Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E09: Week 9: Overnight Dates (Thailand)

• Start Topic

I hate it when this garbage heap of a show invades Thailand.  Such a beautiful country with lovely people, people who probably don't know about the trash that's being filmed there.

Blake seems like one of those guys who falls in love immediately with any woman who gives him the time of day.  He doesn't have a type or any standards, he'll just take anyone who comes along and is willing to even talk to him.  I don't trust guys like that.

I just had a moment of contemplating Garrett as the Bachelor.  *shudders*  That would not be a good season.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Blake is better looking to me but he'd be a terrible lead . 

I can't imagine Blake being able to handle the pressure. He seems like a very intense guy.

5 hours ago, nutty1 said:

Jason is quite handsome if you focus on his face.

Yeah, not my type. I have focused on his face and I still don't see it.  We all have different types. Look at Becca. Her type is HORRIBLE!!!! well, to me anyway.

8 minutes ago, Token said:

I hate it when this garbage heap of a show invades Thailand.  Such a beautiful country with lovely people, people who probably don't know about the trash that's being filmed there.

Blake seems like one of those guys who falls in love immediately with any woman who gives him the time of day.  He doesn't have a type or any standards, he'll just take anyone who comes along and is willing to even talk to him.  I don't trust guys like that.

I just had a moment of contemplating Garrett as the Bachelor.  *shudders*  That would not be a good season.

Yes to all of this. Bachelor/ette, keep your trash at home. Don't go sullying the rest of the world. Thailand was way too beautiful for this shit.

Blake does seem like he falls in love very hard, very fast and very easy. I wonder if he falls out just as quickly. I can't tell if he's a hopeless romantic who loves love or just desperate for affection. Either way, not a good look.

Garrett as Bachelor would cure me of this show faster than anything has ever cured anything else in this world.

• Love 10

I was wishing they would instate the "no kissing" rule on more dates so that we could get an actual substantial conversation, but no, turns out then they just spend the whole time lamenting the fact that they can't kiss and touch and entirely ignore the beautiful surroundings they are now free to appreciate.

Ha, I just kept thinking that Jason is so upset he got *this* close to banging Becca, and she sends him home on the night portion of the fantasy suite date! It was clear she was trying to dump him and he kept asking, like, "Don't you think we should explore all avenues?" and "I would just want to take every opportunity to see what's there" and it was so obvious he was thinking, come on, girl, let's just get it on this one time and then I'll head right home. And this after she raved about how fantastic his kissing skills were! Even her girlfriends told her to bring him to the fantasy suite!

I did love Chiang Mai but kept thinking about how the whole month I spent around Thailand I was doused in Deet and hanging mosquito nets on every bed I slept in. I wondered for a moment what precautions the cast was taking against dengue fever and considered the romance of lighting mosquito coils under your dinner table. Focused on the fantasy, you know.

Loved that tent that was on the last overnight date. Super romantic. Too bad it was wasted on the off-putting Garrett of few brain cells.

Jason for next bachelor please!! I'm not overly attracted to him physically (although way more than I am to most of Becca's guys) but he has an outgoing personality and seems like a lot of fun. Definitely better than the alternatives.

• Love 17
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

So I admit it. I watched the first episode, and then skipped the rest and just checked in to see this one. Of course I've been following along here :)

Was Jason ON the first episode? Did he say ANYTHING? And I have to say I do not see his hotness. He has greasy hair and a big nose (duck).

And can someone really really be in love with 2 or 3 people or do they make them say that?

So does Richard Gere and I've always found him dreamy. I said earlier on this season that it is the imperfections that make one handsome to me. His nose IS slightly on the large side but to me he is quite handsome, sexy even. Different strokes and all that. As far as the slicked back hair.... I was wondering if his widow's peak precludes having a different hairstyle? I know nothing about hairstyling, I must admit. But yes, he can lose all of that product he uses, for sure.

• Love 7

Former bachelorette Ali had the following quote on her site today:

I’ll be the first to say that the guy I chose on my season I spent 90% of my time with him kissing. Maybe if we had spent more time talking we would’ve realize that we didn’t have as many things in common as we might’ve thought.

• Love 15
(edited)
On 7/23/2018 at 10:20 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

Thailand looks interesting & exotic, but it must be So Hot & everyone looked sweaty with gleaming faces, and when Becca&Garrett were paddling down the river, I thought there must be a lot of bugs flying around.  Becca's hair looked sweaty & damp most of the time.   I like Jason, but his hair drives me nuts, he looks like Al Pacino in "The Godfather".

IMO, Jason reminds me of Andy Garcia. He's like Andy's mini-me. They could actually be brothers or family with such a striking resemblance. LOL

Edited by Lacy4u
Mispelled word
  • Love 13

Hooray! First, elephants! Lots of elephants! And even a lovely saggy baggy bum shot of a baby elephant. I watched that part of the show twice. Love an elephant! If the whole two hours had been elephants, that would have been better.

Then, though it was sad at the time, she's set Jason free! I do hope he's the next Bach - he's the best candidate out of this group of guys. He probably has curly hair, like his brother, which he's trying to tame down, so once they sort out a new style for him he will be a hot and articulate and sincere Bachelor. Unusual!

Finally, I am warming to old Sharkey. Not the sharpest tool in the shed. Probably a white supremacist. But he seems like he'd suit her the best. Blake is a bit too ponderous. You'd go mad after a few days of hearing him talk out his feelings.

Oh, and furthermore, next week, Men Tell All! Which will be super grown-up with this bunch. Can't wait to be reunited with the dastardly photograph thrower and the man with professionality, Jordan the Golden Underpants Clown! Good times.

• Love 12

Jason, you deserve better. Leave this whole franchise behind and find a nice, fun woman who goes for the smart, interesting type, and not the meathead Basic type. I knew that Becca wouldn't go for Jason as the winner, her tastes in men are clearly too wonderbread, but it sucked to see him get dumped. Or, dare I say...blindsided? At least he took it well, better than I think Garret or Blake would have. Blake is super intense and would  be utterly wrecked, and Garret just seems like a guy who always wants to "win" and gets pissed and makes excuses when he doesn't. I find Jason to be attractive, even with his perpetually oiled hair (and he looks like Meadows boyfriend who got wacked on The Sopranos) and he seems like a fun, down to Earth kind of guy, and he and Becca actually seemed to have fun together. Ah well, I am positive he will have a line halfway across the country of interested women after this. 

I will say, this episode DID make me want to go to Thailand for a vacation, it looks amazing! However, it also looks horribly hot and sweaty, so I will not have cameras on me as much as humanly possible. The dates looked fun, so I will give them that at least, even if they weren't exactly unique. 

As for Blake and Garret, its another one of those finale two where the two guys seem to be almost the exact same person. At least, broadly. Blake is intense and seems a bit off at times, but I think he is basically a good person, who is in need of some serious therapy. I feel bad for him, he clearly is still working through his fucked up teen years, and maybe that made him super intense and clingy. Becca doesn't seem to notice that though, I bet she sees "nice, hunky, talks about family" and thats what she wants. He does seem to have a sweet, fun person underneath his issues though, and maybe Bebba could give him some stability. Garret just seems like an idiot though. He has his moments, but he is mostly just the kind of guy who wants things his way, and doesn't really listen to people, which doesn't make for a good partner. I dont know much about his social media, but it doesn't sound great, even beyond what your political preferences are. Its just a dumb thing to do, especially because he frankly doesn't seem smart enough to make any real argument in favor of the dumb shit he has supported beyond "well my dad said..." or something similar. He just seems pretty shallow to me. 

I do appreciate that Becca didnt want to lead Jason on, and I continue to like Becca as the lead, even if she has plenty of annoying habits. But, I would probably have plenty too if I was on this show. However, I really do question Beccas taste in men. She had a lot of really solid guys here, and she let them all go for these two knuckleheads. But, the heart wants what the heart wants I guess. 

• Love 13

I think it was less about not wanting to lead Jason on and more about it being exhausting to have to spend an entire night with someone she wasn't interested in and make small talk and have sex with when she'd rather sleep so she can enjoy the time she has the next 2 nights with guys she actually likes . 

• Love 8
On 7/23/2018 at 10:17 PM, chocolatine said:
On 7/23/2018 at 8:41 PM, saber5055 said:

Will the show save $ by rerunning clips of the last time they went to Thailand and went to all the same places? If the engaged couple rides off on an elephant at the end, we'll know. Only the faces have been changed!

I'm glad I'm not the only one having a case of deja vu. The trail and temple where you're not allowed to kiss and touch was on Ashley's season.

Didn't they also do this on Chris Soules' season?

14 hours ago, Token said:

"I'm better at communicating and explaining where myself is at." 

Yeesh, is English no longer a requirement in school?

• Love 5

Some might not care for Jason's hair style, but at least a hairstyle can be improved without years of intensive therapy or elocution lessons! ? ?

IMO, neither of the F2 can compete with Arie in Becca's mind and heart. ? ? ?

• Love 20
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I will say, this episode DID make me want to go to Thailand for a vacation, it looks amazing! However, it also looks horribly hot and sweaty, so I will not have cameras on me as much as humanly possible. The dates looked fun, so I will give them that at least, even if they weren't exactly unique. 

Thailand has 3 seasons, Hot & Wet, Hot & Humid and Hot & Dry (Nov to Feb).  And if you go, go to Elephant Nature Park (you can google it).

As for the final 2 - oh, Becca.  How did you end up with these two?  But not surprised she let Jason go.  Ever since she forgot his name, I knew she'd keep him around just to prove that it was a slip of the tongue and not because she wasn't interested.

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Some might not care for Jason's hair style, but at least a hairstyle can be improved without years of intensive therapy or elocution lessons! ? ?

IMO, neither of the F2 can compete with Arie in Becca's mind and heart. ? ? ?

After a season of Becca culling her type from the herd, I'm not sure she ever loved Arie beyond the fist pumping thrill of winning the prize.  She likes beefy young dimwits who she can picture in flannel shirts, like Paul Bunyan only with a hunting  rifle instead of an ax.  Arie with his slender build and European family was a bit too elegant for her.

• Love 23

If I was going to start a Bachelorette drinking game for the clip show, it would probably involve someone mentioning Ari, Becca saying the word “blindsided”, or Garret saying “like” in the middle of a sentence. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

After a season of Becca culling her type from the herd, I'm not sure she ever loved Arie beyond the fist pumping thrill of winning the prize.  She likes beefy young dimwits who she can picture in flannel shirts, like Paul Bunyan only with a hunting  rifle instead of an ax.  Arie with his slender build and European family was a bit too elegant for her.

Yeah knowing what her type is now, arie wasn't it . No matter the season , the chances of 25-30 people having the same type and falling in love with the same person is very unlikely . Not everyone wants the lead, but everyone will pretend they want the lead to further their chances of making it to the final 4 and getting the opportunities that come with that . I have no doubt that the producers keep making becca mention arie . She seemed like she couldn't push out a single tear when he dumped her on national tv , and some call it shock but I just think she didn't care all too much and had bachelorette hearts in her eyes . And who could blame her ? They hardly knew each other . But the producers beat a storyline to death each season and since they can't talk about it themselves , they put it in the leads script to say a million times . 

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, telemachus2 said:

Am I alone  (or naive ) in still believing that not every Bach/'Ette has sex with every fantasy suite roomie?  

I think it depends on the person. I doubt they all do. But they have to know that it is going to be assumed they did. It actually wouldn't surprise me if most don't. I mean, some of those rooms are questionable at best. Plus you've got to be exhausted. Plus the one you pick (unless it's Lauren) is going to see you going to the FS with the other two and is going to have questions. Unless you know the other person will lie for you, it's gonna get out.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Lacy4u said:

IMO, Jason reminds me of Andy Garcia. He's like Andy's mini-me. They could actually be brothers or family with such a striking resemblance. LOL

Thank you for posting this! I was trying, without any success, to remember that actor's name.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, telemachus2 said:

Am I alone  (or naive ) in still believing that not every Bach/'Ette has sex with every fantasy suite roomie?  

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say believe, but I certainly HOPE they don't actually have sex with all three because that's just nasty.  They act like it's totally okay doing it in the name of the show, but GROSS.  Especially if they're all within the same week.  The last person standing....oh, I won myself....a big ol' skank.  

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/23/2018 at 10:33 PM, TheFinalRose said:

As for Jason, did he do enough to secure the Bachelor role? IDK.  Thought he handled her rejection well at the dinner table and found it interesting that he didn't black out but still tried to talk her into changing her mind a little. Very self-possessed that one. But he didn't emote enough in the limo, so it was back to Becca's room to try and squeeze out a tear and hand over the arts and crafts project that he was filmed not having on him on the way over. Oh production assistants, I hope you had fun cutting and pasting.

ITA. Jason's trip back seemed totally producer-driven. They needed to fill some time since they lost out on one fantasy suite. He also didn't seem that broken up to me. I think Jason is attractive and wouldn't mind if he's chosen as the next Bachelor.

I hope she picks Blake. I think he is hot (although too intense). Garrett does nothing for me, and I agree with others who said he doesn't seem that bright. I also think he left a lot out of his marriage story. 

As for the sex, I think most of them do have sex with the ones they bring to the fantasy suites. Chris Harrison has said as much in interviews. Maybe he was talking more about the Bachelor, but if I don't hear anyone refuting it, I assume the obvious.... especially given the waking up together scenes. They didn't used to show that in earlier seasons. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 4

In one of the tell all books, they said a lot of time they just talk since it’s the first time they’re alone with no cameras.

i too think Garrett’s ex cheated.  He only said once she was mean/teller. The rest has been that she tried to alienate him from his family, didn’t like his family.  What he’s saying on air is much better than dragging her that way.  Garrett seems like the way safer choice to me.  He is way more sincere.

I think what gives the overnight dates an extra-sleazy factor is the "morning after" segment the show started doing during Kaitlyn's season. Before that, we just got the couple disappearing into the suite and closing the door behind them, then some silly visuals of volcanoes erupting, trains driving through tunnels, or bees pollinating flowers, then a commercial break and on to the next date or rose ceremony. What actually happened in the suites was left up to the viewers' imagination. Now we get clips of the couple waking up in bed together and eating breakfast, apparently to remove all doubt.

• Love 17

Watching this shitshow tonight since I've been working late nights this week. All the good stuff has been said already, I just want to ask Jason if he will accept this rose. He's been my favorite for a while, and I know, I know - the hair. But this ep in particular I found myself wondering what he might look like fresh from the shower, with only a towel and that gravelly voice....sorry, got a little carried away there. I just adore him. He's too good for this show, for sure. If he can afford to live in a highrise in Seattle, he's doing well for himself. He's a total package. As always mileage varies-we all have our "types". He is clearly, totally mine! Blake freaks me the hell out - and Garrett is just, ugh. I do think it's between Colton and Jason for most marketable as the next Bach. Will all depend on how BiP goes for Colton I suppose. She seems so so so into Blake--which means she probably picks Garrett (I DO NOT KNOW THE ENDING!). It's always a "safe, comfortable" choice v. the one with all the chemistry. And chemistry always wins. Final note - Becca seems more heartbroken over dumping Jason than he is over her. 

If I were on this show (which, perish the thought), I'd play it like Survivor. I'd figure out my top three early, but I'd seed in some cannon fodder and pretend to love them all. At top six, I'd hope to be pretty sure of my pick, and I'd start eliminating my lesser two in between the fodder. My goal would be top 2 would be someone I just liked being around or who was a great guy and a good candidate for being Bachelor. Then I could be confident in my pick and know I didn't have an emotional disaster ahead of me. Of course, this would all take some convincing acting and assuming I could outwit producer manipulations. LOL Likely not, but I often think about "how would I do this?". I wonder if this was how Jojo did it -- mostly because I cannot for one second think she had an attraction to or wanted anything beyond friendship with Robby. 

So with this batch, my top two would have been Jason and Jordan (who maybe doesn't meet my criteria above, but i'd have kept him around for the entertainment).

One last side note -- the show was a lot more fun when they got the contestants all liquored up. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I think what gives the overnight dates an extra-sleazy factor is the "morning after" segment the show started doing during Kaitlyn's season. Before that, we just got the couple disappearing into the suite and closing the door behind them, then some silly visuals of volcanoes erupting, trains driving through tunnels, or bees pollinating flowers, then a commercial break and on to the next date or rose ceremony. What actually happened in the suites was left up to the viewers' imagination. Now we get clips of the couple waking up in bed together and eating breakfast, apparently to remove all doubt.

And ugh, a lingering shot of Becca's dress, artfully crumpled on the floor. 

• Love 8
On July 23, 2018 at 8:42 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

When Blake said I find a reason to stay not go in a relationship it kind of won me over. He looked great when he took his shirt off. Didn’t know he had such a nice bod.

Looks like a swimmer's build.

The Closed Captioning was cracking me up. After Garrett finished painstakingly sounding out CH's FS card, Becca mumble-giggled, "What are your thoughts?" And CC said "You did a good job!" Like she was a proud 2nd grade literacy teacher. Later, at their post-coital breakfast, Garrett said, "What a pretty day!" And Becca said something like "I know!" But CC had her respond, "It's so-so." LOL

Besides Garrett's eventual choking-out of the elusive "in love" under Becca's threatening glower, the deepest their convo got was "we're in Thailand!" "I know right?!"

• Love 10
(edited)

I remember Jillian's season when she was in the fantasy suite with Ed they made it look like soft core porn with the rubbing of oils and such. LOL. She said some people just talk but that she slept with all 3 of the guys.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

Garrett's way of speaking reminds me of Jennifer Garner's hockey playing boyfriend in the movie "13 Going on 30." 

He's dim.

he reminds me of a big, messy, overeager labrador retriever and I like those dogs. He annoys me!!!

3 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I remember Jillian's season when she was in the fantasy suite with Ed they made it look like soft core porn with the rubbing of oils and such. LOL. She said some people just talk but that she slept with all 3 of the guys.

ha! remember Jillian in the hot tub on Jasons season? lol OMG.

and then there was Andrew Firestone and Tina Fab and the sounds. 

• Love 2

When Garrett speaks, his mouth doesn't quite match up with the rest of his face somehow. He makes me think of the Synchro-vox type of animation used in the old Clutch Cargo cartoon, where human lips are superimposed on a cartoon face. Conan o'Brien used to do that, too, in his "talking heads" interview segments. Google "Conan talking head bill Clinton", you'll see.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, BiteTheLime said:

The Closed Captioning was cracking me up. After Garrett finished painstakingly sounding out CH's FS card, Becca mumble-giggled, "What are your thoughts?" And CC said "You did a good job!" Like she was a proud 2nd grade literacy teacher. Later, at their post-coital breakfast, Garrett said, "What a pretty day!" And Becca said something like "I know!" But CC had her respond, "It's so-so." LOL

Love this observation!  Every time I see closed captioning, I marvel at how bad it is, considering this is someone's professional job.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Before that, we just got the couple disappearing into the suite and closing the door behind them, then some silly visuals of volcanoes erupting, trains driving through tunnels, or bees pollinating flowers,

Yes, and then we also had Raven's 'Walking on Sunshine' montage that assumed she'd finally reached her first O (speaking of throwing the ex under the bus in embarrassing ways).

10 hours ago, BiteTheLime said:

Besides Garrett's eventual choking-out of the elusive "in love" under Becca's threatening glower, the deepest their convo got was "we're in Thailand!" "I know right?!"

At least they did seem to be enjoying the locale, unlike with Arie when they'd be amongst some of the most beautiful locations in the world and maybe squeeze out a 'pretty'. In comparison that's deep convo.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Wandering Snark said:

unlike with Arie when they'd be amongst some of the most beautiful locations in the world and maybe squeeze out a 'pretty'. In comparison that's deep convo.

THAT is why I shall never forgive Arie. He has no appreciation for beautiful things that don't have boobs.

I mostly watch this for the travel porn at this point. I like watching early on when there are lots of contestants but when it gets to the final 3 or so I lose interest. But if they are going some place exotic, I will stick around to see it. It bugs the crap out of me that these ingrates don't appreciate the free trip to places I will likely never be able to afford to go to. The show should save the money and just send these morons to Miami. They'd probably enjoy it more to be honest. They rarely seem to appreciate the place they are beyond "(insert location) is the perfect place to fall in love."

No, you know what Thailand is? It's the perfect place to explore a different culture. If you are with the right person you can fall in love at a gas station. If you are in Thailand, Peru, etc, you should soak up as much of the culture as possible. That's why Becca and whichever brunette she was with at the time obsessing over how they couldn't touch in that temple was so annoying. Look at the beautiful surroundings. Maybe ask the guide about the history of the place, and about the significance of the no touching rule.

Of course I've never really understood couples who can't keep their hands off each other for five seconds. I like my personal space. lol I would never want to run down a beach holding hands. It's too difficult. I don't care for walking holding hands. I walk fast. lol

• Love 12

I think I've seen dread or a bit of terror on some of the guys' faces when Becca runs up and slaps her legs around them.  I wonder if guys actually like that.  

• Love 7

I think editing cuts a lot of non bachelorette talk out-I’m sure people talk about the locations more than we see. I also think most if not all of the contestants are college educated and not actually mentally challenged. Sometimes people have trouble with small talk and we all know serious questions are edited out.

I don’t mind Blake and I think he is the only one serious about Becca. I don’t see much interest in anyone from her and I wonder if there is anything she is passionate about. I liked Colton too and think he is handsome. Guys who are virgins or are religious in any way are usually torn apart on TV so it takes a bit of courage to try it. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, llamallamadingdong said:

Garrett is dumber than a sack of hammers.  No, Becca, he will not "challenge" you, unless you mean your patience.

Maybe...challenge her ability to define polysyllabic words for him for a lifetime? 

• Love 1

Well, that was crazy. Jason definitely grew on me, and yes, his dates with Becca were the most fun. She actually DID things with him, like dance and have actual conversations. But it's probably a relief for Jason. He didn't look cut up at all in the limo and the return for "closure" looked entirely like a Bachelor audition. I am totally in with that though. I think he will look fine once they degrease him so he doesn't look like Donnie Junior. The cowboy legs are kind of funny. I could certainly put up with that in an otherwise charming and fun, intelligent man.

I have noticed that I fall asleep EVERYTIME Becca and Garrett go on a date. So I am wondering....was there a point when they went to dinner that Becca put a reindeer hat on her head? I seem to remember this. Although it might have been a dream. I've fallen asleep on their dates on the last three episodes and generally wake up at the RC. Oh and with all the comparisons to whom he looks like - my suggestion is that he has the eyes of David Boreanaz. Though sadly, not the wit or charm.

I felt sorry for Blake and do think he is the most invested. Actually kind of attractive now that his hair has settled down. But I agree with everyone else - he needs some therapy before committing to a marriage. I don't think Becca is any kind of gift actually so maybe he could do better. It would have been such a better season if we'd had Sienne or the taxidermy blonde. And agree that Caroline and Tia need to go far far away. I am annoyed that they are sticking Tia on my BIP.

So many good comments on this thread but I decided not to quote any after I realized I had marked 13 down for quotes! So on to the Men Tell All Next Week. I am looking forward to seeing Jordan again and the reaction to Jason's appearance - always a good way to gauge the PTB's next Bachelor intentions. 

• Love 4
On 7/24/2018 at 12:51 PM, Ohwell said:

Garrett always looks like somebody hit him upside the head with a 2 x 4 and he's blinking and wondering what happened. 

This is too true. Noticed, too, that he seemed like a 12-year-old while talking to his mommy and I wondered what was wrong with him.  

Jason may dunk his head in the transmission but at least he's functioning.  

Blake is wired pretty tight but still better than Garrett.  Girl has really questionable taste.  

• Love 12

Neither Blake nor Garret strikes me as being very bright, and both seem immature.  I agree that Becca’s taste is questionable. I wonder if Garret’s (superficial) resemblance to her father is coloring her view of him.  As for Blake, I have no idea.  I see nothing but red flags from him!

• Love 2
On 7/26/2018 at 8:07 AM, nlkm9 said:

Andrew Firestone and Tina Fab and the sounds.

I read an interview she did, and she said it was all added in, nothing happened in the FS.

• Love 4