Type keyword(s) to search

Season One Talk: The Umbrella Academy

• Start Topic

The spot to discuss Season One of Netflix's The Umbrella Academy!

From The Hollywood Reporter;

The 10-episode drama will launch in 2018 and is based on Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba's beloved comic of the same name.

Two years after it was put in development, Netflix has scooped up the Umbrella Academy TV series.

The streaming giant has handed out a 10-episode straight-to-series order for the adaptation of Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance) and Gabriel Ba's beloved graphic novel. The drama will launch on the streaming service in 2018.

Entering this topic after Friday, Feb. 15, 2019, will spoil you if you have not watched the series. The entire first season will drop on Netflix that day.

Spoiler tags should be used minimally; e.g. referencing future incidents in the comic book series. Because this forum is a single topic for the show, the entire ten episode first season is fair game, and should be discussed spoiler tag free.

Thank you and enjoy!

Just finished the first episode and it looks pretty good. Lots of mysterious stuff going on that doesn't makes a whole bunch of sense, but i have faith. I would watch the entire thing for the music alone if the first episode is any indication of what's coming up.

• Love 10

Definitely will keep watching past ep 1. Enough mystery and intrigue, coupled with a killer score, some great performances. I'm interested to see if the tone they chose for this carries through the entire show. Sometimes it is something that comes and goes episodically, but that would be a shame in this case. It gives the show a distinctiveness not found in your typical superhero fare.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 3

Watched the first episode, and I enjoyed it a whole lot. This is really a moment for quirky/dark indie comics getting TV/film adaptations, huh? The show has a retro vibe, although its set in the modern day (I was born in 1989 too, but I am pretty sure I was expected!) that I really like, and I am very intrigued by what master plan the kids adopted father had. I feel like he knows something about why these kids were born the way they were. 

I suspect that Vanya does actually have a power, but she is so powerful that their adopted father hid it from everyone, including her, because its too dangerous to let loose.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

Binged the whole thing and thoroughly enjoyed it. As it looks like others are still making their way through, I will say I enjoyed the world building and thought this is a fine addition to Netflix's superhero arsenal given the Disney+-motivated departures of the Marvel series and movies.

I also liked that it wasn't 85% in darkness and just dreary, unlike the Marvel series, but that could just be me!

Will return with more thoughts once others have made their way through the series...

• Love 6

The first episode was okay. I've seen reviews online, that range from "dull" to the one that was a bit much for me: "that magical dance scene". I liked the music, but the scene wasn't magical. Until you got to Five's appearance, I guess.

I'll watch the rest of it, but I read a spoiler, so I know part of what will happen. 

Edited by Anela

I just finished episode 5 and I'm really enjoying it. Who's everyone's favorite character? Even though he's in love with a mannequin, I really like Number 5. Unfortunately Robert Sheehan does have a type casting problem. But he plays the character well, and I will say he's quite entertaining. Besides him and Ellen Page, I haven't heard of any of the other siblings. 

• Love 1

I like Allison, and Vanya, but it feels like the creator is trying to be Wes Anderson. That was just the feeling I got from the family itself. I might enjoy it more as I watch more. 

I grew up in the 80's and 90's, but it seems like a lot of new shows are going for that feel, like Stranger Things, Sex Education, this show, and others. I'm not in a good mood today. I might wait until I'm in a better one, to watch the rest of it. I'm more in the mood for a binge of Brothers & Sisters, or The West Wing.

Edited by Anela
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Anela said:

I like Allison, and Vanya, but it feels like the creator is trying to be Wes Anderson. That was just the feeling I got from the family itself. I might enjoy it more as I watch more. 

I grew up in the 80's and 90's, but it seems like a lot of new shows are going for that feel, like Stranger Things, Sex Education, this show, and others. I'm not in a good mood today. I might wait until I'm in a better one, to watch the rest of it. I'm more in the mood for a binge of Brothers & Sisters, or The West Wing.

I go back and forth on liking the sisters. That's a good observation about the current shows. I haven't seen B&S but I've always like family comedy/dramas. I've seen a lot of the West Wing. But I stopped watching after some of the main characters left. 

• Love 1

Through episode six, and I very much am enjoying the world and character development. My biggest concern coming in to the series was if they would adequately flesh the members of the academy out, and I think for the most part, they've done a really good job with it. There are some minor issues, but there's a reason that I got up a little under seven hours ago and have spent a solid six on this show!

• Love 3

Klaus is by far my favorite character and I was extremely worried when IMDB only had Robert Sheehan in 5 episodes. I have made it farther than that so I am hoping that he makes it to the end. I am seeing a typecasting of Sheehan  but he does it well, he really has shown some range with the Dan story.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Arynm said:

Klaus is by far my favorite character and I was extremely worried when IMDB only had Robert Sheehan in 5 episodes. I have made it farther than that so I am hoping that he makes it to the end. 

IMDB only had MJ in three episodes, so.....

• Love 1

I just started this show today.

To my surprise (based only on the title) it does not have anything to do with Resident Evil and their Umbrella Corporation.

I really don't think there are any characters I don't like. They're all so interesting and screwed up in their own ways.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

I wasn’t too sure about this show at first-especially Luther. He just looked so ridiculous. I’m glad I stuck it out-I loved it. It was like Sense8 and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Watchman had a wild night out together and produced this. I liked the aesthetic of the show too.

Man, the siblings are all messed up. The entire time I was like “you need therapy, and you need therapy and you need therapy and you need....” Loved everyone’s growth. I can’t wait until more of you have finished your binge to talk more about them.  I liked not being spoiled for this-Even looking online, I couldnt find a whole lot to get spoiled on (I’m weak).

I hope Netflix renews for a second season. I really want to see where the siblings end up. None of the episodes felt like fillers and the story kept moving from beginning to end.

Spoilers for those done:

Spoiler

I hope they save Vanya. I think undoing what their father did will help all of them.

I also want more adventures of Ben and Klaus. I hope they can undo Ben’s death. Its interesting that Ben

1) Aged with everyone. Everyone else who was dead were stuck. I hope that means that Ben really isnt dead, or that his powers saved him somehow. Tied to a mythical beast somehow....

2) Was practically almost always around Klaus. Even when he was high-or claimed he was high we saw Ben but not the other ghouls. Which is why I dont think he’s dead. Loved when Klaus poured him coffee and pulled out his chair. No one even commented in it-I was hoping that someone would point it out.

3) Liked that Ben was constant for Klaus-he was a sober buddy! I wonder if he was in Vietnam. He did comment about Dave but I couldnt remember if he was around when Klaus was talking about it. If they bring back Ben, I hope he continues to stick with Klaus.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Last Time Lord said:

I really don't think there are any characters I don't like. They're all so interesting and screwed up in their own ways.

I would agree with this statement. It's been awhile since I have seen a show that I feel fleshed out the entire cast as well as this did.

I just finished the last episode, and the music continued to be fantastic throughout! I am really hoping that Netflix picks this up for another season, because I'd love to see the story continue.

• Love 6

Okay, a minor gripe. Something's been off to me regarding the chronology of the show for a while now, and I just chalked it up to the whole tv conceit of just handwaving how many days/weeks have gone by- particularly between episodes- in order to make it seem like not everything is happening in the span of 8 hours of showtime.

But episode 5 really made it blatant and instantly drew me out of the show when, (and for the sake of everyone I'll throw in some spoilers here):

Spoiler

In one scene Allison refers to Vanya getting "flowers yesterday, breakfast today" which fits with the timeline from episode 4, but then in the very next scene, Vanya mentions to Leonard that the first chair girl, Haley, "just stopped showing up" for practices, leading them to have auditions for first chair. Yet, we just saw Haley yesterday (ep. 4) right before Leonard invited Vanya to breakfast.

So apparently she missed one practice and they have already started looking for a new first chair within less than 24 hours?

I'm sure it could be easily handwaved away, and maybe it isn't something easily noticed, but it stood out pretty solidly to me and drew me out of the moment, so... bad.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

Justin H. Min (Ben) posted to his Instagram about the secrecy he's been living under regarding being cast:

To the biggest secret I've ever had to keep; to my friends and family who thought I was "taking a semester abroad" last year — in Toronto, Canada, no less; to my manager @joshuapasch, who, in November 2017, called to tell me I'd booked the most exciting gig of my career, only to add, "But we still have no idea who you are."; to the elation I felt upon hearing I'd be one of the Hargreeves, only to discover that all of the siblings had been cast, with the exception of...more on that later; to Netflix and their marketing team who very kindly let me know that, if anyone was to find out about my involvement with the show, I'd be fired, found, and killed; to the many, many codenames used to conceal my character's identity — Miller, Jerry, Jake, someone was calling me Rebecca at one point.
-
And finally, to No. 6, Ben Hargreeves: The boy who died but maybe lived. Maybe. Everyone, please go watch The Umbrella Academy, now available around the world on @netflix. Sending love from the grave.
#🕕 #umbrellaacademy

• Love 11

Just watched the first episode and I'm definitely in. The music is terrific - loved the Family dancing to Tiffany. 

Edited to add: Episode two was not nearly as good as Episode one. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 6

As someone who is burnt out on the super hero genre I wasn't really expecting to like this and the first couple episodes were kinda boring but once I figured out that this was working through to a super villain origin story I started to really dig it.  Ellen Page played the increasing angry and downward spiral Vanya really well.  I like a good downward spiral snd she played it with the right amount of pathos, hurt, and real anger for how she had been treated all her life.  The relationship between her and Allison and her and Pogo was really good because both relationships built to something,   

It will be interesting if there is another season, how they will build on Vanya being the cause of the end of the world and the rest of her siblings knowing it.  Also since only six of the kids of the 43 were adopted alot more good and evil can pop up in later seasons.

I like that this wasn't a pure super hero story but more a show about relationships and how to build a villian.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 10

I'm about 3 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it... EXCEPT for the ridiculousness that is Luthor.  Not the character, but the way they've made him look.  He looks like a skinny dude wearing pillows under his clothes and I'm pretty sure that's not the way he's supposed to look.  Talk about missing leg day, dude!  Whoever made the decision to look like that should be fired.  I don't think I've ever seen such a badly made up character.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, saoirse said:

A link to the season ending song, A Hazy Shade of Winter on YouTube - just the song, nothing from the show, but I really enjoyed this version!

I haven't watched past a little bit into the second episode, because I left the house for a few hours, but I found the soundtrack on youtube earlier, and this was the first song on the list. I like it, too, although I still prefer The Bangles version. 

• Useful 1
15 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I like that this wasn't a pure super hero story but more a show about relationships and how to build a villian.

THIS.

I feel like we've had so many shows in the past that just went for fights/explosions/evil villains - and while this show has plenty of fights (really well done fights, IMO in most cases!), explosions, and villains - DAMN, it's so refreshing to actually get the characters/heroes, and see their stories!

• Love 3

Watching episode 1 now. I think a lot of you might be surprised to learn that this hews pretty closely to the source material, at least so far. The "Wes Anderson makes a superhero book" vibe was there in the comics. Very stylized and weird, with so much of the weirdness being deliberately unexplained. If anything, the Netflix version is a little less weird the comics, but it gets closer than I thought possible.

If you want to check out the graphic novels, the first one corresponds with this season. It's called "Apocalypse Suite" and it's pretty awesome. I'd presume the 2nd graphic novel "Dallas" might be the source for the next season.  And I learned just now that there's a third graphic novel which I'll have to pick up.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, mustbekarma said:

I have a hard time feeling sympathy for Vanya. She murdered three nannies. The dad may have been a dick, but Vanya obviously was out of control at an early age.

I missed that. Was it in the first episode? 

2 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Watching episode 1 now. I think a lot of you might be surprised to learn that this hews pretty closely to the source material, at least so far. The "Wes Anderson makes a superhero book" vibe was there in the comics. Very stylized and weird, with so much of the weirdness being deliberately unexplained. If anything, the Netflix version is a little less weird the comics, but it gets closer than I thought possible.

It's nice to know that I wasn't off in my feeling there. 🙂

• Love 1

Finished it earlier today and I enjoyed it.  There was quite a bit that was different from the comics but I liked that for the most part.  Sure there were a few little things that I was bummed about being altered but it kept it interesting that I didn't know exactly how things were going to play out.  And I had a feeling that they would tone down some of the weird/silly stuff so there being less of that wasn't surprising.

Number Five and Klaus are my two favorite characters from the comics and now the show as well.

As Chaos Theory mentioned, I think Ellen Page did a good job slowly slipping into that villainous, destructive mind set.

I was excited to see Ben hanging around as a spirit throughout the series.  He's pretty much non-existent in the comics (except for a couple of flashbacks to when they were younger) so it was really nice for him to get to be involved in some way.

I was a bit disappointed at first with how different Hazel and Cha Cha were from their comic counterparts but I understand the change since they had a more expanded role in the show.  I remember them being really manic, crazy, constantly on a sugar high but they were only around for a couple of issues versus being in almost every episode.  If they were like that it probably would have gotten annoying after a couple of episodes.

Absolutely loved the music.

The fight scenes were pretty cool too.  Especially Five's with the way he can teleport around.

Would definitely watch a second season of this.

Did anyone else keep thinking about Syndrome from The Incredibles after seeing Leonard's backstory? 

Also, any other comic readers checking to see if Robert Sheehan was barefoot or not while watching the first episode or two?  I was curious as to whether the show would have Klaus' "can't use his powers when he has shoes on" thing and was hyper vigilant to check his footwear status.

1 hour ago, Anela said:

I missed that. Was it in the first episode? 

No, it wasn't in the first episode.  You get to that later on.

Edited by DarlingClementine
  • Love 1

The show is engaging, all the characters have something to bring (even though I could not stomach Luther through and through).

The Hazel and Cha Cha duo wacky and from a seemingly all-powerful organisation remainded me of the UK show Utopia.

The unfortunate bit is the story of Vanya and her obvious boyfriend. Even whith her being desperate for acceptance, the number of passes he gets is just sad to watch. It becomes a show of convenience to get the Vanya story going and unfoldning.

The Vanya story or the Dark Phoenix Saga all over again. Did we get enough shots of X-Men 3? The Vanya VS  Lame Boyfriend was the same as Jean Grey VS Charles Xavier in the movie, even the house looked the same. I know, they were self-aware and that scene was a reference/parody... but we get too many similarities and it becomes lazy. Cyclops goes to look for Jean, joy and confusion, death of Cyclops. Allison goes to look for Vanya, joy and confusion, death of Allison (almost). The count grows.

It makes for a predictible and dissapointing final in what remains an otherwise pleasant show.

Edited by JonasArm
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, mustbekarma said:

I have a hard time feeling sympathy for Vanya. She murdered three nannies. The dad may have been a dick, but Vanya obviously was out of control at an early age.

Same here overall enjoyed the show.. But I felt little sympathy for vanya.. Yes she was separated... But Klaus got locked in a masoleum... Sir Reginald did horrible things to all of them.. And it appears he went out of his way to find something to keep her from indulging her darker impulses.... Also watching the Leonard archer unfold was uncomfortable he was a manipulative emotional abuser and seeing her succumb because of her own feelings of inadequacy and jealousy was a bummer... And that's what it really comes down she was jealous.. Especially of Allison.. And I mean I see how it could happen... But I feel if the show was trying to garner sympathy for Vanya.. They needed to be a bit more explicit when it came to how the siblings treated her as kids.. We really only saw them when it was mission or training related and as they all believed ahead didnt have powers she couldnt be included... But they all grew up.. And she still wrote that book... And that scene where she tried to kill Allison.. That's pure villany... So was a bit upset that they had Allison as the one feeling like it was her fault I guess its still a case of leave it to the black lady to shoulder the emotional load... I am hoping for more seasons.. I want to see more of them tap into more powers.. Already five and Klaus ( so also Ben)  have exhibited enhancements from when they were crime fighting... Obviously Vanya has powered up... So I'm hoping Luther Diego and Allison will as well... Also there is the question of the other children the rest of their "siblings" and finally an answer to that cold open in the finale when sir Reginald was somewhere with his wife and the violin and he let something into the air while rockets were blasting off... Next thing you know he's in NYC... I'd like to know Where he was.. When he was.. What was in that jar ( was it something that eventually led to the siblings?)  Finally.. Vanya murdered Pogo.. Mom and a gang of Nannies so screw her

• Love 13

I just watched the first episode and I think I like it. It was kind of slow but I like the brooding gothic horror mood they're creating. I'd like a bit more humor. It was fun to see Billy from Black Sails, which I'm currently watching season 3. I didn't know they were going to go back and forth with adult and teen stories but I really like that it's not all teen angst. I can empathize more with adult angst.

I'm not going to read any more of this forum until I finish the series since I don't want to be spoiled. So, see Y'all later.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

But she was just an out of control kid.  All of them exhibited out of control tendencies 

She knew what she was doing by the second nanny.. I don't remember Luther killing anyone.. Yeah Klaus turned to drugs.. But partly to keep the ghosts away.. Five was just full of hubris and ended up in the future.. We don't know much about Allison other than her using her power on her kid.. Vanya came out the box a destroyer.. Then the years of resentment piled on.. 

• Love 14

My only criticisms are Vanya's story and the poor decision making in the last couple of episodes were cliched, but they weren't so egregious that I couldn't enjoy the overall story.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Most of the characters were pretty fleshed out for only having 10 episodes.

• Love 3

Vanya's story--outcome is more like it--was not my favorite but it did not diminish my overall feeling that I enjoyed the series.  Honestly, I had to handwave quite a bit concrning the children's upbringing. I mean how did Pogo and old man Hargreeves not expect each and every one of them not to turn out fucked up with how they were raised? So everything to do with that was a headscratcher that I had to just ignore for furthering the plot (even having a plot) sake. 

Because of me having to reconcile that this story would not be if the adults had some sense, what bothered me most was Leonard and his obvious manipulation of Vanya. The whole Leonard character just bugged. At one point, I was hoping he was a time-traveling version of Five who was trying to get Vanya to realize her power and stop the Apocalypse. Would that have made him more likable to me? No. But I would be able to handwave his douchey manipulation.

Still, I really liked this show.

• Love 10

Don’t know the source material, coming into this blind. I’m on episode 7 and this just feels agonizingly slow. I feel like we’ve spent forever in the same material. So much time is spent on the least interesting (to me) characters (Allison and Luther), while Klaus spends so many episodes tied up/tortured/incoherent. Five is super watchable, but goes missing for long stretches.

Vanya is obviously the key so early on, and her boyfriend is obviously a bad guy so early on, and you just have to spend soooo much time waiting for the show to realize we already know this. 

Legion was so much more surreal and stylized than this could ever be, so a lot of that part is lost on me or fails to land. (I recognize that Legion (probably?) had a much bigger budget.)

I understand the idea of “family psychodrama first, supernatural elements second”, but Haunting of Hill House just did that so much better a few months ago. (Dysfunctional family reunited due to death of a member. One sibling outcast for writing a tell-all. One sibling an addict. One sibling has a legit superpower.) HHH also handles the fractured-timeline narrative structure much better, and each episode has a clear arc. It also layers in the supernatural elements appropriately. I don’t think I’ve seen adult Allison use her powers once.

I also wish that mid-season timeline reset wasn’t necessary. It really feels like this only had enough material for a movie.

And finally ... the retro conceit of no one having a cellphone was unearned. 

I think I’m about to skip 8-9 and at least see what the finale is like. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 8

I thought that Alison should have flat out said, "I was 5" when Vanya yelled at her about making her forget her powers. Alison was a child and her dad told her to do something, she had no idea what she was doing and probably didn't figure it out until Vanya getting her powers triggered the memory. I am not a fan of Vanya at all. She was treated just as badly as the rest of them and she was a murderer by 5 years old. Something had to be done with her. Plus she murdered Pogo so she can rot for all I care.

• Love 22

I wasn't sure about this show at first, but by episode 6 I was hooked. This is like a what if Professor X was a complete asshole story. My only real compliant was how ridiculous Luthor looked. They probably saved on doing all CGI for him but he just looked like he was wearing pillows under his clothes. And Vanya's boyfriend having an agenda was obvious from the start. 

Anyway I liked this as the making of a villain show. Yes, Vanya is partly to blame along with her siblings, however I think the father is the main person to blame. He suppressed her powers and with that on top of her anger of being eluded her whole life, that was bound to end in an explosion. Plus if he had showed an ounce of caring maybe he could've got her to not kill her nannies. All he kept doing was replacing them instead of telling her it was wrong. She was what 4 years old? It doesn't seem like he tried very hard to help her learn to control her darker impulses. 

I liked Klaus and Ben, and especially when Klaus was able to release Ben's powers. They are probably all stronger then they realized but Reginald was a horrible teacher. Or maybe he wanted this to happen since he let Vanya take his wife's violin. Also was he an Alien, his flashback looked like it was on another planet? 

I think Alison blames herself for listening to their dumbass father. I know it's not rational but it's human and by the time she was trying to explain that Vanya she was already too far gone in her anger to listen to reason. I think they did actually ignore for more than just the missions. Once they became famous she was just in the way. So Alison blames herself for that too. As we saw they never consulted her about anything and most of the time they were like she doesn't matter. When if fact she did matter, she was who Five was looking for the whole time. If Reginald didn't make her so separate and kept her powers a secret then they would've known it was her. He's the real villain and he's the reason they are all messed up. 

The actor playing Five did a good job playing an adult in a kid's body. It was interesting seeing Kate Walsh in this, I'm so used to her doing regular roles. 

• Love 17
33 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I wasn't sure about this show at first, but by episode 6 I was hooked. This is like a what if Professor X was a complete asshole story. My only real compliant was how ridiculous Luthor looked. They probably saved on doing all CGI for him but he just looked like he was wearing pillows under his clothes. And Vanya's boyfriend having an agenda was obvious from the start. 

Anyway I liked this as the making of a villain show. Yes, Vanya is partly to blame along with her siblings, however I think the father is the main person to blame. He suppressed her powers and with that on top of her anger of being eluded her whole life, that was bound to end in an explosion. Plus if he had showed an ounce of caring maybe he could've got her to not kill her nannies. All he kept doing was replacing them instead of telling her it was wrong. She was what 4 years old? It doesn't seem like he tried very hard to help her learn to control her darker impulses. 

I liked Klaus and Ben, and especially when Klaus was able to release Ben's powers. They are probably all stronger then they realized but Reginald was a horrible teacher. Or maybe he wanted this to happen since he let Vanya take his wife's violin. Also was he an Alien, his flashback looked like it was on another planet? 

I think Alison blames herself for listening to their dumbass father. I know it's not rational but it's human and by the time she was trying to explain that Vanya she was already too far gone in her anger to listen to reason. I think they did actually ignore for more than just the missions. Once they became famous she was just in the way. So Alison blames herself for that too. As we saw they never consulted her about anything and most of the time they were like she doesn't matter. When if fact she did matter, she was who Five was looking for the whole time. If Reginald didn't make her so separate and kept her powers a secret then they would've known it was her. He's the real villain and he's the reason they are all messed up. 

The actor playing Five did a good job playing an adult in a kid's body. It was interesting seeing Kate Walsh in this, I'm so used to her doing regular roles. 

For me Kate Walsh was annoying. I haven't seen her in a lot of roles anyway. I'm not sure what it was, but she just irritated me. It may be too early to declare this, but Aiden Gallagher is the break out IMO of the show. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, AllThatJazz91 said:

Aiden Gallagher is the break out IMO of the show. 

Five made the show for me, both the character and the actor. I'm on the opposite end of the Nickelodeon age spectrum and hadn't heard of him before, but apparently he's multi-talented: environmentalist, U.N. ambassador, singer, songwriter, composer, guitar and piano player.

I've seen a lot of online comments from people who favor Klaus, but I just can't with his twitchy junkie self and sarcastic nihilism.

• Love 10