Type keyword(s) to search

Black-ish in the Media-ish

• Start Topic

Alan Sepinwall wrote an article about three "comedies" who have tackled more dramatic material lately including Brooklyn 99, Barry and Black-ish.

When Laughter Fades, and Comedies Take a Turn for The Dramatic.

It put into words exactly why I've really disliked this arc.  Here's part of it but I think everything he says really hits on the problems with not only this arc but what it might mean for the future.

Dre Johnson is a good man whom the show usually sides with on the basic thrusts of its arguments, but he’s also always been portrayed as an insufferable manchild who’s forever slighting or outright insulting his patient and loving wife, without even realizing he’s doing it. So on paper, the idea that Dre and Bow might drift apart — as black-ish creator Kenya Barris and his own wife (Bow’s namesake) did during the show’s first season — doesn’t seem that outlandish. But until a few weeks ago, black-ish shrugged off all his behavior as ridiculousness on par with whatever insane thing Charlie just said, and even Bow’s annoyance with his behavior was written and played for laughs. It’s an incredibly jarring tonal shift for this stuff to suddenly have them on the verge of splitting up, particularly when this week’s episode, “Blue Valentime,” was peppered with new scenes of the spouses fighting in the past — where all the arguments and offenses are far more mild than the things Dre has said and done to her in prior seasons.

• Love 7

Very good article and I like how Alan brought up that it's based more on Kenya and Bow's marriage during the first year of the show. However, by then, the show was putting in so many long hours. Their kids were in their early teens and elementary school. So, yes the stress got to them, but even Kenya said it was building for a long time and everyone noticed. Here with Dre and Bow it is like zero to 100 with no build up. Even quoting how Charlie along with Dre and Bow's co-workers were played for laughs and never on anything. Now, it's all: "I hate you!" 

(edited)

ABC on the Unaired Black-ish Episode: The Kneeling Was ‘Not Really the Issue’

When ABC and Black-ish showrunner Kenya Barris agreed earlier this year not to air an episode of the ABC comedy that had been shot in November over “creative differences,” it was widely believed the disagreement was over a scene in the episode where Dre (Anthony Anderson) and Junior (Marcus Scribner) argue over the rights of athletes to kneel during the national anthem at football games.

But in a call with reporters on Tuesday, ABC Entertainment Group president Channing Dungey said there was a lot more to the disagreement than that. Co-written by Barris and Peter Saji, and directed by the showrunner, “Please, Baby, Please” featured Dre telling his baby son a bedtime story in which he discusses how he feels about multiple modern-day political and societal issues.

“We have long been supportive of Kenya and team tackling challenging and controversial issues in the show and we have always traditionally been able to come to a place creatively where we felt good about the story he was telling, even if we felt it was pushing some hot buttons,” Dungey said. “And he felt he was getting to share the story in the way it should be shared. I think with this particular episode, there were a number of different elements to the episode that we had a hard time coming to terms on. Much has been made of the kneeling part of it, which was not even really the issue. But I don’t want to get into that too much. At the end of the day, it was a mutual decision between Kenya and the network to not put the episode out and I think we all feel that was the best decision overall.”

Edited by Dee

I'd rather see "controversial" dialogue about politics and social issues than a depressing 4-episode "serious" story about a failing marriage when I'm looking for COMEDY. So far the show has handled politics well (IMO) and with the right mix of comedy and seriousness. The failing marriage story was a big bore for me. Renewed for a fifth season? I don't care.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I'd rather see "controversial" dialogue about politics and social issues than a depressing 4-episode "serious" story about a failing marriage when I'm looking for COMEDY. So far the show has handled politics well (IMO) and with the right mix of comedy and seriousness. The failing marriage story was a big bore for me. Renewed for a fifth season? I don't care.

The failing marriage story line really got way too depressing and brought out all the major flaws of the characters to the Nth degree. From Dre to Diane and even Pops and Ruby. I mean, wow! So, yeah time to leave that in the rear mirror and if Kenya is leaving the show. I hope the new show runners deal with the death of Bow's father more directly. That is a gold mine for stories and character use. From inheritance to having your parent gone. Even Ruby and Pops could get stories out of that with their own mortality. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Hollywood Reporter comedy actress roundtable with Molly Shannon (Divorce), Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel), Frankie Shaw (SMILF), Drew Barrymore (Santa Clarita Diet), Debra Messing (Will & Grace), Alison Brie (GLOW), and Tracee Ellis Ross (Black-ish):

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
(edited)

Emmy nominations!

Comedy Series
Lead Actor in a Comedy Series - Anthony Anderson
Lead Actress in a Comedy Series - Tracee Ellis Ross
Guest Actress in a Comedy Series - Wanda Sykes
Outstanding Contemporary Costumes - Juneteenth

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PumpkinLumpkin said:

I like this little actress and kudos to her for scoring a role on a top show like this, but why are they adding a Cousin Oliver when they've just recently added a baby?!?!

Edited by luckyroll3
  • Love 7
On 11/2/2018 at 10:35 AM, PumpkinLumpkin said:
Wallis will play Kyra, Dre’s young cousin who comes to stay with the family for a while after her mom can’t take care of her. 

So now they have: Dre and Bow, Junior and Jack, Diane, Zoey (still has her own room), Ruby and Gramps, plus the plot-device (aka as "the baby").  They need yet another person staying with them????

On 11/2/2018 at 12:08 PM, meep.meep said:

Maybe, and this is just wild speculation, one of the Johnson kids will get a friend.

She's a bit older than Jack and Diane and too young for Junior.

‘Black-ish’ Prequel Series Centered On Teen Rainbow Eyed By ABC

The current fifth season of Black-ish will include a Rainbow-centric episode. The episode, which is already casting to film in March, will feature flashbacks to a teen version of Tracee Ellis Ross’ character of Rainbow. No deals are done but I hear the episode could become a backdoor pilot for a potential prequel series. Black-ish executive producer Peter Saji is in talks to pen the episode, set in the 1980s-90s, which will revolve around Rainbow’s growing up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/18/2020 at 11:06 PM, paulvdb said:

And they changed their minds about that. ABC published a revised schedule with Black-ish now on Wednesdays at 8.30 pm.

I was surprised that they didn't try to keep it with Mix-ish since the have the same demographic. Sometime I thought they were coordinating their story lines. I am not sure if black-ish shares the same demographic as The Goldbergs and The Conners.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 5

Jenifer Lewis, who plays Ruby on Black-ish, was inducted into the 2021 Hollywood Walk of Fame and will be receiving a star in a ceremony which is currently on hold due to the corona virus pandemic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 6/23/2020 at 4:15 AM, AnimeMania said:

I was surprised that they didn't try to keep it with Mix-ish since the have the same demographic. Sometime I thought they were coordinating their story lines. I am not sure if black-ish shares the same demographic as The Goldbergs and The Conners.

This is where networks do their: "Let's see if the show can stand on it's own two feet." However, as I history has shown: "If it's working, don't break it." 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, readster said:
On 6/23/2020 at 5:15 AM, AnimeMania said:

This is where networks do their: "Let's see if the show can stand on it's own two feet." However, as I history has shown: "If it's working, don't break it." 

I don't watch The Goldbergs or The Conners and they have been on way too long for me to start, even if I did decide I wanted to start watching them. It would have been better to place a new Comedy there so the entry point wouldn't be so steep, if they were trying to attract new/different viewers to any of those shows. I guess that is why we have DVRs so that no matter where they put it, we will still be able to watch it.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, paulvdb said:

Censored ‘Black-ish’ Political Themed Episode To Now Air On Hulu, After Over 2 Years In Limbo At ABC

Over two years after ABC shelved a highly political episode of Black-ish over creative differences,” series creator Kenya Barris says the originally February 22, 2018 scheduled ‘Please Baby Please’ is finally seeing the light of day – on Hulu.

I watched it today. It’s a really strong episode and I still don’t understand why it was ‘controversial’. It ends on a message of hope which made me tear up because the issues addressed in the episode have not gotten better over the last two years.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, LBS said:

I watched it today. It’s a really strong episode and I still don’t understand why it was ‘controversial’. It ends on a message of hope which made me tear up because the issues addressed in the episode have not gotten better over the last two years.  

I am a 61 year old Nurse Unit Manager of an Older Persons Mental Health unit in Australia. We advocate for person centered health care and my staff come from everywhere in the world. I was last in the USA in December 2008 and the hope and joy was palpable. This episode made me sad  , Black lives matter as do First Nation people. 

• Love 6
20 hours ago, LBS said:

Completely agree with that, and I know this is so not the point, but as a grandma of a kid about Devonte’s age,  I was really concerned that he was sleeping in a crib with a blanket on him. And if I’m not mistaken, crib bumpers?? Aren’t those a big no-no now? As a doctor, wouldn’t Bow know  better?  

• Love 4

black-ish will air a hour long television special on Sunday, Oct. 4 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on ABC. The airdate and/or timing are subject to change due to the schedule of the NBA Finals. The official premiere date for Season Seven will be announced at a later date.

The first half hour will be live-action. In “Election Special Pt. 1,” (10:00-10:30 p.m. EDT), Junior is excited for his first time voting but discovers he has been purged from the voter polls so he does a deep dive into why – trying to understand the systems in place for voter registration. “Election Special Pt. 1” is directed by Oscar winner Matthew A. Cherry (“Hair Love”) and written by Eric Horsted.

The second half hour will be animated. In “Election Special Pt. 2,” (10:30-11:00 p.m. EDT), Dre’s colleague Stevens (Peter Mackenzie) makes an ill-advised decision to run for Congress, so Dre enlists his family’s help and campaigns against him but gets caught up with fundraising and private interest groups. “Election Special Pt. 2” is directed by Matthew A. Cherry and written by Graham Towers & Ben Deeb.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2020/09/black-ish-abc-to-air-special-election.html

• Useful 2

Another Black-ish Spin-off Old-ish in the Works With Laurence Fishburne and Jenifer Lewis

The Black-ish franchise continues to expand with another ‘Ish’ offshoot in the works. ABC has put in development Old-ish. It would be the third spinoff from Kenya Barris’ flagship series Black-ish, with Laurence Fishburne and Jenifer Lewis reprising their Black-ish roles, Deadline has confirmed.

Written by Barris, Old-ish follows Dre Johnson’s (Anthony Anderson) parents, Ruby (Lewis) and Earl (Fishburne), as they give love a second chance. When they move to a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood of Los Angeles, they’ll meet characters who represent the old and new faces of the community as they try to make it work as a married couple. Again.

Barris executive produces with Fishburne and Helen Sugland via Cinema Gypsy, along with Artists’ First’s E. Brian Dobbins and Anthony Anderson. Jenifer Lewis will serve as a producer. ABC Signature is the studio.

In addition to Black–ish, Old-ish would join spinoffs Grown-ish, which airs on Freeform, and ABC’s Mixed-ish.

The mothership Black-ish series is heading into its seventh season on ABC. It is set to air an election-themed, partially animated special ahead of the new season debut. Directed by Oscar winner Matthew A. Cherry, the back-to-back episodes will be broadcast on October 4 on ABC.

The Hollywood Reporter was first to report the new spinoff.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/black-ish-spinoff-old-ish-in-works-at-abc-1234573199/

• Useful 1

Honestly, both the election special and grandparent spin-off sound terrible.  I like both Ruby and Pops as supporting characters but I can't see either carrying a show.  You'd have to tone them done a lot to have those characters as leads and if you do that, then what's the point?  

I guess the point of the election special is to inform people about voting but if you haven't registered by this point to vote in one of the most contentious presidential elections this country's ever seen, is a sitcom episode really going to inspire you?  Also, isn't Junior at least twenty?  I know this would be his first presidential election but he would have been able to vote in local and state elections staring two years ago so why would this be his first time voting?

• Love 3

My problem with the Oldish idea is that so much of whatever humor Blackish has left these days is generated from how Bo and Dre interact with his parents. It felt like they reduced Dre's workplace screen time last season as well which is the other more consistently funny parts of the show.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

Old-ish would have been better if after Ruby's new found wealth, the Olds go yachting around America's wealthiest Yacht Clubs, encountering the humorous racism of the 1%. Them being stuck in one place meeting the same people seems less interesting.

• Love 2