Type keyword(s) to search

Roswell, New Mexico Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

The Isobel actress TOTALLY played those scenes like Isobel was being possessed. Even her voice was different. I have a hard time buying anyone actually revealing what was going on with her yet - I think any "spoilers" are probably not entirely truthful. 

• Love 2
On 2/18/2019 at 7:50 AM, kj4ever said:

The real question is why does Max have Dawson hair in 2019?

Nathan Parsons seems to normally keep his hair like this:

nathan-parsons-getty.jpg?auto=compress&c

But it would have looked way too much like Michael if they let him keep it that way. I think Dawson hair was the compromise.

This is actually the shortest I've ever seen this guy wear his hair:

But yeah, it's usually swept back wavy hair that is at least chin length. I think they figured that the wild curls was going to be more "Michael's" look, so Dawson hair it was.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/27/2019 at 8:34 PM, Cristofle said:

The Isobel actress TOTALLY played those scenes like Isobel was being possessed. Even her voice was different. I have a hard time buying anyone actually revealing what was going on with her yet - I think any "spoilers" are probably not entirely truthful. 

The only spoiler I've seen came from the showrunner herself, who said that Isobel is not being mind-controlled and that her behavior is a direct result of the trauma she experienced in the desert that night when she was younger.

The showrunner also said in a tweet that she hasn't taken any inspiration from the Roswell show itself or books aside from the pilot.  That she's been coming up with her own stuff since then (which is why it doesn't fully feel like Roswell to me sometimes).  That explains to me why I tend to feel like I'm watching TVD with aliens.

But thinking about it that way, maybe she's going for an angle where each alien has something that functions more like a vampire where they have evil instincts they all have to repress?  Maybe like Jean Grey and Phoenix from the X-Men?  Jean Grey is "good", but Phoenix is a malevolent power that resides within her that tries to take over.  It's like multiple personality mutant style.  Maybe this is the same?  Maybe when Isobel isn't afraid or stressed, the malevolent power remains dormant - but when she's stressed it comes out to "protect" her?

As for Isobel seeming like a "guy" in her interactions with Rosa - it is possible for people to develop personalities with different genders.

Making Isobel the killer with multiple personalities just feels like a bit of a letdown to me.  I want there to be someone else involved because I want the story to expand.

I guess it's possible she has multiple personalities? But I still am just not sure I believe Carina claiming Isobel isn't being controlled. If so, Liz moves to forgiveness for her sister's actual murder REAL fast, because the plot description for Episode 8 (AKA two episodes away) has Liz teaming up with Michael to save Isobel.

Episode Description and Stills

Unless she decides Rosa somehow attacked Isobel and Isobel was acting in self defense, that's...surprising. But mostly, nothing about Isobel is remotely like her in those Rosa scenes. Not her voice, not her clothes, nothing. 

11 minutes ago, Cristofle said:

I guess it's possible she has multiple personalities? But I still am just not sure I believe Carina claiming Isobel isn't being controlled. If so, Liz moves to forgiveness for her sister's actual murder REAL fast, because the plot description for Episode 8 (AKA two episodes away) has Liz teaming up with Michael to save Isobel.

Episode Description and Stills

Unless she decides Rosa somehow attacked Isobel and Isobel was acting in self defense, that's...surprising. But mostly, nothing about Isobel is remotely like her in those Rosa scenes. Not her voice, not her clothes, nothing. 

I agree - but that could be explained by another personality.

But what still doesn't track to me is that the other personality behaved like it was still Isobel.  Meaning, it answered to Isobel and pretended to BE Isobel.  That still screams mind control to me - or possession.  

Something must happen in Episode 7 to convince Liz that Isobel isn't dangerous.  Maybe they figure out what is going on with her - a parasite?

2 minutes ago, phoenics said:

I agree - but that could be explained by another personality.

But what still doesn't track to me is that the other personality behaved like it was still Isobel.  Meaning, it answered to Isobel and pretended to BE Isobel.  That still screams mind control to me - or possession.  

Something must happen in Episode 7 to convince Liz that Isobel isn't dangerous.  Maybe they figure out what is going on with her - a parasite?

So in the next episode, Liz apparently has a "new revelation about Rosa" after spending the day with Maria and Alex.

Episode 7 description

But in one of the promos, Liz has Max's blood and admits she was looking for a way to create a weapon, and maybe she seems something in the blood. 

(edited)

Isobel seemed to go into a trance at Prom when her personality changed. Which looks more like mind control. Or they are going for some form of Disassociative Identity Disorder where the alter has the same name. Which could be interesting to explore alien mental illnesses. But I doubt that will happen. 

It is starting to feel like the Vampire Diaries with aliens. I only watched 1 season of that show. If that's the format they are copying then I might be out after this season too. I'll finish it because it's a shorter season and my other shows don't come come back until April. 

Edited by Sakura12

I agree about TVD with aliens.  I'm very unhappy about that because TVD and Twilight both felt like they ripped off Roswell and replaced the aliens with vampires.  How cheap to go from that bastardized version of Roswell to create a new Roswell based off that inferior copy (sorry to TVD fans, but not sorry really).

I think that's been irritating me about Roswell, NM this whole time - the showrunner stacked it with actors from shows she'd done in TVD universe and so it feels off to me because they basically are just calling the show Roswell, but the showrunner isn't really pulling from Roswell lore - she's making up her own - which is HEAVILY influenced by TVD.

I'm glad Shiri directs episode 9 - from an old interview I read about that, Shiri schooled all of them about what Roswell should "feel" like.

I feel like Roswell had a cult-like, iconic kind of status - it cheapens it to cast it as TVD with Aliens, imo.

That is honestly my biggest beef with this show.  

It's like - Max did all this to cover up what Isobel did to keep them all safe - yet there seems to be NO danger to any of them at all.  Leaving that part out of it was a mistake to me.  

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, phoenics said:

It's like - Max did all this to cover up what Isobel did to keep them all safe - yet there seems to be NO danger to any of them at all.  Leaving that part out of it was a mistake to me. 

Having rewatched the OG pilot recently, they had the sense of danger in that episode with the aliens and the teen racing around trying to throw Sheriff Valenti off their tracks.  That bonded them and made me interested in all of them. The relationship between the characters is what me drew me into the original. This one they feel so separate and distant. I guess the point is to see them come together eventually but the further they push them apart the less I'll care or want them to come together. And you are right on this show they keep talking about the danger, without ever showing them in danger of anything. 

They showed Manes sort of investigating and having an bunker of alien stuff but he doesn't know or suspect Max, Isobel or Michael. OG Valenti suspected Max from the start.  

• Love 5
14 hours ago, phoenics said:

The showrunner also said in a tweet that she hasn't taken any inspiration from the Roswell show itself or books aside from the pilot.  That she's been coming up with her own stuff

Then she should have just made a whole new story from the beginning.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, phoenics said:

The only spoiler I've seen came from the showrunner herself, who said that Isobel is not being mind-controlled and that her behavior is a direct result of the trauma she experienced in the desert that night when she was younger.

The showrunner also said in a tweet that she hasn't taken any inspiration from the Roswell show itself or books aside from the pilot.  That she's been coming up with her own stuff since then

The latter is clearly a lie which makes the former suspect.  Its not a copy of the books or RoswellOG but its impossible for it not to be inspired by while still being mixed with her own stuff.

I mean seriously, all the episode titles are 90's songs.  What is that referencing if not the 90's show?  There is at least one reference to the 90's show per episode even though they aren't allowed to use the OG storylines and characters and brands.  And seriously, she can't base the characters on a book and TV show and then claim that there is no inspiration from Roswell.OG or books after the pilot.

I'm not familiar with this showrunner's fandom interaction, but it wouldn't be the first time a showrunner thought they were being so clever with a surprise twist and then lied when the audience thought it was the obvious explanation to try to keep it a surprise/cliffhanger for later.

I'd forgotten about Shiri's episode.  It will be interesting to see if she can make a difference in the feel of the show.  I know Claudia Black is in that (and episode eight) so it's something to look forward to anyway. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

The latter is clearly a lie which makes the former suspect.  Its not a copy of the books or RoswellOG but its impossible for it not to be inspired by while still being mixed with her own stuff.

I mean seriously, all the episode titles are 90's songs.  What is that referencing if not the 90's show?  There is at least one reference to the 90's show per episode even though they aren't allowed to use the OG storylines and characters and brands.  And seriously, she can't base the characters on a book and TV show and then claim that there is no inspiration from Roswell.OG or books after the pilot.

I'm not familiar with this showrunner's fandom interaction, but it wouldn't be the first time a showrunner thought they were being so clever with a surprise twist and then lied when the audience thought it was the obvious explanation to try to keep it a surprise/cliffhanger for later.

It references the 90's constantly because the showrunner is obsessed with the 90's.  That part of it has nothing to do with the OG, it's just simply her preference in terms of music. 

Obviously she had to take inspiration from the books because the show is based on the book series.  But it's also obvious that she took the basics from that first book and that's it.  This one is no closer to the source material than the original one, in fact it's even farther from the source material than the original.

• Love 1

I think she's actually much more influenced by the OG show. I think it's episode 9 that has Michael and Max going to a faith healer about alien symbols, which is very much like the OG show and the Native Americans. She also tweets gifs of the OG show fairly regularly. She just legally can't use anything specific to the show, hence being based on the "books". But even the notion that Max, Michael, and Isobel have powers specific to them is more from the show than the books. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Cristofle said:

I think she's actually much more influenced by the OG show. I think it's episode 9 that has Michael and Max going to a faith healer about alien symbols, which is very much like the OG show and the Native Americans. She also tweets gifs of the OG show fairly regularly. She just legally can't use anything specific to the show, hence being based on the "books". But even the notion that Max, Michael, and Isobel have powers specific to them is more from the show than the books. 

I agree with this - I think she's doing a kind of warped fanfiction version of the OGshow by borrowing some elements but twisting them enough so she can't be sued.

I wish she'd take more from the books though - there is some really good stuff in that.

1 hour ago, phoenics said:

I agree with this - I think she's doing a kind of warped fanfiction version of the OGshow by borrowing some elements but twisting them enough so she can't be sued.

I wish she'd take more from the books though - there is some really good stuff in that.

Given this, a discussion in the 1.06 discussion thread made me think of something. Can Isobel do damage when she's mind-warping? Obviously, Tess' mindwarping was dangerous as it ultimately killed Alex. Isabel did not have this ability in the books IIRC, not when people were awake - she could only go into dreams and influence that way. So I think the ability is more based off of Tess, and Tess' ability - beyond being creepy and rape-y especially when it came to Max - was dangerous.

• Love 1
On 3/3/2019 at 8:14 PM, Cristofle said:

Given this, a discussion in the 1.06 discussion thread made me think of something. Can Isobel do damage when she's mind-warping? Obviously, Tess' mindwarping was dangerous as it ultimately killed Alex. Isabel did not have this ability in the books IIRC, not when people were awake - she could only go into dreams and influence that way. So I think the ability is more based off of Tess, and Tess' ability - beyond being creepy and rape-y especially when it came to Max - was dangerous.

Based on how Liz has been acting and how this has made her unable to trust - I'd say it totally had some dangerous side effects.  I'm really bothered that Isobel has those powers and no one seems to even blink at the consent issues.

22 hours ago, phoenics said:

Based on how Liz has been acting and how this has made her unable to trust - I'd say it totally had some dangerous side effects.  I'm really bothered that Isobel has those powers and no one seems to even blink at the consent issues.

Given how cavalier Michael and Isobel are about the powers. I'm starting to think they need a rebound consequence on themselves from using their powers.

If Isobel wasn't controlled by another alien into killing Rosa, I'm hoping that attempting to mind control someone leaves a remnant behind that that lets that mind control or resist Isobel.  That would make her think twice before using her power.

I think that might be the explanation for who killed Rosa and for Liz resisting Isobel at the drive thru and Rosa appearing to Isobel at the drive trhu.

• Love 2

Wow.  That was quite a swing. I can only imagine the years pent-up anger that went into that swing.  Hope it has nothing to do with his dark aura Maria's Mom  saw.

I wondered if it had been intel from whateverr Q and A happened at some theatre in...well it was part of the ATX festival.  

On 3/8/2019 at 6:17 PM, KittenPokerCheater said:

Claudia Black as a blonde is all kinds of wrong.

And why would she have to be blonde? It's not like she's really Isobel's real mother.

Are any of the aliens, Max, Isobel, and Michael, real siblings? And if so, how do they know?

Thank you.

As far as I can tell, if any combination of Max, Michael, and Isobel are biological siblings, they don't know it. Max and Isobel are siblings in the books, because they shared a pod (and it was revealed from a message from their birth mother that they were siblings in their previous lives on the OG show). But on the show, I feel like it's been indicated they don't know for sure. Max and Isobel do seem to have a somewhat more powerful connection, though. While both Max and Michael got a vision from Isobel the night the girls died, only Max appeared to be able to track her in 1x05. But I think they call each other twins because they got adopted together and they're the same age, so they've just decided to say they're twins. 

• Love 1

Well the trailer was interesting. I'm excited to see that Alex gets to see Michael's bunker next episode.

My hope is that Maria also gets let into the I know an alien club either by next episode or the one that follows. While I'm wishing, I would also like to see Mimi again.

• Love 1

Currently speculating:

Maria told Alex that home can be a person, it doesn't have to be a place.  So, in theory, Alex or/and Maria could be Michael's home (and not the spaceship or his planet of origin).  

Also, I can totally see Alex's father pulling some shenanigans to get Alex sent overseas to some hot spot so he is off the show (for awhile anyway).

Sneak peek for the next episode

It's Max, Liz, Michael, Isobel, and Noah talking about the fourth alien. Liz says the alien "took" the serum, which is a ? I thought the guy possessing Mr. Latte Art just destroyed the lab and the serum along with it. Liz says it's important everyone act normal so Isobel still needs to host the UFO Emporium re-opening, which must be why she and Max are dressed all fancy in the main promo for the episode.

Also, maybe someone should really clue Maria in now, lol, with all the talk about Ranchero Night.

• Love 2

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/16/exclusive-roswell-new-mexico-malex-clip/

The last bits of this article hint at someone dying by the end of the season.  To the point that the network repeatedly asked Carina if she was sure.  Any thoughts?

If she wanted to kill off one of the aliens, I could see it being Isobel.  But if she wanted to kill off one of the humans, I'd go with Maria (unfortunately) or Kyle.  Though she could be playing it up hard like she's done everything else so far and it could be one of the lesser characters...like Arturo or Sheriff Valenti (and REALLY put Kyle in a dark place).  I don't know though.  

14 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I guess I'm the only Arturo fan. 
When he and Liz are together, I can see that she really does have a heart.

Noooo I LOVE Arturo!  He's the best character on the show!  He's the only one I actually care about.  So if it's him, I'll be super upset.  I just threw him in the lesser character list since he's not heavily featured.  

• Love 1

I would blow up Carina's twitter feed calling her out on her anti-Black racism if she killed off Maria. I would haunt her like the folks who still clown Julie Plec for how dirty she did Bonnie Bennett. I am just so tired of racebent Maria being seen as expendable or an obstacle because Carina can't get her shit together. 

Someone mentioned to me it is probably the Cam character as the actress landed another show. 

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I think she might kill off Alex (or evil Daddy sends him back to Iraq/Afghanistan).  

Alex was killed in the original show. I wonder about Kyle though he has kinda served his purpose. Killing Alex would still be be killing off a POC though as the character is clearly meant to be Aboriginal. (If they meant him to be white they wouldn't have cast a Native man as his brother).  We're probably one of the few groups even less represented on television than black women. Plus there is the whole bury your gays issue.

Cameron supposedly left this episode maybe she'll count as the one leaving.

5 minutes ago, Emily Thrace said:

Alex was killed in the original show. I wonder about Kyle though he has kinda served his purpose. Killing Alex would still be be killing off a POC though as the character is clearly meant to be Aboriginal. (If they meant him to be white they wouldn't have cast a Native man as his brother).  We're probably one of the few groups even less represented on television than black women. Plus there is the whole bury your gays issue.

Cameron supposedly left this episode maybe she'll count as the one leaving.

Alex is meant to be half white/half Native American.  The show has done a shit job of making that clear, since they never actually made that clear at all.  The NA half comes from his absent mother (one of those fun facts that was only revealed via Twitter).

But killing Kyle would also result in killing a POC.  Either way they swing it, they have to tread carefully.  The article makes it sound like it's a huge character based on the network response, so Cam doesn't really fit that.  Carina has a tendency to play the story up to boost it and make it sound more interesting and bait people into watching, so it's entirely possible that it won't end up being anyone that important.

Carina has sworn up, down, and sideways that she will never kill an LGBT character (the "bury your gays" trope) so I don't think it's Alex. Honestly, I'm wary that it's any main cast member, or that whatever it is, is as shocking as she makes it out to be. 

Edited by Cristofle
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Cristofle said:

Carina has sworn up, down, and sideways that she will never kill an LGBT character (the "bury your gays" trope) so I don't think it's Alex. Honestly, I'm wary that it's any main cast member, or that whatever it is, is as shocking as she makes it out to be. 

Yeah, she's been firm on that. Far as I can tell, Carina is all about the misogynoir, accidental or otherwise.

• Love 2

Carina posted on Twitter (where else) that it won't be the last we see of Cameron if the show gets a season 2.  So it sounds like she can be crossed off the list.  

Either way, I'd be happy if all the characters but Arturo and Maria die.  Just kill them all and start fresh.  Starting even fresher would be getting rid of Carina's (and by extension JP's) involvement.  

All that being said, if I did have to pick a main character to be the one to bite it, I would say, in this order: Isobel, Maria, Max.  Can't even explain why, just the names in the ring for me.  Well I think we all know why Maria is in there, sadly.

Yeah, I was going to say, the most plausible death is Noah. I mean...it's obvious, but that's what we said about him being the fourth alien so....

Despite how badly they've treated Maria this season, I think they set up her psychic arc enough where I think she's a safe bet to survive. I do feel like they have stories to tell with her...I mean, it's dumb that they're waiting for season 2, but I do think they have SOMETHING with her planned. Maybe I'm too hopeful, but...

The only other person I do think could be a death is maybe Kyle's mother?  They never said the death was a main character. They just said there's a death. For all we know, it's nobody that important and Carina is playing it up (as she usually does). 

5 hours ago, Cristofle said:

Also, Carina has expressed how much she loves Alex/Michael, so I'm positive neither one are going anywhere. Alex will definitely survive until the end of the series, unless Tyler Blackburn chooses to leave (he probably won't because he's also been praising Alex/Michael). 

12 hours ago, Cristofle said:

That kinda bothers me actually, I get that she doesn't like the trope but it seems self defeating. She still isn't treating gay characters the same as straight ones.  It actually comes across as vaguely patronising, like gay people are in need of her protection. It worries me that she might be another privileged white girl who doesn't quite understand the difference between being an ally and being a white saviour. I get not killing off the shows only explicitly gay character because of the history but saying never killing him off ever just because he is gay seems off too. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Emily Thrace said:

It worries me that she might be another privileged white girl who doesn't quite understand the difference between being an ally and being a white saviour.

That's EXACTLY who I think she is and the more shit I see her say on social media, the more obvious it becomes that she's actually clueless about what she's putting out there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

So I was looking at IMDb and noticed that there was a young Mara in the credits played by the blonde from Vampire Diaries  and an old Mara played by Alaina Warren Zachary. So now we know Michael's mother's name.

Edited by Whodunnit
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1