Type keyword(s) to search

Trial & Error - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/23/2017 at 9:09 AM, Dowel Jones said:
On 4/23/2017 at 0:04 AM, jbrecken said:
On 4/19/2017 at 10:50 AM, tennisgurl said:

Can we send in roller skates to someone at NBC to get a second season?

Bagels.

A stuffed owl?

Or we could just write a short letter of support and sign it "From a faithful Peckerhead". 

14 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I don't think Larry killed the person whose body was found. I think he was just happy that the gang was together and would have some purpose.

That's how I read that moment, too. 

• Love 3

I finished watching the season yesterday and loved it. Great little show that reminds me of The Good Place only more quirky. Of the main cast, I knew John Lithgow, Sherri Sheppard and Nicholas D'Agosto but all the roles were very well cast and I didn't see a weak link in the group. As other posters have pointed out this is one of those shows that has so much going on with all the background details that it's worth a second viewing.  John Lithgow never disappoints but he was just top notch as Larry. By the third episode, I didn't even care if he did it, I wanted to see him get off. I found it hilarious that he was his own worst enemy and kept making himself seem guiltier with everything he did . I really have missed seeing his comedic talent since TRFTS. After having read some of the comments here, I'm glad I've never heard Sherri Shepard on any talk show since I always enjoy her performances. (It's why I can't watch Richard Gere. I saw him once years ago on The Tonight Show and he came across as such a pompous ass I can't get past it.)

Really hope this gets another season. I will miss this bunch and I want another season of these strange but endearing citizens and to see their efforts for another client.

On 4/19/2017 at 9:31 AM, iMonrey said:

The owl thing was brilliant because it reflected the Michael Peterson case, which is who I immediately thought of way back in the pilot episode when it was revealed that Larry's first wife had also died after falling through a window.

I had heard about the Michael Peterson case but it has been years and I had long forgotten about it and the details. So I looked it up and decided to watch The Staircase. By the middle of the first episode, it was pretty obvious that Trial and Error was based on this documentary. I just finished the second episode (of eight) and their witness coach even looked like French Stewart! (And I loved seeing FS again with John Lithgow. ) The witness coach in The Staircase even did the same hands on his shoulders and voice exercises that French Stewart did with Larry. It's an interesting documentary but I am really enjoying it because I'm seeing the parts that were parodied on Trial and Error and I find myself laughing again. (Despite the serious subject matter.)

On 4/24/2017 at 2:14 AM, aradia22 said:

I don't think Larry killed the person whose body was found. I think he was just happy that the gang was together and would have some purpose.

Me too. That smile seemed to convey that he was happy to see "his" team together again and with a new client to help like they had done for him.

ETA: Lots of great lines posted here and I want to add:

Josh: I found three gray hairs.

Larry: It's the stress. Wait till you get them downstairs. Then it's a wake-up call.

I laughed so hard at that. Also, when Dwayne ran into the (wrong) house and started shooting. The look on Josh's face was great.

Edited by Desperately Random
Forget to add the gray hairs line.
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I just read something on FB that said that it doesn't look good for Trial And Error getting renewed  ::sniff::

That was Cancel Bear which is usually fairly accurate, but there are other factors in play besides ratings.  I don't know if the show will be renewed, but I think the chances are a little better than what that article indicates.

• Love 1

I'm doing a re-watch of this already and I'm laughing even harder than I did the first pass through and catching jokes I missed because I was laughing too hard to see them. Case in point: the fourth leading cause of death in East Peck: Larry Henderson! Josh really irked that he does find the guinea pig reading a book adorable. The guy who keeps shouting WITCH! at Josh, "Can we get him outta here?!"

• Love 4

I guess it is still undetermined if it will be renewed, but if not, this was a lovely gem of a show, complete in itself.

Final re-watching of the last 2 episodes I noticed the town seal as well as the police seal both feature an owl.

In the video, with the unexpected beautiful Andie MacDowell as Margaret, you can see Larry awkwardly skating outside the front door.

Hee! I was also thinking the taxidermists' house was unexpectedly tasteful. Nary a dead animal.

I looked up on the google machine the backward walking, and indeed there is a cheerleader flu shot situation, but it is unclear if it is a hoax.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Boo! I am sad that this wasn't picked up but happy that it wrapped everything up so it's a perfect one season show.

Well, it hasn't been officially canceled yet either.  Plus, Great News only got a 13 episode order, so it is possible the could renew this to fill up the rest of the season once GN is done.

• Love 1

A few days ago, our son decided to get Hulu. We discovered that T and E was on it, so I introduced it to the him and the rest of my family. My family tends to like to stretch shows out, even if they are enjoying them. That means we don't usually watch more than two a night. After 2 nights, and a lot of "one more!", we have gotten through 9 episodes. I don't recall the last time I heard them (especially my husband!) laugh so hard at a tv show.  Maybe Arrested Development....

• Love 2

It's killing me that we still don't know one way or another if this show is coming back. Surely the network has to decide soon, or else the actor's contract options will all expire. Grrrr.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It's killing me that we still don't know one way or another if this show is coming back. Surely the network has to decide soon, or else the actor's contract options will all expire. Grrrr.

I read an article saying an exec at NBC was "hopeful" it would come back.  (Let's see if I can find it....

http://deadline.com/2017/05/trial-error-renewal-chicago-justice-season-2-decision-nbc-1202093248/ )

But I agree...they need to make a decision one or another or else the actors who would return for a second season will find other projects.

• Love 1

Excellent! So happy I was wrong!

5 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

And it has a great lead-in (Will and Grace!)

Will it? I thought Will and Grace was premiering in the fall and only 12 episodes and this is being held for modseason.

• Love 1

Since we get a new season here is a place to speculate and talk about what you would like to see in season 2.

It seems that Lithgow won't return as a regular which I am happy about because even though he was fantastic, I don't want them defending him again so I think a new client is necessary.

This case drew a lot from The Staircase, anyone have any thoughts about what case or documentaries season 2 should draw from?

• Love 2
(edited)

I think The Jinx would be a good choice. That scene of Durst confessing without knowing he was still being recorded is a scene that is tailor made for this show. A Durst-like character would make Larry seem normal by comparison.

Edited by Desperately Random
  • Love 1

Making A Murderer seems ripe for this show... If anything, it's too much like East Peck. The junkyard, the kid obsessed with Wrestle mania... It's so redneck it wouldn't need much changing. 

• Love 2

Whatever happens, I don't want the case come down to something odd and unrelated.  It worked with the bird this time, but I think if they tried something like that again it would fall flat.

• Love 1
On 5/20/2017 at 1:04 PM, biakbiak said:

It seems that Lithgow won't return as a regular which I am happy about because even though he was fantastic, I don't want them defending him again so I think a new client is necessary.

Yeah, I had a feeling he wouldn't be a regular next season.  I wondered if maybe they just used him in Season 1 as a draw to get people to watch.  I do hope, though, as their friend and Summer's father, he makes a couple of appearances. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

Yeah, I had a feeling he wouldn't be a regular next season.  I wondered if maybe they just used him in Season 1 as a draw to get people to watch.  I do hope, though, as their friend and Summer's father, he makes a couple of appearances. 

In the articles I've read about the renewal, it sounds like they are going to try to get a Lithgow-caliber star for this and any subsequent season, but the idea is to have a new such star each year.

• Love 2
On 5/20/2017 at 4:47 PM, Desperately Random said:

I think The Jinx would be a good choice. That scene of Durst confessing without knowing he was still being recorded is a scene that is tailor made for this show. A Durst-like character would make Larry seem normal by comparison.

That is an awesome idea!  I could totally buy that one.  I will miss John though, I love his wacky.  Is this for sure, there is a S2?  Oh man I would be so thrilled!

• Love 1
On 5/24/2017 at 10:37 AM, biakbiak said:

Yes. It will be a midseason replacement.

WOW!  This news and more good news about Arrested Dev, Im so happy, happy,  happy! 

• Love 1

A spoiler wrap-up on TV Line includes info about Season 2's casting/characters:

Spoiler

Any word what the new case on Trial & Error will center around and who will replace John Lithgow?
Season 2 of the midseason NBC comedy will revolve around a yet-to-be-cast older woman serial killer named Lavinia Peck-Foster, as well as another cold case. Neither John Lithgow nor Krysta Rodriguez will be back as series regulars, while a Serial-like podcaster will be among those helping Josh’s scrappy legal team.

• Love 3

Woohoo!  Saw the new trailer for it!  Starts in July.

On 3/27/2018 at 7:45 PM, biakbiak said:

I wonder if she is replacing one of the existing cast or is additional casting.

The person on trial is a woman, that might be her

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Tammee said:

The person on trial is a woman, that might be her

The woman on trial is Kristen Chenowith. I clapped with glee and rewound Seth Meyers when the commercial for the new season came on!

• Love 3

So happy we finally have a date for season two, but Kristin Chenoweth?  Ugh.  The AV Club called her a "big personality delivery vehicle," which I think is about as apt a description as I've ever heard.  She's just too much.  Which should work well on this show, but still....

Anyway, go Peckerheads!

• Love 1