Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Episode 6 2018.07.22

• Start Topic

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:43 PM, WaltersHair said:

And it has to be a trope that if a character is given or purchases a heavy statue, then said statue will be used against another human's head for the purposes of muder. Please see: The Talented Mr Ripley.

And How to Get Away with Murder.  I certainly hope this series doesn't end on another murder.   This final season seems to be more about forgiveness, moving on, and probably returning to your original mate as resolution.  How does another murder help this along?

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:25 AM, Toodleoo said:

Heh, I used to hate it as well but it's grown on me and now I wish it was on iTunes.  *slinks away*

I actually like the song because I like Fiona Apple.  But I've always found it disturbing that the song is sung from the POV of the ocean, which is responsible for Gabriel's death.  This season's showing the main four actually under water in the ocean is bordering macabre for me.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

On the other hand, I know everyone hates Alison, but come along now.  Discovering in one day:  Your father has lived a stone's throw away your entire life, was the subject of the nightmare that's followed you since childhood, clearly only made contact to get your kidney, raped your mother which makes you a product of rape, rejected your entire existence, then a side of the guy who's pursuing you and with whom you've shared a traumatic memory has actually been lining you up as his side piece.  If that's a typical day for "grown-ass, responsible adults", I fear for the world.  People have gone postal and/or suicidal for much less.  Alison was seeking out someone she trusted.  Like every other adult on this show, she's written as having no friends other than those she's fucked in the past.  I blame the show for the terrible decision to put these characters on opposite coasts.

And Joanie has a long way to go before she turns into an asshole Holloway spawn.

All of this is true, she had a colossally shitty day, but she also had a child at home that she didn't bother to make arrangements for until she was already on the plane.  And she didn't so much make arrangements as respond to a "please pick up your phone" text message with "I'm flying to California, keep Joanie safe!"  At least Cole discussed it with Luisa before he took off so he wasn't just abandoning Joanie without so much as a second thought like Alison was.  Besides all of that, most adults with responsibilities don't just hop on a plane across the country in response to super colossally shitty atypically bad days.  One time on a Saturday when I was in the car driving to the store I decided to just keep driving and get out of the city in response to a shitty week that was one too many in a string of shitty weeks and went up the coast and just had a nice getaway, but I was back in time for work on Monday which was the only responsibility I had at the time.  Once you get responsibilities like kids you cant do that shit.

• Love 10
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, NutMeg said:

I was thinking Damages (season 1), but Ripley works well too.

I never like Helen or Alison more as when they share a scene together. Helen as viewed by Alison is one powerful kick-ass woman.

As for their respective taste in music, it's Helen 1, Alison 0 for me so far (Lucinda Williams' music was used to much more powerful effect too).

The two actors have the best chemistry, next to Alison/Cole.  They each view the other as cooler than themselves.  Remember Helen's POV of Alison in the view?  The circumstance was lame, but is worth the two sharing scenes, IMO.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, poeticlicensed said:

The whole Allison storyline  was implausible. So Allison's dad, Otter, is presumably rich, and has tons of resources to draw on, yet his only pathway to Allison is through her mother? A PI could probably find her in a hot minute and he could approach her himself. The whole thing makes no sense. And on top of that, she simply sends a text to someone (Athena? Luisa?) and says take care of Joanie and takes off? Um really? You would think that she would want to keep Joanie close to her. 

The plane thing was also OTT. I realize it's her POV, but Jesus lady, handle your shit. Anyone with a half a brain could tell Mr. Friendly was going to try to pull some shit. How does a women who works, is a mother and a nurse and comports herself in society so freaking unable to take care of herself? It's like she is perpetually an adolescent victim. A few years ago, my teen daughter got seated next to a handsy drunk. I was across the aisle. As soon as I figured out what was happening, I quickly changed places with her, shot him a don't mess with me gaze an reported him to the flight attendant. He shut up for the rest of the flight. I find it incredibly hard to believe that Allison, who is a COUNSELOR,  has so few life skills. Also, can you order two drinks at once on a plane? And I know it's just a detail, but I know you can order a double, but 2 bottles of wine? Maybe in first, but I doubt they would honor that in coach. I did LOL in that they gave her Sutter Home, the piss water of wine. 

Then she is clearly having a panic attack in the car. The best thing Noah, who is a god damn teacher and should know, because he works with kids, is to pull over and let it run it's course. Even if he freaked out, who takes their ex who they had an affair with to their ex's house that they cheated on? Go to the damn ER!!

At least Allison's part was entertaining. I was like WTF the whole time. 

Joanie was safe with her grandmother.  I once saw my mother having a panic attack as a child, and it was utterly terrifying.  It's likely Alison was planning an overnight stay.  I'm not sure how long Cole was gone, but it sounded like he was planning on staying until he discovered himself.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:10 PM, Giant Misfit said:

YESSSS! I laughed out loud on that one. Or at least ask them for their drink ticket! Those seats were definitely not first class. 

It's the only remarkable role I remember him playing. He will never not be Otter.

I've always loved him as the eldest brother in Yours, Mine and Ours.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

All of this is true, she had a colossally shitty day, but she also had a child at home that she didn't bother to make arrangements for until she was already on the plane.  And she didn't so much make arrangements as respond to a "please pick up your phone" text message with "I'm flying to California, keep Joanie safe!"  At least Cole discussed it with Luisa before he took off so he wasn't just abandoning Joanie without so much as a second thought like Alison was.  Besides all of that, most adults with responsibilities don't just hop on a plane across the country in response to super colossally shitty atypically bad days.  One time on a Saturday when I was in the car driving to the store I decided to just keep driving and get out of the city in response to a shitty week that was one too many in a string of shitty weeks and went up the coast and just had a nice getaway, but I was back in time for work on Monday which was the only responsibility I had at the time.  Once you get responsibilities like kids you cant do that shit.

The text was stupid.  Alison had to go home to get some things so it's silly that she wouldn't have talked to Athena then.  Cole made a decision that took a minute and then he was on the road.  All the parents are irresponsible in one way or the other.  Helen was drunk and high with an unrestrained daughter when she got into an accident.  Even Luisa gave up a custody battle of Joanie (when she still swears that Alison is an unfit mother) to get Alison away from Cole.  I wish they would improve the way they write these characters as parents, but that ship has sailed.  But then none of the main four characters had a decent parent, other than presumably Noah's mother.

I was actually pissed when Alison's sperm donor vilified evil Athena after last week's evil Cherry storyline.  God knows these poor men have to fuck around when married to such bitches.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:15 PM, Bandolero said:

I think Noah was so wrong for sharing the essay with the principal. He should have suggested that Antoine  share it with his mom instead. Noah is just way out of line.

Are there not rules about principals fraternizing with teachers? Seems really murky to me. 

You would think.  If Noah were the principle there would be endless comments calling him a predator.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, Maximona said:

Doesn't Alison's mother know how to block phone numbers?

And didn't Alison just make a kazillion $$$ from the sale of the Lobster Roll, which should be enough to pay her own damn bail without phoning Noah?

Apart from those two things, I quite liked this episode.  Particularly the Alison half.  It's really true that sturm und drang fades as the years go by, particularly when there are kids in the picture whom everyone is helping to raise, so that in the end you become—if not exactly friends with your exes and their currents—then, at least, family.

Alison has had a profound revelation, partly catalyzed by the discovery that this image that's been haunting her for years—the pair of arms pulling her up out of the water—is a memory not a fantasy, and partly catalyzed by her conversation with Helen:  She can rescue herself!  I like this revelation.

I've been mauled by a stranger on an airplane, complained about it to a steward and been told, There's nothing we can do.  Please sit down.  This was in the pre-#MeToo days.  Alison's subsequent behavior did seem a bit over the top—I just calmly told the guy in question that if he touched me again, I would cut off his balls—but then again, Alison was having a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

PS:  I like the Fiona Apple opening number.  And I think its sea imagery is very clever, particularly since drownings have been such a recurrent theme with this show.  It demonstrates that the showrunner has done some serious foreshadowing.

Is it possible to bail one's self out of jail?  It seems like even rich people on TV always call someone.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:24 PM, Bandolero said:

Yep Noah’s son was incredibly disrespectful. I’m glad that Noah is trying to be in his kids lives though. Helen almost seems to love the kids turning on Noah. She also should have called Trevor on the disrespect and not enable it.

Also wanted to add that driving to someone’s office... someone you barely know is kinda crazy to me. Doesn’t Alison have other people she can turn to. She seems to have latched on to Ben rather quickly.

Helen also allowed Trevor to scream fuck you or fuck off to Vic and simply shrugged her shoulders.  Since she doesn't respect her own parents maybe she thinks it's normal.  But she did allow her kids to hate Noah for years for a murder he didn't commit and did little to dissuade it.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:22 AM, CarpeFelis said:

Just a nitpick, but the statue was Krishna (as in the Hare Krishnas), not Kushna.

My CC said Krishna.  Did she actually say Kushna?

3 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

So with Vik dying soon and Luisa getting booted because Cole is oh so in love with Alison , that'll bring us back to the core 4. Oh yea and the principal who can't resist Noah . But she'll be short term . I kinda like that we don't know who's gonna end up with who by the end of the show . Most shows are predictable with that stuff but I think they all are pretty much over each other at this point ( except Cole isn't over Alison ) .. I think Alison is over him though so if they end up back together , it'll be short term because she needs to find someone with a husband to cheat with in order to feel fulfilled . 

For me it's been pretty clear since last season that the main four will be with their original spouses.  At least it's been super clear with Cole/Alison.  It was less so with Helen/Noah because he seemed to truly despise her after serving time for her.  Tonight they threw in intimacy between them that made Alison a little uncomfortable, so I think Helen will be turning to Noah after Vic dies or dumps her.  I don't really care to see her nursing him to his death after he admitted he was only with her to piss off his parents, and never wanted a child with her until he was dying.  Even Helen doesn't deserve that.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

The text was stupid.  Alison had to go home to get some things so it's silly that she wouldn't have talked to Athena then.  Cole made a decision that took a minute and then he was on the road.  All the parents are irresponsible in one way or the other.  Helen was drunk and high with an unrestrained daughter when she got into an accident.  Even Luisa gave up a custody battle of Joanie (when she still swears that Alison is an unfit mother) to get Alison away from Cole.  I wish they would improve the way they write these characters as parents, but that ship has sailed.  But then none of the main four characters had a decent parent, other than presumably Noah's mother.

I was actually pissed when Alison's sperm donor vilified evil Athena after last week's evil Cherry storyline.  God knows these poor men have to fuck around when married to such bitches.

Did she go home to get stuff?  There's no evidence of that.  It looks like she had a purse (the same brown one she's carrying all episode), not an overnight bag, and the pajamas she's wearing at the end look more like something Helen would own.  A suitcase is never shown.  The text messages imply she didn't go home.  When you run away on the spur of the moment you just buy shit when you get there.  They are all pretty much unfit parents, but I think Alison is the most unstable and unfit, maybe aside from Athena.  I guess Ali learned from the best.  

55 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

The two actors have the best chemistry, next to Alison/Cole.  They each view the other as cooler than themselves.  Remember Helen's POV of Alison in the view?  The circumstance was lame, but is worth the two sharing scenes, IMO.

Joanie was safe with her grandmother.  I once saw my mother having a panic attack as a child, and it was utterly terrifying.  It's likely Alison was planning an overnight stay.  I'm not sure how long Cole was gone, but it sounded like he was planning on staying until he discovered himself.

I've always loved him as the eldest brother in Yours, Mine and Ours.

What makes it likely that Alison was planning at all, let alone planning an overnight stay?  It seems unlikely she'd hop on a cross country flight for an overnight stay.  Her previous episodes of running away have lasted months.  

• Love 2
On 7/22/2018 at 9:13 PM, Giant Misfit said:

The most maddening aspect of the show was Noah barging into the principal's office (I forget her name and have no real reason to know it because she'll be given the "french lady from S2" treatment at the end of this season anyway) and mansplaining to her boss about the incident at the school. WTF? She was perfectly capable of handling her own damn business without him having to handle it for her.

I found that interesting and in keeping with the theme of the show. The school board president on the other end of the phone had a completely different estimation of competence, a completely different assessment of who was the solution and who was the problem, when it came to the white man instead of the black woman. Once again demonstrating, as this show does so well, that our POV governs our reality.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Oh, I definitely believe Athena - she seemed pretty traumatized, and had no time to make up a story.  I knew Daddy and his trophy wife had bad intentions from the moment they opened the door. I guessed a minute in that he needed a kidney or bone marrow.  Living a bike's ride distance from Alison her entire life, and never doing shit for her.

I know the popular complaint about Alison is that she's a perpetual victim, but I've always viewed her as feeling powerless.  There's a difference.  There's also a type of man who can smell this on a woman a mile away.  

I blame Ben 100% in that equation, and I'm not sure how Alison can be blamed for his hiding of a wife.  Even Oscar had predatorial douche vibes before he was re-written as Cole's happy dad BFF.

Excellent point about Alison being powerless. Maybe that is part of her personality, or part of the fallout from having to bury her child.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

For me it's been pretty clear since last season that the main four will be with their original spouses.  At least it's been super clear with Cole/Alison.  It was less so with Helen/Noah because he seemed to truly despise her after serving time for her.  Tonight they threw in intimacy between them that made Alison a little uncomfortable, so I think Helen will be turning to Noah after Vic dies or dumps her.  I don't really care to see her nursing him to his death after he admitted he was only with her to piss off his parents, and never wanted a child with her until he was dying.  Even Helen doesn't deserve that.

They did throw in a cutesy line or 2 with them but other than that , Noah seems sort of repulsed by Helen and I've never seen any hint of him missing her . But then again the shows not over and if the writers want them back together , they can make it happen . But it would be pretty terrible to have Helen go back to Noah after what he did to her . He not only cheated on her but never wanted to work on their marriage . He just threw her away for duck lips #2

• Love 4

nit-pick, they were on different sides of the country with different oceans, not different sides of the same ocean. 

Oops - typo. I meant to write "on the other side of the country" not "the other side of the ocean."

Vic has never been that kind and gentle, even when telling last week's parent's that their daughter had cancer.

I had no issue with the way Vik talked to the parents. First, he wasn't telling them their daughter had cancer - he told them he found tumors, which weren't unexpected - and they needed to be biopsied to see what they were. Not the greatest news but not the worst either. I thought he had an appropriate tone; led by telling them the surgery went well and the kid was recovering as expected and letting them know what the next steps were.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I agree, I think we will ultimately end up with the original couples back together...only...I don’t see Helen turning to Noah...I see Noah turning to her. She knows she “can’t luve without him”...but I think she has put up fierce walls to keep herself from getting hurt again. Noah will “be Noah” and keep inserting himself into the equation (maybe to be there for his grieving children), but if Helen cracks, he will swoop in to pick up the pieces. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

They did throw in a cutesy line or 2 with them but other than that , Noah seems sort of repulsed by Helen and I've never seen any hint of him missing her . But then again the shows not over and if the writers want them back together , they can make it happen . But it would be pretty terrible to have Helen go back to Noah after what he did to her . He not only cheated on her but never wanted to work on their marriage . He just threw her away for duck lips #2

I think the only POV where Noah doesn't seem to despise Helen is Alison's and that's probably her insecurity/jealousy coloring the view.  He definitely gave her some eyes in Alison's POV.  But when it comes to how Noah feels about Helen, I think his POV is probably more true since we're talking about his feelings and he always portrays her as a shrew actively trying to keep him away from his kids.   

• Love 5

I find it hard to believe that Noah would ever want to be with Helen again but I guess anything is possible. She just doesn’t come across as a very pleasant person to be around. Of course, Noah is no peach himself.

I truly hope that ship has sailed.

• Love 2
On 7/22/2018 at 10:23 PM, chick binewski said:

Ten bucks says that Kushna statue is the season finale murder weapon. With possibly Otter as the victim.

Two random thoughts: 1. I floved Ben's wife when she appeared on S1 of UnReal. 2. I cannot stop laughing at how inconvenient both Helen and Alison find the Pacific Ocean.

It’s been a while... which character was she on Unreal?

On 7/23/2018 at 12:36 PM, poeticlicensed said:

Also, can you order two drinks at once on a plane? And I know it's just a detail, but I know you can order a double, but 2 bottles of wine? Maybe in first, but I doubt they would honor that in coach. I did LOL in that they gave her Sutter Home, the piss water of wine. 

Ok, I’m not proud, but I can confirm that you can receive 2 bottles of wine at once in coach. 

I experienced this last March. In NYC with my four kids to see Hamilton. Staying with our gracious friend in his 2-bedroom apartment. Massive winter storm hits (24+ inches). We are stuck in the city for two extra days, and two extra nights.

We finally get to Newark for our flight. I order a glass of wine as we wait at the gate. Kids have chicken tenders or something like that. Newark has this thing where you can sit at the gate, and order from a touch screen without having to leave your seat! Well, due to weather, we end up spending 5 hours at the gate, my one glass becomes three. When we get on the plane, I order two more glasses of ? Don’t judge! Four kids, small apartment.

In my defense, my husband was along and handled the kids. We finally made it home. All good.

• Love 7

Ok, I’m not proud, but I can confirm that you can receive 2 bottles of wine at once in coach. 

I experienced this last March. In NYC with my four kids to see Hamilton. Staying with our gracious friend in his 2-bedroom apartment. Massive winter storm hits (24+ inches). We are stuck in the city for two extra days, and two extra nights.

We finally get to Newark for our flight. I order a glass of wine as we wait at the gate. Kids have chicken tenders or something like that. Newark has this thing where you can sit at the gate, and order from a touch screen without having to leave your seat! Well, due to weather, we end up spending 5 hours at the gate, my one glass becomes three. When we get on the plane, I order two more glasses of ? Don’t judge! Four kids, small apartment.

In my defense, my husband was along and handled the kids. We finally made it home. All good.

One glass per kid plus one for yourself. Sounds about right.

• Love 9

I've not only been able to get even more than two drinks per flight (I think as long as you don't act like an asshole or pass out, they don't care) I've had really nice flight attendants just give me extras "for later" up front for free.  What I did find weird was the guy introduced himself by name right away. I've been traveling since childhood and I've never had anyone do that. (I'm no Alison, I guess!) I mean yes usually if you make eye contact you nod or say a quick hi or whatever but nobody says hi I'm Dave or whatever. Why would I need to know his name? Am I taking messages for him? And if they did I'd find it not only too much too soon but I wouldn't give my name back out of some knee jerk "I have to be polite" reaction. Just the opposite in fact I'd be on guard and watch the shared arm rest situation because that's next I'm sure. So I think the scene was kind of about how he was pushy and she was compliant/passive. No need to knock the poor old lady on her ass, though. That read as over the top and weirdly choreographed as the neighbor's trash cans to me.

• Love 9
(edited)
4 hours ago, Bandolero said:

I find it hard to believe that Noah would ever want to be with Helen again but I guess anything is possible. She just doesn’t come across as a very pleasant person to be around. Of course, Noah is no peach himself.

I truly hope that ship has sailed.

Why would anyone expect Helen to be “pleasant” in regards to Noah? Let’s not forget what a fool he made out of her,  destroyed their life, he came home...only to screw Alison IN HELENS BED!! I know people keep saying he went to jail for Helen...but really, it wasn’t until they were going to call Alison to the stand did he jump up and confess! And, eventually Helen found that out too...the sacrifice wasn’t really for her. Not to mention, there was that drug infused sex-gone-non consensual...which I guess we were to conclude took place...that was the last time they ever had any physical contact at all. 

So....aside from “playing it cool”in front of the kids...why should Helen be nice? I’d say she’s done her best to move on from a world of hurt...but not sure there can ever true forgiveness. 

And now...she gets to watch her S.O die a crappy death. And possibly give birth to a baby she doesn’t want!! Misery!!

Then again...there’s always Season 5??

Edited by Lozu68
  • Love 10
12 minutes ago, Lozu68 said:

Why would anyone expect Helen to be “pleasant” in regards to Noah? Let’s not forget what a fool he made out of her,  destroyed their life, he came home...only to screw Alison IN HELENS BED!! I know people keep saying he went to jail for Helen...but really, it wasn’t until they were going to call Alison to the stand did he jump up and confess! And, eventually Helen found that out too...the sacrifice wasn’t really for her. Not to mention, there was that drug infused sex-gone-non consensual...which I guess we were to conclude took place...that was the last time they ever had any physical contact at all. 

So....aside from “playing it cool”in front of the kids...why should Helen be nice? I’d say she’s done her best to move on from a world of hurt...but not sure there can ever true forgiveness. 

And now...she gets to watch her S.O die a crappy death. And possibly give birth to a baby she doesn’t want!! Misery!!

Then again...there’s always Season 5??

ITA with your entire post but I must once again add that not only did Noah and Alison fuck in Helen's bed but Alison used Helen's high end hair products!

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, DiabLOL said:

ITA with your entire post but I must once again add that not only did Noah and Alison fuck in Helen's bed but Alison used Helen's high end hair products!

HAHA!!! ??Not only did she use the shampoo....then she just dumped it down the drain!!! That’s just wrong!!

Remember, she broke Helen’s oil/vinegar decanter too...I always wondered if Helen figured that out?!

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Lozu68 said:

HAHA!!! ??Not only did she use the shampoo....then she just dumped it down the drain!!! That’s just wrong!!

Remember, she broke Helen’s oil/vinegar decanter too...I always wondered if Helen figured that out?!

Oh I forgot about that now I'm doubly furious all over again. Both are worse transgressions than screwing Noah!

• Love 7

No need to knock the poor old lady on her ass, though

I thought that Alison did that completely by accident - she had her back to the lady and backed into her, knocking her over. 

That guy was an ass though. I hope he had a long wait and a long connecting flight and had to spend hours and hours in a sticky, wine soaked shirt. Dickhead.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I thought that Alison did that completely by accident - she had her back to the lady and backed into her, knocking her over.

Oh I did too what I was trying to say was that the whole way it happened looked improbable to me. Like it was done purely for over the topness of it all.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lozu68 said:

Alison probably fucked up all the Le Creuset too, just to be spiteful.

• Love 3

I will take it one further. Not only do I think that the original couples will wind up being together at the conclusion of the series, I keep thinking that Vik & Helen's next door neighbor will be pregnant with Vik's baby.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/25/2018 at 12:08 AM, RedheadZombie said:

This.  The last person Alison should be around is Joanie if she's going to be freaking out/upset.  My first memory is seeing my mother crying and it frightened me.    To be strong and stable around young kids is far more important than just being there, imo.

That said,  Alison getting her shit together wouldn't be nearly as interesting to watch.  I only hope her job in the mental health field hasn't been jeopardized by this latest fiasco. ;-)

Edited by Razzberry
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Razzberry said:

I only hope her job in the mental health field hasn't been jeopardized by this latest fiasco. ;-)

That brings to mind the absolute horror of that shot in which the tween on the plane is capturing Alison in restraints. The evil grin on her face as she contemplates the Twitter hits she'll get was as frightening to me as anything in The Shining

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Razzberry said:

This.  The last person Alison should be around is Joanie if she's going to be freaking out/upset.  My first memory is seeing my mother crying and it frightened me.    To be strong and stable around young kids is far more important than just being there, imo.

That said,  Alison getting her shit together wouldn't be nearly as interesting to watch.  I only hope her job in the mental health field hasn't been jeopardized by this latest fiasco. ;-)

Yeah, but make arrangements for your kid before you hop on a cross-country flight.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

That brings to mind the absolute horror of that shot in which the tween on the plane is capturing Alison in restraints. The evil grin on her face as she contemplates the Twitter hits she'll get was as frightening to me as anything in The Shining

Wow, yes, that was chilling.

I wonder if Luisa will see the video on social media, and try to use that to make her immigration case.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I for some reason often run into bizarro situations while traveling, and sometimes I'll share pictures of the people involved along with the story, but never pictures of their faces.

That scene struck such a nerve with me that from now on I'll just paint those pictures with words.

• Love 1
On 7/25/2018 at 6:13 PM, Emme said:

It’s been a while... which character was she on Unreal?

She played Faith, who I believe on her hometown date came to terms with being in love with her best friend.

Probably not a spoiler for UnReal fans but I'll cloak what was in the news awhile ago anyway:

Spoiler

Faith is back for the final season airing now on Hulu

I will say though that although the Helen from Alisons point of view isn't accurate to any other PoV we've seen I do like that in Alisons point of view Helen is one of the few people she views as being able to see right through her victim bullshit. 

• Love 1

Only Alison could make herself the victim in her mothers rape. Jesus.

In her defense, it's not uncommon for children who are the product of rape to be pretty messed up about it. The guilt alone...

• Love 4
On 2018-07-22 at 10:13 PM, Giant Misfit said:

Spot on analogy. 

giphy.gif

Was that essay Anton wrote supposed to be his Princeton essay? Because LOL...if it were, they only Princeton he'd be getting into with that sloppy prose (despite the out-of-the-blue use of "pedagogical" in that third-grade rant) would be the Princeton Starbucks. 

Good that Joanie's parents both flew the coop over their respective relationship issues that any other grown-ass, responsible adult would have dealt with closer to home. No chance she won't wind up as self-centered as both of them. /eyeroll

The most maddening aspect of the show was Noah barging into the principal's office (I forget her name and have no real reason to know it because she'll be given the "french lady from S2" treatment at the end of this season anyway) and mansplaining to her boss about the incident at the school. WTF? She was perfectly capable of handling her own damn business without him having to handle it for her. He's such an utter, complete douche. Oh? And what to do with my ex-wife who's having a panic attack in my car? Drive her to my first ex-wife's house, who I dumped for this one, and leave her there. 

The only thing this show never fails at is awfulness. 

Yes, Trevor is Pat! The mansplaining this season is terrible. I don't remember Noah being this bad with Allison. So annoying that Janelle just takes it. I would have thought that Antoine would have spilled the beans by now that Noah triggered the "revolution." Instead of taking over to save the day, he should be admitting his part in triggering the kids rebellion. And totally crazy that he would drive to Helen's home so her husband can "fix" Allision, or at least for the night.

On 2018-07-23 at 3:32 PM, CleoCaesar said:

At this point I'd be fine with Luisa getting sole custody of Joanie. She's an ocean of sanity and responsibility compared to Joanie's flaky dumb biological parents. Add me to the list of people baffled at how Cole and Allison can just drop everything to fly across the country because of their precious fee fees.

Damn, Tim Matheson has really aged. He'll always be John Hoynes and/or evil Trevor in the excellent A Very Brady Sequel.

I have become a big fan of Luisa. She would definitely be the best mom for Joanie. I don't think Tim Matheson has aged that much - I think he looks great!

On 2018-07-23 at 10:31 PM, Elizzikra said:

I found it very sad and also somewhat unbelievable that Alison has absolutely no one else to lean on after a crappy day than her ex-husband on the other side of the ocean (and the lousy pseudo-boyfriend before he became part of the bad day). No girlfriends from growing up (and she still lives in the same town). No mom friends from Joanie. No work friends from the clinic or from when she was a nurse or when she was a waitress at the Lobster Roll (what happened to her fellow-waitress-friend from Season One?). No neighborhood friends. No one. 

Again - the whole episode had to be set up to get Helen and Alison in that conversation - but still??? 

The cost of those tickets also should have come out of Trevor's allowance; extra chores; something. 

It happens when you get older. You grow apart from most of your old friends if you aren't working together, going to school together or both raising similarly aged children. It also becomes tougher to make new friends. You are just so busy with everything else. Unlike Helen, Allison has been regularly working. No time to make pals at yoga or while moving the neighbour's garbage.

On 2018-07-25 at 8:34 PM, Lozu68 said:

For the sake of her children...and for her own peace of mind, it is better to forgive. Doesn't mean she has forgotten and would welcome him back with open arms, but it helps to have well-adjusted children by keeping the father in the picture and not continually cutting him down. She definitely needs a job or a volunteer position to make her life a little more meaningful and interesting.

• Love 1
On 7/24/2018 at 2:46 PM, meira.hand said:

At the beginning of the series I seriously thought it was Alison's voice in the song. Something about the pronunciation and the tone and the lyrics which felt like it was written for the show.

I thought it was Mare Winninghams. "Winningham has alternated her film career with a music career,[13] and has used some of her films as a way to showcase her singing."