Type keyword(s) to search

Stargirl Anticipation

• Start Topic

My main exposure to Stargirl has been Smallville and Legends of Tomorrow but I'm looking forward to seeing how the DC streaming service and Geoff Johns execute it.  It's touching that his late sister was the inspiration for it. And after following his involvement from the DC side re: Arrow and some of the other CW stuff, I trust that he's going to do it right. 

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/07/24/stargirl-tv-series-dc-universe-cast-geoff-johns-2019/   

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

Demographically, this would seem a perfect fit for CW, but if I understand correctly, it's only going to be available on yet another streaming service? I hope that works out well for this show.

The demo is also one they would like to attract to a streaming service, especially a service that will be offering comics too.  If it gets more younger readers dipping into the DCU it's probably a good strategy. 

For some it probably is more alienating.  I know I'm tired of everyone wanting subscriptions from me. Even though I did pay my $75 upfront (for the 15 months/3 free) it was mainly for the comics library. If it hadn't been for that, I would have just waited until Stargirl aired and binge it all at once for $7.99.    

I would be interested to know if they are going the Netflix route of dropping all episodes at once, or the CBS All Access, where they run weekly.  

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, tessaray said:

For some it probably is more alienating.  I know I'm tired of everyone wanting subscriptions from me. Even though I did pay my $75 upfront (for the 15 months/3 free) it was mainly for the comics library. If it hadn't been for that, I would have just waited until Stargirl aired and binge it all at once for $7.99.     

It does seem that there will be an inevitable shakeout in streaming services. This could mean that a lot of good programs don't last because they just happened to be on the wrong service.

Or alternatively, a few big players could start offering discounted bundles of content from different services. Amazon seems to be moving in that direction, maybe.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
Trim quote to the part I'm actually responding too.
  • Love 1

Some interesting details about the new service and Stargirl in this interview.  

https://io9.gizmodo.com/geoff-johns-talks-about-three-jokers-the-shazam-comic-1827938804 

io9: Talk to me what’s different about planning a show like this for a streaming service, compared to Smallville or The Flash. 

Johns: No commercial breaks, which is a lot of fun. The timing doesn’t have to be like a broadcast show. There’s no specific time the episode has to be; we have flexibility. That’s awesome, because we can just cut the best version of the episode.

There’s certain structural stuff we don’t have to worry about. In the case of things like Titans and Doom Patrol, there’s ratings we don’t have to worry about. Stargirl will be a different kind of show, which I love. We should have something for everybody. The storytelling will be different, probably a little slower and more character-driven. I don’t want to do supervillain-of-the-week, that’s not what Stargirl is about. It’s a thirteen-hour movie about the rebirth of the Justice Society.

• Love 1

EXCLUSIVE: CASTING BEGINS FOR COURTNEY WHITMORE IN DC COMIC’S ‘STARGIRL’ TV SERIES
By Caleb Williams   August 7, 2018
https://thegww.com/exclusive-casting-begins-for-courtney-whitmore-in-dc-comics-stargirl-tv-series/

Now we have audition tapes for the lead role of Courtney Whitmore read by Sienna Hubert-Ross and upcoming actress Olivia McKown. The tapes confirm that Wildcat will appear alongside Courtney in school. As well as Doctor Mid-Nite, Hourman and the entire Justice Society of America is a part of this universe. It’s unknown however if this will be the same Justice Society that appeared on Legends of Tomorrow (above).
:: Scene 1 ::
Stargirl – “Ok, your name was Stripesy?!”
Pat Dugan – “Because I wore stripes!”
Stargirl -“Yeah, a lot of them. Who came up with the costume?”
Pat Dugan – “…I did”
Stargirl – “And that name?”
Pat Dugan – “Me.”
Stargirl – “Didn’t anybody try to like brainstorm a little with you?  Help you out.”
Pat Dugan -“Why? What’s wrong with it?”
Stargirl – “It’s not exactly the most intimidating choice you could have made. I mean ‘Look out it’s that red and white striped superhero Stripesy’ “
Pat Dugan -“Sylvester never actually let me go out into the field with him.”
Stargirl – “Then what did you do?”
Pat Dugan -“Most of the time I waited in the car”
Stargirl – “Oh, like a getaway driver?!”
Pat Dugan – “He drove.”
Stargirl – “What.”
Pat Dugan – “I was his mechanic.”
Stargirl – “Well, did he at least pay you?
Pat Dugan – “Superheros don’t get paid. That’s the whole point. Do good because that is the right thing to do.”
Stargirl – “Well yeah that’s great Pat. There are benefits from being a superhero that you should have enjoyed like the rest of them right?”
Pat Dugan – “Like what?”
Stargirl – “I don’t know. A cool costume, an awesome codename. I mean look at this one. Doctor Mid-Nite, dark, mysterious. The dude in the hood. Hourman. He’s looking like he is having a blast.”
Pat Dugan – “I once saw him lift a Volkswagon Bug over his head.”
Stargirl – “So you are saying what? Those guys are cool cause they had powers?”
Pat Dugan – “Not just powers. They were the bravest men and women I’ve ever known. They were my friends. Truth is I was lucky they let me hang out with them.”
Stargirl – “…And they were lucky you could do their oil changes…”
Pat Dugan – “What?”
Stargirl – “Nothing. It’s just…if you ever decide to be a superhero again don’t just wait in the car. You got more to offer than that.”
Pat Dugan – “Like what?”
Stargirl – “….I’ll get back to you on that!”

:: Scene 2 ::
Stargirl – “Yolanda put on your mask!”
Yolanda Montez – “No! I’m hitting the eject button on this crazy plan we shouldn’t be doing this.”
Stargirl – “Of course we shouldn’t be doing this.”
Yolanda Montez -“I just said that.”
Stargirl – “Well, somebody has to do this.”
Yolanda Montez -“Yeah, but why us?”
Stargirl – “Because my neighbors are disappearing and I want to know why don’t you?”
Yolanda Montez – “I wanna know why but I also think it be cool leaving it a mystery. I love mysteries! Especially unsolved ones.”
Stargirl – “Come on. I need you.”
Yolanda Montez – “The staff picked you. I just found this suit.”
Stargirl – “No. I gave you that suit. And I could have given it to anyone.”
Yolanda Montez -“I was the only one there.”
Stargirl – “What are you gonna do tonight? Sit in your bedroom and sulk.”
Yolanda Montez -“That sounds like a perfect Friday evening! Yes.”
Stargirl – “Ok, last year you were class President. Organizing rallies and walk-outs. Really getting out there and trying to make things better. I mean you were the face of progress at Blue Valley High and now you want to hide in your room?”
Yolanda Montez -“You  would hide too if you were me.”
Stargirl – “Yola, don’t let that jerk take you away from you.”
Yolanda Montez -“It’s not his fault. It’s mine. I sent him those pictures”
Stargirl – “Ok, but he didn’t have to share them.”
Yolanda Montez -“But he did. And you can’t put that genie back into the bottle.”
Stargirl – “Put on the mask. Look you don’t have to be the face of Blue Valley High but you shouldn’t be embarrassed or ashamed either. You’ve done that for the way to long. Be the fierce badass I know that’s locked up inside of you. Be a Wildcat. “
[Puts on mask]
Yolanda Montez -“I can’t see out of this thing.”
Stargirl – “It’s ok! We will make some adjustments.”
Yolanda Montez -“Eye holes are on the top of my list.”
Stargirl – “Noted.”
Yolanda Montez -“It also smells like gym class.”
Stargirl – “We’ll wash it.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
On 7/28/2018 at 12:08 PM, tessaray said:

I would be interested to know if they are going the Netflix route of dropping all episodes at once, or the CBS All Access, where they run weekly.  

They have said that they might do either, depending on the particular show (and without reference to Stargirl in particular), but I've also seen that they plan to drop one original series episode a week starting next Friday with the premiere of Titans, so maybe they'll all be that way.  They also have an international distribution deal with Netflix for that show, which bodes well for Stargirl.

• Love 1

Joel McHale Cast as Starman in DC Universe’s ‘Stargirl’

The role is being described as “Golden Age Starman” and will be a recurring one for McHale.

A courageous and confident superhero, Starman is a member of the Justice Society of America. He wields a mysterious anti-gravity weapon called the cosmic staff and has a longtime sidekick named Stripesy, who is better known as Courtney Whitmore’s stepfather, Pat Dugan.

Edited by Dee
1 hour ago, Dee said:

He wields a mysterious anti-gravity weapon called the cosmic staff and has a longtime sidekick named Stripesy, who is better known as Courtney Whitmore’s stepfather, Pat Dugan.

Unless they're making a lot of changes to Starman's backstory, almost every part of that sentence is wrong.  It's a cosmic "rod," not "staff."  Stripesy was the sidekick to Star Spangled Kid, which was the first name Courtney used.  She only became Stargirl once the 90s Starman, Jack Knight, gave her the cosmic rod.

The JSA is filling in: Dr. Charles McNider, aka Dr. Mid-Nite, will be played by Henry "El-li-ott" Thomas.  I don't know if this is the official description or not, but EW says...

Also known as the introspective surgeon Dr. Charles McNider, Dr. Mid-Nite is a brilliant and forward-thinking medical pioneer, and a founding member of the JSA. With his trusty owl, he acts as the team’s resident doctor and detective. 

• Love 1

Yesterday, there were several new character descriptions leaked, and today we had three casting announcements.  They're too long to quote here, but I"m thinking that Tigress, Sportsmaster, and Dragon King align with the Millers and Dr. Draven from the first leak.  Still to come: Courtney's mother Barbara, Matt Kenner who will be a love interest for Courtney, a villain, "Scott Weber," described as

Scott is described as a vicious supervillain who is a telepath which has made him into a horrifying force to be reckoned with. He enjoys executing the evil and personal punishments that he inflicts upon his victims when Scott is inside their minds. However, “Scott” isn’t only a supervillain, but also a father to a son who he cares for deeply and has big dreams for.

Also an Arthur Merdock is in line, he is:

A male in his mid-30s who is a powerful man, both through physique, mind, and heart, he is a kind individual who is quick with his fists whenever it is necessary. That also allows him to be a great husband to his wife Ruth and a great father to his baby son Ben.

The folks at Stargirl.TV are speculating that Arthur might actually be Alan Scott, the Golden Age Green Lantern.

• Love 1

Well, I was wrong about Christopher James Baker's character.... Luke Wilson will be playing Pat Dugan, aka Stripsey...

Pat Dugan once went by the less-than-inspired superhero name of Stripesy, sidekick to a young hero known as the Star-Spangled-Kid and later Starman of the legendary Justice Society of America. Today, Pat has left his sidekick life behind him. But when his new step-daughter, Courtney Whitmore, discovers Pat’s secret past and takes on Starman’s legacy to become Stargirl, Pat is forced to come out of retirement and once again become a sidekick — to his step-daughter — this time piloting a 15-foot robot called Stripe.

@starri that does help answer your question about him being a sidekick for the Star Spangled Kid vs Starman.

The panel that revealed the suit also said that Stargirl won't premiere until 2020. Alas. But, that means there will likely be plenty of time to get better looks at the suit for cosplay ideas. If it's not actually the suit you want to see more of, Brec has an instagram.

'Stargirl EP Geoff Johns on His Personal Connection to the Family Superhero Series'

DC Universe's sixth scripted show, due next year, is a double-layered labor of love for executive producer Geoff Johns. Not only did the DC comic book Stargirl launch the writer's career back in 1999, but the heroine is based on his sister, who died in a 1996 plane crash.

That personal tie, Johns says, is why he's so proud to create a sunnier superhero show that appeals to the whole family. "You can sit down and watch it with the kids," he promises.

In the premiere, Courtney Whitmore (Brec Bassinger), a California transplant living in Nebraska with her recently remarried mom, Barbara (Amy Smart), discovers that her stepdad, Pat (Luke Wilson), has a, shall we say, interesting past — he used to be the sidekick to Starman (Joel McHale), a member of the now-defunct Justice Society of America.

After Courtney stumbles upon her stepdad's stash of old hero equipment, she picks up Starman's staff and takes on the mantle of crime fighter Stargirl. Courtney and Pat team up to battle her new town’s darkest elements and rebuild the JSA. That means fans will see a slew of DC Comics heroes and villains — including Doctor Mid-Nite, Bronze Tiger, Wildcat, and a 12-foot CGI Solomon Grundy.

They'll also get a lead character with a whole lotta heart, courtesy of Bassinger. "To me, Brec is Stargirl," raves Johns. "She's so positive and strong and smart and funny. She's just perfect."

‘Stargirl’ Episodes To Air On The CW Network & Its Digital Platforms After DC Universe Debut

The CW will broadcast each episode in primetime the day after it premieres on the DC Universe streaming service. The DC series, starring Brec Bassinger in the title role, is set to make its premiere on DC Universe in second quarter 2020, with new episodes released weekly. A premiere date will be announced later, along with scheduling information which night the show will air on the CW.

• Useful 1

I wonder where they will put it on the schedule?  Even if Legends takes no breaks at all, it will run through April.  So putting it in that spot would mean a May premiere and a mostly summer run.  I’m not sure where else they might put it though.

“The new DC Universe drama series Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore (series star Brec Bassinger, Bella and the Bulldogs, School of Rock, The Goldbergs) as she inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. This new drama reimagines Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in an unpredictable series.”

All the announcement on DC Universe is saying, is that it will premiere in the spring. But they did give an updated synopsis ( above, as my phone is giving me fits)! 

Brec's response to the big news:

19 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I wonder where they will put it on the schedule?  Even if Legends takes no breaks at all, it will run through April.  So putting it in that spot would mean a May premiere and a mostly summer run.  I’m not sure where else they might put it though.

The other thing is that they're saying SG will run on the CW the day after it drops on DCU. But DCU has dropped new episodes on Friday for everything but Young Justice, and the CW doesn't program Saturdays. And I certainly can't imagine them trying to program Saturdays in the summer.

Stargirl - The CW to Broadcast Episodes Day After Debut On DC Universe

The new DC Super Hero drama series, starring Brec Bassinger in the title role, is set to make its premiere on DC Universe in second quarter 2020, with new episodes released weekly on the first-of-its-kind digital experience.

Additionally, every episode of STARGIRL will be available to stream on The CW’s free digital platforms, following its broadcast on The CW Network, throughout the season.

On 11/22/2019 at 11:23 AM, MarkHB said:

Brec's response to the big news:

009-season1-episode13-bts2.jpg

While my recollections of Stargirl are always with straighter, even longer hair, I like this look. There's also an energy that rolls off her, just from the small sample, that feels right.

Promo! 

Updated link! Or looks like DC has withdrawn the promo for some reason.

Also, there are rumors going around that this show, as well as the new shows on HBO Max, will all connect to the Arrowverse. Just rumors, though.

• Love 1

I'm at work, so can't watch it. But the trailer was posted by the CW, so I guess it makes sense that they'd make it look like it's their show. I'd assume that DCU will make it look more like their show if/when they do any marketing for Stargirl.

Pedowitz comments about Stargirl from here: https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/with-arrow-ending-the-cw-readies-next-wave-of-superhero-series/

Also, The CW will expand its superhero shows into the summer months for the first time this year. In a partnership with the DC Universe streaming service, the network will air the new series Stargirl, about a high school sophomore who helps inspire a new generation of superheroes, one day after the episodes premiere on DC Universe.

“We think it enables us to continue the Arrowverse world in the summer and keep you entertained,” said Pedowitz, noting that the series will be “a slightly different flavor,” much like Legends of Tomorrow.

Like this year’s extended crossover, Stargirl is “an experiment. We will wait and see if the experiment works,” said Pedowitz. “But we are thrilled to have it.”

Spoiler for Crisis on Infinite Earths:

Spoiler

At the end of Hour 5, there is a montage of the "new Multiverse".  The first new Earth shown is Earth-2, and we briefly see Stargirl, ST.R.I.P.E., Dr. Mid-Nite, Hourman, and what appears to be Courtney's friend as Wildcat.

• Love 1