesn't mean she was a good character. And she was needy and whiny. Practically every time she and Deacon met up she was blinking back tears (even in this episode, long after the drama), whether they had a good time or she was worrying about her son/Brad. Also, she started out as a fellow singer which impressed him and had grand ideas of studying psychology and, without any of Brad's influence in that part of her life (he tried to control their son and was nasty to Deacon because of her love life), she DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. She never again sang, wrote or even talked about either of those things. She didn't even go look at psychology courses or did any orientation. I don't know if she even had a job? All she seemed to do was either get together with Deacon, have coffee with other characters despite having no real relationship/friendship with them, or randomly show up somewhere in Nashville just to bump into Deacon (or in one case purple hair and I think even Scarlet a time).

I don’t think deacon had chemistry with Jessie but I also don’t think he had it in that scene with the blonde judge. That just felt super awkward and random to me. Like when they randomly had the Rachel Bilson character kiss him that time. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I don’t think deacon had chemistry with Jessie but I also don’t think he had it in that scene with the blonde judge. That just felt super awkward and random to me. Like when they randomly had the Rachel Bilson character kiss him that time. 

I thought there was some chemistry with Jessie, but I definitely agree on the blonde judge and Rachel Bilson and the other lady friends Deacon had.

2 hours ago, Efzee said:

Regardless of whether Jessie was, in your case, recognizably or perhaps even accurately written, that doesn't mean she was a good character. And she was needy and whiny. Practically every time she and Deacon met up she was blinking back tears (even in this episode, long after the drama), whether they had a good time or she was worrying about her son/Brad. Also, she started out as a fellow singer which impressed him and had grand ideas of studying psychology and, without any of Brad's influence in that part of her life (he tried to control their son and was nasty to Deacon because of her love life), she DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. She never again sang, wrote or even talked about either of those things. She didn't even go look at psychology courses or did any orientation. I don't know if she even had a job? All she seemed to do was either get together with Deacon, have coffee with other characters despite having no real relationship/friendship with them, or randomly show up somewhere in Nashville just to bump into Deacon (or in one case purple hair and I think even Scarlet a time).

She wasn't a bad character, just because you think she was.  Maybe she was needy and whiny.  That doesn't make her a bad character.  She had a purpose, even if you didn't see it.  You didn't seem like you really liked anything about the show, though, based on all your posts, so I guess it doesn't surprise me that you found it all "bad".  Why were you watching?

Edited by piratewench
  • Love 2