Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Chas411

Roswell, New Mexico Spoilers and Speculation

Recommended Posts

Interesting.

In my experience it can frustrating to "pass for white" as people always seem surprised when a German looking woman speaks perfect Spanish to them. And to paraphrase Max, "It's the South, everybody speaks Spanish!"

Or perhaps a better example was my first day of school (after moving to the US) when everyone stood up and recited the words to something I had never heard before called the pledge of allegience and my teacher yelled at me because I was confused and silent.

Edited by Whodunnit
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe it's because love triangles make me stabby, but how about having a Michael twin or clone for Maria?
Michael Vlamis is IMO the strongest actor of the bunch, so it would also be a way to give their best actor more screen time.
I know they have to be careful WRT copyright issues about not using anything from the OG show that was not in the books, but I'm not talking about a "Dupe." But, yeah, it could be tricky.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe it's because love triangles make me stabby, but how about having a Michael twin or clone for Maria?
Michael Vlamis is IMO the strongest actor of the bunch, so it would also be a way to give their best actor more screen time.
I know they have to be careful WRT copyright issues about not using anything from the OG show that was not in the books, but I'm not talking about a "Dupe." But, yeah, it could be tricky.

Michael had a brother in the books, didn't he? They could use that, lol. 

I'm sorry, I'm not over Catrina thinking a Max kinda-death is like, something revolutionary. I have two words for her: JON SNOW. Come on now! 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hey I had a thought about Maria and her abilities. What if she's not psychic but is actually half alien? Her mother has obviously had some contact with Aliens and she has no idea who her father is. What if her father was another alien who survived the crash?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, MzLiz said:

Yes, Carina, we get it. Alex/Michael are forever and always but for some reason, you have a hard on for love triangles, even when you're already declaring who the "winner" is. 

I didn't hate Carina before this series. Now I do. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I didn't hate Carina before this series. Now I do.

She really is an awful showrunner. She also can't seem to help herself from telling the ending while practicing casual misogynoir. Man, she is making Julie Plec look woke. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

She really is an awful showrunner. She also can't seem to help herself from telling the ending while practicing casual misogynoir. Man, she is making Julie Plec look woke. 

I think the issue here is that, even if Maria was a white character or an Asian character, that she'd still be treated like shit by Carina because her number ones are Michael and Alex. Carina doesn't even seem to like Max, OR Isobel all that much. I don't think I've read about her talking about Kyle once. She seems to like Liz and Rosa, though.

 I think, if Carina had it her way, Michael and Alex would be the stars of the show. So, it's unintentional misogynoir, for sure, but she has a hard-on for queer characters. 

I feel like Carina needs to go back to her fanfiction writing instead of trying to run a show like this. Or maybe I just need to stop reading all interviews for this show. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

 I think, if Carina had it her way, Michael and Alex would be the stars of the show. So, it's unintentional misogynoir, for sure, but she has a hard-on for queer characters. 

For sure. I haven't missed aside from the misogynoir that Carina is also remiss in talking about her Latina lead as much as she should. 

Quote

I think the issue here is that, even if Maria was a white character or an Asian character, that she'd still be treated like shit by Carina because her number ones are Michael and Alex.

While I don't disagree with you in theory, that Carina admitted she specifically fought for Maria to be a Black woman on the show then has gone about things the way she has regarding [not] writing for the character & in interviews has been spectacularly bad optics. 

Edited by Chick2Chic · Reason: added something
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think the issue here is that, even if Maria was a white character or an Asian character, that she'd still be treated like shit by Carina because her number ones are Michael and Alex. Carina doesn't even seem to like Max, OR Isobel all that much. I don't think I've read about her talking about Kyle once. She seems to like Liz and Rosa, though.

 I think, if Carina had it her way, Michael and Alex would be the stars of the show. So, it's unintentional misogynoir, for sure, but she has a hard-on for queer characters. 

I feel like Carina needs to go back to her fanfiction writing instead of trying to run a show like this. Or maybe I just need to stop reading all interviews for this show. 

Tbf, I don’t like Max most of the time either. I just didn’t create the character I don’t like.

The great irony is that she’ll make me staunchly oppose the Michael/Alex part of the triangle in the process. I’m already most of the way there. You can really hammer this show from multiple angles and it’s kind of amazing how badly she’s done this.

So, Michael/Alex and Max/Liz. The gay couple is broken up by their trauma and their angst is continuously added to. The straight couple has a much more linear progression to a relationship and not getting bogged down. Their love triangle is so short lived it may as well not have existed and they ended the season together.

Max is a creeper who probably has a shrine to Liz stashed somewhere. I hope he can be buried with it.

Michael/Alex/Maria. I found out and should have connected the dots that Alex is a POC as well. My bad. So the two POC are “competing” for a white man I swear they can both do better than. The WOC betrayed her friend for this and is the second choice who will be a fill in. The gay disabled MOC ended the season sad and alone. Literally alone. It sounds like they’ll try to blame Michael’s actions in the triangle on him, so that’s fun. The bisexual character is pitting friends against each other and, while this wouldn’t be the same issue irl, it’s a man and a woman. The optics.

The black woman’s storyline largely revolves around the romance that she will be the 3rd wheel in or being supportive. 

I predict the gay MOC will have a lesser role while Michael and Maria are together. He already ended the season more removed from the aliens. If Isobel is her least favourite alien then we’ll see the female one ignored.

Both queer characters were abused and keep being unable to grasp happiness.

One of their female characters was raped and manipulated for years by her husband. Her husband the evil POC...

Max healed Michael’s hand when being told not to. Consent. The show is already having the aliens not disclose that they’re aliens to the people they have sex with. No, “hey, I’m not a human being and I might lose control of my powers. Probably won’t, though. Oh, and we don’t know if there’s are any weird effects from prolonged exposure to us. Again, probably fine. Uh, not sure what would happen with pregnancy...” I get the safety part but it’s not great. Isobel has violated people’s minds ffs.

The evil 4th alien is the POC and he was poor as well. The white ones were rich and Max died in a Jesus pose. Literal white saviour.

The Latina child of an illegal immigrant was the dysfunctional drug addict who died.

I’m sure I could think of more.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

New idea for the show:  Have Alex discover he's bisexual too and he and Maria can fall in love with each other- be True Love Forever and Michael can be sad and single for the rest of the show.

C'mon Carina, listen to me/us and our ideas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Or maybe I just need to stop reading all interviews for this show. 

Do this.

On 4/26/2019 at 3:30 PM, methodwriter85 said:

And this is why I don't read showrunner interviews.

Because yes to this. 

All showrunners suck lol. In order to be able to still enjoy TV I've just had to accept this and stop listening to what showrunners think about the shows they're running.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

All showrunners suck lol. In order to be able to still enjoy TV I've just had to accept this and stop listening to what showrunners think about the shows they're running.

I totally read that as "stop listening to what showrunners think about the shows they're ruining," which also yes.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

With regards to the bizarre  treatment of certain characters:

 I think Noah (the only alien who was also a minority) was supposed to be a self made rags to riches story  (with him going to Law School and then marrying the boss's daughter and getting the big expensive house and doing pro bono stuff for the community...)

This is why it is so squicky to me that they made this positive character evil. Also his motives made zero sense.

As for Guerin, didn't Maria think for ten years that he was a smelly washout brawling drunk?

Why would she want any piece of that let alone as a boyfriend??? She makes no sense. She can do better.

Alex wanting him makes a little more sense because of their past together... but like Max  (with his Liz twenty year pine-a-thon) it shows an unhealthy inability to move on.

And Michael. Ugh. He's such a mess that the healthiest thing would be to be alone, but no.

Edited by Whodunnit
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/9/2019 at 4:32 AM, Whodunnit said:

As for Guerin, didn't Maria think for ten years that he was a smelly washout brawling drunk?

 Why would she want any piece of that let alone as a boyfriend??? She makes no sense. She can do better.

Yeah, it would have made a lot more sense if they’d at least hooked up or had something off and on in those 10 years. Her suddenly being interested doesn’t make sense. They’ve been around each other for over a decade including high school and nothing happened. As stupid as I think love triangles are, she missed an opportunity for this one to carry more weight.

I know Michael is supposed to be a good guy who is traumatized (therefore, by CW rules can’t really be held accountable), but Maria and Alex can both do better. Not even more successful, just more stable and functional partners. It makes the magical alien soulmate thing depressing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Honestly, I don’t know why Geruin isn’t more messed up being (inadvertently) responsible for blowing up the facility where his Mom/the other aliens were.  Because if my long lost mom died in a fiery explosion in front of me, I sure as hell would have Feelings of Guilt.  

Share this post


Link to post

So do we know how long Max will be dead? He's the primary reason I watch and not sure if I"m interested without Max and Liz. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 2/22/2020 at 3:03 PM, KittenPokerCheater said:

Honestly, I don’t know why Geruin isn’t more messed up being (inadvertently) responsible for blowing up the facility where his Mom/the other aliens were.  Because if my long lost mom died in a fiery explosion in front of me, I sure as hell would have Feelings of Guilt.  


Well, he’s already raged about it and been sad. I expect them to gloss over that he kind of did get them all killed. He didn’t rig the place to blow and I don’t think they would have been mentally able to leave, but he tried to brute force a door open and started a countdown. It’s possible that someone else could have figured out how to open the doors if they’d had time. It’s a tad awkward.

 

On 2/27/2020 at 2:15 PM, ellieart said:

I guess they finally remembered to release a season 2 trailer.  But forgot Maria exists in the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydgx4EsugSg


The more things change, the more they stay the same. Her mother is in it, which is mildly funny in a sad way. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, phoenics said:

Posting this here, since it's full of spoilers:  https://collider.com/roswell-new-mexico-showrunner-interview-season-2/

This article makes it sound like Max is dead a very long time or forever? 

I don't believe her. LOL. She's misstated these things before. I don't think he'll be back next episode, but I do think he is in every episode (through Rosa's mind and/or flashbacks) and he'll be back before the end of the season. What I am happy to hear is that Jason Behr is in five episodes! More than I expected.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/13/2019 at 11:24 AM, amazinglybored said:

Yeah, it would have made a lot more sense if they’d at least hooked up or had something off and on in those 10 years. Her suddenly being interested doesn’t make sense. They’ve been around each other for over a decade including high school and nothing happened. As stupid as I think love triangles are, she missed an opportunity for this one to carry more weight.

I know Michael is supposed to be a good guy who is traumatized (therefore, by CW rules can’t really be held accountable), but Maria and Alex can both do better. Not even more successful, just more stable and functional partners. It makes the magical alien soulmate thing depressing.

The reason Maria "suddenly" looked at Michael is because he was there when she broke down about her mother.  Yes it was sudden, but he was clearly supportive to her and well ... I totally got why she started looking at him differently.  It's not like she was trying to be with him either - not really.  She wasn't clingy after they slept together - in fact, she was insisting it never happen again.

I found their progression fairly believable.  And they are simply enjoyable to watch with the banter.   

On 3/17/2020 at 10:19 AM, Cristofle said:

I don't believe her. LOL. She's misstated these things before. I don't think he'll be back next episode, but I do think he is in every episode (through Rosa's mind and/or flashbacks) and he'll be back before the end of the season. What I am happy to hear is that Jason Behr is in five episodes! More than I expected.

That Jason Behr part is the only reason I bothered to come back to watch.  I hope whatever he is doing is meaty.  I love Jason Behr.  He's fantastically good at playing villains too.  Wish they'd give us a scene with him and his character's wife who happens to be played by Shiri.  That would make my whole year.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Cristofle said:

That Maria appears to see Rosa and find out a lot of the truth next week is such a relief. It's getting beyond weird, how cut off she is. In both the books and the OG show, Liz tells Maria in about a day.

Exactly.  It has really frustrated me a lot that Carina stole TWO major Maria stories and gave them to other characters.  I will forever be angry with her for that.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

There's something I am confused re: the psychic bond that happens when Max heals someone...if Liz was the first person he ever saved, how did he know about the bond and its effects?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Bloga said:

There's something I am confused re: the psychic bond that happens when Max heals someone...if Liz was the first person he ever saved, how did he know about the bond and its effects?

I have been wondering about this too. How did he know he could bring people back to life? We only saw in the flashback episode that he figured out how to kill someone.

Share this post


Link to post

I've always assumed that somewhere in those four years, Michael or Isobel were (probably minorly) injured and Max realized he could heal too, and a mark was left on whichever one he healed, but it would be worth mentioning how he figured it out.

Found a 2x04 synopsis- Shiri is directing it and looks like we will meet Alex's new love interest.

Quote

 

Roswell New Mexico 2x04 “What if God Was One of Us?” Synopsis

AN ACT OF GOD — On the verge of a breakthrough in her quest to save Max (Nathan Dean), Liz (Jeanine Mason) turns to Kyle (Michael Trevino) for one last favor that could potentially land him in hot water. Meanwhile, Michael (Michael Vlamis) and Alex’s (Tyler Blackburn) investigation into Nora (guest star Kayla Ewell) leads them to a farm, where they meet a historian named Forrest (guest star Christian Antidormi). Elsewhere, Cameron (guest star Riley Voelkel) confronts Jesse Manes (Trevor St. John) about her sister’s whereabouts, and Isobel (Lily Cowles) uses her powers for good. Amber Midthunder also stars. Shiri Appleby directed the episode written by Steve Stringer & Christopher Hollier (#204). Original airdate 4/6/2020.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

AN ACT OF GOD — On the verge of a breakthrough in her quest to save Max (Nathan Dean), Liz (Jeanine Mason) turns to Kyle (Michael Trevino) for one last favor that could potentially land him in hot water.

"One last favor" yeah right.

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Synopsis for Episode 5 is out.

Quote

 

Roswell New Mexico 2x05 “I’ll Stand By You” Synopsis

ACCEPTING REALITY — The discovery of some complications with Max’s (Nathan Dean) pod forces Liz (Jeanine Mason), Michael (Michael Vlamis) and Isobel (Lily Cowles) to confront the possibility that they may not be able to save him. Elsewhere, Maria (Heather Hemmens) and Alex (Tyler Blackburn) make amends. Kimberly McCullough directed the episode written by Alanna Bennett & Jason Gavin (#205). Original airdate 4/13/2020.

 

X

While part of me thinks Max probably comes back at the end of this episode because that would be when it happened- right around the time everyone gave up hope - I really hope this doesn't drag on for too long.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Cristofle said:

Synopsis for Episode 5 is out.

X

While part of me thinks Max probably comes back at the end of this episode because that would be when it happened- right around the time everyone gave up hope - I really hope this doesn't drag on for too long.

       I think he´ll be back after episode 5, things need to get bad before they get better, it can´t be that easy to bring an alien back to life, plus Noah´s pod was defective, we already knew that. I am pretty sure Max will be back around episode 8, I know Nathan´s not listed on any episodes after episode 4, but there are other ways to know, and if I, who only went looking because I´m bored, could figure it out, anybody can.

Edited by Bloga

Share this post


Link to post

Carina did say on Twitter that Nathan is in "pretty much every episode this season." Some of the issue is that he apparently decided to start using his middle name as his last name in the middle of filming the season - she said that had nothing to do with the show, lol, she did not ask him to change his name, but it did impact where and how he was listed in episodes. 

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Cristofle said:

Carina did say on Twitter that Nathan is in "pretty much every episode this season." Some of the issue is that he apparently decided to start using his middle name as his last name in the middle of filming the season - she said that had nothing to do with the show, lol, she did not ask him to change his name, but it did impact where and how he was listed in episodes. 

         I think people went on imdb and since he´s not listed beyond episode 4 as of now, they all jumped to conclusions, but as I understand it, that site is being constantly updated, and sometimes shows don´t give out the whole cast list because, you know, spoilers. But even if Nathan´s not listed, if you know where to look, you can figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post

Nathan was clearly onset throughout the season. They kept making jokes about giving him BTS jobs, heh. He's seen in tons of cast pics. 

Share this post


Link to post

Shiri's IG indicates Jason will also be in next week's episode, which she directed.

Quote

This coming Monday the episode of Roswell, New Mexico I directed is airing and the awesome Jason Behr joins the cast. I can’t wait to share all of our behind the scenes snaps 📸. Sending lots of love to all the Dreamers out there. I hope you’re all staying inside and feeling healthy 👽❤️👽 #Roswell #femalefilmmakerfriday #week3 ❤️💙

X

She did a great job last season, so I'm looking forward to seeing her directing work again.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

So in the next promo...

Max (who seems to be better than he's been in Rosa's mind thus far, and has apparently taken a mystical copy of his hat with him into the afterlife, lol) tells Isobel that he cannot be brought back because he's dangerous. I think this is one of the better indications we've had thus far that Max indeed has figured out what his role is for the aliens returning to Earth, and whatever their plan is, isn't good. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

    Noah made it clear last season, Max is the savior, whatever that means, he´s very valuable to the aliens that rule his planet? solar system? so once he´s back, they will be coming for him. I am intrigued at what´s happening on episode 6, Lily Cowles said something on that episode is going to break the internet...the showrunner also said something about it...who knows...she´s also mentioned something will happen in the finale that will make a lot of people angry, what´s new, lol

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Bloga said:

    Noah made it clear last season, Max is the savior, whatever that means, he´s very valuable to the aliens that rule his planet? solar system? so once he´s back, they will be coming for him. I am intrigued at what´s happening on episode 6, Lily Cowles said something on that episode is going to break the internet...the showrunner also said something about it...who knows...she´s also mentioned something will happen in the finale that will make a lot of people angry, what´s new, lol

Well, she's good at making us angry, so there's that.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, phoenics said:

Well, she's good at making us angry, so there's that.

The thing that makes fans the most vocally angry is Michael/Alex and to be honest, I can live with those two having more issues as long as she leaves Max and/or Liz alone for a bit, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/7/2020 at 6:10 AM, Cristofle said:

and has apparently taken a mystical copy of his hat with him into the afterlife, lol)

LOL indeed, @Cristofle! Can I pass the hat of episode thread starter on to you? I've only been doing it because nobody else has, and I always seem to be feeling too old and tired at that point to be creative.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

LOL indeed, @Cristofle! Can I pass the hat of episode thread starter on to you? I've only been doing it because nobody else has, and I always seem to be feeling too old and tired at that point to be creative.

Sure! I'll start the next episode threads. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

     Okayyy....he doesn´t remember her...or does he? Evil Max is kinda sexy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm unclear on if Max is being serious there, because he seemed to remember everything with Isobel, including begging her not to bring him back. He could be either lying to push her away, or that line could be the start of some rant of him being pissed off at her, heh.

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, so I watched it again, and does anyone see how completely Max's demeanor changes when Liz comes in? He goes from being borderline feral with Isobel to suddenly being all polite and chill with Liz. He mentioned early on last season that Liz has a calming effect on him when he's feeling particularly agitated; maybe she still does.

But I'm still not sure how Max could remember every detail of what happened with Isobel and somehow have Liz surgically removed from his memory, lol. So part of me thinks he might be lying.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size