Type keyword(s) to search

Season One Talk: The Umbrella Academy

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

This is the perfect show to discuss the concept of “born vs bred” when it comes to Vanya.  Was she just born bad?   Or with a caring father and siblings that treated her as an equal would she have grown out of whatever darker impulses she had.   All children are selfish brats.  Some more then others.    Compassion is actually a learned skill.   If you are denied it how are you ever supposed to learn it?   It might be interesting if all the other kids remember what Vanya did and some want to destroy her before she grows into her power while others want to try and save her.   Plus as Pogo who genuinely loved her and a father who feared her it makes an interesting study.   

My problem with Vanya was that she was just so bland. Even though it was supposed to be that way I just felt like they could've just added a bit more personality to the character and be done with it. 

Edit:

What her adopted father did wasn't okay but I can understand why he would do that. Vanya ended up killing a lot of her caretakers before Mother came but what Hargrave should've done was to steer her into a better person. I think what happened to Vanya was a mixed of born (born with superpowers that were hard to control. Mixed that with strong emotions = disaster) and breed. The way she grew up caused her to seek out someone that would give her attention (that she did need. She didn't needed to be treated like she didn't exist) and also nurture her natural abilities instead of suppressing them and I don't know if its being in lockdown for about a month or so but I think Vanya and Elsa from Frozen has a similar path. But one was able to find a way to better used her powers. 

Edited by TVSpectator
(edited)
On 2/17/2019 at 7:39 PM, Garden Wafers said:

e.g. telling someone that they love her, using it to advance her career

I swear S2 is going to reveal that she used it on Luthor. I don't really buy this true love/eternal devotion story. Especially since it's seems so one sided. Luther remained Celibate until his 30s while Allison left, got married, had a child and, then gets jealous because Luther finally got laid?!

This show is way too dark and fucked up not to explore that.

I loved the Vanya storyline and can easily believe how she would cling to and, be manipulated by Leonard.  The show highlighted how fucked up her family treated her. Yes, it, was ultimately the dad that set the example but, they all treated Vanya like she was less/unimportant by themselves. 

I agree this show/comic is basically what if Professor X was a dick to his students. They're all effed up in their own way. 

I am happy to say, that I don't hate a single character on this show. Usually there are characters i love and others (that I'm supposed to love) that I find annoying or hate but, I enjoyed all of them.

I think Klaus and Five were the standouts. They did a wonderful job casting 5 because that's a tough role. He was to play and old man trapped in a 13 year old body. Most kid actors would come off as just whiny/bitchy/snotty but, he manages to pull it off wonderfully.

So glad I finally got around to watching S1. Can't wait for S2

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

All this speculation about the significance of their numbers. 
I just presumed that they were numbered in the order in which Hargreaves located/adopted them. So he found Luthor first and Vanya last. 

• Useful 1
On 6/28/2020 at 2:11 PM, Ceindreadh said:

All this speculation about the significance of their numbers. 
I just presumed that they were numbered in the order in which Hargreaves located/adopted them. So he found Luthor first and Vanya last. 

This is the way I figured they got their numbers.

In anticipation of season 2 my family started a rewatch of season 1 tonight. I still adore Klaus and love Five and Ben. And I'd forgotten just good the music is. Can't wait to see what songs are in season 2

• Love 2

One thing I thought was interesting is that when Klaus and Diego go to the VFW, they're kicked out because they're too young to have been in any big war. So in this universe Vietnam happened, but Iraq/Aghanistan did not, and there aren't any young American veterans. I found that pretty interesting because in our timeline/universe there's always a war for each new generation. Millennials had the War on Terror, Gen Xers had the Persian Gulf, Baby Boomers had Vietnam, Silent Gens had Korea, World War II for the GI generation, World War I for The Lost Generation, so on and so forth. I wonder if the Umbrella Academy played into a reason why the War on Terror didn't happen there.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Excited to see that Season 2 is coming July 31, and I'll probably try to rewatch Season 1 first since I've forgotten a lot. This Season 1 recap is helpful for those who don't have time to rewatch: https://www.tvguide.com/news/umbrella-academy-season-1-recap/

This explanation of the ending (which doesn't really explain everything but has some speculation) is interesting: https://www.looper.com/148579/the-umbrella-academy-season-1-ending-explained/ 

2 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I was thinking the other day that the most unexpectedly relevant scene (and my favorite) of the first season is everyone dancing alone together.

I just rewatched that episode and found it more moving and sad than the first time I saw it, when I was more focused on enjoying the music and the way it got people dancing.

• Love 1

Just rewatched the "Mom" episode (I don't know the actual title, but it's the one where the siblings have to decide what to do about her). Although I enjoy the comic book and sci-fi elements of the series, this episode made the story more believable because of the focus on the family dynamics. The flashbacks to how Mom interacted with the children showed how important she was in their lives, and especially for Diego. I had to wipe away a few tears in Diego's final scene with her.  

• Love 4

Just finished the first season. Looking forward to the second. 

Vanya and Allison were my favourite characters. The guys (maybe not Ben, who was barely onscreen), I could do without. Klaus and Five, in particular, are the type of characters that I generally have no use for, and are the reason I tend to avoid those ironic, ultra violent type of movies. 

I like Vanya as a character because she was so depressed and morose. You just don't see it that often, and have it played over episodes for such a prolonged time. I don't mind the lack of humour in that character. I am over snarky characters. 

The death I'm saddest about is Patch. Interestingly, that death is the one glossed over most (a reason I could never forigve Cha Cha or Hazel). Maybe due to the time travel aspect of it, but I found his relationship with the war vet not at all interesting. 

• Love 2

Just discovered this show! If Number 5 didn’t reset the day, would the apocalypse have happened? Vanya discovered that Leonard had the book, that her father was responsible for everything, and she probably would have gone to her siblings for help....and the events wouldn’t have happened that caused the apocalypse. We saw apocalypse scenario #2. The apocalypse that Number 5 saw was different. Wonder what the chain of events was that made that happen? On to season 2!

• Love 3
On 8/18/2020 at 9:27 PM, chitowngirl said:

Just discovered this show! If Number 5 didn’t reset the day, would the apocalypse have happened? Vanya discovered that Leonard had the book, that her father was responsible for everything, and she probably would have gone to her siblings for help....and the events wouldn’t have happened that caused the apocalypse. We saw apocalypse scenario #2. The apocalypse that Number 5 saw was different. Wonder what the chain of events was that made that happen? On to season 2!

now there's an interesting question that I bet has been answered in fanfiction *fighting the urge to go look and fall down a rabbit hole I can't find my way back out of*

Just finished season one. Well that wasn’t really an ending at all! 😡 The whole thing felt like a story that stopped in the middle. It kind of put me off wanting to watch the second season, since they may just do the same thing and not answer questions/leave the main plot unresolved.

Luther’s an idiot, Vanya’s turn into Destroyer of The World could have been prevented multiple times if he had just listened to Allison.

Why did Cha Cha turn into such a nasty bitch towards Hazel & Agnes? Were we supposed to think she was in love with him and was jealous?

• Love 1

Rewatching because I'm obsessed 😂

I didn't notice the first time watching that when Five returns he makes a peanut butter and marshmallow sandwich, which is what Vanya used to leave out for him when she hoped he would come home. 

• Love 4

I have a question. Maybe I missed something but was it ever explained whose 'consciousness' jumped into the mom-bot after Pogo repaired it? I even watched the scene again which starts with the invisible force moving away from Vanya/creep guy doing it on the couch, up into the attic (where we see the body of the first chair woman and RH diary) and then out of the house and all the way to the academy. Pogo was even waiting for it to jump into the bot, after which they had a discussion but no name was attached to said 'consciousness'. What did I miss?

53 minutes ago, Smad said:

I have a question. Maybe I missed something but was it ever explained whose 'consciousness' jumped into the mom-bot after Pogo repaired it? I even watched the scene again which starts with the invisible force moving away from Vanya/creep guy doing it on the couch, up into the attic (where we see the body of the first chair woman and RH diary) and then out of the house and all the way to the academy. Pogo was even waiting for it to jump into the bot, after which they had a discussion but no name was attached to said 'consciousness'. What did I miss?

I don't think there was supposed to be an "invisible force," just a pan shot of the various things going on. "Mom" is a highly developed robot, and Pogo repaired her (we find out later why she was "damaged" in the first place by Reginald/ Pogo, and then of course Diego shut her down as a kind of mercy kill...). That was the way I saw it, anyway. Post-repair Mom is still the same being, minus the "forgetfulness" that had been programmed into her to keep her from getting suspicious of what Reginald was doing.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I don't think there was supposed to be an "invisible force," just a pan shot of the various things going on. "Mom" is a highly developed robot, and Pogo repaired her (we find out later why she was "damaged" in the first place by Reginald/ Pogo, and then of course Diego shut her down as a kind of mercy kill...). That was the way I saw it, anyway. Post-repair Mom is still the same being, minus the "forgetfulness" that had been programmed into her to keep her from getting suspicious of what Reginald was doing.

Watch the scene again at the end of episode 5. And then watch mom-bot's behavior in the following episodes where you can clearly see that the person who is in the bot has a problem behaving like a bot. Heck there is a scene where Diego finally gets mom away from the house willingly (which they made a point about being against her programming) and she turns into a human trying to tell Diego something important before they are interrupted.

It always felt to me like an abandoned plot.

Reading trough this thread for the first time and it's kind of insane the extremely high standards some people have of 4 year old Vanya. She's apparently crazy, born evil and a psycho because she didn't magically know

1) hurting people is wrong

2) what death means

3) the value of human life

4) empathy, morals and ethics

These are all things your parents are supposed to teach you. After she threw the first nanny into some lego foam, that's when it was on RH to sit her down and teach her these things.

It's also weird the double standard so many people have. If one blames Vanya for not coming out of the womb a perfectly taught human being, then you can't excuse Allison. Everybody defended 4 year old Allison mind raping her sister as 'her father made her do it' and she was 'only 4'. Sorry, but if lack of teaching and age isn't an excuse for Vanya, then it isn't one for Allison either. She should have known mind raping her sister is wrong and evil. And since Allison mind raped her way into fame and stardom, she clearly was psycho as well, right? But the wrongness of that doesn't even get discussed in this thread. It's also kind of funny how Vanya is the only one labeled a psycho when her siblings were too. The bank robbery scene was disturbing. Watching children smiling, laughing and making quips as they were tear through humans...that's normal? And unlike Vanya, those kids where what...13? After all they should really know better at that age, right? Unless they were born psychos too.

Edited by Smad
  • Love 5

My husband and I just recently finished binging both seasons, so I'm a little late to the "party" here and I don't expect any response, but I wanted to give some thoughts.

I read a few of the replies that says Robert Sheehan (Klaus) was typecast but this is the only thing I've ever seen him in, so I was not spoiled by that and my husband and I felt that his performance was one of the best, along with Aidan Gallagher (Five). I did think that AG pulled off an amazing performance of showing an angst-y old man trapped into the body of an angst-y teenager. BTW, why did he never change out of his school uniform?? LOL. I told my husband that probably the only clothes they had as children were those uniforms.

I'm curious as to why, even though it's set in 2019, there were no modern conveniences. I mean all the cars were from the past (70's-80's?), no computers, no cell phones, etc. I imagine that's how it was in the graphic novels (except for the year probably being different) and they wanted to remain true to that. Kind of reminded me of Gotham in a way (except that they did have cell phones).

I didn't care for Luther all that much. I felt like he was the weakest in terms of not only acting (I've seen him previously on Merlin and GoT, but I don't remember much about him on Merlin and GoT, his character wasn't all that well developed before he became dragon toast), which in this case may have been the blame of the writing, or maybe it's because his character was either meant to be boring, or to not have the ability to think for himself (outside of his father's own "teachings."), but just well, who he was. His astonishment or disappointment that his siblings all grew up and moved away just shows you how sheltered he was, I think probably more than any of them. I did feel sorry for him a way though, especially pertaining to what Reginald did to him (both altering his appearance, and leaving him on the moon for no reason). I didn't particularly care for the Luther/Allison relationship, because for me it was just "ew." I mean I'm sorry, even though they weren't biologically (that we know of--yet) related, they were still raised as brother and sister. All I can say is that I'm glad it hasn't gone too far, but I suspect at some point, it probably will.

As of now, I don't have a lot to say about Allison, Diego or Ghost Ben (I would like to know how he died though), but maybe I'll come back later and edit that.

Now my thoughts on Vanya. Forgive me, they are a bit of a jumble as I tend to jump around in my thoughts and they are unorganized. I will grant that her character too was a little bit boring and bland in a way, but even from the beginning, I suspected that she had powers. Now I've seen a mixed bag of reactions from Vanya, which doesn't need repeating, but I will say that I fall on the side of the sympathy camp, because in a way, I empathize with her. Many like to point out that all 7 of the kids were treated horribly by their father, and that is definitely true. The man was despicable. But Vanya was the only one who "lashed out" so to speak. Let me point out a major difference between the 6 and number 7. Although his parenting skills were obviously lax in all of them (he treated them more like science experiments than actual children), Vanya was the only one who was shunned, made to feel like she had no place in the family, not only by him, but by her siblings. Now I don't feel like it was intentional on their parts, they were a product of their raising. They grew up seeing him shun her and they, for whatever reason, just thought it was normal I guess. I know what it feels like to be shunned and treated like an outsider, so I can identify with her. Yes, it was absolutely horrible what she did to the nannies, but I don't think she realized what was happening to them. I mean, she was 4, and as mentioned previously, Reginald's answer was to bring in a new nanny, rather than explain to her that she was causing serious harm and hurting people (BTW, at 4, I hated oatmeal too). I mean I don't really blame Reginald for suppressing her powers, especially if he didn't know what to do with her, but he didn't need to treat her like she was a worthless nobody either. One thing that stood out to me was how they were having their family pictures taken and he refused to let her get in on any of them. She wanted to belong so badly, and he just kept shoving her her away, reiterating the thought she had no place with them. I don't blame her for latching onto the first person to ever show her any sort of kindness or compassion. Leonard gave her exactly what she'd been looking for (even though he turned out to be so horrible himself--there was a reply on page 1 or 2 of this thread, someone asking if he reminded anyone of Syndrome and I had said the exact same thing to my husband). I'm actually really not one to be sympathetic when someone grows up to do horrible things because they may have had a shitty childhood, but we don't have a literal ticking time bomb hidden away inside of us. Someone else said that she tried to kill Allison. No she didn't. There was nothing intentional about her striking out at Allison. She just had years and years of anger built up inside of her, and this power feeding off of it and Allison, being unrelenting, not backing off and leaving Vanya alone when she asked, and it just exploded. One of the most frustrating things for me, when I'm upset and need time to process things or calm down, is having my husband (or anyone) harping at me non-stop, because he has to have his say right then, right there. If someone tells you to leave them alone because they are too upset to deal right at that moment, then leave them alone. I'm not saying Allison deserved to get her throat slashed, but Vanya, combined with the anger she was feeling and knowing that Allison had rumored her as a child, and was once again, about to rumor her again, you know that she was thinking "Oh no, you will not do that to me again" and she struck out, though I don't think she even realized anymore that she had the bow in her hand (at first, I thought it was a sword for some reason). You could tell she felt instant remorse, and had Leonard not pulled her away, she probably would have stayed right next to Allison. That isn't someone who is evil, that is someone who wasn't taught to control her emotions, and her power being set off by sound (and fueled by anger). And then her, coming to the realization that Leonard had manipulated her, wanting to return to her family, even though they had shunned her, wanting to make amends, feeling total guilt over what she did to Allison, and Luthor goes and locks her up, once again, reiterating all the betrayal she had suffered for decades at the hands of her family. It was really no wonder that she blew up the way she did.

Edited by Kenadi O
correcting typos... adding things
  • Love 5
On 1/18/2021 at 11:03 AM, Kenadi O said:

I'm curious as to why, even though it's set in 2019, there were no modern conveniences. I mean all the cars were from the past (70's-80's?), no computers, no cell phones, etc.

I figured that it’s a slightly alternate universe to ours, and technology has evolved differently. (Conveniently for plot! Writing is so different when you have to factor in cell phones.)

• Love 3
On 1/18/2021 at 7:03 PM, Kenadi O said:

I didn't particularly care for the Luther/Allison relationship, because for me it was just "ew." I mean I'm sorry, even though they weren't biologically (that we know of--yet) related, they were still raised as brother and sister. All I can say is that I'm glad it hasn't gone too far, but I suspect at some point, it probably will.

I'm still waiting for the reveal that Allison rumored Luther and that the last rumor we heard her speak (in the scene where she is in the car and we hear all the rumors she used over the years) of 'I heard a rumor that you loved me' was said to him. It would definitely put the downright obsession he was with her into perspective.

It would also be another instance that shows how long lasting and far reaching the effects of Allison's rumor can be, especially if it isn't specific enough. We already saw how her rumor in regards to Vanya effected Vanya's entire life, every area of her life. IMO the show never put enough emphasis on that after it was revealed. There is barely anyone in this thread who seems to realize that. And even watching some reaction videos, there were only 2 who seemed to catch on. When it comes to Luther, it would explain why he's so obsessive about her whereas she has no trouble walking away from him all the time and finding someone else. She also seems to want to keep him in her back pocket, so to speak. She gives him just enough signals and she gets upset when single Luther goes and gets laid. Meanwhile she was married and had a kid for crying out loud. That's why I've always been suspect in regards to the two of them and that Allison might have intentionally rumored him. Even if it never gets revealed that she did and this was all 'natural', it's still icky because they are family.

On 1/18/2021 at 7:03 PM, Kenadi O said:

Someone else said that she tried to kill Allison. No she didn't. There was nothing intentional about her striking out at Allison. She just had years and years of anger built up inside of her, and this power feeding off of it and Allison, being unrelenting, not backing off and leaving Vanya alone when she asked, and it just exploded. One of the most frustrating things for me, when I'm upset and need time to process things or calm down, is having my husband (or anyone) harping at me non-stop, because he has to have his say right then, right there. If someone tells you to leave them alone because they are too upset to deal right at that moment, then leave them alone.

When watching that scene my whole thought process was 'Allison, leave her be and get out and let her calm down'. So when Allison kept pushing it, I saw the bad ending coming. Especially after Vanya told Allison to leave TWICE. But Allison wouldn't let up and wouldn't leave even as the room was literally shaking in anger as much as Vanya was. Allison, you don't know the extend of her powers and neither does Vanya, what are you doing? Allison disregarding her sister's wish to be left alone twice was then followed by her trying to take her sister's agency away completely. For the second time in Vanya's life and after she had just revealed to Vanya how she had done it previously. Vanya then made a throat slicing motion with her arm as one might in that scenario as a sign of 'stop talking'. Only in Vanya's case she could actually create a sound wave that cut Allison's throat. Considering how surprised Vanya looked right after, she didn't think she could actually hurt her sister for real with such a gesture.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Smad said:

Vanya then made a throat slicing motion with her arm as one might in that scenario as a sign of 'stop talking'. Only in Vanya's case she could actually create a sound wave that cut Allison's throat. Considering how surprised Vanya looked right after, she didn't think she could actually hurt her sister for real with such a gesture.

I don't see a throat slicing motion being a sign to stop talking. I mean, I guess in a 'if you don't' shut up, I'll kill you' way lol. I agree though that Vanya absolutely did not intend to or understand that she could actually kill Allison that way.

3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't see a throat slicing motion being a sign to stop talking. I mean, I guess in a 'if you don't' shut up, I'll kill you' way lol.

I didn't know how to describe what I meant but that's kind of what I meant. Vanya was kinda flailing her arm in such a way that it was in a perfect angle with Allison's throat. It was like a 'I'm gonna cut off your ability to speak before you can mind rape me again' gesture and both of them were surprised that she actually could do it from that distance.

• Love 1
On 1/23/2021 at 2:30 PM, Smad said:

I'm still waiting for the reveal that Allison rumored Luther and that the last rumor we heard her speak (in the scene where she is in the car and we hear all the rumors she used over the years) of 'I heard a rumor that you loved me' was said to him. It would definitely put the downright obsession he was with her into perspective.

It would also be another instance that shows how long lasting and far reaching the effects of Allison's rumor can be, especially if it isn't specific enough. We already saw how her rumor in regards to Vanya effected Vanya's entire life, every area of her life. IMO the show never put enough emphasis on that after it was revealed. There is barely anyone in this thread who seems to realize that. And even watching some reaction videos, there were only 2 who seemed to catch on. When it comes to Luther, it would explain why he's so obsessive about her whereas she has no trouble walking away from him all the time and finding someone else. She also seems to want to keep him in her back pocket, so to speak. She gives him just enough signals and she gets upset when single Luther goes and gets laid. Meanwhile she was married and had a kid for crying out loud. That's why I've always been suspect in regards to the two of them and that Allison might have intentionally rumored him. Even if it never gets revealed that she did and this was all 'natural', it's still icky because they are family.

When watching that scene my whole thought process was 'Allison, leave her be and get out and let her calm down'. So when Allison kept pushing it, I saw the bad ending coming. Especially after Vanya told Allison to leave TWICE. But Allison wouldn't let up and wouldn't leave even as the room was literally shaking in anger as much as Vanya was. Allison, you don't know the extend of her powers and neither does Vanya, what are you doing? Allison disregarding her sister's wish to be left alone twice was then followed by her trying to take her sister's agency away completely. For the second time in Vanya's life and after she had just revealed to Vanya how she had done it previously. Vanya then made a throat slicing motion with her arm as one might in that scenario as a sign of 'stop talking'. Only in Vanya's case she could actually create a sound wave that cut Allison's throat. Considering how surprised Vanya looked right after, she didn't think she could actually hurt her sister for real with such a gesture.

Sorry, for some reason I can't figure out how to quote different sections, so I'll have to do it all in one big jumble here.

1. That's a very good theory about Allison and Luther. Doing it as a child, she may not have thought of the consequences, she just saw a boy she liked, not taking into consideration that he was her "brother," and wanted him to like her back, eventually growing out of that need and turning her attention to other guys, whereas Luther is forever stuck crushing on her. And with Vanya, at the time that she rumored her, at age 4, and doing what their "father" told her to do, I don't think she understood at the time exactly what she was doing, but she was being an obedient child and doing what dad told her to do and then like what many children do, she forgot all about it, until she saw (as an adult) that Vanya had powers and everything came back to her.

2. What you say about long-lasting and far reaching effects... yes, I agree. Take for example, Vanya's role as a violinist. where even as 3rd chair in her orchestra, she doubted her ability, especially when we see her practically begging for crumbs from the 1st chair. She believed herself to be so ordinary that it absolutely did affect every aspect of her life. I could even see it in the clothes she wore.

As a side-note, on the episode where we see the flashback to what happened with Allison's daughter, my husband (jokingly? LOL) asks me "Why is her husband so mad at her for that? Wouldn't we all love to be able to that to our kids?" I can't remember what I said to him, but I guess it's the whole slippery slope thing. At what point do you not use that manipulation. It was already stated that it wasn't the first time she had rumored her daughter. What if, at some point in her daughter's future, she brought home a less-than-stellar report card and Allison goes "I heard a rumor that you always got straight As," and her daughter becomes so obsessed with making straight As that it completely over takes her life, to the point where she will do anything to achieve it (even ignoring her own health--physical and mental).

3. Didn't Vanya gesture as she was holding her bow? Didn't the action of swiping her bow across the front of her cause her to slice Allison's throat? Granted with the effect of the sound waves in contribution (not the word I'm looking for, but hopefully it makes sense). I hadn't thought it just being a sound wave. I need to go back and rewatch the scene again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Kenadi O said:

Didn't Vanya gesture as she was holding her bow? Didn't the action of swiping her bow across the front of her cause her to slice Allison's throat? Granted with the effect of the sound waves in contribution (not the word I'm looking for, but hopefully it makes sense). I hadn't thought it just being a sound wave. I need to go back and rewatch the scene again.

This is ringing a bell now that you said it. I really don't remember how it went at all lol.

5 hours ago, Kenadi O said:

3. Didn't Vanya gesture as she was holding her bow? Didn't the action of swiping her bow across the front of her cause her to slice Allison's throat? Granted with the effect of the sound waves in contribution (not the word I'm looking for, but hopefully it makes sense). I hadn't thought it just being a sound wave. I need to go back and rewatch the scene again.

It's actually a scene that's badly cut together. The violin and bow are both on the couch the entire scene while they are arguing. Vanya never picks it up. Suddenly we cut to Vanya swinging the bow. But the important thing here is that two are too far apart for Vanya to cut her with the actual bow. You see that when Vanya swings it there is a white  wave from the bow to Allison's throat. You can even pause right as the scene cuts from Vanya swinging to Allison, there is white line going towards Allison's throat. So maybe it's more of an energy wave than a sound wave or maybe it's both lol. Point is, she didn't cut her with the actual bow.

• Useful 2
On 1/31/2021 at 7:03 PM, Smad said:

It's actually a scene that's badly cut together. The violin and bow are both on the couch the entire scene while they are arguing. Vanya never picks it up. Suddenly we cut to Vanya swinging the bow. But the important thing here is that two are too far apart for Vanya to cut her with the actual bow. You see that when Vanya swings it there is a white  wave from the bow to Allison's throat. You can even pause right as the scene cuts from Vanya swinging to Allison, there is white line going towards Allison's throat. So maybe it's more of an energy wave than a sound wave or maybe it's both lol. Point is, she didn't cut her with the actual bow.

Thanks for explaining it. I did think they were too far apart for it to happen, but since I saw her holding the bow after the fact, I just didn't give it more thought at the time.