Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Hannah, Hannah, Sandy?

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, roundtheworld said:

On an Adam note - I really wish he would come up with a small shared appetizer type of dish that the guests can start with while waiting for others who are late. We've seen this time and again and it would also make his work in the kitchen less stressful because they wouldn't be starving. That and/or serving a cheese plate an hour and a half before the set dinner time would probably take the edge off.

Typically a cheese plate is served at the end of a meal, but this is Italy and he could throw together a bruschetta, quick antipasto or insalata di mare.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/italian-seafood-salad-recipe.html

• Love 10
19 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

It's because Sandy and Hannah were telling him that the guests wanted to do 2 completely different activities. Sandy said they wanted to do wakeboarding, which apparently you can do behind a jet ski, but is better and easier with a boat and the tender was already down.* Hannah was telling him that they wanted to jet ski and paddle board. And considering that Hannah was literally standing next to the guests when she radioed, Conrad could be forgiven for thinking she had the guests most current wishes.

*This is where some of Sandy's micromanaging is screwing things up too. On the mothership, Captain Lee doesn't really handle details about what water toys the guests want to use. The guests directly talk to the bosun and deck crew about that and the bosun will relay that to Captain Lee.

I think this is the crux of it.

Pretty much every time Captain Sandy has really gone off on Conrad and Hannah its because they haven't carried out her orders to the letter or fast enough.  Whether its toast or getting her dinner or making the guest's tour short or getting specific water toys in and out at specific times.

Things would be much smoother for Hannah and Conrad if they did exactly what Sandy ordered them to do guests be damned.  But then the problem becomes that Sandy is giving orders that Hannah feels like need to be adjusted for what the guests want. 

But at the same time, given that it should be clear right now the personality type of the captain they are dealing with, Hannah and Conrad should be more contentious of doing exactly what Sandy asks when she asks it when it doesn't interfere with the guests, like getting her dinner.  That is why she has no problem with the lower level crew.  They do exactly what Sandy says and only back talk Hannah and Conrad.  Meanwhile Hannah and Conrad feel that they have some ability from their position to be flexible in how they carry out Sandy's orders.

• Love 6

Did anyone notice Adam's comments this episode? When Hannah is chief stew and the guests aren't on time it's her fault, but when she's not there it's just yachting and to be expected? I didn't see Brooke do anything different than Hannah in preparing Adam for the delay (he still had the food prepped and ready to go), he just didn't lose his shit when it was Brooke. 

Exactly! Hannah has been back and forth to Adam giving him updates on guests and he loses his cool! 

What bothers me is that the crew knows how joao is but on deck they like him.  I don't get it. He's a horrible horrible human being who treats women so poorly, but no let's be concerned with what hannah is doing or not doing.  Goodness that bugs! 

As for Sandy... i like get better than the previous med captain, but I've never been very fond of her. The way she handled this was terrible. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, roundtheworld said:

On an Adam note - I really wish he would come up with a small shared appetizer type of dish that the guests can start with while waiting for others who are late. We've seen this time and again and it would also make his work in the kitchen less stressful because they wouldn't be starving. That and/or serving a cheese plate an hour and a half before the set dinner time would probably take the edge off.

For whatever reason, that is just not going to happen. It happens (or doesn't happen really) on BD as well. I don't know if it's producer/contract driven or some weird "chartered boat rule" but no one's getting fed until The Primary sits at the table. 

3 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I think this is the crux of it.

Pretty much every time Captain Sandy has really gone off on Conrad and Hannah its because they haven't carried out her orders to the letter or fast enough.  Whether its toast or getting her dinner or making the guest's tour short or getting specific water toys in and out at specific times.

Things would be much smoother for Hannah and Conrad if they did exactly what Sandy ordered them to do guests be damned.  But then the problem becomes that Sandy is giving orders that Hannah feels like need to be adjusted for what the guests want. 

But at the same time, given that it should be clear right now the personality type of the captain they are dealing with, Hannah and Conrad should be more contentious of doing exactly what Sandy asks when she asks it when it doesn't interfere with the guests, like getting her dinner.  That is why she has no problem with the lower level crew.  They do exactly what Sandy says and only back talk Hannah and Conrad.  Meanwhile Hannah and Conrad feel that they have some ability from their position to be flexible in how they carry out Sandy's orders.

I think Sandy has been on Conrad's ass ever since he did't listen to her and get the tender down when they were stuck at dock.  He laid around with Hannah on the dock smoking instead and then another boat came in and they could no longer do it, just like Sandy said would happen.  I think it also doesn't help him that he seems inarticulate and scattered a lot of the time.  There's been a trend of him not doing as told since.  

With the dinner, I can understand Sandy's anger.  She said to get her dinner and then she opens her door to find them standing around bitching instead of doing what she'd asked and at that point she was already getting annoyed at seeing that every time she looked up.

• Love 4

Sandy's a hypocritical dick.

She deserves to be told off at the reunion if anybody has the balls or the vag to do it.

I hope this is her last season.

I hope it's also Hanah's and Adam's last season. There are much better head stews out there. Adam is just this side of a Sizzler line cook. Not impressed in any way with his cooking. If I had paid for a cruise and been served that food I would have shorted the tip because of mediocre menus. 

He didn't even think to prep an appetizer to tide the others over till dinner. He sat on his ass. 

Aside from Jamie and Colin the rest of this group blows.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, AttackTurtle said:

I do think Sandy is out of line with the comments about Conrad and Hannah's relationship getting in the way of their jobs.  If there is nothing barring them from having a relationship, then it is really none of her business.  You can assert that they're doing a crappy job without making it personal.  But then Sandy wouldn't get the screen time  

Part of their both doing a crappy job is that they're regularly hiding off in a corner together when they should be doing their jobs.  This work is short term and they make a LOT of money.   Put all your energy into it, maximize the tips you get, then do your canoodling on shore between trips or off season.  

• Love 12
4 hours ago, terrymct said:

Part of their both doing a crappy job is that they're regularly hiding off in a corner together when they should be doing their jobs.  This work is short term and they make a LOT of money.   Put all your energy into it, maximize the tips you get, then do your canoodling on shore between trips or off season.  

Here is the conundrum- yes, they make a LOT of money working short term on the yacht, and for that job they need to be attentive staff BUT they also make a LOT of money working for Bravo, and Bravo digs the canoodling. 

• Love 9
14 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Typically a cheese plate is served at the end of a meal, but this is Italy and he could throw together a bruschetta, quick antipasto or insalata di mare.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/italian-seafood-salad-recipe.html

That would be tough for Adam, because he seems to think of all of those things as lunch, so he couldn't serve the same thing for a pre-dinner appetizer as he did for lunch!  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Beachdreamer said:

Here is the conundrum- yes, they make a LOT of money working short term on the yacht, and for that job they need to be attentive staff BUT they also make a LOT of money working for Bravo, and Bravo digs the canoodling. 

True.  Based on discussions with friends who operate a charter yacht, I think most of the crew people who appear on the various seasons of this show would have been fired on a regular charter boat.

• Love 2
On 7/24/2018 at 11:43 PM, ParadoxLost said:

You have clearly never had to talk to 17 different cable reps and make multiple trips to a cable company office to get a cable box and then not get the box 19 times.  I lost the ability to be rational about it after I'd put about twelve hours into the effort.

Do you have comcast(xfinity)? Because that sounds about right. At hour number 2 of trying to get an issue solved, it is more than hard to keep my cool. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, terrymct said:

While they often work 18 hours shifts, they do get breaks.  Oh, and they're on a boat with guests during these breaks, so they can either hide in their cabins or go off in a corner. Not too many other options.  

• Love 2

I think Hannah in part panicked because she knows that Sandy, Joao and most of the time Adam are working against her and her only ally is Conrad.  When he got tired of listening to her talk about Joao, she freaked out and thought she was losing him.

Watching Brooke and Casey perform service the day without Hannah just showed they are capable of working together. What was frustrating was the Captain stepping in, to even serve food, when if it would've been Brooke or Casey down, Hannah would've been left to do all the work.

Clearly Sandy has decided that she's the real star and Hannah needs to go.  She's all over Conrad, who looks to be doing a competent job just because he's dating Hannah.  She's championing Joao, the bully of the boat and of Conrad and Hannah.  And buoying Casey who can barely pour drinks. It makes no sense at all.  I'm sure Hannah is going crazy because she sees the inequities.

Perhaps Hannah gave Brooke the option to go on the tender and she declined in favor of a break? At 5pm, they wouldn't be thoroughly cleaning cabins, that would've happened earlier.  They would've been in the laundry, because there is always laundry, and setting the table for dinner. The guests might have also insisted that Hannah stay.  But to have the guest cruise cut short because she wanted Hannah back was dumb. She needed her back to set the table?  Pulease!

• Love 10

Do they list how much they're getting?

I would imagine Bravo is flying them out to Europe for this "job?"

They don't have to put the cast up in a hotel since that yacht has sleeping quarters (which are like dorms so you figure they can only get real young kids motivated mainly by money to live like that for weeks or months).

(edited)

Overall, I just severely dislike this atmosphere of a Captain and a Chief Stew constantly at odds with one another. It’s not enjoyable TV for me. And while I do see how Hannah has messed up, this is also reality TV, and these hookups and drama with fellow crew is part of all this. That’s very different than drama with a Captain who is constantly throwing her weight around for the camera time and for her own personal petty fun. I don’t like this atmosphere as it’s progressed. I prefer Hannah to stay, but I do think it needs to be one or the other next season or Capt Sandy’s role needs to be more like Capt Lee’s and she needs to let go of her want to be a meme. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 12

Regarding Adam's meals, is it possible he is simply following the guests' written food preferences? Being reality TV camera hogs, none of them strike me as adventurous eaters, nor caring about local cuisine. Also, I wonder if there is a strict food budget from the production company that forces these pedestrian menus.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Regarding Adam's meals, is it possible he is simply following the guests' written food preferences? Being reality TV camera hogs, none of them strike me as adventurous eaters, nor caring about local cuisine. Also, I wonder if there is a strict food budget from the production company that forces these pedestrian menus.

I agree. Most of the chefs I know would love to be able to prepare amazing local food. Most of the guests I have seen so far would pitch a fit if they were served octopus or anything unique to the area. We have seen them repeatedly ask for grilled cheese, breakfast sandwiches, steak, and nachos. They for the most part are not adventurous people. Adam is in a tough spot. He has to please the guests, no matter what he would like to do.

• Love 4

Regardless of whether I think that Hannah should have gone on that sunset cruise or not, what does grate me was her managing (subtly) the guests. She fed them almost a full bottle of tequila along with vodka drinks. I get that the guests are in charge of their own alcohol intake but there were no nibbles to soak up all that intoxication and I’m willing to bet that the primaries wife (if not all of them) is yet again going to hold up the dinner because she is going to need to sleep off the afternoon/evenings booze. I predict that will make Adam mad and now insert conflicts between him and Hannah. 

I wonder if Sandy is able to fire anyone and get a replacement in. She probably cannot which is why she sent Hannah to her cabin (so Sandy could vent off her steam without letting her go). 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Man if they’re in Italy, they should be eating on shore every night.  Could say the same about France, Spain, Greece, etc.

But I guess you’re paying for meals as part of the charter and it would take time to go to go to shore and return.

I haven’t watched much of this show but they don’t show them on shore too much.  Maybe they don’t get clearance to film in many of these places?  Also they may not be able to film in local restaurants like little trattorias run by families which would have awesome food but aren’t roomy.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I think so.  The twice baked potato was specifically requested.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

It was but when he was given no restrictions his choice were equally pedestrian.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, KSH said:

I think Collin is just about the nicest guy and can’t figure out why the girls are running after a douche like Joao.

Because unfortunately most of us find the bad boys more enticing. I can't stand Joao though. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, KSH said:

I think Colin is just about the nicest guy and can’t figure out why the girls are running after a douche like Joao.

8 minutes ago, Reality police said:

Because unfortunately most of us find the bad boys more enticing. I can't stand Joao though. 

Do we? Do we?? I know many women, myself included, who have never dated a bad boy. Many people on previously were bothered by Joao in the first episode or so. I think there is a special strain of woman who ends up on reality tv. She's a bit narcissistic, manipulative, needy, clueless, and not the least bit introspective. The combo of these traits means that she finds a twatwaffle like Joao desirable.

And I've got to say that I kind of have douche-dar. In law school in the first Torts class, our professor walked in and introduced himself. I turned to the person next to me and said "this guy is working on his 3rd divorce." By the end of the semester, his 3rd wife had filed for divorce.

14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It was but when he was given no restrictions his choice were equally pedestrian.

I find the palates of the guests completely pedestrian. Nothing beats the Tapout  trash from the mothership and mister milkshake BD: Med. I don't know why those folks didn't just go to Vegas.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Do we? Do we?? I know many women, myself included, who have never dated a bad boy. Many people on previously were bothered by Joao in the first episode or so. I think there is a special strain of woman who ends up on reality tv. She's a bit narcissistic, manipulative, needy, clueless, and not the least bit introspective. The combo of these traits means that she finds a twatwaffle like Joao desirable.

And I've got to say that I kind of have douche-dar. In law school in the first Torts class, our professor walked in and introduced himself. I turned to the person next to me and said "this guy is working on his 3rd divorce." By the end of the semester, his 3rd wife had filed for divorce.

I find the palates of the guests completely pedestrian. Nothing beats the Tapout  trash from the mothership and mister milkshake BD: Med. I don't know why those folks didn't just go to Vegas.

I think some women do. They can be fun. I wholeheartedly dislike Joao, he is disgusting. I agree with you on the women on reality tv. 

I was lucky in that my "bad boy" was deep down a real good man. Hopefully it was instincts that kept me interested. During our 36 years he treated me like a queen. I lost him four years ago. Miss him so, life is just not as interesting. I'm working on that. Wish me luck. 

• Love 9
16 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

That made me so sad, especially when they raved about it.

However pedestrian the guests' tastes are, if Adam were a decent cook (I refuse to call him a chef), he could help expand their tastes.  Serve local salami, olives, bread, cheese as hors d'oeuvres, make a decent pasta dish, cook fish correctly, buy locally made dessert for the first night if you can't make anything beyond a cake mix.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Reality police said:

I think some women do. They can be fun. I wholeheartedly dislike Joao, he is disgusting. I agree with you on the women on reality tv. 

I was lucky in that my "bad boy" was deep down a real good man. Hopefully it was instincts that kept me interested. During our 36 years he treated me like a queen. I lost him four years ago. Miss him so, life is just not as interesting. I'm working on that. Wish me luck. 

Oh, sweetie! I’m so sorry!! I’ve been married to my “just enough bad boy to keep me interested,” for 20 years. I’m so sorry for your pain... I wish there was a virtual magic wand to waive and make it all ok. 

On another note, I know many women who have chased the bad boy (myself included).  I had to do a lot of personal work to prove to myself that I’m worthy of the man that is/ will be available and who wants to (and can) really commit. 

Douche-wow transcends bad boy headed toward narcissist/abuser. Brooke has a lot of work ahead of her. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Reality police said:

So sorry about your "not so bad boy."

19 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

The twice baked potato was specifically requested.

3 hours ago, Brookside said:

However pedestrian the guests' tastes are, if Adam were a decent cook (I refuse to call him a chef), he could help expand their tastes.  Serve local salami, olives, bread, cheese as hors d'oeuvres, make a decent pasta dish, cook fish correctly, buy locally made dessert for the first night if you can't make anything beyond a cake mix.

I agree that Adam is just not that creative. They asked for twice baked potatoes. He could have done a bunch of potatoes in various twice baked styles: a potato with creme fraiche and caviar, a French style Tartiflette twice baked potato, and a classic American twice baked potato.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

So sorry about your "not so bad boy."

I agree that Adam is just not that creative. They asked for twice baked potatoes. He could have done a bunch of potatoes in various twice baked styles: a potato with creme fraiche and caviar, a French style Tartiflette twice baked potato, and a classic American twice baked potato.

Didn’t Ben have to do a twice baked potato for the group from Chicago (the newly rich, very socially inept guy who brings women who clearly don’t like him)? I remember him doing something creative, but still recognizable enough that the guests raves about them? 

10 hours ago, Brookside said:

The guests have raved about Adam's fish every time, so I think he is cooking it correctly.  I do think he can be more creative though - for instance he could do a salt crusted fish instead of just the simple sautee he seems fond of.  It's still very simple to make, but it looks so impressive when you serve it, is a fairly common prep in the med, and is so delicious with a fresh caught local fish.  The best fish I've ever had was a salt crusted branzino I had in Burano that was caught in the lagoon that morning and when they brought it out to us people from other tables gathered round to watch them crack open the salt and portion out the the whole fish for serving because it is a spectacle.  I'm so glad that I was able to talk my dad and brother into having it because we needed multiple people to order.  They were worried because it sounds like it would be salty, but once I explained you don't eat the salt they were on board.  It really was a simple meal -- we just had fresh roasted veggies and fresh bread with it, but it was delicious, local, and memorable.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/26/2018 at 7:44 PM, scenicbyway said:

I think Hannah in part panicked because she knows that Sandy, Joao and most of the time Adam are working against her and her only ally is Conrad.

She may think they are working against her, but we’ve seen no evidence of that.  Critical of her sure, but no one is sabotaging her work.   Her performance issues are her own.  You make a good point about Conrad but in this case the definition of ally is someone Hannah can control.  

Edited by terrymct
typo
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, Reality police said:

Right there with you.  4 years later and I'm just now thinking about seeing a grief therapist  (RHONY this year pulled stuff out of me that I was unaware of).

I wish you peace, tranquility and being zen.

16 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

^100%^

Raise your hand if you didn't chase a bad boy at one time in your life.

<looks around, sees no hands>

Oh!  Late to the party!  Both hands in air!  Waving them enthusiastically! 

I not only chased, I dated them.  I was kind of a responsible bad girl.  The good Girls with good reputations looked for me at the kegger.

Because I had cigs, reefer and knew how to keep a secret. winks eye clicks tongue against cheek twice "tch tch"

And then I grew up, changed my lane to Nice Guyville and spent 20 years with a great guy.

• Love 5

Dunno if Hannah ever had a stint was a bad boy, but probably.  I was drawn to them in my ute, even spurned a couple of the good guys (bangs head on desk).  All worked out, been with my good guy (his bad guy stuff was out of his system by the time I got him) for 32 years and counting.

My condolences for those of you struggling to move on.  That period of life is coming at me like a freight train and it scares me.

Wish you all well.

• Love 5

In the previews Hannah is always talking about crazy requests she's fulfilled for guests and, in the first season, she organized some fun-ish activities.  Now, it's a game of "find the onions"...with no prize...and she was too lazy to hide them herself.  The guest (Kenny?) said he didn't even get out of his seat for it.  Even in the episode where they were stuck on the dock, she didn't have anything interesting planned.  It was so bad, one woman actually left early last season to go to a local beach.  I feel like, if these were real charters and people were paying full price, none of these idiots would get a tip.  Or a minimum tip to match the effort put in. 

Chartering a superyacht is supposed to be about once in a lifetime experiences, even if you do it often.  At LEAST give the guests what they want.  The rich guy who can't get women - Hannah should arrange some high-end local escorts.  Stuck at the dock - Hannah should have a choice of a least a dozen activities to do.  Not since the first season have they even offered scuba diving (maybe last season with that Malia sp? girl) and they've never offered parasailing or helicopter rides.  The guests' experience isn't even on par with a Carnival cruise.

Sandy acts like someone (maybe production) sat her down and told her they wanted more drama this season.  She seems like she's acting for the cameras.

Adam isn't a great chef but he may be the best the production company is willing to pay for. 

Edited by Jack Sampson
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Jack Sampson said:

Now, it's a game of "find the onions"...with no prize...and she was too lazy to hide them herself. 

The find the onions game was Adam’s idea. Hannah wasn’t even there when it was discussed so her thinking that there was already a plan made sense.

Apparently Hannah was just in Oklahoma visiting the no onion guests so I guess they enjoy each other’s company.

• Love 2
On 7/27/2018 at 9:28 AM, scrb said:

Man if they’re in Italy, they should be eating on shore every night.  Could say the same about France, Spain, Greece, etc.

But I guess you’re paying for meals as part of the charter and it would take time to go to go to shore and return.

I haven’t watched much of this show but they don’t show them on shore too much.  Maybe they don’t get clearance to film in many of these places?  Also they may not be able to film in local restaurants like little trattorias run by families which would have awesome food but aren’t roomy.

Yes, yes, yes! Soak up the culture and food but this is a series about boat charters and the shenanigans that happen on the boat with an issues laden captain and crew and nouveau riche beastly guests picked by production.

If these were Europeans I can  understand the American style steakhouse dinner as a treat but these are Americans who can get it any day of the week back home in any price range as I'm sure many Europeans can too. Steak frite anyone?

Why not cast a chef local to the area they are cruising, why not cast an English, Aussie, American chef that has been spending time in the region learning the cuisine. Anybody but Chef Sizzler.

I laughed at his pathetic attempt to emulate a Michelin stared professional after his dinner. Dude ya gotta have the skills, vision, not to mention a professional work ethic that people can respect then maybe people will take you seriously. 

Granted some of the guests requested the steakhouse experience but he could have done so much more with it. What he put out we all could pull off. He also could have steered the guests to something more than a steak and twice baked baked potato with a side salad. I'm surprised he didn't have Hannah ask if they wanted ranch or bleu cheese and extra cheese toast.

Edited by Giselle
It's Monday. Double word.
  • Love 5
On 7/27/2018 at 7:35 AM, Reality police said:

I agree. Most of the chefs I know would love to be able to prepare amazing local food. Most of the guests I have seen so far would pitch a fit if they were served octopus or anything unique to the area. We have seen them repeatedly ask for grilled cheese, breakfast sandwiches, steak, and nachos. They for the most part are not adventurous people. Adam is in a tough spot. He has to please the guests, no matter what he would like to do.

And that is where great appetizers should come in... while they are waiting on the primary to come to table or lounging in the sun mid-day. Along with the grilled cheese and nachos, also have some grilled octopus, local shellfish to nibble on, small amuse bouche. That would let them experiment and possibly be open to something more than the steak and potato they requested. Adam didn't have the imagination to guide them. 

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 7