Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Episode 6 2018.07.22

• Start Topic

Noah supports Anton in a decision about his future which puts Janelle in a complicated spot with her ex-husband. Alison makes a surprising discovery about her father, and another about Ben that eventually leads her back to Noah.

From the description, it's a Noah-centric relationship.  Noah is the sun; all else are planets orbiting around him!  

• Love 2

I really don't see what Alison did to bring on the bullshit on the plane so her question to Helen made me extra super sad. I loathe the "you manifest things that happen to you" crowd. I've seen nothing but blame people for their cancers and rapes from them plus it's ridiculous in general. 

Once again Noah thought it was ok to take over and save the day. I really think the dumbass writers think they're exposing sexism and racism with these scenes.

Having said all that I'm really looking forward to seeing where the Ben stuff goes.

I don't get the Alison's dad storyline at all. I'm also not really sure who to believe in all that.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, DiabLOL said:

I really don't see what Alison did to bring on the bullshit on the plane so her question to Helen made me extra super sad. I loathe the "you manifest things that happen to you" crowd. I've seen nothing but blame people for their cancers and rapes from them plus it's ridiculous in general. 

Once again Noah thought it was ok to take over and save the day. I really think the dumbass writers think they're exposing sexism and racism with these scenes.

Having said all that I'm really looking forward to seeing where the Ben stuff goes.

I don't get the Alison's dad storyline at all. I'm also not really sure who to believe in all that.

I agree with you about Alison and the dude on the plane...but in terms of her relationships with Noah, Ben, hell even Oscar back in the day...it seems she views herself as vulnerable, I think she makes choices for herself based on being “a victim.” Not saying the other people in her equation bear no responsibility...it is a two way street. 

Loved how hospitable and pulled together Helen was in Alison’s view...and just angry and bitchy in Noahs. I wonder if the Solloway kids found out about Vik’s illness, hence Trevor being upset and not wanting to go to the concert. Maybe? Or just a plot point to free up Noah to go visit his boss at her home!!? 

Was so happy when Janelles ex told Noah to give them their privacy!  I’m hoping that whole storyline will serve to “grow Noah up,” in terms of how he relates to his own children and ex-wife. I seriously doubt it is going anywhere further for them as a couple...she is very dedicated to her career and her son...I think she will NOT sacrifice those for Noah. He may learn something from this...

Too much tossed in Alison’s storyline this week...I reallly feel like they needed 12 episodes to do this justice, and instead are cramming for just the 10. Too much to digest too quickly. 

And the preview for next week??!!?

Is the neighbor going to sleep with Helen too??!! This is a lot to deal with...

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Lozu68 said:

it seems she views herself as vulnerable,

That was my exact thought. I agree with Helen that Allison needs to change her inner dialogue to not being helpless and a victim. As it was Allison’s point of view (what happened on the plane and even she said to Noah in the car ride that she sometimes has trouble separating fact from fiction) about that other passengers come on that it might have just been him  being friendly but she read it as a come on. I think what got her into trouble was her reaction as it pushed her other elderly lady seatmate into the isle and that she was clutching her head. That’s what others saw and judged  

I disliked the smirking teen that was videoing Helen sitting in the jump seat being restrained. We have lost our privacy when others can film us and post it without our expressed permission. 

This was about as nice as I can remember seeing Helen in many episodes. I think she was honest with Allison and not mean spirited especially considering their history. 

I really thought that Anton’s Dad was going to give Noah a punch in the face. He seemed menacing. I will be interested to see if Anton is going to be angry at Noah for sharing his essay with his mother and opening up that can of worms. 

• Love 12

So Noah Fucking Solloway can tear up $300 “tweener bs” tickets but he can’t bump Alison to first class?

It was my thought too that Trevor had learned about Vic’s illness but I guess we’ll find out more about that next week.

I find it very interesting that Noah is a dick even in his POV. I.e: Barging in on his boss, talking over her, trying to save the day on the phone with the board, his interaction with Helen, demanding to see his son who clearly didn’t want to see him, his cluelessness around a family conversation that had nothing to do with him, his interactions with the desk sergeant, victim blaming Alison about her assault on the plane, not understanding her panic attack.

Helen, OTOH, is probably best viewed in Alison’s light. I think that’s when I find her the most likable. I love their scenes together and as implausible as it can be to get them together more often, I’ll take whatever show contrivance to get us there. It’s not like the show hasn’t done worse to get characters who would otherwise never interact (see all of S3.)

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Servalan said:

So Noah Fucking Solloway can tear up $300 “tweener bs” tickets but he can’t bump Alison to first class?

He sent her a gift card that would have also included enough money to cover Joanie’s fare, had she been able to go. Allison probably could have afforded business class but she was saving the rest of the ticket money  for Joanie to probably use in the future. He didn’t have to give her the card to begin with. He was trying to be nice. Allison didn’t ask him for it. 

• Love 10

So, who wants to bet that Allison's creepy dad hired Ben to find Allison? Maybe got too involved and fell for her as all men do. Or maybe he will kidnap her so the Dad can urban legend her kidney?

Helen needs to stay in Allison's POV.

I don't have much comment on Noah's POV because that story bores me to tears and I didn't pay close attention.

• Love 22
7 minutes ago, WaltersHair said:

So, who wants to bet that Allison's creepy dad hired Ben to find Allison? Maybe got too involved and fell for her as all men do. Or maybe he will kidnap her so the Dad can urban legend her kidney?

I had that thought as well as soon as Athena couldn't remember the event that the "father" relayed in a way that so perfectly matched Allison's dream.

Just as likely Allison dreamed all of it too, good God what a mess.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Lemons said:

Noah’s son Trevor looks like Pat from the 90’s Saturday Night Live skit.   

Spot on analogy. 

giphy.gif

Was that essay Anton wrote supposed to be his Princeton essay? Because LOL...if it were, they only Princeton he'd be getting into with that sloppy prose (despite the out-of-the-blue use of "pedagogical" in that third-grade rant) would be the Princeton Starbucks. 

Good that Joanie's parents both flew the coop over their respective relationship issues that any other grown-ass, responsible adult would have dealt with closer to home. No chance she won't wind up as self-centered as both of them. /eyeroll

The most maddening aspect of the show was Noah barging into the principal's office (I forget her name and have no real reason to know it because she'll be given the "french lady from S2" treatment at the end of this season anyway) and mansplaining to her boss about the incident at the school. WTF? She was perfectly capable of handling her own damn business without him having to handle it for her. He's such an utter, complete douche. Oh? And what to do with my ex-wife who's having a panic attack in my car? Drive her to my first ex-wife's house, who I dumped for this one, and leave her there. 

The only thing this show never fails at is awfulness. 

So, Allison’s new found Dad wants her kidney.  You just can’t make this shit up.  This show gets crazier and crazier by the minute.  Those school scenes with Noah are boring.

• Love 13

Ten bucks says that Kushna statue is the season finale murder weapon. With possibly Otter as the victim.

Two random thoughts: 1. I floved Ben's wife when she appeared on S1 of UnReal. 2. I cannot stop laughing at how inconvenient both Helen and Alison find the Pacific Ocean.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Oh? And what to do with my ex-wife who's having a panic attack in my car? Drive her to my first ex-wife's house, who I dumped for this one, and leave her there. 

I couldn't believe that scene when I saw Vik & Helen peering into the car. Then feeding her Xanax and OJ without even examining her.  WTF!

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

He sent her a gift card that would have also included enough money to cover Joanie’s fare, had she been able to go. Allison probably could have afforded business class but she was saving the rest of the ticket money  for Joanie to probably use in the future. He didn’t have to give her the card to begin with. He was trying to be nice. Allison didn’t ask him for it. 

I was mostly being sarcastic here, but I should have indicated it more clearly. My point was that when I have concert tickets that I can’t use, especially expensive ones, I try to either sell them or at the least give them away to someone who could enjoy them. He might has well have ripped up $300 which most people wouldn’t do. 

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

Ten bucks says that Kushna statue is the season finale murder weapon. With possibly Otter as the victim.

I thought that statue absolutely screamed murder weapon. We get it, it's heavy!

I don't understand why they're doing the Alison's dad storyline. I can't imagine her giving him a kidney!

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, preeya said:

Oh? And what to do with my ex-wife who's having a panic attack in my car? Drive her to my ex wife’s house and leave her there.

And come back in the morning and let’s all have breakfast.  Hahahaha.

• Love 15

I think Helen is always cool, calm, and collected in Alison's POVs because Alison likes to believe that Helen wasn't that devastated about Noah leaving her, to make herself (Alison) feel less guilty. Helen's portrayal in her own, Noah's, and Vik's POVs contradicts Alison's.

I've always thought something was off about Ben, but now that he's cheating on Faith from UnREAL, I straight up hate him.

I also hate anything to do with Noah and Anton/Janelle. It's not hard to believe that Noah would behave that way, but why does Janelle tolerate any of it? She's his boss, FFS.

I don't know when this episode was filmed, but watching it today it's certainly possible to believe that United Airlines would mistreat a passenger. ;)

• Love 17

And it has to be a trope that if a character is given or purchases a heavy statue, then said statue will be used against another human's head for the purposes of muder. Please see: The Talented Mr Ripley.

• Love 6

Vik, I hope the actual version of this includes you asking Allison what other meds she might be on. 

Sometimes Dominic West looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Terminator, after flames have singed off his eyebrows, in my opinion.

• Love 12

Noah is shut out of his son's life so he tries to meddle with one of his students?  Or was it more about getting some principal ass?

Alison was busy this week, taking her baggage across the country.  

Literally!

She had just had some upsetting news, finding about her biological father, who may or may not have wanted her and finding out that the guy she was trying to date was married.

So she dropped everything and boarded a plane, without Joanie.  But she had some warmed-over Lilith Fair music to put her to sleep until she found out she was using some creep's shoulder for a pillow.  She might have really lost it if the mellow music hadn't relaxed her so.

But then she has a panic attack and fucking Noah takes her to Vik and Helen's place, of all the places in LA, all the way out of the way in the hills, so Helen could gawk at her with that smug look.

Then Helen starts to give her advice about how to live her life!  

You know, if Alison hadn't listened to all that fake Sarah McLachlan on the plane to calm her down, she could be trolling Helen about how men always cheat on her ...

Oops!  She doesn't know about Vik and the goat yoga bitch.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, DiabLOL said:

I don't understand why they're doing the Alison's dad storyline. I can't imagine her giving him a kidney!

Well, she's got some serious daddy issues, so I wouldn't be too surprised...

I liked season one of this series because it demonstrated that affairs occur often amongst average and/or unattractive people and people with poor coping skills.  IMO, both Alison and Noah are both odd looking and socially inept.  It's BS that all of these people are drawn to these two sexually or even socially considering how unattractive and dull their personalities are.

So, is Noah's MO this season to become a social justice warrior or something?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

So, Allison’s new found Dad wants her kidney.  You just can’t make this shit up.  This show gets crazier and crazier by the minute.  Those school scenes with Noah are boring.

They were two of the worst written scenes in the history of this show.  Smarmy wife number two slobbering over Dad so you knew some sort of request to Alison was imminent.  Noah blustering into principal's office and taking over the conversation was totally implausible.  Yes, writers are trying to make a point, but have they heard of subtlety?  

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, weaver said:

They were two of the worst written scenes in the history of this show.  Smarmy wife number two slobbering over Dad so you knew some sort of request to Alison was imminent.  Noah blustering into principal's office and taking over the conversation was totally implausible.  Yes, writers are trying to make a point, but have they heard of subtlety?  

And speaking of the worst, that song in the beginning is the worst.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Gem 10 said:

I mute it until the episode starts. It's awful. 

9 hours ago, chick binewski said:

Without a doubt! It's gotta be Ben or Otter on the receiving end of Kushna's "karma."

1 hour ago, Gem 10 said:

Heh, I used to hate it as well but it's grown on me and now I wish it was on iTunes.  *slinks away*

• Love 10
10 hours ago, preeya said:

I couldn't believe that scene when I saw Vik & Helen peering into the car. Then feeding her Xanax and OJ without even examining her.  WTF!

He first didn’t ask her if she had any allergies to medications. She had been drinking wine and he didn’t inquire as to how much..when. Nope, that’s stretching it a bit too thin for my taste. 

1 hour ago, weaver said:

Smarmy wife number two slobbering over Dad so you knew some sort of request to Alison was imminent. 

A few sentences in and she brings up blood types and that even their two children are not matches. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, chick binewski said:

With possibly Otter as the victim.

See, I was calling him "VP Hoynes" in my head ("You get Hoynes!!!" said bitter President Bartlett, and which sorta suits Allison here), but Otter is funnier. +1

I ff'd through nearly all of Noah's half. Every time I hit 'play', he was being Great White Savior, which: no thanks. If I missed something pertinent or poignant, I just don't feel bad.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

And it has to be a trope that if a character is given or purchases a heavy statue, then said statue will be used against another human's head for the purposes of muder. Please see: The Talented Mr Ripley.

I was thinking Damages (season 1), but Ripley works well too.

I never like Helen or Alison more as when they share a scene together. Helen as viewed by Alison is one powerful kick-ass woman.

As for their respective taste in music, it's Helen 1, Alison 0 for me so far (Lucinda Williams' music was used to much more powerful effect too).

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, ChipsandDips said:

3 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Without a doubt! It's gotta be Ben or Otter on the receiving end of Kushna's "karma."

Who is Otter?

Tim Matheson's character from Animal House:

giphy.gif

He'll always be Otter to me. Better than being known as Alison's father who was her mother's rapist who's now thirsty for a kidney.

(edited)

The whole Allison storyline  was implausible. So Allison's dad, Otter, is presumably rich, and has tons of resources to draw on, yet his only pathway to Allison is through her mother? A PI could probably find her in a hot minute and he could approach her himself. The whole thing makes no sense. And on top of that, she simply sends a text to someone (Athena? Luisa?) and says take care of Joanie and takes off? Um really? You would think that she would want to keep Joanie close to her. 

The plane thing was also OTT. I realize it's her POV, but Jesus lady, handle your shit. Anyone with a half a brain could tell Mr. Friendly was going to try to pull some shit. How does a women who works, is a mother and a nurse and comports herself in society so freaking unable to take care of herself? It's like she is perpetually an adolescent victim. A few years ago, my teen daughter got seated next to a handsy drunk. I was across the aisle. As soon as I figured out what was happening, I quickly changed places with her, shot him a don't mess with me gaze an reported him to the flight attendant. He shut up for the rest of the flight. I find it incredibly hard to believe that Allison, who is a COUNSELOR,  has so few life skills. Also, can you order two drinks at once on a plane? And I know it's just a detail, but I know you can order a double, but 2 bottles of wine? Maybe in first, but I doubt they would honor that in coach. I did LOL in that they gave her Sutter Home, the piss water of wine. 

Then she is clearly having a panic attack in the car. The best thing Noah, who is a god damn teacher and should know, because he works with kids, is to pull over and let it run it's course. Even if he freaked out, who takes their ex who they had an affair with to their ex's house that they cheated on? Go to the damn ER!!

At least Allison's part was entertaining. I was like WTF the whole time. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 22

What was really a stretch was that the stewardess gave both of them the drinks and didn't ask for payment.

Why not just refer to him as Baby Daddy?  I'm old too but going back to a movie from 1978 for a nickname is really pushing it.

Russell Hornsby!  Always a great addition to any cast.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

What was really a stretch was that the stewardess gave both of them the drinks and didn't ask for payment.

YESSSS! I laughed out loud on that one. Or at least ask them for their drink ticket! Those seats were definitely not first class. 

31 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Why not just refer to him as Baby Daddy?  I'm old too but going back to a movie from 1978 for a nickname is really pushing it.

It's the only remarkable role I remember him playing. He will never not be Otter.

(edited)

I was watching this. My husband was in the room and playing with his phone, looking the other way.  He heard Alison ask her dad why he contacted her now.  My husband said, “ he needs a kidney”. Dad says, “my health is not good, I need a kidney”. I laughed so hard. My husband doesnt watch but this show is predictable.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 24
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

He first didn’t ask her if she had any allergies to medications. She had been drinking wine and he didn’t inquire as to how much..when. Nope, that’s stretching it a bit too thin for my taste. 

A few sentences in and she brings up blood types and that even their two children are not matches. 

This episode was soooo bad compared to last week.  The writers were probably Out to Lunch, and the clowns took over.  Noah, sticking his nose in the principals business, and her ex husband and the son .. boring.  Does this disgusting guy go after everything in a skirt?  And Vic giving Allison drugs when not asking questions?  Then Allison on the plane.  Very bizarre to say the least.  Oh, and who guzzles wine like that?  I would be on the floor.

• Love 2

I'm just really sick of every single guy on the show being obsessed with Alison upon one look . I'm not trying to be mean and I know her attractiveness has been discussed on this board but I'm sorry .. she is not a pretty woman . I can see a couple of guys who like the savior thing maybeee going for her but not every person who meets her .. especially because her personality sucks too . 

And Cole and Alison are the worst parents ever . They just up and leave whenever it suits them and have 0 concern for their daughter while they're away . Cole is better than Alison but not by much . 

And im a teacher and i can guarantee if I barged into my principals office and grabbed the phone from her , I wouldn't still have a job . But Noah's just a male version of Alison . You can't find a woman who doesn't  want him / find him irresistible and he looks like a pug mixed with Arnold shwartzenneger . 

• Love 19
28 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

I was watching this. My husband was in the room and playing with his phone, looking the other way.  He heard Alison ask her dad why he contacted her now.  My husband said, “ he needs a kidney”. Dad says, “my health is not good, I need a kidney”. I laughed so hard. My husband doesnt watch but this show is predictable.

Did he happen to watch LOST? It's why John Locke's wealthy sire made himself known to John, who was also already long since grown. Locke's father pulled a far better long con. It was long. More than half a page of dialogue. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I'm just really sick of every single guy on the show being obsessed with Alison upon one look . I'm not trying to be mean and I know her attractiveness has been discussed on this board but I'm sorry .. she is not a pretty woman . I can see a couple of guys who like the savior thing maybeee going for her but not every person who meets her .. especially because her personality sucks too . 

And Cole and Alison are the worst parents ever . They just up and leave whenever it suits them and have 0 concern for their daughter while they're away . Cole is better than Alison but not by much . 

And im a teacher and i can guarantee if I barged into my principals office and grabbed the phone from her , I wouldn't still have a job . But Noah's just a male version of Alison . You can't find a woman who doesn't  want him / find him irresistible and he looks like a pug mixed with Arnold shwartzenneger . 

Well, since he had sex with her, he’s already controlling her and feels he has the right, ha.  Standing there while she’s having a private conversation with her ex.  IMO, Allison has zero personality.  You’re right about Joanie too.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Toodleoo said:

Heh, I used to hate it as well but it's grown on me and now I wish it was on iTunes.  *slinks away*

Haha! I have a hate/secretly love relationship with this song. It’s the same way I felt about the theme song to Enterprise. I think singing along loudly, and very badly, has helped my appreciation. “ECHOOOOOOOOOOOO”

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Tim Matheson's character from Animal House:

giphy.gif

He'll always be Otter to me. Better than being known as Alison's father who was her mother's rapist who's now thirsty for a kidney.

OMG .. Tim Matheson.  I was wracking my brain thinking who he was.  They’re bringing out all the oldies from yesteryear.  That’s o.k.

• Love 4

And how could I not have recognized Dina Meyer? She of Starship Troopers fame or depending on your age, the professor’s wife Brandon had an affair with on 90210! It wasn’t until her name popped up in the credits - and even then I wasn’t sure who she played.

If I had to single out the one thing that bothered me most in this episode, it would be Alison seemingly leaving Joanie behind without any after thought and again, this is her POV. What about all of that custody stuff from before with Luisa? I guess Athena has no life of her own and is just on Alison’s on demand childcare. I know it’s part of the plot to get the core four to CA but there should have been at least one scene that helped make this stick. 

• Love 4

A lot of people are saying Helen was super nice to Allison, but I saw it more like there was a controlled tolerance to her demeanor.  Like she was trying very hard to say the right things but did not truly empathize. 

• Love 12
16 hours ago, chick binewski said:

I cannot stop laughing at how inconvenient both Helen and Alison find the Pacific Ocean.

I'm with them.  Give me the Atlantic Ocean  and NYC any day!  

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Lemons said:

I'm with them.  Give me the Atlantic Ocean  and NYC any day!  

I’m from Long Island, but always wanted to go to California and take a car ride up Route l  all along the coast.  I hear some of the towns are so quaint and pretty.  Can hardly go to Montauk anymore .. too much traffic and one lane for most of it.  I want to go to the Lobster Roll, haha.

• Love 3