Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Keirams

Are Female Babies the majority?

Not sure if this has been discussed already or is in my imagination, but it seems like most of the handmaids in June's region have given birth to female babies.  There were enough concerned wives to speak to the commanders about their daughters and I noticed that Eden's father said they had another daughter.  Not a lot of mention about boy babies.  Maybe there's nothing really to this but I wonder if they are playing out a long game for this series, maybe this will come out and may be an issue for such a patriarchal society.  

11 minutes ago, Keirams said:

Not sure if this has been discussed already or is in my imagination, but it seems like most of the handmaids in June's region have given birth to female babies.  There were enough concerned wives to speak to the commanders about their daughters and I noticed that Eden's father said they had another daughter.  Not a lot of mention about boy babies.  Maybe there's nothing really to this but I wonder if they are playing out a long game for this series, maybe this will come out and may be an issue for such a patriarchal society.  

Well from an evolutionary point of view, if something is going “wrong” with a group of mammals you’re going to have more healthy females than males. 1 healthy woman for 10 healthy men will never be a population explosion, 10 healthy women for 1 healthy man always will be. Probably the reason why premature girl babies thrive better than premature male babies (on average). 

In these sorts of societies women are second class citizens but they are needed and wanted- it’s multiple male children high status men are not interested in as they grow up to be competition for young women. Think of the “Lost Boys” in the FLDS cults who are kicked out so the nasty old men can have all the young women to themselves. 

Weve had 2 health babies born in show, Angela and Holly Nicole, I don’t think them both being girls means anything yet but perhaps. I do think that many parents (fathers and mothers) think of what oppression means once they have a child of their own. Having daughters will make the wives question Gilead society more, if they are more discreet they won’t lose a finger like Serena. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Well from an evolutionary point of view, if something is going “wrong” with a group of mammals you’re going to have more healthy females than males. 1 healthy woman for 10 healthy men will never be a population explosion, 10 healthy women for 1 healthy man always will be. Probably the reason why premature girl babies thrive better than premature male babies (on average). 

In these sorts of societies women are second class citizens but they are needed and wanted- it’s multiple male children high status men are not interested in as they grow up to be competition for young women. Think of the “Lost Boys” in the FLDS cults who are kicked out so the nasty old men can have all the young women to themselves. 

Weve had 2 health babies born in show, Angela and Holly Nicole, I don’t think them both being girls means anything yet but perhaps. I do think that many parents (fathers and mothers) think of what oppression means once they have a child of their own. Having daughters will make the wives question Gilead society more, if they are more discreet they won’t lose a finger like Serena. 

I hear you and agree on the science of it, I'm just wondering if maybe they are planting little seeds for a future narrative.  

• Like 1

Just now, Keirams said:

I hear you and agree on the science of it, I'm just wondering if maybe they are planting little seeds for a future narrative.  

Yes yes. Given the show may run for multiple seasons that’s a good possibility. 

I seriously doubt females are any kind of majority (other than what we have now.)  Female babies face more future horrors in Gilead, so I think that's why they chose the few they've shown.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Umbelina said:

I seriously doubt females are any kind of majority (other than what we have now.)  Female babies face more future horrors in Gilead, so I think that's why they chose the few they've shown.

I agree - I think it's purely for storytelling reasons. They may opt to retcon some sort of reason later, but the biggest reason is for the purpose of storytelling.

• Like 1

The stakes are higher for daughters or any female babies born.  If both of June's children are boys, no, you still don't want them to be raised believing in the misogynistic garbage Gilead is selling, but they're the likely "sons" of commanders.  There's a certain amount of protection built into the system for them.  Without more to go on, I'm inclined to think that's all it is.

We have seen boys, Omar's son and the surrogate son Moira birthed.  And in the A Woman's Place episode with the ridiculous subplot of maybe trading handmaids to Mexico, we also get that scene where Gilead parades in all their successes of the handmaid system like little trophies past the women who were forced to birth and relinquish them.  I could only find one photo from that scene, but you can see a number of boys in the shot.

5b5d10ad90909_childrenhandmaidstale.thumb.png.35f92484b965cc69b93dc24ec93c2b43.png

• Like 1