Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Season 2, Episode 4

8 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

I was put in the mind of an 18th Century Joker and Harley Quinn. 

Also: A strange question. Does Margaret employ any servants to do mundane chores like cleaning, helping the women get dressed, do hair and makeup, etc? Or do they all just help each other out and take turns doing chores?

Not regularly.  When she first took Harriet in, Harriet performed those duties (until she found out she could make more money as a prostitute) and, as far as we’ve seen, no one has come in to take Harriet’s (original) place.

My guess is that it is part of the girls’ duties to help with the house when they aren’t entertaining men.

• Love 1

When they show Lydia (Leslie Manville, who is fabulous in this role) without her wig, the back of her head shows what looks like purple-stained scalp. Is that a production snafu or is it historically accurate? 18th century wig glue? A treatment for lice?

Edited by pasdetrois

What floor was that? What lunatic lobs a brick through the window of an upper floor?

Are we to believe that Izabella's brother really has hair that long or is it supposed to be a wig. I'd say wig but we've seen it looking disheveled. 

Staring at people while they sleep... the behavior of the totally normal. Aside from the murders, Fallon is just creepy in a way that you can't quite explain to other people. 

Harriet still making eyes at Will. Margaret was right to kick her out. I hope a little competition from Nell deflates her ego a bit. It probably won't.

It seems like the Lannister thing is on the brother's part and not Izabella's but I can't really tell what's going on with them right now.

Ooh, loved the blue gown with the brocade-like fabric Charlotte was wearing.

Is Izabella a lesbian or was Charlotte just teasing her? I don't know what's happening. 

Loved Lucy's yellow gown. Did she have a lady's maid to help her into that ridiculous getup? She looked as done up as Charlotte.

LOL, Lidington doesn't know that Lucy is not to be messed with. She's still got that stabbing energy in her.

LOL, is Fallon actually successfully seducing Lucy? My eyes are rolling so hard it hurts. It's one thing to be able to tolerate culls. But did we get confirmation that she actually enjoys sex now?

Trying to make Emily Lacey an ally is useless. She's a mouthy bit of baggage and she hasn't been help to anyone. Harriet is basically the one bossing Emily around so she doesn't count.

They styled Lucy's undergarments into an adorable little outfit. I don't think they would have looked quite like that but I'm willing to let it slide.

It's easy for Lucy to tell Margaret to leave her alone. The last time Lucy flew off the handle, she stabbed someone and everyone else had to clean up the mess. 

Why is Fallon interested in Lucy's violent streak? Is teaching her to fight going to make dominating her more fun? I'm not sure what his game plan is.

So it IS a bastard child. 

Isabella's brother is giving me Sir George energy. Will he be dead by the end of the season, too? Hope so.

I want to learn more about Anne Pettifer. Something Emily said implied that she was maybe gentry. Like she'd fallen for some guy who'd abandoned her and become a fallen woman.

LOL that the justice wants Lydia. Lydia's giggle! It's the little things that make me appreciate having an actress like Lesley Manville play this part. 

Ew. Fencing as foreplay is like Zorro. Not this weird vampiric shit. 

Even though Cherry is picking the wrong team, I still like her.

I guess I’ll have to sit over here alone in my dislike for Emily Lacey. I find her annoying and tedious and I don’t understand why no one reminds her that she didn’t deserve Margaret’s help—she betrayed her! She obviously didn’t deserve to be raped and murdered, but why would she think Margaret would take her back in? 

Move over. I'll sit with you. 😉 

Whoever killed kitty had originally wanted Lucy, only took kitty cause Lucy was elsewhere.  I don’t remember who had pulled up at the door.  Whoever that was is the killer

Liddington dropped the heart. Fallon picked Kitty up and whisked her away. BUT technically we didn't see him kill her and we didn't see who dropped off the body. So by the rules of detective fiction/mysteries that leaves the door open for someone else to have killed her if they wanted to play it that way.

I don't think Charlotte is Isabella's daughter. They look alike but otherwise, that seems like a dumb way for the show to go.

I'm really enjoying this season a lot, although at this point Quigley hardly needs to be paying Cherry or Nell or anyone to keep tabs on all the other women the way they're talking so audibly about plotting against her and meeting so openly in public places to discuss it.  I wanted to yell at Charlotte and Isabella to maybe step outside or do anything else rather than stand around Quigley's drawing room talking about it where even the camera angles suggested somebody was watching.  They've apparently also given up any pretense that everyone and their dog doesn't know exactly why Charlotte is still in Quigley's house.

Haha. Yes. I was so tense about all of this. Especially since some sequences are shot in a voyeuristic way that makes me think the camera is about to pan to the person listening in. If you're going to play at being spies, do better. Charlotte is doing a terrible job of keeping this secret. 

The fighter guy whose name I can't remember is disappointed that Harriet didn't seem to enjoy the sex he just paid for only to be told she's not being paid to enjoy it.

That reminds me. Harriet seemed like a miserable harlot this episode just lying there like a dead fish. We haven't really seen such a bad performance. Even while she was bad-mouthing them, Frenchie at least pretended. For all her talk about being "exotic" I wonder if Harriet thought she had to try less because the soldier was black. She certainly seemed to be able to flirt with the wealthy white culls. 

The one thing I will say in Hunt's defense (as far as finding the man who killed Kitty goes) is that all Margaret's house gave him was a button. I don't think anyone expected him to visit every tailor in London asking who had buttons like that on their clothing. CSI: 18th Century!

I thought the police force was established later. But there are constables and apparently they can afford to have at least two just constantly stationed outside Lydia's house. So I can see the complaint. Even if the button wasn't much of a clue, he wasn't even trying. He could have sent one of those guys around to ask discreetly about buttons. 

I giggled when Lydia giggled at the cull saying he prefered a “riper fruit”. Yes, sex was much more tied to money and economics in this Time compared to ours (although our society is much less honest about how much sex is tied to money), but human nature hasn’t changed that much. Of course there are going to be men who prefer older women as a matter of taste, and people having sex with each other just because they like each other, people who are turned on by different things. 

Lydia had a grand ole time with that Justice Dodds. I loved his speech about not taking away “our whores”. 

On 7/11/2019 at 8:59 AM, aradia22 said:

Even though Cherry is picking the wrong team, I still like her.

I like Cherry too. She seems to have a fun personality- and her choices are even more limited. This life or a “menagerie of grotesque creatures”, a circus.