Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

No Passport Required

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Well I'm watching it!  Saw the one about Guyanese in Queens last night.  Made me really hungry.

Marcus always looks like he's wearing 15 sweaters under his coat.  Is he just cold all the time?

• Like 1

I watched a bit of the Guyanese one, changed the channel, and forgot to change it back.  I don't know what's up with Marcus but he does look over dressed.

I’ve seen all the episodes, except only part of the Chicago Mexican one, which I found not very interesting given how much we already see of Mexican culture and food in the US. The rest have been really interesting, especially the Guyanese one last night.

I do have to say I find Marcus’s wardrobe insanely distracting.

I really enjoyed that the New Orleans episode was about the Vietnamese community. I will always watch any food show about New Orleans, but most of the time, they cover the same ground, go to the same restaurants, interview the same chefs, etc. so it was really cool to see him show a different side of New Orleans.

I saw the Vietnamese in New Orleans episode also.  Then I watched an episode of Ugly Delicious with David Chang where he compared Vietnamese cooking in New Orleans to what's happening in Houston.  In Houston, he found that the Vietnamese immigrants were fusing their dishes with Cajun dishes (Vietcajun) which he found to be pushing the envelope far beyond what anyone is doing in New Orleans.  

7 hours ago, meep.meep said:

which he found to be pushing the envelope far beyond what anyone is doing in New Orleans.  

And then was a drunken asshole to the owners of the restaurant who didn’t want to do that combo.

For some reason Marcus frequently sounds like a valley girl to me.

On 8/2/2018 at 4:38 PM, meep.meep said:

I saw the Vietnamese in New Orleans episode also.  Then I watched an episode of Ugly Delicious with David Chang where he compared Vietnamese cooking in New Orleans to what's happening in Houston.  In Houston, he found that the Vietnamese immigrants were fusing their dishes with Cajun dishes (Vietcajun) which he found to be pushing the envelope far beyond what anyone is doing in New Orleans.  

I remember watching that Ugly Delicious episode a few months ago and while I support chefs blending influences, I also think it's fine when people want to cook the food they know. There's no rule that says you HAVE to do fusion food but David Chang seemed hell bent on convincing some of those people that they should. Yes, cooking, cuisine, and recipes continue to evolve over time but it's also okay to keep making traditional food. No one's insisting that British people should try making spotted dick with a peanut butter glaze and pinecone foam, so why should Vietnamese people have to make Vietcajun versions of their food?

My general rule of thumb is do what you want to do (as long as you aren't hurting anyone else) but don't insist that other people have to do it too. If David Chang wants to experiment with Vietcajun stuff, that's fine, but he shouldn't be so insistent on other people doing it.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I agree.  I just found the two different approaches to Vietnamese immigrant food in New Orleans very interesting.  Samuelson was happy to find authentic Vietnamese food there, while Chang wants nothing but fusion.  I don't know how he found the cook who took the Vietcajun stuff back to Vietnam.