Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Bedwomb

I liked the first half of this series and was *almost* going to recommend it to friends, but thankfully waited to see how it would pan out. I watched, so they didn’t have to. I agree with so many of you who started out excited that there may be a show to explore feminism, body issues, the tyranny of impossible beauty standards and the media’s role in perpetuating them, etc. Instead, we ended up with this crap. I won’t be back if there is a second season.

• Love 7

The most hilarious part of this episode was when I realized that all the women in Jennifer were using names of Disney princesses as their aliases (Moana, Sofia, Belle, Jasmine, Tiana, Elena). Now it makes one of them calling Plum "princess" in the previous episode seem slightly less snotty.

Sofia's story reminded me of what many of the girls who were assaulted by Larry Nassar said - the people who they reported the abuse to said that they must have misunderstood, so on top of being violated, they were basically patted on the head and told that they were too dumb to know what assault really is. As Sofia said, the actual assault is bad enough, but being treated like that afterward just makes it even worse.

• Love 5
On 8/4/2018 at 6:50 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The most hilarious part of this episode was when I realized that all the women in Jennifer were using names of Disney princesses as their aliases (Moana, Sofia, Belle, Jasmine, Tiana, Elena). Now it makes one of them calling Plum "princess" in the previous episode seem slightly less snotty.

Actually it first shown last episode. When Plum grabs the sleeping bag labelled princess, I saw the other Disney names written on the other bags.

I hope that this show hits its stride during its second season. It has a lot going for it—I think the casting is strong for the most part and there is promise, but it’s missing some heart, some spark. And I don’t think ten episodes was enough to tell a cohesive story and sustain the momentum of Plum’s evolution. 

And I want Plum to return to her life, while keeping the self acceptance she seemed to have. Jennifer was also more interesting before all was revealed.