Type keyword(s) to search

The Resistance: Theories for Season 3

• Start Topic

(edited)

A place to share our theories and discuss what direction season 3 might go. 

What do you think is going to happen? Base it on news articles, wishes, or hunches! Leave the true spoilers to the spoiler thread.

Use this thread as an alternative to de-railing other threads with wishful thinking and plausible thoughts. 

Edited by LittleRed84

I've been grappling with how Offred is going to go back home after taking Holly.  I've seen the speculation that she'll go and live with Commander Lawrence and work as a member of the resistance, but with Fred and Serena being 2 of the original characters and 2 main characters, I just don't see that happening - and for other reasons outlined in the book.  But then it occurred to me that she can take the excuse that she saw Emily snatch Holly, had no idea she was in the house, and was pursuing her, until she got in a van with the baby and went in another direction from reality to throw off Emily's escape.  She told Serena that she can get Holly out - not that she was going to go out as well.  

That said, that still puts Offred back at the Waterford's.  And one of the worst parts about this season was how heavily it was around life at the Waterfords.  We had such little story around the other handmaids, interaction with the other handmaids.  It was a very narrow scope which I think brought the season down tremendously.  I'm hoping with Season 3 they broaden the lens a little bit again.  

I want more Alma.  We know she's a handmaid member of the resistance.  I don't need anymore crazy Janine as June's handmaid buddy.  

• Love 3
14 hours ago, LittleRed84 said:

A place to share our theories and discuss what direction season 3 might go. 

What do you think is going to happen? Base it on news articles, hunches, spoilers… Anything! Use this thread as an alternative to de-railing other threads. 

1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

I'm spoiled so I can't comment here, by the way, interviews are out there with likely spoilers already.  It will be interesting looking at non-spoiled theories.

Can we leave the spoilers to the spoiler thread, and make this an unspoiled thread - hunches, speculation, random thoughts, wishes?  Or maybe spoiler lite - like so and so has already confirmed he/she will be back in Season 3 (which could just mean flashbacks) would be ok, but no spoiling future plot lines? 

• Love 3

Just a head's up.  Right now all the spoilers are in main stream interviews and articles, most from the show-runner himself, or from actor interviews (as far as casting.)  This show makes no attempt to refrain from spoilers, it's the most spoiled show I can ever remember watching.  Most, but not all, spoilers are regular media outlets.  Once they distribute the previews (won't be for a while since they aren't even filming yet) several people who get them don't seem to honor, or have even been asked to refrain from spoiling.

Basically?  If you read any media at all, you will know as many spoilers as the spoiler thread is currently discussing.

• Love 2
(edited)

Umbelina, you make a good point.  And I have read a few of those articles.  Right now, any spoilers in those articles are pretty generic, mostly casting related, general plot themes, but no hard plot points.  It's not like anyone is saying "Fred will be executed by disembowelment with a spoon in episode 3" (and yes, I just made that up).  It's stuff like that that I would want to be left to the spoiler thread.  When a thread is titled "Theories", then that's what it should be.  Or tag the thread as a spoiler thread.

Right now, I'm reading the "spoiler" thread.  But once real information starts coming out, I will stop doing that.  I like to remain unspoiled (as much is possible) before seeing an episode. 

Edited by chaifan
  • Love 2
On 7/18/2018 at 5:46 PM, Umbelina said:

I'm spoiled so I can't comment here, by the way, interviews are out there with likely spoilers already.  It will be interesting looking at non-spoiled theories.

I tend to deal with CRS now (Can't Remember Sh*t), so I might be able to come up with ideas, if I decide to watch another season. 

We now know the Marthas have a network, and are involved with the resistance in some way - unless what's his name's martha set that up. I don't know whose house was burning. People were comparing the story to Jane Eyre, but I'm hoping his house wasn't on fire, and that his wife wasn't in danger. 

He helped to create Gilead, and now regrets it, just like Serena. 

We will probably see the guy from the bar again. 

I hope that June isn't with the Waterford's again. I need them to be punished. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Anela said:

We now know the Marthas have a network, and are involved with the resistance in some way - unless what's his name's martha set that up. I don't know whose house was burning. People were comparing the story to Jane Eyre, but I'm hoping his house wasn't on fire, and that his wife wasn't in danger. 

He helped to create Gilead, and now regrets it, just like Serena. 

We will probably see the guy from the bar again. 

I hope that June isn't with the Waterford's again. I need them to be punished. 

It was an empty house across the street from the Waterfords, and then later another empty house. (There were more than one.) 

Fire played a big part in JANE EYRE both figuratively and literally, just as it did in this season of THT so I think that's kind of cool. 

I'm loving kooky Commander Lawrence and his crazy wife. I really hope we see more of them. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, mamadrama said:

It was an empty house across the street from the Waterfords, and then later another empty house. (There were more than one.) 

Fire played a big part in JANE EYRE both figuratively and literally, just as it did in this season of THT so I think that's kind of cool. 

I'm loving kooky Commander Lawrence and his crazy wife. I really hope we see more of them. 

My first post about the Commander and his crazy wife was about how similar it was to Jane Eyre but the Commander is not the sad sack Rochester was, the Commander is too smart to get caught up with and ill fated romance.  However, I do think the writers enjoyed the Bronte novel and took liberties with some of the plot lines in HMT.  

I would love to see the wife become some sort of catalyst for the rebels, nobody would pay her any mind because she is presumed crazy so she could get away with a lot more.

The Martha's are badass and can get women out of Gilead but at this point Mayday and the Martha's (great band name, right?) are probably fed up with June and her boomerang like behaviors.  

• Love 2

It is not a theory because Writers! but I do hope to see more of Mrs. Lawrence and Cora. Not so interested in Mr. Lawrence, unless they are going to explain how one of the architects of Gilead, the one who created the colonies, can be so pro-resistance. And just saying that he saw the monster he created will not satisfy me. I want some more depth (I know, I shouldn't expect that from the writers of this show)

I do think they will jump a few years into the future. I think we are going to see what happened with the escape in flashbacks. Hopefully, we will see more of the Martha's Underground.

The biggest problem with having expectations for this show is that the writer's room seems to be full of very unimaginative people. We can expect something based on what we know about the world of Gilead, then they mess it up with absurd and contradictory plots.

• Love 6

I figured June stayed because she realized there is a resistance in Gilead, and she wants to stay and help it so she can get Hannah.  But I do wonder how she can stay with the Waterford’s after what nick did to Fred and Serena knowing June left with Nicole.

• Love 2

I think the writers did a poor job on the storyline because they wanted to overdramatize a escape, just to have the escapee throw it all out.

They need June to stay in Gilead because they are not good enough to imagine stories that do not center on June, Gilead and the Waterfords. In their minds, EM is the only actor that can lead them all, so the character needs to be where things are going to happen. Again, no imagination. 

• Love 6

I think that Commander Lawrence maybe the other Commander, (Commander Judd), referenced in the epilogue with Waterford, that links to June... I suppose the writers are giving us the actual events of our story's universe, (the origins of June's tapes or season's one story, are the personal items she left upstairs at the Boston Globe taken care of by the guy to end up in Maine)... It would be believable since the History of Gillead in the Au is limited that the professor has Waterford, Lawrence, Judd, among others' events commingled... Therefore, Lawrence could be the gray haired Commander instead of Waterford (Gillidean propaganda/misinformation) to be executed on live TV around the world as one of the early architectural Commanders purged from the regime for hiding a subversive, possibly June, etc. along with Waterford purged or simply executed separately for his secular crimes against the regime, (ushering in the middle era of Gillead, though there would need to be a time jump to accommodate the new generation of Gillidean children aging to harness control of the regime)... Thus leaving SJ a widow (pre-jump), a wife dressed in black, a semi-new costume for us; (Wolfie's wife wore black before his trail, then hand amputation), trying to get Holly (Nichole) from June once more because she regrets that decision... Also making Luke's original marriage to Annie void, (middle era, post-jump) n she a criminal sentenced to be a handmaid/unwoman if in Gillead n discovered or extradited if escaped...

Do compu-counts still exist??? I only ask because of the form of payment needed to buy a prayer from the copy shop store; or are they gonna use loaves n fishes tickets or something similar??? I know Gillead still has a currency, is it in any form of dollars or cents anymore??? Hopefully Commander Lawrence will have additional answers beyond only the colonies...

Edited by trinistyles
Extradition thought
On 14 September 2018 at 10:31 PM, Hanahope said:

But I do wonder how she can stay with the Waterford’s after what nick did to Fred and Serena knowing June left with Nicole.

I suspect that she may be able to stay because Fred is going to cover up her involvement.

He was furious about how Eden's affair reflected on him. He hasn't exposed the fact that he is not Nicole's father because it would mean losing the credit he currently gets for being blessed with a baby. I can't imagine that he wants to report to his fellow Commanders that his Wife (who just flaunted the rule against women reading), his Handmaid, his Martha and his driver were all involved in a plot to smuggle "his" newborn daughter out of Gilead.

They'd be executed for it but the best case scenario for him is that he'd lose every ounce of respect the other Commanders have for him due to his inability to control his household, and be "encouraged to resign". 

It's better for him to claim that an outsider kidnapped the baby.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ReganX said:

I suspect that she may be able to stay because Fred is going to cover up her involvement.

He was furious about how Eden's affair reflected on him. He hasn't exposed the fact that he is not Nicole's father because it would mean losing the credit he currently gets for being blessed with a baby. I can't imagine that he wants to report to his fellow Commanders that his Wife (who just flaunted the rule against women reading), his Handmaid, his Martha and his driver were all involved in a plot to smuggle "his" newborn daughter out of Gilead.

They'd be executed for it but the best case scenario for him is that he'd lose every ounce of respect the other Commanders have for him due to his inability to control his household, and be "encouraged to resign". 

It's better for him to claim that an outsider kidnapped the baby.

Yes, that does make a lot of sense.  I suppose that will be why they will also keep June, she's proven fertile and Fred is presumed fertile as well.

1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

Yes, that does make a lot of sense.  I suppose that will be why they will also keep June, she's proven fertile and Fred is presumed fertile as well.

If she's to stay at the Waterford house, the argument will probably be that Fred is owed a replacement for his lost baby. 

• Love 1
On 2 December 2018 at 2:12 AM, trinistyles said:

Do compu-counts still exist??? I only ask because of the form of payment needed to buy a prayer from the copy shop store; or are they gonna use loaves n fishes tickets or something similar??? I know Gillead still has a currency, is it in any form of dollars or cents anymore??? 

Given how controlling Gilead is, it wouldn't surprise me if cash is no longer used. They wouldn't want citizens to have access to a form of currency that they could use untraceably. Tokens for food facilitate rationing, and if they have compu-counts, purchases could be closely monitored. 

Does anybody else think that Gilead might be experiencing a very insecure food supply?

The Handmaids go grocery shopping on a daily basis, only getting a day's worth of food at a time. When June was summoned to a Salvaging in the pilot, Rita had to do the shopping, so she presumably did not already have the supplies on hand for dinner. Even Eden seemed to be shopping for that evening's meal, as opposed to a weekly grocery shop.

They also use tokens rather than being able to charge purchases to the Commanders' accounts, which suggests that rationing is in play.

Keeping June in that household for another season, no matter how clever the reason they come up with , will be the dead kneel this show deserves.

It was on life support by the end of S2 because of the repetitiveness and quasi redemption of Serena Joy ( call her Nicole. ew) Going back to the same old dynamic would be the nail on the coffin.

The year end best shows lists are coming out and guess which show is not cracking the top 20? They were in the Top 5 of majority of critics lists last year. 

• Love 4

My hope is that June doesn't go back to the Waterfords. Last season was torturous, with all the times she came close to escaping, only to end up back where she started.

She stayed in Gilead because she needs to get Hannah out, but she's hardly going to be able to search for her if she's restricted to the Waterford house, which will be under especially intense scrutiny if they've just lost a baby. Maybe she can go into hiding with the help of the Mayday movement, and track Hannah from the shadows. 

If she doesn't go back, Fred will pin her with the blame for kidnapping Nicole.

The advantage to Serena's quasi-redemption is that she can potentially have a storyline outside her role as antagonist to June. Next season could see her continuing to be disillusioned about Gilead and wanting to make changes. 

On 12/5/2018 at 11:31 AM, ReganX said:

Given how controlling Gilead is, it wouldn't surprise me if cash is no longer used. They wouldn't want citizens to have access to a form of currency that they could use untraceably. Tokens for food facilitate rationing, and if they have compu-counts, purchases could be closely monitored. 

Does anybody else think that Gilead might be experiencing a very insecure food supply?

The Handmaids go grocery shopping on a daily basis, only getting a day's worth of food at a time. When June was summoned to a Salvaging in the pilot, Rita had to do the shopping, so she presumably did not already have the supplies on hand for dinner. Even Eden seemed to be shopping for that evening's meal, as opposed to a weekly grocery shop.

They also use tokens rather than being able to charge purchases to the Commanders' accounts, which suggests that rationing is in play.

Cash was extinct pre-Gilead... So I think the compu-counts still exists, for the males, who can use them, to ascend the ranks... Its not like they have to pay rent or utilities anymore, if tokens for food etc. (though the reading/writing thing could be a foundational part of the tokens/tickets use), housing is probably state issued for financial & security purposes... Salary is probably like military type payroll of today for toiletries, personal effects, etc. giving an opportunity to still build a fortune, albeit slowly or vacation as able (what else could be bought???)...

The food shortage is global, per 1×06 Mexican ambassador, the world is adjusting to new climate patterns, staples are problematic... Though a return to traditional values would emphasize fresh food daily, except the open air markets of then are now grocery stores, bakeries, butcher shops, etc. hence daily walks for shopping, exercise, activity, etc... Everything is fresh/organic, can goods are insurance, though the balance of the shortage mixed with the traditional values definitely is straining the system more...

The writing on the wall cripples the June returning to the Waterford house angle, an abandoned house maybe like the aunt Lydia story for the Nick/Holly birth situation might work... Then the writers are arcing a Nick vs Waterford war that might be season long; that could accommodate her return inspite of the writing on the wall & the Holly kidnapping via Waterford cya, though why risk it when you are already gone??? Especially if SJ (Thelma), per writer's arc, regrets her choice, then attemps to get the baby returned, is possible??? If June's in the wind, no damage to Nick vs Waterford, Waterford still covers his ass for season long effect, SJ has Fred to assist with Nichole & the resistance story opens its wings...

• Love 1

I also want more of the other handmaids.  Specifically, Alma, who has been in the resistance far longer than June.  She knew plenty about what was happening in the Waterford household, the comings and goings of June and her commander, June's opportunities for outside communication, and she can take June down a peg or two when need be.  She's interesting.  Perhaps as June gets deeper into the resistance, we can get more about Alma.  

I still think they will bring June back to the Waterfords - how else can she be out in Gilead society not be with them?   For one, the 3 are the core main characters.  But I also think a season of June hiding in the shadows working for the resistance will be too much of Elizabeth Moss sitting around and thinking out loud.  I think they will capitalize on Emily getting out by blaming her for the kidnapping of Nicole and the attack on Aunt Lydia.  Aunt Lydia a victim and June - who to the outside world is seen as a fertile believer - desperate to save her commander's daughter from the crazed and dangerous rogue handmaid.  And as for Nick and the commander, Nick's job is to protect the commander.  He didn't say, you stay here so they can get your kid out.  He said, it's too dangerous outside, I can't let you out, we'll stay here.  And hey, they can blame Emily for the writing on the wall as well.  Once again, WE know the story behind that phrase.  Those who will investigate the kidnapping, do not.  

On 12/5/2018 at 9:31 AM, ReganX said:

Answered already, but yes, Gilead has a food shortage, that's why they did the deal with Mexico, no trade, no imported food, vast areas of the country are wasteland, transportation systems damaged, lack of gasoline, their ecology measures, and of course, resistance fighting all over the place inhibiting things.

On 12/5/2018 at 11:34 PM, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

Keeping June in that household for another season, no matter how clever the reason they come up with , will be the dead kneel this show deserves.

It was on life support by the end of S2 because of the repetitiveness and quasi redemption of Serena Joy ( call her Nicole. ew) Going back to the same old dynamic would be the nail on the coffin.

It was on life support because of many reasons, which I over-detailed in the bitching thread here.  The episodes didn't hang together, there was no pay off for anything in the following episodes, AND they are quite obviously trying to milk this cash cow for as long as possible, using their outstanding actresses, and deliberately giving them emmy bait episodes to milk. 

Luckily, the critics pretty much agree with most of that and the other things I detailed, and I THINK they will care about the critics.  Frankly, they just got two golden globe noms, but they didn't get even 1/3rd of the noms they did first season.

On 12/6/2018 at 8:54 AM, ReganX said:

My hope is that June doesn't go back to the Waterfords. Last season was torturous, with all the times she came close to escaping, only to end up back where she started.

She stayed in Gilead because she needs to get Hannah out, but she's hardly going to be able to search for her if she's restricted to the Waterford house, which will be under especially intense scrutiny if they've just lost a baby. Maybe she can go into hiding with the help of the Mayday movement, and track Hannah from the shadows. 

If she doesn't go back, Fred will pin her with the blame for kidnapping Nicole.

The advantage to Serena's quasi-redemption is that she can potentially have a storyline outside her role as antagonist to June. Next season could see her continuing to be disillusioned about Gilead and wanting to make changes. 

I think she goes back to Freds at least for now.  So, this thread isn't marked spoilers?  I'll tag this then, book info.  I hope June eventually goes to that cool commander that helped Emily and the baby escape.  He was a breath of fresh air.

Spoiler

Fred's probably going to be disgraced, and die, and the fallout from all of that should be good, so in that way, provided they kill him early in the season?  I'd like June to be with Serena for that.  I want to see what will happen to Serena especially.

On 12/11/2018 at 12:48 PM, BrindaWalsh said:

I also want more of the other handmaids.  Specifically, Alma, who has been in the resistance far longer than June.  She knew plenty about what was happening in the Waterford household, the comings and goings of June and her commander, June's opportunities for outside communication, and she can take June down a peg or two when need be.  She's interesting.  Perhaps as June gets deeper into the resistance, we can get more about Alma.  

I don't care much about Alma, but a bit more of her would be nice.

I'd really like to see that wife of the Muslim man who was in the resistance though, and I'd LOVE interaction between her and June, now that she's a handmaid too.  She was so dismissive of June, and now she's in the same boat, husband gone/dead and child "reassigned" and she's a handmaid too.  I also think it would be interesting to see any changes in the handmaid's treatment, if there are more econowives in her group, if Gilead is now stealing fertile wives from approved marriages.

Most of all though, I want to see the wars, the resistance, and I am seriously hoping Emily's journey will show some of that, since she was traveling through the area on the map that showed heavy resistance, or at least very near it.  I would love to see how they live, who is supporting them, and give Emily a real chance to fight them.

As for Canada, I'm sick of the moping and crap, I want to see them communicating with the governments of the world.  They didn't need the stories June gave them, they have dozens (hundreds?) of people RIGHT THERE to tell their stories.  Why aren't the being interviewed by France, England, hell, Saudi Arabia?  Why isn't the press all over this story, why isn't Oprah interviewing them?  What are the richest expats that probably got out in time on their private jets doing/saying.

Show us the WORLD writers, you left book June's limited POV long ago, now do something with it.

Edited by Umbelina
y
  • Love 1
On 12/11/2018 at 2:48 PM, BrindaWalsh said:

Once again, WE know the story behind that phrase.  Those who will investigate the kidnapping, do not.  

The Eyes know something because it was in the closet, they had to have been all up in that house during June's kidnapping... "Knower of Latin, scratcher of words" bwl... Because binge watching it now when she gets home from the globe the closet wall is sanded smooth erasing it, so they know it was in her room before... I mean its gonna be, "Nick, before you call in the kidnapping, go to the garage, get some paint, cover this please..." or else its a huge problem to explain the coincidence...

I presume it's an insecure food supply (my understanding is that most of the world has some form of sanctions on Gilead, and it feels like outside of the controlled areas of Gilead we mostly see, the rest of the former US is unstable), mixed with yet another way to control everyone.  If everyone has to shop daily for food, it's pretty easy to punish people by taking away their ability to get the daily food supply.

On 23 December 2018 at 5:41 PM, txhorns79 said:

I presume it's an insecure food supply (my understanding is that most of the world has some form of sanctions on Gilead, and it feels like outside of the controlled areas of Gilead we mostly see, the rest of the former US is unstable), mixed with yet another way to control everyone.  If everyone has to shop daily for food, it's pretty easy to punish people by taking away their ability to get the daily food supply.

An insecure food supply makes a lot of sense, especially given that Gilead was willing to offer up fertile women for a trade deal. 

As well as being able to take away the food supply, it's also a good way to keep tabs on citizens, particularly the Econo families. It will be noticed if Mrs X skips the daily food shop. Restricting the supply to one day's worth of groceries also means that people will find it harder to gather provisions for a journey out of Gilead.

They supposedly have agricultural Colonies, but I wonder if the photographs there were staged. If they existed, would it not have made more sense to send Emily, Janine and other Handmaids there rather than to the radiation-soaked Colonies? Then again, the Commanders of Gilead are so short-sighted that it probably never occurred to them that they might need to recall condemned Handmaids, and that it was therefore a doubleplus ungood idea to risk damaging their fertility by sticking them in a dumping ground for toxic waste. 

• Love 1