Type keyword(s) to search

Samantha Brown’s Places To Love - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Hmm, South Korea episode could have used more practical info. like the more boring which attractions to see and which foods to try.

Sam had the benefit of people who spoke English willing to talk to her on camera and guide her to the drinking custom and Karaoke.  But South Korea is relatively unknown to American audiences as a tourist destination and Americans who visit there will mostly not have English-speaking locals to show them around and take them on a pub crawl, at least not without paying them for their time.

The observation that there are modern and antique buildings next to each other can apply to most bigger Asian and European cities so it's hardly unique to Seoul.

By now she's been doing travel shows for so long that you don't see the same enthusiasm and sense of wonder that she showed in Passport to Europe.

Even if a place is new to her, she's older and maybe a bit more jaded so she's mainly preoccupied with knocking it out and getting back home ASAP?

SEASON FINALE!

S2.E13: Central North Island, New Zealand

Natural beauty abounds in New Zealand’s north island. She explores Lake Taupo by kayak and stops off for a soak in the hot springs. At Te Puia, Samantha experiences Pohutu, the largest geyser in the Southern Hemisphere. She also meets Katz, who heads the woodworking school of the New Zealand Māori Arts and Crafts Institute, and talks the struggle to keep the culture alive. The Waimangu Volcanic Valley is filled with vast thermal activity and an active volcano. Traveling by helicopter, Samantha gets a firsthand view of White Island, an active volcano. All this and more make the New Zealand’s North Island a place to love.

Original air date: 3/27/19

On 2/19/2019 at 5:17 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see more of the cruise/boat part of her trip through France and Germany. I really enjoyed seeing the restoration work at the cathedral. And I loved seeing her use the old printing press. Man, it used to take a lot of work to create a book! Hell, it took a lot of work to create just one page.

Samantha seems more excited than usual, says she’s wanted to tour Europe on a river and is finally gett8ng to do it after two decades of traveling.

She ends her breathless preamble to this episode convincingly with “its good to be back in Europe”

Then the opening montage runs and you remember that one of the sponsors of the show is a river cruise company.

Was she playing up her enthusiasm to promote the product of a sponsor rather than being genuinely excited about this destination?

The show doesn’t mention the cruise company at all or feature she ship.  In fact there is only one scene of Samantha on the boat and that is to show the sweeping scenery in the Rhine Gorge because you really don’t see the ship.

So yeah, she does seem to genuinely  like the towns, the winery and the river.  She sashays in the square in Strasbourg and seems carried away at other times.

So she isn’t jaded that every town has a cathedral and a castle.  It was interesting to learn they had stone sculptors basically working their entire careers to rebuild that old cathedral by hand.  I guess tourism has replaced royalty for keeping these Old World trades alive.

I checked out the webpage for this episode where it does mention that she was on the cruise offered by the sponsor of the show.  What’s more, there’s a link to a Danube River cruise in July which she is on as well.  Maybe she will be filming for a future episode or will it be one of these celebrity cruises where she has to do some glad-handing with the customers of the show sponsor?

I think these are absolutely interesting destinations, the towns along the Rhine.  But these European river cruises are very expensive.  For instance, the Danube River cruise is $3749 per person, not including some fees!

Even if it included all meals and excursions, that’s over $500 a day per person.  You can get very nice hotels and have some great meals for $500 per person, probably have money left over for wine tasting with a nice charcuterie and cheese platter at that winery overlooking the vineyards on the Rhine.

I know many people who have taken river cruises, and as long as water levels aren't too high or low (so you have to be bused to the next town), they love them. Yes, they are expensive, but you only have unpack once, and you get to see wonderful scenery floating down the river. As someone who did 6 cities in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland last year in about 3 weeks, only unpacking once has it's appeal. And I love boat travel. We've taken the Queen Mary 2 to Europe the last 3 years. So nice to be pampered.

• Love 1

Well the description seems to show everything is included, all meals, tours, including bike tours.

Even Internet, which is usually extra.

Maybe it's more of a luxury product than someone searching the Internet hotels in the area and seeing what costs add up to.  If the state rooms are luxurious, maybe it's justified.

It does look amazing in the commercials as this stately building comes into view while passengers on the boat are all looking on with anticipation.  That seems to be the special sauce of these river cruises, sailing by this magnificent scenery.

As far as tours being included, I think it depends. I have a friend who is taking Viking from Amsterdam to Budapest end of April. She booked a tour for extra based on my absolutely being enchanted with Salzburg last year (and no Sound Of Music tours were involved, just the city).

On 3/25/2019 at 3:14 AM, scrb said:

By now she's been doing travel shows for so long that you don't see the same enthusiasm and sense of wonder that she showed in Passport to Europe.

Even if a place is new to her, she's older and maybe a bit more jaded so she's mainly preoccupied with knocking it out and getting back home ASAP?

I don't see this at all. She seems absolutely in love with and enthusiastic about all the places she visits and loves.

And congrats to Samantha for her 1st Emmy - in the travel and adventures series as Outstanding Host. Well deserved.

• Love 1

She got into the dancing on the Christchurch episode.

Seems like they seek out some attractions off the beaten path.  That Dance O Mat thing wouldn’t be the first thing people seek out.

Be interesting to see the things which don’t make the final cut in these episodes.

By now, they have more episodes of this show than her other shows, like Passport to Europe.  I guess PBS figures there’s room for a prettier face travel host on the network than Rick Steves, who’s such a staple on the network?

Could also be why they seem to seek out lesser known attractions or things to do in many of these destinations.

Oregon RV episode feature Sam and her husband taking their two young children on an RV to different places in Oregon, mostly rural.

She more or less maintained her chipper on camera persona, though the kids were running kind of wild at times.  But a lot of the time she offloaded the kids with the husband while she talked to different local people.

She cooked breakfast for her family in the RV and then took long sips of coffee.

Do they have nannies, especially when she’s away filming the show?

Does she look forward to getting away to do the shows?

S3.E1: Budapest

Everyone has heard of Budapest, but few can grasp its magnificence. It’s a captivating city with a confluence of history, art and music. As one of Europe’s largest cities, it boasts an exuberant energy that must be felt to be believed. It’s a powerhouse of grand experiences that range from the worldly to the local, from the deeply emotional to the joyous.

Budapest is about classical music, and Samantha dives deep into its history with world-class violinist Joshua Bell. Of course, there’s also Hungarian Goulash to be sampled, mineral pools to be discovered, historic buildings to be seen and a live performance of gypsy violinists to take in.

Samantha takes in the stunning views overlooking the entire city atop Fisherman’s Bastion on the Buda side of the Danube.

Sam's guide to Budapest

Original air date: 1/8/20

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

My brother in law really liked Budapest so I was interested to see where Sam went. The buildings look straight out of a storybook and are so picturesque. The cafe she visited was just gorgeous. I was surprised to see Joshua Bell pop up! I always find it really interesting to hear from people like him who perform internationally, especially when they talk about the difference in the audience in different places. It sounds like I need to go to Budapest to see a show with an attentive and appreciative audience. One of the last times I saw a Broadway musical, the people sitting behind me were chatting for the entire show.

We've taken the Queen Mary 2 to Europe from NYC 3 times. I love it (hate to fly). We're thinking on our next crossing, after visiting London for a few days, chunneling to Amsterdam, visiting there before taking a river cruise to Budapest. We've never done a river cruise, but I have friends who love them. This episode has  made up my mind that this will be our next trip.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

@chessiegal I bet Sam would be thrilled if she knew that she inspired you to visit Budapest! When are you planning to go? I can’t wait to hear about it afterward so please report back!

Not sure if it's too late to do it this year. We learned the hard way not to heed Rick Steves advice not to go south of the Alps in summer. We were in Florence and Rome in June with mid-90s temps every day. The QM2 goes back and forth across the Atlantic from about April to September. If it's too late for this year, maybe next spring. We've used a travel agent recommended to me by friends who does a great job booking the QM2 plus hotels and trains. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to book this trip.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Not sure if it's too late to do it this year. We learned the hard way not to heed Rick Steves advice not to go south of the Alps in summer. We were in Florence and Rome in June with mid-90s temps every day. The QM2 goes back and forth across the Atlantic from about April to September. If it's too late for this year, maybe next spring. We've used a travel agent recommended to me by friends who does a great job booking the QM2 plus hotels and trains. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to book this trip.

Wow, mid-90s is definitely too hot for me to be comfortable on vacation (honestly, it's too hot for me to be comfortable at home because I don't have air conditioning). Mr. EB and I are thinking of going to Italy in the next year or so. We will definitely keep that in mind when we start planning! It's always ideal to hit that sweet spot between the rainy season and blazing hot summer whenever you travel.

S3.E2: The Florida Keys and Key West

A long string of coral islands stretching beautifully across the sea, the Florida Keys ultimately forms the southernmost tip of the continental U.S. Though it’s considered the land of the Eternal Vacation, there’s a passionate community here that seeks to protect all the things we as travelers want from it – from shimmering waters, to vibrant marine life, as well as its unique culture. People may come here to party, but they stay for so much more. 

Samantha kicks off her Keys adventure with a local ethnic food tour in Key West. From there, she visits the summer home of President Harry S. Truman, takes a literary tour past the home of Tennessee Williams and then makes a special visit to the Turtle Hospital in Marathon. She then learns about lionfish hunting and what this invasive species is doing to the local reef systems and how they are trying to fix it.

Samantha takes a local food tour in Key West starting off with authentic Cuban food at El Siboney, then heads to the historic Speakeasy Inn & Rum Bar for a rum runner, the house specialty.

Samantha's guide to the Florida Keys

Original air date: 1/25/20

The closest I've been to the Florida Keys is Sarasota aka not very close at all. But what's not to like? Beautiful weather, palm trees, and the ocean!

The food at El Siboney looked delicious. The book nerd in me likes that there are also literary and historic sites to visit in Key West. Loved the segment about the turtle rescue place. The lionfish hunting was interesting. It's a good thing they taste good so that they aren't going to waste.

S3.E3: Top of South Island, New Zealand

In New Zealand, jaw-dropping beauty sits around every corner. Remote beaches and far-flung lands are commonplace, and yet exceptional. It’s a place where people who live here today still feel tied to ancestors who arrived over 800 years ago. That said, the locals eagerly share their unique culture with anyone arriving with an open mind and heart. It’s truly a destination known as a place of belonging. 

Samantha’s adventures on the South Island, New Zealand include a boat ride expedition through the Marlborough Sounds, a walk along Awaroa Beach, and a helicopter tour to the peak of Mount Olympus where the Lord of the Rings was filmed.

Samantha bicycles through the sprawling Brancott Estate vineyards, which was the first to grow and bottle Sauvignon Blanc in Marlborough, and then visits the te Pā Family Vineyards, where she learns of its 800-year old Maori roots.

Samantha's guide to the Top of South Island

Original air date: 1/22/20

As much as I love nature and quiet and getting away from people, I don't think I could live so remotely that my mail gets delivered three times a week by boat. Every part of New Zealand looks breathtakingly gorgeous though.

Although mussels aren't my favorite seafood, all of that food looked really good. I got a little nervous when Samantha decided to take her glove off to shuck hers. I imagine the guy teaching her was thinking, "Please don't stab yourself on camera!"

I found myself wondering if the four kids liked being so far away from everything but once the mom said that they work at the mussel restaurant, I figured they must get enough of people there all day.

S3.E4: Sonoma

A road trip along the Sonoma coastline enables Samantha to learn about sustainability efforts along the Pacific coast and what to look for off the beaten path. From there it’s a visit to the Charles M. Schulz Museum where Samantha talks “Peanuts” with Charles’ widow, Jeannie. She also gets to meet a local wine maker’s family and learn about the famous Sonoma wine.

Samantha takes to the Sonoma coastline on a road trip stopping off at various beaches and talks to a local guide about sustainability in Sonoma, the Pacific coast and what to look for off the beaten path.

Samantha's guide to Sonoma

Original air date: 1/29/20

The Sonoma episode was fun to watch. I liked that we got to see such a wide variety of things: the beautiful coastline, the carnivorous plants, heirloom apple orchards, an unexpected safari, a dairy farm, and the first winery opened by a former migrant worker. Even though I live in California, I've never been to Sonoma. Honestly, I assumed that it was all wineries and therefore of no interest to me since I don't drink wine. It looks like I need to plan a trip!

S3.E5: British Virgin Islands

Samantha goes sailing around the historic British Virgin Islands with Capt. Lisa Roland and learns sailing essentials while at sea.  During her island visit, Samantha plants coconut trees in Spring Bay, hikes through the Baths, (a Caribbean natural wonder), and experience freshly made conch ceviche from “Conch Island”.  Finishing off her trip, Samantha and Capt. Lisa snorkel at one of BVI’s top snorkel sites, the Indians.

Samantha's guide to the British Virgin Islands

Original air date: 2/5/20

I was not at all surprised that the British Virgin Islands were gorgeous. I love when Samantha shows us beautiful places and fun things to do, but I also appreciate when she draws attention to things like Seeds of Love and talks to locals about the after effects of hurricanes.

One thing I really like about Samantha Brown is that she isn't afraid to show her real self so I totally cracked up when she was shrieking every time Chef Sam tossed another lobster up.

S3.E6: Dallas

It’s all about food and art in Dallas. Samantha samples some of the best barbecue in town at Pecan Lodge, and some imaginative chocolate at Dude, Sweet Chocolate. Then it’s off to explore the downtown Arts District strolling through Klyde Warren Park and enjoying the powerful sculptures at Nasher Sculpture Center.  Of course, her visit to Dallas also includes special gift from local artist Travis Austin – a custom designed cowboy hat!

Samantha Brown's guide to Dallas

Original air date: 2/12/20

I've never been to Dallas but I have some friends who live there so I was interested to see where Samantha went. I know barbeque is expected but I will never say no to seeing another delicious place to eat!

And then to make things even better, she went to a chocolate shop - yum! Dude, Sweet is exactly the kind of local place I love to visit when I travel. Bonus that the owner will let you try anything in the shop before buying it!

I also loved the bookstore/bar and that they really encourage people to connect with each other. I totally cracked up when the owner said they turn off the wifi for evening events. Honestly, that only affects the cheapasses who refuse to buy a phone plan that includes service, but I still approve of this effort to get people to put their phones away for an hour and talk to each other.

When I was younger, I always wanted to get souvenirs when I traveled. Now that I'm older, I don't feel the need to buy something to commemorate a trip. I'd rather get something that I REALLY like instead of a cheesy t-shirt or shot glass. For that reason, I liked Samantha's idea to buy a custom hat in theory. But I don't think having a guy glue a feather onto the band and then sign his name on the brim really counts as a custom hat.

S3.E7: New Hampshire

Visiting her hometown state, Samantha arrives on Lake Winnipesaukee aboard the M/S Mount Washington and goes straight to Funspot, the world’s largest arcade.  From here, she continues her tour of the Lakes Region by taking a loon-spotting cruise on Squam Lake. Samantha concludes her trip on a Cog Railway ride to the summit of Mount Washington.

Samantha's guide to New Hampshire

Original air date: 2/19/20

S3.E8: Phoenix

At the Desert Botanical Garden, Samantha takes in the stunning beauty of wildflowers and blooming cactus along the Sonoran Desert trail.  Then it’s a visit to the popular Breadfruit & Rum Bar, where Samantha samples unique Jamaican dishes and carefully concocted rum cocktails.  From there, Samantha heads to the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Taliesin West, which served as Frank Lloyd Wright’s breath-taking winter home and architectural school.

Samantha's guide to Phoenix

Original air date: 2/26/20

I've never been to a foundry before so I loved seeing the process of making bells. It's crazy to think that today they use all kinds of protective equipment, but back in ye olden days they didn't have all of face masks and assorted protective gear.

(edited)

S3.E9: Vienna

Samantha begins her visit to Vienna at the 3rd Man Museum, where she learns about  the city’s fascinating history. From there she visits the Imperial Library, part of the Hapsburg history of the city. A boat ride on the Old Danube River allows Samantha to take in the sights of this historic city before hiking up the hills and sampling wine with views of the city below.

Samantha's guide to Vienna

Original air date: 3/4/20

(edited)
11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Visiting her hometown state, Samantha arrives on Lake Winnipesaukee aboard the M/S Mount Washington and goes straight to Funspot, the world’s largest arcade.  From here, she continues her tour of the Lakes Region by taking a loon-spotting cruise on Squam Lake. Samantha concludes her trip on a Cog Railway ride to the summit of Mount Washington.

Samantha's guide to New Hampshire

Original air date: 2/19/20

That was interesting the lake looked nice and so did that resort.

But I checked it out, rooms start at $200 a night now but over $400 in the summer.

They're not posh rooms either.  But they have packages with champagne and such.

The veranda looked great and I can see the appeal of people in nearby cities visiting the place for golf and relaxation on weekends.

Must be the only way they get that much in rates.

Because while it looked great, you can go to Switzerland and other places in the Alps with even more spectacular scenery for much less than $400 a night in the summer.

Obviously air fare boosts the costs of the trip but really surprising to see the hotel rates, even though the rooms are nothing special.

That could be nice for Sam to delve into, the costs of some of these places.  Of course the show is sponsored by a river cruise company which has very expensive packages.  And a lot of the PBS viewers who'd watch these travel shows have high income.

But Rick Steves is more budget-oriented and he's huge on PBS.

Edited by scrb

I'm sure Dallas is fine if you live within a couple of hours drive or happen to go there for business and you extend the trip by a day or two.

But certainly not the big tourist destination compared to other places.

It's interesting that there's a mixture of international and domestic destinations.  A lot of the places seem like really more weekend retreats, for people within driving distance, while  obviously the destinations on other continents require planning and more expense.

I want to say Samantha chose the name of the show because she didn't want to be tied to a particular continent or region or them.  But I don't know, the episodes seem a mish mash and random.

I can understand her not wanting to tread over previous concepts or themes but again, to bring up Rick Steves again, he's made a career out of milking Europe.

1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

Shoot, we pay over $200 a night for nothing special rooms when we visit family in St. Petersburg FL and New Orleans. 

I get it.

A couple of years ago, I wanted to visit Banff and Jasper.  But I could not believe the hotel rates.  I couldn't find anything under $500 a night and as far as I could tell, these were motel rooms more or less.

This was like the 150th anniversary of Canada and they waived the fees to all their national parks.  Plus the Canadian dollar had plummeted so apparently a lot of Americans and Europeans were visiting.

I believe I ended up going to Switzerland or Austria that summer.  Aside from airfare and probably meals in Switzerland, I paid like 1/3 or 1/4th the hotel rates in Banff.

I mean that place in NH, I wouldn't mind visiting.  But I don't know if I would have to drive a couple of hours after flying into NY from CA.

Certainly resorts where you're spending most of your time, as opposed to mostly a place to sleep, would be worth paying more for.

But I don't golf and you can only sit on that veranda so long.

Vienna is gorgeous! As a bibliophile, I loved the Hapsburg library. I would love to spend all day there!

The music museum looked interesting too. I totally appreciate that they have added interactive things like conducting the symphony and creating a musical piece to help engage visitors and keep it from being just a bunch of artifacts.

Going out on the Danube in one of those boats looked so fun. And being able to walk to a winery from town is really cool (I say that as a non-wine drinker!).

(edited)

S3.E10: Corning, New York and the Southern Finger Lakes

At the Corning Museum of Glass, Samantha starts off her visit to Crystal City by learning about the history of glass and why Corning is the center of the glass world.  Heading to Bath, Samantha goes on a cemetery tour, get introduced to “English-cut” donuts, and discovers why the Glenn H. Curtiss Museum is a little-known American treasure.

Samantha's guide to Corning & the Finger Lakes

Original air date: 3/11/20

I was interested in the Corning episode because I watched Blown Away (a glass blowing competition show on Netflix) so I knew the Corning Museum of Glass was there. I'm glad they showed so many of the beautiful glass sculptures that are housed there.

I wish they had explained what made those donuts so unique. I mean, it's a donut with chocolate so I would definitely eat it but I just wanted to know what made them different from regular donuts.

The aviation museum looked really interesting!

S3.E11: Auckland

Samantha sails Auckland Harbor aboard the 2007 America’s Cup winning Team New Zealand sailboat and talks with Peter Lester, a former cup competitor, coach and current sailing commentator. From there, Samantha heads to Piha Beach where she chats with teen surfing champion, Gabby Paul, before taking to the water boarding waves herself.

Samantha's guide to Auckland

Original air date: 3/18/20

S3.E12: Maine

Samantha takes a road trip to Bar Harbor, enjoys breath-taking views from Acadia National Park and takes a cruise through Bass Harbor soaking in the sights of Desert Island and Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse.  Back on the main land, Samantha learns about “junk sculpting” from steampunk sculptor Ernie Abdelnour, samples the house specialty at Flo’s Hot Dogs, and wraps up her visit at a lobster picnic with her family at Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier.

Samantha's guide to Maine

Original air date: 3/25/20

• Love 1

Travel Channel app. has Passport to Europe for on demand streaming.

Also has something called 50/50 which was a kind of game show in which Samantha was one of the hosts apparently.

• Love 1

S3.E14: Miami

At Wynwood Walls, Samantha tours this unique outdoor destination featuring huge, colorful street murals by artists from around the globe.  In Little Haiti, Samantha meets Chef BJ and samples his tasty Haitian style BBQ.  Launching from the Miccosukee reservation, Samantha takes an airboat tour through the heart of the Everglades where she discovers the indigenous wildlife, and learns the history of the area.  Getting out on the open water she sails Biscayne Bay with Harry Horgan from Shake A Leg, a group that helps children and adults with disabilities experience sailing.

Samantha's guide to Miami

Original air date: 4/1/20

I enjoy Samantha's shows, especially now that we're traveling virtually. However, a few weeks ago, as we made the decision to cancel a trip to NOLA to visit grandkids because of the pandemic, she posted on her Instagram account, encouraging people to travel in the US, because foreign travel was not an option. I realize a few weeks has made a huge difference (Maryland is under a stay-at-home order), but even at that time I thought her post was irresponsible.

Looks like a new episode on my Tivo!

Sam is in Quebec City, filmed in Feb 2020, according to a little fine print at the start.  So they must have finally gotten to editing it?

New sponsors, a lot of them, at the start of the episode.  Kind of surprising with how much travel industry must have been hurting and the uncertain outlook.

OK I can get going to cold places in the winter but Canada?  Maybe glamorous ski resort like Whistler?  But ice canoeing on almost frozen water?

Ice hotel looked cool and so did the toboggan run.  But I think I would still visit in the summer.

• Love 1

Looked at her website and it lists the season 4 episodes.

Looks like only half a dozen or so.  And two of them are non destination-specific, like one on international food episode and then another on travel in pandemic.

The rest are domestic US locations.

Seems maybe they were filming when the lockdowns came a year ago and they waited maybe to see if they could film more but then finally a year later they edited the footage they had and added a couple of "special" episodes and put out a season.

It's good that she kept most of the sponsors and added a couple of others.

Must be tough to produce travel shows when travel has been shut down.  But Tucci's show got a lot of attention because there's a lot of pent-up wanderlust.

S4.E1: Quebec City

Samantha visits this historic city during the Quebec Winter Carnival. She kicks things off ice canoeing on the frigid waters of the St. Lawrence River. From there, Samantha visits a popular Sugar Shack, tastes maple syrup and joins the band playing the wooden spoons. At the iconic Le Château Frontenac, Samantha tours the historic hotel and takes a nighttime toboggan ride. Samantha explores the picturesque streets of Petit Champlain, where she stops in a woodcarving shop and discusses the history of the storied neighborhood. There’s also a visit to the Hôtel de Glace (Ice Hotel), a seasonal hotel built out of ice, the only one of its kind in North America. She also meets Bonhomme, the legendary snowman Ambassador of the Quebec Winter Carnival, and learns of the Carnival’s history and importance in Canada. 

Original air date: 4/1/21