Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Episode 6 2018.07.22

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Pallas said:

Did he happen to watch LOST? It's why John Locke's wealthy sire made himself known to John, who was also already long since grown. Locke's father pulled a far better long con. It was long. More than half a page of dialogue. 

He did watch lost. Nice catch!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Gem 10 said:

I’m from Long Island, but always wanted to go to California and take a car ride up Route l  all along the coast.  I hear some of the towns are so quaint and pretty.  Can hardly go to Montauk anymore .. too much traffic and one lane for most of it.  I want to go to the Lobster Roll, haha.

I'm an east coaster but we drove the PCH (Route 1) from San Francisco to LA a few years ago. It was spectacular. 

• Love 9

At this point I'd be fine with Luisa getting sole custody of Joanie. She's an ocean of sanity and responsibility compared to Joanie's flaky dumb biological parents. Add me to the list of people baffled at how Cole and Allison can just drop everything to fly across the country because of their precious fee fees.

Damn, Tim Matheson has really aged. He'll always be John Hoynes and/or evil Trevor in the excellent A Very Brady Sequel.

I more or less cheered when Helen told Allison to stop being the eternal victim. Long overdue.

I wonder how much of the airplane scene actually happened, and how much was just Allison's unstable POV.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Snewtsie said:

A lot of people are saying Helen was super nice to Allison, but I saw it more like there was a controlled tolerance to her demeanor.  Like she was trying very hard to say the right things but did not truly empathize. 

Which is still WAY nicer than I would be to the woman who had an affair with my husband.  And then married him and cheated on HIM with her ex and lied about which was the father of her daughter.

I thought Mr. Inappropriate paid for the drinks?  I wasn't paying close attention but after he ordered his drink he handed something to the flight attendant and Allison thanked him.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

And speaking of the worst, that song in the beginning is the worst.

Oh, I've been waiting to hear someone say that.  It's terrible.  I usually watch the show later and FF it.  (And SHO usually has good openings)

• Love 14
14 hours ago, Razzberry said:

Favorite scene was seeing Alison ziptied to the seat like Hannibal Lecter.

affair4_6bbbbb.jpg

If they had tossed her off plane while in the air, I would have cheered/danced like a "Price is Right" contestant.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

And speaking of the worst, that song in the beginning is the worst.

one of the worst songs i've ever heard. i get angry when i hear it. i fast forward as fast as it will go. just horrible. 

• Love 13
5 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

Also, can you order two drinks at once on a plane? And I know it's just a detail, but I know you can order a double, but 2 bottles of wine? Maybe in first, but I doubt they would honor that in coach. I did LOL in that they gave her Sutter Home, the piss water of wine. 

Yes, well, on Delta, JetBlue & Southwest you can.  I can't speak for all the other airlines. They're one glass bottles of wine and they are indeed yucky. The prosecco on Delta is relatively quaffable, especially as a mimosa.

5 hours ago, meep.meep said:

What was really a stretch was that the stewardess gave both of them the drinks and didn't ask for payment.

He paid for the drinks.  She thanked him.  I'm not surprised he made a move, I'm just surprised he did while the older lady was sitting there.  Alison's reaction seemed a little over the top.  You'd think she'd be used to having guys throw themselves at her.

• Love 6

Wow. I remember first season it seemed like everyone loved that song. It was like 'who is Fiona Apple? and I'm going to have to check her out'

I've never liked it (never got the appeal of talk-singing), but didn't said anything because it wasn't a popular opinion back then. As a guilty pleasure I do the first line super fast like someone pinched me before she says it.

But she does have talent, just not for this song.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Helen who didn't go to prison because of Noah and Allison has every reason to be very very nice to them.

You know, I’ve forgotten about that little bitty VERY IMPORTANT thing.  You are so right.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh, this show. Who comes up with this tripe? There's so much nonsense I don't even know where to begin, how to articulate my thoughts, etc.

I will say that Allison's favorable POV of Helen is, like another poster pointed out, to assuage herself of any remaining guilt for busting up her marriage. Allison chooses to view Helen as confident, wise and self-assured but in everyone else's POV, that couldn't be further from the truth. Considering it's Loony Allison I'm not even sure how much of what occurred in her POV was real or imagined. The dad thing came out of literally nowhere.

How well did Helen ever know Allison and Cole? I would put money on the fact that Helen never said, "ya know, I always thought you two would end up back together." Right, because Helen has a dying husband, is trying to get pregnant, and has two younger kids at home and she sits around thinking about Allison's love life. It's more of Allison being self-obsessed and thinking that everything should revolve around her. She and Noah really do belong together.

Edited by LilaFowler
  • Love 8
(edited)

I think Noah was so wrong for sharing the essay with the principal. He should have suggested that Antoine  share it with his mom instead. Noah is just way out of line.

Are there not rules about principals fraternizing with teachers? Seems really murky to me. 

Edited by Bandolero
  • Love 8

Doesn't Alison's mother know how to block phone numbers?

And didn't Alison just make a kazillion $$$ from the sale of the Lobster Roll, which should be enough to pay her own damn bail without phoning Noah?

Apart from those two things, I quite liked this episode.  Particularly the Alison half.  It's really true that sturm und drang fades as the years go by, particularly when there are kids in the picture whom everyone is helping to raise, so that in the end you become—if not exactly friends with your exes and their currents—then, at least, family.

Alison has had a profound revelation, partly catalyzed by the discovery that this image that's been haunting her for years—the pair of arms pulling her up out of the water—is a memory not a fantasy, and partly catalyzed by her conversation with Helen:  She can rescue herself!  I like this revelation.

I've been mauled by a stranger on an airplane, complained about it to a steward and been told, There's nothing we can do.  Please sit down.  This was in the pre-#MeToo days.  Alison's subsequent behavior did seem a bit over the top—I just calmly told the guy in question that if he touched me again, I would cut off his balls—but then again, Alison was having a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

PS:  I like the Fiona Apple opening number.  And I think its sea imagery is very clever, particularly since drownings have been such a recurrent theme with this show.  It demonstrates that the showrunner has done some serious foreshadowing.

• Love 11

Alison is always so modest and passive in her POV's---nothing is ever her fault and everything happens TO her.

I hope Luisa finds out about Alison getting arrested and leaving Joanie--maybe that will help her case that she's the one needed for stability for the kid.

• Love 8

Yeah I wondered if they were in Delta comfort getting unlimited drinks:) But I think this show does a really good job of showing how traumatized people f&ck up their lives. And I appreciate the subplot with all the PTSD info because that is what we are watching - traumatized people making choices. We needed to see what Alison's father situation is b/c it is a part of why she is the way she is. I can relate to that storyline (ok except for the kidney thing) but I can validate how traumatizing it is to find out your father story is not what you have been told or even what you think you saw.  If I had a free plane ticket to anywhere when that bomb dropped. Sheeeeeeiiit. Alison most certainly has PTSD. Not just from losing her son, remember her mother left her regularly. And a woman who can leave her child is someone whose mother left them. Her 'little red riding hood' way of going through life is pretty typical of people I know who disassociate so often they really don't see their role in their own bullsh&t. Handy to have your ex husband's first ex wife around for free xanax and real talk. tho

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Well, since he had sex with her, he’s already controlling her and feels he has the right, ha.  Standing there while she’s having a private conversation with her ex.  IMO, Allison has zero personality.  You’re right about Joanie too.

Wrong. They have not had sex 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Maximona said:

esn't Alison's mother know how to block phone numbers?

And didn't Alison just make a kazillion $$$ from the sale of the Lobster Roll, which should be enough to pay her own damn bail without phoning Noah?

With her age, she may not. My grandma has a smart phone but has no clue and she is in her 60s. And speaking from experience, they would not allow me to pay my own bail. 

40 minutes ago, Bandolero said:

I think Noah was so wrong for sharing the essay with the principal. He should have suggested that Antoine  share it with his mom instead. Noah is just way out of line.

Are there not rules about principals fraternizing with teachers? Seems really murky to me. 

Noah is lucky that Antwon doesn’t right him off forever for betraying his trust. 

One of my local schools, the principal is on wife #2 with the teachers. There’s no rule at that school but I feel like it is just unprofessional 

• Love 6
(edited)

Noah's brats are already too much

I didn't mind the younger two before tonight. Trevor was an ass though and needed to be called out on his horrible behavior.

What was really a stretch was that the stewardess gave both of them the drinks and didn't ask for payment.

The biggest stretch for me was that Helen and Vik's California manse apparently does not have a guest bedroom.

Also - c'mon Noah. "I didn't know where else to take Alison." How about urgent care or an ER - you know, where people usually go with panic attacks? But since I liked Helen's conversation with Alison, I guess that's the disbelief I have to suspend.

Helen who didn't go to prison because of Noah and Allison has every reason to be very very nice to them.

Well yes, but since Alison shoved Scotty into the road (in self defense, granted) she also has reason to be nice to Noah. 

And was it me or did Frat Boy Groper have a southern accent? Was he some sort of Texas longhorn groper? I could tell he was a jerk when he didn't know enough not to bother a seatmate with earbuds in.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Love 12
(edited)

Yep Noah’s son was incredibly disrespectful. I’m glad that Noah is trying to be in his kids lives though. Helen almost seems to love the kids turning on Noah. She also should have called Trevor on the disrespect and not enable it.

Also wanted to add that driving to someone’s office... someone you barely know is kinda crazy to me. Doesn’t Alison have other people she can turn to. She seems to have latched on to Ben rather quickly.

Edited by Bandolero
  • Love 10
(edited)

I found it very sad and also somewhat unbelievable that Alison has absolutely no one else to lean on after a crappy day than her ex-husband on the other side of the ocean (and the lousy pseudo-boyfriend before he became part of the bad day). No girlfriends from growing up (and she still lives in the same town). No mom friends from Joanie. No work friends from the clinic or from when she was a nurse or when she was a waitress at the Lobster Roll (what happened to her fellow-waitress-friend from Season One?). No neighborhood friends. No one. 

Again - the whole episode had to be set up to get Helen and Alison in that conversation - but still??? 

She also should have called Trevor on the disrespect and not enable it.

The cost of those tickets also should have come out of Trevor's allowance; extra chores; something. 

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Love 14
53 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

No girlfriends from growing up (and she still lives in the same town). No mom friends from Joanie. No work friends from the clinic or from when she was a nurse or when she was a waitress at the Lobster Roll (what happened to her fellow-waitress-friend from Season One?). No neighborhood friends. No one. 

TBH, I kind of get that. She's insufferable. 

15 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

No girlfriends from growing up

I seem to recall she had a very close gf the first season.  A childhood friend.  But the gf moved out of Montauk.  As anyone in their right mind would.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Maximona said:

Doesn't Alison's mother know how to block phone numbers?

The long-lost father calling Athena at that exact moment and repeatedly, and Alison answering her mother's phone was the most far-fetched, random thing in an episode full of far-fetched, random things. 

On 7/22/2018 at 10:23 PM, chick binewski said:

Ten bucks says that Kushna statue is the season finale murder weapon.

I had that thought, but my other related thought was why on earth would Athena give Alison something that heavy and easy to topple, and then choose a place to put it that is completely unsecured and unprotected from Joanie knocking it over and onto herself?

• Love 3
On 7/22/2018 at 1:24 AM, DiabLOL said:

I don't get the Alison's dad storyline at all. I'm also not really sure who to believe in all that.

If we are to believe that the dad asked for the kidney, and I think we are to believe that, then I absolutely would believe Athena's version of the story, because it's a colossal dick move to contact Alison all those years later just to ask for the kidney, so it's entirely plausible that he did other dick moves earlier in his life, like raping the nanny.   

16 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I mute it until the episode starts. It's awful. 

It's even worse for me, because although I don't like the song at all, every time I used to hear it, it stuck in my head for a very, very long time.  So, yes, the mute button is my friend.

• Love 3

Yeah, it's kinda pathetic how Alison runs from man to man.  The same thing she accused Athena of doing.  These people can't stand their own company for one day -  but then quiet reflection would be boring to watch, so thank god she's such a mess.   Gotta hand it to Ruth Wilson, she's really superb with this bundle of emotions on legs.

That house seems small on the inside, or maybe laid out funny.

affair4_6cc.thumb.jpg.06c96f922b0b304b4902c0268335e3f2.jpg

I'm no fan of Noah, but why is Trevor still saying things like he just left?  Those kids are monsters but that hissyfit just didn't ring true.

affair4_6d.thumb.jpg.117800fc73e5e392ef9f09e39fa15064.jpg

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I didn't mind the younger two before tonight. Trevor was an ass though and needed to be called out on his horrible behavior.

The biggest stretch for me was that Helen and Vik's California manse apparently does not have a guest bedroom.

Also - c'mon Noah. "I didn't know where else to take Alison." How about urgent care or an ER - you know, where people usually go with panic attacks? But since I liked Helen's conversation with Alison, I guess that's the disbelief I have to suspend.

Well yes, but since Alison shoved Scotty into the road (in self defense, granted) she also has reason to be nice to Noah. 

And was it me or did Frat Boy Groper have a southern accent? Was he some sort of Texas longhorn groper? I could tell he was a jerk when he didn't know enough not to bother a seatmate with earbuds in.

Frat Boy Groper telegraphed his intentions from minute one.  The actor was attempting some sort of accent, I couldn't tell if it was southern or suave know it all.   Alison was not his type, no matter what accent it was.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

It's even worse for me, because although I don't like the song at all, every time I used to hear it, it stuck in my head for a very, very long time.  So, yes, the mute button is my friend.

I like the song, but it's so peculiar, I'm ok with just hearing it at the beginning of an episode, I wouldn't put it in any playlist.

Talking about mute button, doesn't Noah know how to mute his phone? It rang 3 freaking times! Dude, you're already intruding on some family stuff, just mute the damn phone.

• Love 8

TBH, I kind of get that. She's insufferable. 

I get that the audience thinks that but I don't think the other characters in alt-Montauk are supposed to think that. 

If we are to believe that the dad asked for the kidney, and I think we are to believe that, then I absolutely would believe Athena's version of the story, because it's a colossal dick move to contact Alison all those years later just to ask for the kidney, 

I'd like to think that I wouldn't abandon my kid (or rape anyone) but I am fairly certain that if I were dying and the only thing that was likely to save me was a kidney from the kid I wouldn't-have-abandoned-but-did, I'd ask. I'd rather be a living dick than a dead sweetheart.

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

Did he happen to watch LOST? It's why John Locke's wealthy sire made himself known to John, who was also already long since grown. Locke's father pulled a far better long con. It was long. More than half a page of dialogue. 

I want my kidney back - John Locke

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3
On 7/22/2018 at 1:24 AM, DiabLOL said:

I really don't see what Alison did to bring on the bullshit on the plane so her question to Helen made me extra super sad. I loathe the "you manifest things that happen to you" crowd. I've seen nothing but blame people for their cancers and rapes from them plus it's ridiculous in general. 

Once again Noah thought it was ok to take over and save the day. I really think the dumbass writers think they're exposing sexism and racism with these scenes.

Having said all that I'm really looking forward to seeing where the Ben stuff goes.

I don't get the Alison's dad storyline at all. I'm also not really sure who to believe in all that.

I generally loathe the mindset of "if something bad happened to you, you must have manifested it somehow." But in this case, I think Helen had a point.

Allison isn't responsible for the shitty behavior of men like Ben, but she can choose to stop being such an easy target. There were a great many red flags with Ben that she should have easily seen (especially being a mental health professional herself.) And she attracts so many jerks because she plays up the "I'm a wounded bird who needs someone to fix me" thing, and of course that draws predators.

I'm no fan of Athena, but I'm inclined to believe that she was raped. It makes a lot of sense, with her changing her name and doing everything possible to keep Allison away from him.

Also, Athena doesn't seem like the type to refuse financial support and free child care altogether, unless she had a really good reason to turn it down.

• Love 10

Everything plausible about Athena's version meshed with everything shady about his. He was laying down a smooth line of patter until Alison asked him why he didn't look for her and maintain contact -  and that's the only time he stammered. There was no contact because Alison was conceived during a felony. We know zip about him but we know a lot about Athena and her reactions and answers felt credible, authentic. I don't think Alison imagined Athena's (perhaps understandably) inappropriate and selfish reaction at the very end of the scene, when Alison's devastation didn't register with her. Do they both have PTSD? 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Bandolero said:

Doesn’t Alison have other people she can turn to. She seems to have latched on to Ben rather quickly.

I can’t think of anyone Alison doesn’t have an uncomplicated/crazy past with to turn to

3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I'd rather be a living dick than a dead sweetheart.

Best line I’ve read on this sub! HAha

On 7/23/2018 at 1:56 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

I'm just really sick of every single guy on the show being obsessed with Alison upon one look . I'm not trying to be mean and I know her attractiveness has been discussed on this board but I'm sorry .. she is not a pretty woman . I can see a couple of guys who like the savior thing maybeee going for her but not every person who meets her .. especially because her personality sucks too . 

I guess this episode was written specifically for viewers who have been saying the same thing all along. There’s nothing “special” about Allison but she manifests this by perpetually playing the victim to men and not knowing how to say no. I mean even her response to the Airplane Groper’s question about the mile high club is “I need to go to the bathroom.” Uh, he very rightly could have interpreted that as hell, yeah, let’s get this poppin’! And I by NO MEANS have the intention of turning this around as victim shaming—just very specifically Allison Shaming in agreement with Helen’s point.

21 hours ago, missy jo said:

I thought it was the height of absurdity that Noah took Alison to Helen's house. No hotels? 

I guess he brought her there so Vic the doctor could give her some vallium and look after her? Considering he just bailed her out of jail I can understand that he wouldn’t want to put her back on the radar of a mental health ER visit and didn’t want to run the risk of leaving her alone. Handing her off to Vic was probably the best thing for her.

3 hours ago, preeya said:

I want my kidney back - John Locke

Two weeks in a row of the writers lifting John Locke’s storylines wholesale. My prediction for next week’s episode is that when Vic collapsed a couple episodes back he really died but then he was inhabited by Jacob via Smoke Monster, who’s just been playing Vic all along. THAT’S why Vic suddenly became a different person last week—cheating and buying that car and whatnot. He’s really not Vic anymore!

• Love 11
19 hours ago, Maximona said:

PS:  I like the Fiona Apple opening number.  And I think its sea imagery is very clever, particularly since drownings have been such a recurrent theme with this show.  It demonstrates that the showrunner has done some serious foreshadowing.

At the beginning of the series I seriously thought it was Alison's voice in the song. Something about the pronunciation and the tone and the lyrics which felt like it was written for the show.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, meira.hand said:

I seriously thought it was Alison's voice in the song

Oh, definitely, the song is in Alison's persona.

To me, Fiona Apple really captured the spirit of one of those old Gaelic ballads about humans who metamorphose into sea creatures.  Like The Silkie.

• Love 7
On 7/23/2018 at 12:49 PM, meep.meep said:

Helen wouldn't have hit Scotty if Alison didn't push him in front of the car (whether Helen knows it or not), so I'm not so sure Helen should be falling at Ali's feet.  I also think that protecting Helen was low on Noah's list of reasons for going to prison -- I think it went something like this:

1. Guilt over killing his mom
  2. Guilt over destroying his family
  3. General need to be the savior/white knight/good guy
  4. To keep Alison's part in it from coming out
  5. Because he felt he owed it to Helen

23 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I found it very sad and also somewhat unbelievable that Alison has absolutely no one else to lean on after a crappy day than her ex-husband on the other side of the ocean (and the lousy pseudo-boyfriend before he became part of the bad day). No girlfriends from growing up (and she still lives in the same town). No mom friends from Joanie. No work friends from the clinic or from when she was a nurse or when she was a waitress at the Lobster Roll (what happened to her fellow-waitress-friend from Season One?). No neighborhood friends. No one. 

Again - the whole episode had to be set up to get Helen and Alison in that conversation - but still??? 

The cost of those tickets also should have come out of Trevor's allowance; extra chores; something. 

nit-pick, they were on different sides of the country with different oceans, not different sides of the same ocean.  I imagine it's exhausting dealing with perma-victim Alison, so I'm not surprised she doesn't have any long term friends.  Plus she's joyless and boring.  In season 2 or 3 I think Oscar said he was sick of her wounded bird act and couldn't deal with her anymore.  He's an asshole, but that doesn't mean he was wrong.

I hope Alison and Cole both just picking up and fleeing across the country for basically no reason means Luisa gets custody and gets her hardship waiver, but that's not how life happens.  Poor Joanie though.  The only stable parent she has is probably going to be out of the picture soon.  That kid is doomed to be an asshole.  But all the kids on this show are assholes, so whatever.

My hope for Helen is that she can free herself of all the BS and be the Helen that Alison sees because Alison's Helen is the best Helen.  Hell, even just seeing herself the way Alison does would be nice.  It's a good point that Alison might see her that way to assuage her own guilt. 

• Love 7

So with Vik dying soon and Luisa getting booted because Cole is oh so in love with Alison , that'll bring us back to the core 4. Oh yea and the principal who can't resist Noah . But she'll be short term . I kinda like that we don't know who's gonna end up with who by the end of the show . Most shows are predictable with that stuff but I think they all are pretty much over each other at this point ( except Cole isn't over Alison ) .. I think Alison is over him though so if they end up back together , it'll be short term because she needs to find someone with a husband to cheat with in order to feel fulfilled . 

• Love 1

I thought it was interesting how the episode continued the theme of "everyone has his own reality" without using its stock-in-trade of dueling episode-halves. This time, the contradictions were contained within each half. Janelle's POV is completely different from her husband's; Otter's recollection of past events is completely different from Athena's; Ruth's perception of what happened on the plane is completely different from that of everyone else on the plane; etc.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Helen wouldn't have hit Scotty if Alison didn't push him in front of the car (whether Helen knows it or not), so I'm not so sure Helen should be falling at Ali's feet.  I also think that protecting Helen was low on Noah's list of reasons for going to prison -- I think it went something like this:

1. Guilt over killing his mom
  2. Guilt over destroying his family
  3. General need to be the savior/white knight/good guy
  4. To keep Alison's part in it from coming out
  5. Because he felt he owed it to Helen

I would insert "didn't want to be responsible for 4 kid if Helen was in jail" before feeling he owed it to Helen.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:24 AM, DiabLOL said:

I really don't see what Alison did to bring on the bullshit on the plane so her question to Helen made me extra super sad. I loathe the "you manifest things that happen to you" crowd. I've seen nothing but blame people for their cancers and rapes from them plus it's ridiculous in general. 

Once again Noah thought it was ok to take over and save the day. I really think the dumbass writers think they're exposing sexism and racism with these scenes.

Having said all that I'm really looking forward to seeing where the Ben stuff goes.

Oh, I definitely believe Athena - she seemed pretty traumatized, and had no time to make up a story.  I knew Daddy and his trophy wife had bad intentions from the moment they opened the door. I guessed a minute in that he needed a kidney or bone marrow.  Living a bike's ride distance from Alison her entire life, and never doing shit for her.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:04 AM, Lozu68 said:

I agree with you about Alison and the dude on the plane...but in terms of her relationships with Noah, Ben, hell even Oscar back in the day...it seems she views herself as vulnerable, I think she makes choices for herself based on being “a victim.” Not saying the other people in her equation bear no responsibility...it is a two way street. 

Loved how hospitable and pulled together Helen was in Alison’s view...and just angry and bitchy in Noahs. I wonder if the Solloway kids found out about Vik’s illness, hence Trevor being upset and not wanting to go to the concert. Maybe? Or just a plot point to free up Noah to go visit his boss at her home!!? 

Was so happy when Janelles ex told Noah to give them their privacy!  I’m hoping that whole storyline will serve to “grow Noah up,” in terms of how he relates to his own children and ex-wife. I seriously doubt it is going anywhere further for them as a couple...she is very dedicated to her career and her son...I think she will NOT sacrifice those for Noah. He may learn something from this...

Too much tossed in Alison’s storyline this week...I reallly feel like they needed 12 episodes to do this justice, and instead are cramming for just the 10. Too much to digest too quickly. 

And the preview for next week??!!?

Is the neighbor going to sleep with Helen too??!! This is a lot to deal with...

I know the popular complaint about Alison is that she's a perpetual victim, but I've always viewed her as feeling powerless.  There's a difference.  There's also a type of man who can smell this on a woman a mile away.  

I blame Ben 100% in that equation, and I'm not sure how Alison can be blamed for his hiding of a wife.  Even Oscar had predatorial douche vibes before he was re-written as Cole's happy dad BFF.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, Servalan said:

So Noah Fucking Solloway can tear up $300 “tweener bs” tickets but he can’t bump Alison to first class?

It was my thought too that Trevor had learned about Vic’s illness but I guess we’ll find out more about that next week.

I find it very interesting that Noah is a dick even in his POV. I.e: Barging in on his boss, talking over her, trying to save the day on the phone with the board, his interaction with Helen, demanding to see his son who clearly didn’t want to see him, his cluelessness around a family conversation that had nothing to do with him, his interactions with the desk sergeant, victim blaming Alison about her assault on the plane, not understanding her panic attack.

Helen, OTOH, is probably best viewed in Alison’s light. I think that’s when I find her the most likable. I love their scenes together and as implausible as it can be to get them together more often, I’ll take whatever show contrivance to get us there. It’s not like the show hasn’t done worse to get characters who would otherwise never interact (see all of S3.)

I think Alison is often generous in her POV's of other people.  Vic has never been that kind and gentle, even when telling last week's parent's that their daughter had cancer.  I disagree with the view that Alison simply wants Helen to look together to lessen her own value.  Alison views others as having their shit together, and being more functional than herself.  She always sees herself as more unattractive, awkward, and unlikeable than other's do in their own POVs.  Alison's only grounder was her grandmother, and that was all lost with her death.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:13 PM, Giant Misfit said:

9Spot on analogy. 

giphy.gif

Was that essay Anton wrote supposed to be his Princeton essay? Because LOL...if it were, they only Princeton he'd be getting into with that sloppy prose (despite the out-of-the-blue use of "pedagogical" in that third-grade rant) would be the Princeton Starbucks. 

Good that Joanie's parents both flew the coop over their respective relationship issues that any other grown-ass, responsible adult would have dealt with closer to home. No chance she won't wind up as self-centered as both of them. /eyeroll

The most maddening aspect of the show was Noah barging into the principal's office (I forget her name and have no real reason to know it because she'll be given the "french lady from S2" treatment at the end of this season anyway) and mansplaining to her boss about the incident at the school. WTF? She was perfectly capable of handling her own damn business without him having to handle it for her. He's such an utter, complete douche. Oh? And what to do with my ex-wife who's having a panic attack in my car? Drive her to my first ex-wife's house, who I dumped for this one, and leave her there. 

The only thing this show never fails at is awfulness. 

Well I'll agree with you on Cole's walk about.  It was pretty stupid, and of course included fucking yet another woman.  That's cheating on his spouse with two people, versus Alison's one, so maybe Cole can stop being the victim in that scenario.

On the other hand, I know everyone hates Alison, but come along now.  Discovering in one day:  Your father has lived a stone's throw away your entire life, was the subject of the nightmare that's followed you since childhood, clearly only made contact to get your kidney, raped your mother which makes you a product of rape, rejected your entire existence, then a side of the guy who's pursuing you and with whom you've shared a traumatic memory has actually been lining you up as his side piece.  If that's a typical day for "grown-ass, responsible adults", I fear for the world.  People have gone postal and/or suicidal for much less.  Alison was seeking out someone she trusted.  Like every other adult on this show, she's written as having no friends other than those she's fucked in the past.  I blame the show for the terrible decision to put these characters on opposite coasts.

And Joanie has a long way to go before she turns into an asshole Holloway spawn.

• Love 5