Type keyword(s) to search

Trial & Error - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Aw, I hope this show is renewed. So many great moments, and the ending was bittersweet. It might be too expensive to hire John Lithgow for another full season plus whoever the next defendant is, who I assume will be played by a big celebrity like Lithgow, but it leaves the door open for Larry to pop in next season. I would also imagine that the next defendant will have his/her quirks, and having Larry around all season would probably take away the focus from the new defendant.

Anyhow just like the forgotten cable guy, I never suspected Dave at all, and I was actually a little worried at the end for Josh and Dwayne especially when Dwayne said he left his gun at the neighbor's house. So glad that Summer got to have a big moment in helping the case at the end because there were a few times that I felt that her character was boring, but hopefully if the show is renewed, she'll be more of a part in the next investigation. I hope that Josh gets better as well since he didn't even think about the cable guy as a possible suspect and didn't notice the missing evidence from the murder book.

ETA: I loved seeing French Stewart. I was sort of hoping that either Larry's twin brother Harry would be the murderer or that Larry would be revealed to really be an alien who formerly went by Dick Solomon, but since those didn't happen I was really happy to see Stewart.

Edited by mortonsalt
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, rhys said:

So about that smile of Larry's at the end (after a body was discovered).... hmmm.

Well, he did confess that he learned how to kill a man during his stint in prison. Would Larry murder someone just to get the gang back together?

• Love 7

Well that was a satisfying ending. So many funny moments, Anne walking backwards, the exchange about removing the hair between Carol Anne & Josh, Carol Anne & her rash, Dwayne shooting everything, I laughed multiple times (as usual). I really hope for a season 2, maybe Larry could become a member of the team. 

• Love 6

I hope this show gets renewed but I don't want to them bring back Larry as a suspect and I thought they set it up for everyone with a defendant who wasn't Lithgow but he could visit because he loves Josh and his daughter is a part of the team but if it doesn't get renewed the look Lithgow looked on the cast and him giving Josh the skate key makes me so happy.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Josh made it uncool though, so you might not get your wish.

I got my wish!  Thank you, Josh! 

9 hours ago, Roaster said:

I thought that was French Stewart.  Wasn't sure till I saw the closing credits.

I found him supremely annoying on 3rd Rock, but I thought he was great here.  His "I'm gonna take off..." after Larry admitted to lying about his identity cracked me up. 

That was a perfect little finale for a perfect little show...but I love how they left the door open for season two.  I really hope we get it.  I need more of Seagull & Associates lol

• Love 5

This show was such a lovely surprise. So clever and original.  I've never seen Jayma Mays this good.  For all of the great jokes, the silliness of the Pecks stuck with me. Did they say East Peck is actually west of North Peck?

• Love 4

Going full The Staircase at the end was just perfect because I honestly could not believe any of these strange people could actually throw someone through a glass window. They're all quirky and sometimes awful but I would have been sad if any of them (Rutger Hiss included) had been a cold-blooded murderer.

This series was just so well-done and maintained a consistent tone that allowed me to believe this crazy town could really exist. Larry was perfect, though I imagine they wrote that ending because they didn't know if they could get Lithgow for another season. I honestly don't know if they'd need him, provided the next new client is well-written and they get the casting right. I really hope this show comes back, but if it doesn't it really was a wonderful little story.

• Love 10

I kind of predicted way back that nobody would turn out to be a murderer and that Margaret's death would turn out to be a freak accident. The owl thing was brilliant because it reflected the Michael Peterson case, which is who I immediately thought of way back in the pilot episode when it was revealed that Larry's first wife had also died after falling through a window. There are still those who believe in "the owl theory" in the Peterson case. Also, hilarious and brilliant nod to HBO's "The Night Of" with Caroline's horrible rash which miraculously cleared up in 10 minutes (which was how long it took the jury to reach a verdict).

The ending with the skate key was really sort of poignant so I loved the way in ended. I just hope against hope NBC is smart enough to renew this thing because it's without a doubt the funniest show I've seen in years. No NBC sitcom is ever going to get juggernaut ratings so I hope they recognize a good thing when they've got it. They should definitely rerun this thing over the summer and promote the hell out of it then bring it back in the fall.

Did they say East Peck is actually west of North Peck?

Yup!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Lava VaVoom said:

I did not recognize French Stewart.  Which part did he play?

Sebastian "I'm Not" Rappaport, owner of Therapy Through Theater, who prepared Larry to testify. "Put the caramel over the apple."

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 3

Can we send in roller skates to someone at NBC to get a second season?

I should have known that the "murder" was actually a freak accident, because that's kind of how this town works, and that Dave the Taxidermy guy had something to do with the mystery! Just like the repairman, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that before!

The phone call from the prison island was hilarious. "They're listening to us!" "Yes they are Larry." This show was great, and I love that they left it open for a season 2. It seems like Larry wont be the defendant this time, but I hope he shows up from time to time.

• Love 4

This better get a second season! And if it does, hopefully NBC doesn't pull an ABC and ruin the second season by airing it out of order, like they did with The B from Apartment 23.

If Larry is indeed the murderer of this new body, then he could still come back in the next season. Unless he was just guilty of removing a fish caught on something, which in turn pushed the body into the river.

We also learned that East Peck is west of North Peck.

There were so many great moments, but I think I laughed the hardest when it was revealed that Rutger Hiss was running for mayor. I think he has a good shot at winning.

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 3

Can we send in roller skates to someone at NBC to get a second season?

I'm not sure what a good mail-in campaign would include. Skates are too big, skate keys are too rare. Maybe owl feathers? Pumpkin seeds? Shards of glass?

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not sure what a good mail-in campaign would include. Skates are too big, skate keys are too rare. Maybe owl feathers? Pumpkin seeds? Shards of glass?

A murder board? (Mini)

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 8

I have never written in to a network asking them to renew a show, but I would do it for Trial and Error. The last two episodes did not disappoint. My fav exchange was when the judge looked at the verdict and said "I think this is your lunch order". When the foreman told her to flip the paper over the judge said "I thought BBQ was a little flippant". Lol. 

Another favourite exchange - when Larry said he was born with an extra testicle and Dwayne said "You've got 4 of 'em?"

Loved it when Josh was giving his closing statement and Summer reached for Dwayne's hand - the look on his face was priceless. Then later when the verdict was being read, they reached for each other's hand at the same time. Sweet. I hope they develop a relationship next season. And Larry doing the crossword puzzle while they were waiting for the jury to file in for the verdict reading - ha. 

I laughed at the bear and the man in the black hood pacing up and down the courthouse hallway. Also Dwayne's ringtone on his cell - "what you gonna do when they come for you". So funny! 

I hope Lithgow makes some appearances next season (if I keep saying it - it will happen) but the cast is so strong they can definitely carry a season on their own. Fingers crossed......

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Loved it when Josh was giving his closing statement and Summer reached for Dwayne's hand - the look on his face was priceless. Then later when the verdict was being read, they reached for each other's hand at the same time.

I know, that was so cute! I think Dwayne is my favorite character (which is high praise considering how strong the cast/writing is). I keep waiting for someone to tell me that something is inexplicable, just so I can say, "I can explic it!"

• Love 9

My favorite line has to go to Dwayne's, "What has two thumbs and is back on the EPPD? I am!" And then he points to himself using his index fingers and not his thumbs.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 10

I absolutely loved the last two episodes...French Stewart showing up was great, as was the sight gag of Anne running through the glass window. Liked how they left it open for John Lithgow to return in basically any capacity depending on his schedule. The skate wrench was also a wonderful note to end on. I so hope they renew this. My brother was walking through to the kitchen during one of the courtroom exchanges and decided on the spot he was going to start watching from the beginning because the 30 seconds he saw was so funny.

Perhaps the best thing though out of all the gags this season was that they gave us an actual "whoooo"-dunnit. (I'll show myself out). ;)

• Love 11

Did any else notice that on the other side of Anne's face on the bench, it said "Rutger Hiss" for for Mayor, with of picture of him while he was (still is?) in a coma?  lol!

I laughed at all the same things that have been mentioned.  I said it before and I'll say it again, Dwayne and the actor who plays him is a gem.  When he discovered that he didn't have his gun and when he burst into the taxidermist's neighbors house while Josh was jumping and swearing at him?  That got a huge laugh from me, too. 

This show is so charming and funny.  I really hope they keep it for another season.  I think it would work even without Lithgow.

ETA:  I just went ahead and emailed them.  It couldn't hurt. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 7
On 4/18/2017 at 7:17 AM, TaraS1 said:

I hope we get at least one, "Mur-der board!  Mur-der board!" for old times sake tonight!

Mur-der Book!  Mur-der Book!

Jayma Mays went all in for the cookies in that courtroom scene with Carolyn's  skin rash.  Loved it.  Here's hoping she has a steady supply of stiff Peckers to investigate next season. 

Let's not forget the honorable Judge Horsedich.

• Love 7

I can see the whole gang tackling a brand new case next season (I hope) but if John Lithgow is not the defendant I'm not sure what role Summer could play. I guess she could officially become Dwayne's girlfriend? But she was more or less the voice of reason, alongside Josh, among all the zany locals. I'm afraid she might seem like a fifth wheel in a case that isn't about her father. 

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:16 AM, BusyOctober said:

My minor problem with this show is the hair styling, Josh and Carol Ann specifically.  Why is Josh's air so full of product and plastered to his head like Alfalfa from the Little Rascals?  And I know Carol Ann is supposed to be a hard ass lawyer, but her "serious" hairstyle bugs me.  The swoopy bangs with the severely pulled back sides, minus those two little strands hanging by her ears just makes her hair look greasy to me (not as much an oil slick as Josh's, but still). 

I was so happy to see Josh's hair get a re-do, and I completely do not understand Carol Ann's weird, unflattering hair style. Jayma Mays is cute as pie, but she has little squirky elf ears, and all this 'do does is point that out. Her being this femme fatale seems weird, but it IS a small town, and she IS down for...well, anything, apparently.

I loved French Stewart showing up. I do hope Lithgow can come back, if the show comes back.

Dwayne is hilarious.

• Love 2

Another great scene was when Larry pleaded with the jury. I thought he'd recite a poem, but instead went into full haunt mode instead. Larry is an oddball, but his pettiness throughout the season always allowed us to think maybe he actually did do it. I'm glad he didn't though.

• Love 3

I also roared when Josh stormed into Carol Anne's office and asked "why'd you get rid of the hair?"

Carol Anne: "some men like it that way."

Josh: "that's not what I mean, but (pause) yes."

I'm rewatching the entire series this weekend.

• Love 9

About six months ago, we were chatting about the Peterson/Owl case at work because someone recommended The Staircase.  I never watched the documentary but I read up on the case on lazy Sunday.  There were so many parallels to this series that I'm ashamed of myself for not recognizing that they were heading towards an Owl ending.

I read an article that they will go Jinx next season (if we get one).  Who would they cast as a Robert Durst type?  Martin Short. 

• Love 5

Biggest revelation for me? That Dwayne and I have the same ringtone...

Seriously, I was watching the last episode about 2 AM and when I heard his telephone my first thought was "who the hell is calling me at this hour?" Then I realized what was going on and Dwayne immediately became my favorite character. 

I also loved that, when the forewoman stood up to read the verdict, she was wearing the finished scarf that had she had been crocheting all through the trial. It truly is the little things that make the show!

The sole reason that I started watching the show was Lithgow, but I really do believe now that the rest of the cast is strong enough to carry it without him ( if they can get another defendant with chemistry).

Edited by Sile
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Sile said:

I also loved that, when the forewoman stood up to read the verdict, she was wearing the finished scarf that had she had been crocheting all through the trial. It truly is the little things that make the show!

Well spotted! I missed that one!

• Love 5
On April 21, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Big Mother said:

I really like the guy who plays Josh Segal - he looks like a reformed Michael Scott.

Same here! I wasn't familiar with the actor and haven't seen him in anything else, but he was adorable here. I need to go over and list him in the TV crushes thread. 

• Love 4

There were some nice moments and good jokes here and there. I could have used more French Stewart. But it seemed like they were losing steam the last few episodes. I thought it might have been budget-related because they weren't using the side characters as much as at the beginning of the season.

Anne running through the door to hug Josh was brilliant.

Dwayne starting to read Anne her Miranda rights made me giggle.

Once again, I can't believe I never thought about Dave! This is the cable guy all over again. They're using the comedy as a misdirection and it's working so well. Things that would be suspicious on a serious detective/crime show get overlooked because there's so much much wackiness. 

So funny! One of the highlights for me was Larry addressing the jury and saying he was gonna haunt them!

Hey, if you're out of options, why not?

I like Lithgow but I'm OK with him not being a part of a possible second season. I've kind of had enough of Larry's quirks. Like Anne's various ailments, it could get to be too much. 

I know dyslexia is complicated and not every dyslexic person is going to confuse symbols the same way but them using Anne's dyslexia to unlock Margaret's phone was a great moment.

Andie MacDowell. That was a fun surprise though I'm not sure it lived up to them hiding her face all season. 

IT WAS AN OWL. An owl that left a bloody wing print!

I don't think Larry killed the person whose body was found. I think he was just happy that the gang was together and would have some purpose. He did say he thought of Josh as a son. I think he felt more comfortable leaving thinking that they were somewhat settled. Though the ending did make me wonder how Josh is going to explain things to his old firm back home. Will he quit? Who is even paying his salary?

• Love 4

If there's a second season, I hope that Josh and Carol Anne team up together like Dean Strang and Jerry Buting from Making a Murderer. It would be interesting to see them having to work together as a team.

Also, I'm surprised I just realized that Carol Anne and Anne have such similar names, yet I never caught it when I was watching the show.

• Love 1