Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

S01.E10: Bedwomb

12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Apologies if it sounded like I was accusing you or anyone of anything, really didnt mean to.

No, no Tennisgurl, nothing you said offended me -- I think the words "far right anti-feminist" triggered my rant button --it's  very touchy. :)

11 hours ago, Token said:

I started out loving this show, because it resonated so much with me, and then it quickly went to shit.  I don't identify with Plum at all anymore.  She is a loser.  And it's not because she's fat, it's because she's just a selfish and unlikable idiot.  She doesn't even have a good sob story, like the other members of Jennifer.

I know, I was right with Plum while she was deciding not to have the surgery, but then she did the dumb graffiti thing, I was glad she stood up to Kitty, but surprised she expected to still work for her.  Time after time she learned something important but then acted on it in a stupid way, like giving fetish man a second date. What finally turned me completely off her was the giggling, overly pleased way she acted with the Jennifer women.  Sort of like the unpopular girl who's been grudgingly allowed to hang with the popular girls.

9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I learned that women are basically either desperate and sad because they cant get a man, manipulative and power hungry because they have to fight past the men, or are murderous terrorists because they've been abused by evil men. Basically, every woman's life totally revolves around men. 

Well said.  We waited for Plum to become confident in herself and she just became a group follower, seeking Jennifer's  approval instead of men's approval, but still centered around men.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I learned that women are basically either desperate and sad because they cant get a man, manipulative and power hungry because they have to fight past the men, or are murderous terrorists because they've been abused by evil men. Basically, every woman's life totally revolves around men. 

Agree, and as a man, I am driven nuts by that kind of logic. It's clear than many men are thoughtless and don't realize it, some men are misogynists and an even smaller number of men allow that hate to become abusive. We ALL can be better men (and yes, some should be in jail).

But aside from forcible abuse, none of that has to define what women do. Women can make their own decisions. And before someone says, "but men have the power," it is worth knowing that while some men do indeed have the power, many other men don't. For instance, I don't golf, never cared for it, and because I don't, I have been left out and blocked in my career by men with power who view golf as a prerequisite for "knowing who you truly are, to move up." And yet my decisions are my own, and don't revolve around those men. Does it hurt me career wise? Yes. If it fair? No. But it's my choice, and they can play golf, run the world and F off. I define my own happiness. I do benefit from being a man, no doubt. I also face similar challenges.

As for Plum, she doesn't seem to know what her happiness is. It started as losing weight, and she realized that wouldn't fix her life. But also, she seemed to think that a second date with a weirdo, a fixation on an ex-cop who has admitted he is using her, telling off someone who has been a friend because one time he said she should think about losing weight for her health and induction into a murderous cult were all good ideas that could help her fix her life. Clearly these are not good choices. She's supposed to be smart.  I hope she is learning something. I am not.

Edited by Ottis
  • Like 9

omg. what happened to this show. after 10 minutes of the gang in black weirdness , i was just bored and lost. i ff'd most of it and deleted it from my dvr. could have been a good show but the underground confusing stuff going on, the characters you just don't care for..well. i'm out. i'd like to see the lead actress in something better than this mess.

• Like 4

On 7/31/2018 at 6:44 AM, JudyObscure said:

I had looked forward to this show so much, I thought it was going to explore weight issues, fat acceptance, sexism and ageism.  I thought it would expose the lies of the billion dollar diet industry, properly ridicule the superficial world of fashion, and makes us laugh.  Now I'm just glad it's over.

Sing it, sister. That's why I watched in spite of Marti Noxon. Unfortunately, she lived down to my expectations.

• Like 4

It took me 3 days to get through this episode - I kept pausing and forgetting about it. Overall, I found it really boring and too unbelievable. Seriously, I felt like Plum left Calliope House and 2 seconds later she had made contact with Jennifer and was off to a secret location, inducted and living there. So what happened to her apartment? Her life? Then she's just...out and then back in?  And I guess I missed what was going on with Leta? She was normal, and then... going crazy? And Kitty wants to align with Jennifer because she figures it will help her keep control? Huh?

I'm certain I missed some stuff because I truly wasn't engaged. The first 8'ish episodes were interesting to me - as I've said before, I don't mind vigilante / revenge justice stories - but this shift in the last 2 episodes was too jarring and out of left field for me. Like they had too much to wrap up so they crammed it all in. 

• Like 1

I liked the first half of this series and was *almost* going to recommend it to friends, but thankfully waited to see how it would pan out. I watched, so they didn’t have to. I agree with so many of you who started out excited that there may be a show to explore feminism, body issues, the tyranny of impossible beauty standards and the media’s role in perpetuating them, etc. Instead, we ended up with this crap. I won’t be back if there is a second season.

• Like 7

The most hilarious part of this episode was when I realized that all the women in Jennifer were using names of Disney princesses as their aliases (Moana, Sofia, Belle, Jasmine, Tiana, Elena). Now it makes one of them calling Plum "princess" in the previous episode seem slightly less snotty.

Sofia's story reminded me of what many of the girls who were assaulted by Larry Nassar said - the people who they reported the abuse to said that they must have misunderstood, so on top of being violated, they were basically patted on the head and told that they were too dumb to know what assault really is. As Sofia said, the actual assault is bad enough, but being treated like that afterward just makes it even worse.

• Like 5

On 8/4/2018 at 6:50 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The most hilarious part of this episode was when I realized that all the women in Jennifer were using names of Disney princesses as their aliases (Moana, Sofia, Belle, Jasmine, Tiana, Elena). Now it makes one of them calling Plum "princess" in the previous episode seem slightly less snotty.

Actually it first shown last episode. When Plum grabs the sleeping bag labelled princess, I saw the other Disney names written on the other bags.

I hope that this show hits its stride during its second season. It has a lot going for it—I think the casting is strong for the most part and there is promise, but it’s missing some heart, some spark. And I don’t think ten episodes was enough to tell a cohesive story and sustain the momentum of Plum’s evolution. 

And I want Plum to return to her life, while keeping the self acceptance she seemed to have. Jennifer was also more interesting before all was revealed.