Type keyword(s) to search

Don't Eat That! The Food Recall Thread

• Start Topic

This thread is for posting information on food recalls, whatever may have caused them to be issued (bacterial contamination causing illness/hospitalization, foreign object contamination [such as glass or metal shards accidentally finding their way into packaging] in the packaging process, mislabeled packaging [such as packages falsely stating a known food-type allergen, such as peanuts or gluten, either is or isn't in the product], etc.). The thread title kinda sucks, but it's the best I could think of.

I think it's an important enough issue--as knowing about a food recall could potentially save someone's life--to warrant a separate thread rather than being buried in the Small Talk thread, which isn't even supposed to be for food-related talk, or in What's for Dinner? (the 2 most likely existing threads where this might be discussed), where it also doesn't fit.

Here's a recall I just found earlier today:

From USA TodayDon't Eat Crab Meat From Venezuela, CDC and FDA Warn Amid Multistate Outbreak

Fresh crab meat from Venezuela is infected with the  Vibrio parahaemolyticus virus, which has infected at least 12 people across the country, including 4 hospitalizations, as of Friday.

People sickened by the virus have been found in Maryland, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, & the District of Columbia.

The crab meat can commonly be found in plastic tubs; it might be labeled as "pre-cooked". If can be served chilled or reheated.

Symptoms, which usually develop within 24 hours of infection by the bacteria, include watery and sometimes bloody diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, nausea, fever, and stomach pain.

Consumers are being advised to ask their grocers and restaurants where their crab meat comes from before buying it. Retailers should not be selling the infected meat.

Also from USA Today:

Up to 100 Salmonella Infections in 33 States Linked to Kellogg's Honey Smacks Cereal This is a continuing recall originally issued in June

Another from USA Today: Hormel Recalls 220,000 Pounds of Spam Over Metal Contamination Fears This recall was originally issued in May

• Love 2

We got a call from Harris Teeter about Wish-Bone House Italian dressing (bar code: 41321 00648).  They said to call them or Pinnacle Foods, but since I'd bought two bottles and one bottle was already being used, I haven't called yet.  I can't remember what the reason was as I picked up the phone and the msg had already started and it was too fast to write it down.  I may call HT one of these days, though, just to see what the heck it was all about (I think it had something to do with people who have dairy issues who shouldn't use the dressing). Harris Teeter's number is: 1-800-432-6111 option 2.

On 7/20/2018 at 5:16 PM, rcc said:

This is a very good thread. We don't always hear about all the recalls. Of all the recalls posted I had only heard about the cereal.

@rcc: As the person who started the thread, I appreciate the comments. I just always thought (especially since I had posted about a fatal case involving a different strain of Vibrio, that shellfish-related, illness-causing bacteria I posted about at the start of the thread, in 1 of the other threads where it really didn't belong, sometime late last year or earlier this year) there should be a place to discuss important food-related news like this. Especially since at least some, if not many, people might have somehow missed hearing about 1 or more food recalls (as you said, you'd only heard about the cereal recall, of all that were posted about before it), & as scary as it may sound, the information about a food recall, &/or cases of food poisoning &/or other food-borne illnesses, may potentially save someone's life if it gets out there where they can find out about it (or, things may go the other way if someone who needs it doesn't get this type of info).

• Love 1
(edited)

From WGN-TV: These Foods Linked to Ongoing Outbreaks Might Make You Sick

Recalls reported in this news story, & NOT previously mentioned in the thread are

Pasta Salad: Hy-Vee stores (based in Iowa) have recalled a pasta salad that might be linked to at least 20 people getting sick from salmonella.

The 1-pound & 3-pound plastic containers of Spring Pasta Salad were sold in 8 states: Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska & South Dakota--where the salmonella illnesses were reported--& Illinois, Missouri, Kansas & Wisconsin.

The product was produced between June 1 & July 13. The packages have expiration dates between June 22 & August 13.

Cut Melon: The US Food & Drug Administration is warning people in 23 states that cut melon & fruit salads containing it may be contaminated with salmonella. 

The outbreak has affected 60 people mostly in 5 Midwestern states, with about half of them hospitalized.

Cut watermelon, honeydew & cantaloupe as well as fruit salads containing these melons have been recalled in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin.

The fruits were sold in stores such as Walmart, Kroger, Walgreens, Sprouts Farmers Market, Costco & Whole Foods/Amazon.

Swiss Rolls: Flowers Foods announced a recall of Swiss Rolls because they may be contaminated with salmonella. The ingredient whey powder was recalled for possible contamination. There have been no reports of illness from Swiss Rolls, according to the company.

Swiss Rolls sold nationwide, under these brand names: Mrs. Freshley's, Food Lion, H-E-B, Baker's Treat, Market Square & Great Value, have been recalled. Captain John Derst's Old Fashioned Bread distributed in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, & South Carolina have also been recalled, the company said.

Ritz Cracker Sandwiches: Mondelēz Global LLC announced a voluntary recall of certain Ritz Cracker Sandwiches & other Ritz Bits products because they contain whey powder that has been recalled for possible salmonella contamination. The products are available nationwide.

The voluntary recall is a precaution, as no complaints of illness have been reported, the company said.

The recalled product list includes Ritz Bits cheese cracker sandwiches & mixed cookie & cracker variety packs.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spacing.
(edited)

From USA TodayPepperidge Farm Goldfish Crackers Recalled Amid Salmonella Scare

Pepperidge Farm is recalling 4 types of Goldfish Crackers because there is a chance whey powder used in the seasonings contains salmonella, the company announced Monday.

There have not been any reports of illnesses linked to the recall, but Pepperidge Farm said it is acting out of an abundance of caution.

The 4 types of crackers included in the recall are:

Flavor Blasted Xtra Cheddar

Flavor Blasted Sour Cream and Onion

Goldfish Baked with Whole Grain Xtra Cheddar

Goldfish Mix Xtra Cheddar + Pretzel         

Products with different types of packaging are included in the recall. Click here for a complete chart of all the crackers and their packages

If you bought any of the crackers included in the recall, you should throw them out or return them to the store where they were purchased for a refund. You can also request a reimbursement online.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix a list of items within the post.
(edited)

From WANE-TV.com: USDA Issues Alert About Salads, Wraps Due to Parasite Worry

A public health alert has been issued about more than 2 dozen beef, pork, & poultry salad & wrap products as a precaution due to possible parasite contamination. 

The products, distributed by Indianapolis-based Caito Foods, may be contaminated with cyclospora, which causes intestinal illness. Caito Foods was notified by their lettuce supplier, Fresh Express, that the chopped romaine in some of the salads was being recalled.

The products were sold by grocery stores including Trader Joe’s, Walgreens & Kroger. They have the establishment number “EST. 39985 or P-39985.” The USDA  has posted a complete list online. Customers are urged to throw them away.

NOTE: The linked list of recalled items is, unfortunately, in sort of small type. That wasn’t my decision. I hope you can read it. Depending on your reading device of choice, if needed, you might be able to click on it & get it to expand so you can read it.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To change a capital to a small letter.
(edited)

From CNN: Got milk? Vanilla Almond Breeze Might, Prompting Recall

HP Hood LLC has recalled some half-gallon cartons of refrigerated Vanilla Almond Breeze almond milk because they may contain milk, an allergen not listed on the label, the US Food and Drug Administration said Friday.

The product is safe to consume unless you have a milk allergy or sensitivity, the company said. However, those who do have an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reactions if they consume the beverage.

Approximately 145,254 half-gallon cartons of the affected almond milk were shipped to retailers & wholesalers in 28 states: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia & Wisconsin.

Consumers who purchased the product may return it for a full refund or exchange or visit the Blue Diamond website to complete a form (looks like it’s a reimbursement form).

The recall applies only to refrigerated Vanilla Almond Breeze almond milk with a use-by date of September 2, 2018. To identify recalled cartons, consumers should also look for a Universal Product Code (UPC barcode) of 41570 05621 on the side panel next to the nutrition facts.

Additionally, recalled cartons contain these identifying codes stamped on the containers: H5 L1 51-4109; H5 L2 51-4109; H6 L1 51-4109 & H6 L2 51-4109.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix a typo.
On 8/1/2018 at 7:04 PM, BW Manilowe said:

NOTE: The linked list of recalled items is, unfortunately, in sort of small type. That wasn’t my decision. I hope you can read it. Depending on your reading device of choice, if needed, you might be able to click on it & get it to expand so you can read it.

Holding down the control button (CTRL) and hitting the plus sign button (+) will enlarge some computer screens.  The more you hit the plus sign, the larger the screen gets.  To return to normal, hold down the control button (CTRL) and hit the minus sign button (-).  Again, the more you hit the minus sign, the smaller the screen will get.

if you have a mouse with a scroll button, holding the control button down while scrolling up or down will also change the screen sizes; up to enlarge, down to diminish.

• Love 1
(edited)

From NBC News: Salmonella Outbreak From Infected Eggs Has Sickened 38 People in 7 States Since Mid-June

10 people have been hospitalized since mid-June but no deaths have been reported. The eggs were sold primarily in retail stores & restaurants in Georgia, Alabama, & Tennessee.

Tests have traced the infections to eggs sold by Gravel Ridge Farms in Cullman, Alabama, which had issued a recall on September 8, the CDC said Tuesday.

The cartons have “best if used by” dates of July 25 to October 3, 2018. 

Here is specific information on the affected product(s), along with a list of retail stores involved. The only retail stores involved appear to be in Atlanta, Georgia & Birmingham, Alabama.

Salmonella cases have been reported in Colorado, Montana, Iowa, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, & Alabama. 24 new cases have been reported since September 10, when  the CDC issued its first report on the outbreak.

The CDC advises consumers to return any Gravel Ridge Farms eggs to the store where purchased or throw them out, even if some of the eggs were eaten & no one has gotten sick.

The symptoms of Salmonella poisoning are given in the linked article.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To correct and add info.

As the article notes, no recall has been issued.  But the CDC issued a food safety alert advising that no one eat romaine lettuce until they learn more about the outbreak, because so far they have not identified the common cause, so there's no way of saying, "Don't eat romaine lettuce from this farm/this region/whatever."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

As the article notes, no recall has been issued.  But the CDC issued a food safety alert advising that no one eat romaine lettuce until they learn more about the outbreak, because so far they have not identified the common cause, so there's no way of saying, "Don't eat romaine lettuce from this farm/this region/whatever."

Thanks for the correction there’s no actual recall... at least not yet. Our local media made it sound like there was, so I posted it here out of an abundance of caution. Besides, it’s still an advisory for consumers not to eat something because an outbreak of apparently food-borne illness has been associated with it, & passing along that kind of info is 1 of the purposes of this board.

Yeah, in terms of "Yo, you probably don't want to eat that!" notification, it's a distinction without a difference.  But the nuance of which government agency is sounding the alarm (the CDC issuing an alert versus the FDA, USDA, or a company issuing a recall) and why is good supplemental information.  Many media outlets are not including that, although the USA Today article linked to at least touched on it, which was kind of a pleasant surprise, since its reporting tends to gloss over details.

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

To be clear, that's from a year ago (and was posted in the Pet thread at the time).

Thanks. I didn’t realize. It seemed that kind of incident was back in the news lately, so I assumed it was a new event. Apologies.

I get emails from Penzey's Spices, and today's email included this link to a pdf from the USDA recall of products containing cooked chicken--for Listeria contamination, I think, though the email doesn't specify. They keep updating the list--it's now up to 191 pages, but no text, just scans of the product labels.  Most of these brands I've never even heard of, but there are several Trader Joe's products.  It took me about five minutes to scroll through, so it might be worth looking at in case anyone has bought chicken salad lately, or chicken spread, that kind of thing.  The Penzey's product is a chicken base flavoring.  Hope no one finds anything, but if you do, toss it.

• Love 1
On 10/17/2019 at 2:57 PM, Mondrianyone said:

I get emails from Penzey's Spices, and today's email included this link to a pdf from the USDA recall of products containing cooked chicken--for Listeria contamination, I think, though the email doesn't specify. They keep updating the list--it's now up to 191 pages, but no text, just scans of the product labels.  Most of these brands I've never even heard of, but there are several Trader Joe's products.  It took me about five minutes to scroll through, so it might be worth looking at in case anyone has bought chicken salad lately, or chicken spread, that kind of thing.  The Penzey's product is a chicken base flavoring.  Hope no one finds anything, but if you do, toss it.

Here's a general description of what's covered:

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/recalls-and-public-health-alerts/recall-case-archive/archive/2019/recall-094-2019-release

"WASHINGTON, Sept. 28, 2019 – Tip Top Poultry, Inc, a Rockmart, Ga., establishment, is recalling an undetermined amount of ready-to-eat (RTE) poultry products that may be adulterated with Listeria monocytogenes, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The frozen cooked, diced or shredded, RTE chicken products were produced between January 21, 2019 and September 24, 2019. The products subject to recall can be found in this spreadsheet. [View labels (PDF only)].

The products subject to recall bear establishment number “Est. P-17453” inside the USDA mark of inspection. These items were shipped to institutions nationwide in the United States and Canada..."

There are some items in the list made for long-term storage so anyone who bought food products containing chicken or chicken products for emergencies, travel, camping, etc since the beginning of 2019 needs to check their supplies.

Thanks for the warning.

• Love 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/coca-cola-s-massive-recall-on-7-000-cases-affects-at-least-8-states-here-s-what-to-throw-out/ar-AARMx7R?ocid=msedgntp

Both recalls were issued because the company suspects "foreign matter" may be present in cans and cartons that have been distributed across the country.

This is why certain Coke bottles have yellow caps.

What Products Have Been Recalled?

If you're a fan of Sprite, Coca-Cola or Minute Maid products, take a look inside your refrigerator.

Sprite & Coke Recall

The Sprite and Coca-Cola recall was issued in late November, according to the Defense Commissary Agency. Because the soda has such a long shelf life, it's still worth taking a look in your refrigerator or garage. The cans were distributed in the Southeastern states, though no specific states were mentioned in the recall announcement. It affects the following products:

Coca-Cola 12-pack Fridge Pack, 12-oz. cans with the Date Codes "AUG 1522 WM B" and "AUG 1522 WM C"

Sprite 12-pack Fridge Pack, 12-oz. cans with the Date Code "AUG 1522 WM B"

Minute Maid Recall

Coca-Cola announced the Minute Maid recall on December 10, and according to Food Safety News, affected products were distributed in these states: Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina and Virginia. The cartons may contain metal bolts or washers, and the recall affects more than 7,000 cases. The following drinks have been named in the recall:

Minute Maid Berry Punch, 59-fl. oz. (1.8-qt.) cartons with the Date Codes "Jan0422 NP" and "Jan0522 NP" and Batch Numbers "0010323455" and "0010259344"

Minute Maid Strawberry Lemonade, 59-fl. oz.(1.8-qt.) cartons with the Date Code "Jan0322 NP" and Batch Number "0010259346"

Minute Maid Fruit Punch, 59-fl. oz.(1.8-qt.) cartons with the Date Code "JAN0522 NP" and Batch Number "0010323454"

What Do I Do If I Have a Recalled Beverage?

If you've purchased any of the affected Coca-Cola products, you should immediately throw them out or return them to the place of purchase for a refund. Under no circumstances should you drink any of the affected products.

(edited)

Some varieties of Skippy peanut butter are being recalled because "a limited number of jars may contain a small fragment of stainless steel from a piece of manufacturing equipment".

SKIPPY® Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter, 40oz (Best if Used By MAY0423 and Best if Used By MAY0523)

SKIPPY® Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter – Club, 2/40oz (Best if Used By MAY0523)

SKIPPY® Reduced Fat Chunky Peanut Butter, 16.3oz (Best if Used By MAY0623 and Best if Used By MAY0723)

SKIPPY® Creamy Peanut Butter Blended With Plant Protein, 14oz (Best if Used By MAY1023)

Edited by Bastet

The FDA has shared this company announcement: Scenic Fruit Company Recalls Frozen Organic Strawberries and Frozen Organic Tropical Blend Because of Possible Health Risk

Scenic Fruit Company of Gresham, Oregon is recalling frozen organic strawberries sold to Costco, Aldi, KeHE, Vital Choice Seafood, PCC Community Markets and frozen organic tropical blend sold to Trader Joe’s due to an outbreak of Hepatitis A illnesses.
Although Hepatitis A has not been detected on this product, out of an abundance of caution, consumers should stop consuming the product and return it to their local store for a refund. The company has ceased the production and distribution of the product as FDA and the company continue their investigation as to what caused the problem.

Thanks to @SuprSuprElevated for the heads up in another thread.

• Useful 1

Courtesy of a heads-up by @SuprSuprElevated in another thread: Gold Medal flour recall

MINNEAPOLIS (April 28, 2023) – General Mills today announced a voluntary national recall of two-, five- and 10-pound bags of its Gold Medal Unbleached and Bleached All Purpose Flour with a “better if used by” date of March 27, 2024, and March 28, 2024. The recall is being issued for the potential presence of Salmonella Infantis,which was discovered during sampling of the five-pound bag product.

This recall affects two date codes of Gold Medal Unbleached All Purpose Flour in the five- and ten pound bags and two date codes of Gold Medal Bleached All Purpose Flour in the two- and five-pound bags. All other types of Gold Medal Flour are not affected by this recall.

Consumers are asked to check their pantries and dispose of the product affected by this recall. Consumers who have had to discard products covered by this recall may contact General Mills Consumer Relations at 1-800-230-8103.

See the link for UPC info.

Edited by Bastet