Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
theredhead77

Sous Vide

I picked up a Sous Vide on Prime Day without knowing much about it, other than it's this years "Instant Pot" must-have. I love to cook and I'm confident I will be whipping up deliciousness in no time.

Did anyone else pick one up on Prime Day? Anyone an expert? Let's chat about our sous vide!

I got one for Christmas, I don’t use it as much as my Instantpot but have made yogurt, steaks, custards, ham, lamb, pork roasts, plus gin, infused vodkas and cordials. I enjoy it.

I have made steaks, salmon, crème brûlée, hollandaise sauce, boiled eggs, and poached eggs. I have a Joule.  It was very successful. The hollandaise sauce actually kept in the refrigerator for a day. Crème brûlée was delicious. 

Based on a hack I read the other day I just used it to chill a bottle of rose in 8 minutes! You have to use cold water and ice because it doesn’t have a cooling element but then circulation part made it chill quicker than an ice bath and I didn’t accidentally freeze like I sometimes do when I do a quick chill in the freezer and accidentally forget about it.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 6:09 PM, theredhead77 said:

I picked up a Sous Vide on Prime Day without knowing much about it, other than it's this years "Instant Pot" must-have. I love to cook and I'm confident I will be whipping up deliciousness in no time.

Did anyone else pick one up on Prime Day? Anyone an expert? Let's chat about our sous vide!

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/first-thing-to-cook-with-sous-vide-immersion-circulator-essential-recipes.html

• Like 1

We mostly use ours for making Sunday roasts notably beef since it keeps the temperature so even and precise. I've tried using it for pochaed eggs and salmon with mixed results. In the future, am planning to try steak, pork roast, and poached chicken. 

On 7/25/2018 at 7:42 PM, theredhead77 said:

What do all use for your container? I was thinking of picking up a small cooler (on clearance since summer is almost over)

Serious Eats recommends cambro containers. You can get them at restaurant supply places or Amazon for between $7 - $25. I have a huge Rubbermaid container, but you can use a big old stock pot too.

• Like 2

I don't know why, but it took me until October to use my Sous Vide. First I made scallops, tonight I made asparagus and tomorrow I'm going to make a London Broil. I've been using my Instant Pot pot but the London Broil may be too large and I'll have to use a stock pot.