Type keyword(s) to search

S09.05 First Dates 2018.08.23

The final three teams head to the Coachella Valley in Southern California, where thousands of country music fans will soon arrive for a massive festival. Tyler Florence educates the teams on Medjool dates, which are grown in the area, and each team pits a pound of dates and sprints off in their truck. Then Tyler calls with another challenge: Each truck must create and sell an original date dish to be judged by date growers Albert Keck and Melinda Dougherty. Sales spike during the festival, and the race is neck and neck, but only two trucks move on to the finale.

They got me with all the "Will $600 be enough?" stuff. Totally thought Wing boys were going to end up losing.

I liked the date challenge, though I'm not really a date fan. Always nice to get more Tyler time. The zeppole and wings looked good. The donuts did not.

• Love 7

I really thought we were going to have a Turtle and the Hare type of tale tonight! The Wing It boys were so convinced that the $600 would win it easily for them that they didn't finish the day out selling...so I thought the two "hares" might catch up! It was really close and the $600 did make the final difference. I am still not excited with this season but I guess I can make it through one more show.

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 7

That woman from New England Grill calling people by terms of endearment (what can I get you honey?) makes me feel very stabby. Drives me crazy when people do that. I thought that at least they learned how to correctly pronounce “quesadilla”, but then I heard someone pronounce it “kay-sa-dill-ah” again. I hate them, why couldn’t they have been eliminated? I’m going to be so unhappy if they win.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, GaT said:

That woman from New England Grill calling people by terms of endearment (what can I get you honey?) makes me feel very stabby. Drives me crazy when people do that. I thought that at least they learned how to correctly pronounce “quesadilla”, but then I heard someone pronounce it “kay-sa-dill-ah” again. I hate them, why couldn’t they have been eliminated? I’m going to be so unhappy if they win.

It's OK if you are quoting from Napoleon Dynamite "Just make yourself a dang quesadilla!"

5 hours ago, GaT said:

I thought that at least they learned how to correctly pronounce “quesadilla”, but then I heard someone pronounce it “kay-sa-dill-ah” again.

I think they are joking. I heard them say it correctly several times. It is something my aunt and I do when we hang out. Sometimes we'll even fake corrrect the other when they use correct pronunciation and say "Sorry, that's..." and use the wrong version. There have been times when I've worried about doing a presentation at work because it contained words I like to intentionally mispronounce and I didn't want to slip ip in front of people who weren't in on the joke and look like an idiot! Quesadilla is absolutely a word we've done that with, though we'd go all the say and say "kwess-a-dill-a".

• Love 7

So we are supposed to believe that three guys who were recently the “worst cooks in America” can now whip up a delicious date sauce for chicken wings on the fly? 

• Love 10

I like the guys from WCIA, but if it wasn't for Kevin ( I think that is his name ) they would have gone home. Deep frying chicken wings and slapping some sauce on it isn't rocket science. Even NW Clam bake was using store brought chips. Seems in seasons past we had a better group of culinary cooks/chefs - 

• Love 5

Maybe some details get lost in editing, but when they were stabbing the dates with the skewers, and Tyler said, save them because you're going to use them later, I couldn't help notice there was no evidence that any of the teams washed their hands, nor did Tyler wash his hands before diving into the pile of dates that were going to be used to feed people.  I'm probably the least germaphobic nurse ever, but that bothered me!

15 hours ago, GaT said:

That woman from New England Grill calling people by terms of endearment (what can I get you honey?) makes me feel very stabby.

Even worse than the use of the word "honey" was her high-pitched sing-song delivery.  Like some people use to talk to small children.  

I haven't done a lot of business with food trucks, so does anyone know if real life food truck crews go out and harass passers-by, as if they were selling nail products from kiosks in the mall?  That style of marketing makes me give those vendors a very wide berth.  Even if I wanted their product, I'd never go there.

Nothing to do with the competition, but the 900,000 people in the pool at the same time made me scratch my head.  Saw that the Wing It people were selling water for $2/bottle.  Even the vendors on Las Vegas Boulevard only ask for a buck.  Fucking price gougers.

• Love 4

I have frequented my fair share of food trucks, and never has one person working on a food truck yelled at or even asked me to buy/try their food. At most, a few times I have stopped in front of one staring at its menu and was asked if  I had any  questions or wanted to try anything. Advertising and begging for customers is mainly done through social media or word of mouth. Again, this has been my experience.

I hope this show does not encourage this more aggressive way of getting customers at a food truck.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

hope this show does not encourage this more aggressive way of getting customers at a food truck.

I can’t imagine enough people watch this show to have any impact. In the first few seasons when they were actual FTs they didn’t do it. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Nothing to do with the competition, but the 900,000 people in the pool at the same time made me scratch my head.  

That's right--I'd forgotten that. It looked so claustrophobic. What would be enjoyable or relaxing about being in a pool with so many people that you literally could not turn around?

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

That's right--I'd forgotten that. It looked so claustrophobic. What would be enjoyable or relaxing about being in a pool with so many people that you literally could not turn around?

Knowing you were going to be on TV?

• Love 3

I was scratching my head over what looked like a huge inflated bull in the pool.  I wish they had explained that.

I like the wing guys and hope they win but I was disappointed in them when they quit early.  I thought Tyler would have some harsh words about that but I suppose he decided not to say anything when they won the challenge.  

What on earth made the one New England guy think exposing his overweight, hairy body would whet anyone's appetite?  Between him and the woman screeching and calling everyone "sweetheart" and so on, I would have given that truck a very wide berth.  The men seem to be good cooks but I don't like any of them.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I was scratching my head over what looked like a huge inflated bull in the pool.  I wish they had explained that.

I like the wing guys and hope they win but I was disappointed in them when they quit early.  I thought Tyler would have some harsh words about that but I suppose he decided not to say anything when they won the challenge.  

What on earth made the one New England guy think exposing his overweight, hairy body would whet anyone's appetite?  Between him and the woman screeching and calling everyone "sweetheart" and so on, I would have given that truck a very wide berth.  The men seem to be good cooks but I don't like any of them.

Totally agree that I expected some harsh words about the Wing boys slacking off.

And also totally agree that the New England team seems to cook okay but they do not have a telegenic molecule among them. Just ick.

• Love 2

Yeah, the wing guys look like Food Network’s next freaks as hosts/stars as opposed to, you know, real chefs because that’s what they’re all about now.  

I have no desire to eat any of the food this group puts out.

• Love 4

I never got the Moo Shoo Girls concept.  Did they have one?

As for the wings guys, wings can be fun at a party or sharing at a bar, but I love my arteries and have a family history of heart disease.

That said, Christine is really annoying, but it was fun watching her try to hold her hair on in the Palm Springs gusty winds.

Overall, I liked New England's food better.  As for the others - $10 to $12 to chow down out on the street for that?  I could make a left turn into a local pub and get the same thing along with a barstool and a flatscreen TV.

Food Network has, sadly, become an object of wary suspicion that most of their participants are plants.  (OK - you too, MasterChef). The appearance of the Worst Cooks in America running a food truck is just too convenient.

Can we start a gofundme.com to bring back Kermit, Medusa and Brooke?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I was confused too. Their truck had a mouth eating a noodle on it, but I don’t think they ever made pasta. They just kept making loaded fries and tacos. I felt so dumb I even googled “what is moo shu”. 

• Love 4
On 8/24/2018 at 8:52 AM, cameron said:

The New England lady has a mouth like the one shown on the Scream movie Mask.  Can't stand her screechy voice or the way she contorts her mouth.

Omigod yes!!! Drives me 'round the twist!

On 8/24/2018 at 9:32 AM, Maya said:

So we are supposed to believe that three guys who were recently the “worst cooks in America” can now whip up a delicious date sauce for chicken wings on the fly? 

The only thing FN has accomplished with Wing Guys is to confirm what we already know, that both WCIA and Food Truck Race are complete frauds.

3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Overall, I liked New England's food better.  As for the others - $10 to $12 to chow down out on the street for that?  I could make a left turn into a local pub and get the same thing along with a barstool and a flatscreen TV.

Food Network has, sadly, become an object of wary suspicion that most of their participants are plants.  (OK - you too, MasterChef). The appearance of the Worst Cooks in America running a food truck is just too convenient.

Apparently Moo Shu trucks concept is to make anything BUT Moo Shu.

The prices, in relation to the small portion sizes, are obscene. The wing dudes appeared to provide 4 wings for $12, while the steroid dude and the screechy lady provided tiny portions of their seafood, or 4 zeppoles for $10 on day 1, $12 on day 2.

The scenes of that disgusting slob shirtless might be the second most disgusting moment in FN history, only exceeded by FN Star Lenny McNab doing the similar pose with candy bars taped to his wool sweater body. As if the screechy lady wasn’t enough to scare away potential customers, having an overweight grizzly bear slob of a guy parading shirtless near food would ensure no rational person would purchase anything there. Also, am I the only one who thinks the big steroid dude has a dip of chew in his lower lip whenever he is on camera?

Has anyone else noticed that almost every scene of these fame hounds running around seeking out customers, shows an almost empty street?

Finally, was anyone else hoping the Seafood dudes would slam the door down on screechys head one more time?

Edited by MajorWoody
  • Love 6

I was confused too. Their truck had a mouth eating a noodle on it, 

I never could decide if that logo was meant to be a mouth eating a noodle or a mouth that was supposed to be a flower on a stem.  Either way, it had nothing to do with moo shu - just like their cooking.

• Love 3

The moo shu concept confused me too. What confused me more was Tyler's praise of the concept when there was nothing moo shu about it. I mean if Tyler liked their food that is fine, but to call it moo shu is wrong.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

The moo shu concept confused me too. What confused me more was Tyler's praise of the concept when there was nothing moo shu about it. I mean if Tyler liked their food that is fine, but to call it moo shu is wrong.

This.  Especially when Tyler, on other seasons of this show and other competition shows he's done (the food court at the mall show) seems to always harp on having a clear concept that relays what your food is and what the customer is expecting.  He's a stickler for that sort of thing and to let the Moo Shu girls get off with no Moo Shu (is it Moo Shu or Mu Shu?)?  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Maya said:

I was confused too. Their truck had a mouth eating a noodle on it, but I don’t think they ever made pasta. They just kept making loaded fries and tacos. I felt so dumb I even googled “what is moo shu”. 

Moo shu is a Chinese dish, chopped up chicken or pork and veggies wrapped in a thin pancake with a hoison or plum sauce. But I don't remember them actually making moo shu. Their concept seemed to be anything vaguely Asian. (Since obviously none of them were Asian, so it would've been interesting to have some discussion about why they went that route).

19 hours ago, mlp said:
5 hours ago, MajorWoody said:

The prices, in relation to the small portion sizes, are obscene. The wing dudes appeared to provide 4 wings for $12, while the steroid dude and the screechy lady provided tiny portions of their seafood, or 4 zeppoles for $10 on day 1, $12 on day 2.

Even worse than "sweetheart" is when she calls random total strangers "my love."  It's fake sincere and creepy at the same time. Also creepy was when one of the New England guys said to a woman that if she buys their date dish she'd also get a "date" with him. In this "me too" era that seems really inappropriate. I agree their food has generally sounded good, but I really hope they don't win. Especially because it would mean listening to Christine shriek her head off.

The prices charged by the trucks on this show have always been way out of line, and the only reason people would pay those prices is because it's a TV show. Also, I've eaten at tons of food trucks in several different cities, and have never been accosted on the street or had someone yelling at me to buy their food. This show does not in any way accurately portray the real food truck business.

8 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I don't see them as actually wanting to run a food truck. which is a tough, competitive business. Same with New England Grill. I was sorry that Chop Shop got eliminated, because they felt to me like the only team actually doing this to get into the food truck business, instead of for money or their 15 minutes of TV fame. (That said, I could see a wing truck as being successful. It's an easy to grasp concept and Americans love their wings).

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Please refresh my memory...who is Brooke?

Brooke was the elegantly dressed older blonde woman who occasionally showed up with Kermit and Medusa.  I think she was president of Food Network at the time.

• Love 1
On 8/24/2018 at 7:02 PM, mlp said:

What on earth made the one New England guy think exposing his overweight, hairy body would whet anyone's appetite?  Between him and the woman screeching and calling everyone "sweetheart" and so on, I would have given that truck a very wide berth. 

I was horrified seeing his hairy body so close to the food they were making.  NO WAY I would eat there.

21 hours ago, bluepiano said:

This show does not in any way accurately portray the real food truck business.

I agree.  I was thinking it's not even about how good the food is since they aren't in one city long enough to get a reputation, good or bad.

• Love 3
On 8/25/2018 at 8:18 AM, Foodfreak said:

Yeah, the wing guys look like Food Network’s next freaks as hosts/stars as opposed to, you know, real chefs because that’s what they’re all about now.  

I have no desire to eat any of the food this group puts out.

Except their last few S&S have been from actual chefs and knowledgeable people. It seems the days of B-list celebrities are gone after all but one failed.

16 hours ago, Kathy said:

Does anyone else think the lady from the New England truck team resembles Garth from SNL's Wayne and Garth Waynes's World?

I can totally see that now that you say it.  All I can think of when  I see her is this lady named Diane Black who recently lost the Republican nomination for governor of Tennessee.  Her annoying ads (including one where she's reading the Bible on a railroad track) ran incessantly on my NBC affiliate, so I developed an intense hatred for her lol.

I was so hoping the wings guys had set themselves up for an embarrassing elimination, but alas...

The wing guys win the challenge after Tyler makes a big deal out of the fact that it should be creative and they make... a wing sauce. Which is what they do, and what they've done for pretty much every challenge ingredient. Tyler praised it for being "a savory dish." Why do I watch this stupid show! 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

The wing guys win the challenge after Tyler makes a big deal out of the fact that it should be creative and they make... a wing sauce. Which is what they do, and what they've done for pretty much every challenge ingredient. Tyler praised it for being "a savory dish." Why do I watch this stupid show! 

They’re a Wing truck sticking to wings is smart. It actually annoys me when people abandon their concept just because they can’t think of a way to make the ingredient work with their brand.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

They’re a Wing truck sticking to wings is smart. It actually annoys me when people abandon their concept just because they can’t think of a way to make the ingredient work with their brand.

Plus everyone else went sweet so savory was creative.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

Plus everyone else went sweet so savory was creative.

Since all they do is make wings they couldn't have gone sweet like the other trucks. I guess the date sauce was really tasty, if we're to believe the guest judges.

Having just one item that you only have to vary slightly based on the challenge has been a winning formula in the past, like with the waffle truck that I believe won. (or maybe came in second). Simple is better, and keeps you from trying to get too creative and setting yourself up for failure.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bluepiano said:

Since all they do is make wings they couldn't have gone sweet like the other trucks. I guess the date sauce was really tasty, if we're to believe the guest judges.

Having just one item that you only have to vary slightly based on the challenge has been a winning formula in the past, like with the waffle truck that I believe won. (or maybe came in second). Simple is better, and keeps you from trying to get too creative and setting yourself up for failure.

There are a ton of sweet sauces....also Waffle lost to Pho even with the rigging to make it close.