Type keyword(s) to search

S14.09: The Newest Star

• Start Topic

The pilots are in, and Giada De Laurentiis and Bobby Flay determine the fates of the three finalists. Watch what happens behind the scenes and find out who will join the Food Network family and become a Food Network Star!

Lame ending to a lame season.

Give Manny a show traveling around the country visiting first responders and feature what they cook for the crew.

Really.... really.... lame. I will not watch Christian dressed in rags, nor Jess working her jaw from side to side.

• Love 14

A tie? How on earth can you have a tie on this show?

I can’t imagine how crappy Manny feels. Not only did he come in third, he came in third to a “tie” between those two.

I actually don’t mind Christian all that much, but Jess comes across like the host of one of those “lifestyle” shows like First Look. Bleh.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, cooksdelight said:

Give Manny a show traveling around the country visiting first responders and feature what they cook for the crew.

Really.... really.... lame. I will not watch Christian dressed in rags, nor Jess working her jaw from side to side.

Does a tie but doesn’t include Manny. Though his pilot was kinda weak.

• Love 1

Ugh. I feel cheated.  While it wasn't great, I thought Manny's pilot was the best. Christian took over and did all of the cooking, while Antonia just stood there. Jess pretty much did the same, but made the little giggly comments, "I had a spa treatment like this once. It cost $200."  "I'm getting intimate with the cauliflower." I can't believe Robert Irvine let that pass.

It doesn't matter. I never watch Guy's Grocery Games or read FN Magazine. Maybe the plan is to have Jess write articles for that or something. 

• Love 12

Manny is the most naturally likable out of the bunch, but his pilot was terrible. Every 6 words he would pause as if waiting for a new cue card. He also had some big mistakes in the prior rounds so I can't feel he was robbed.

Christian continued to look like a slob even in a suit. One button undone is enough thanks, even if wearing clothes that fit so you can tuck in your shirt is out of the question.

Jess hasn't been that likable, but she did a good pilot. Also I'd been thinking that they've never had "Star Salvation" or "Comeback Kitchen" matter, and now it has. Box checked.

So I guess the network has two more people they won't use. Congrats?

• Love 4

Well that ending stank!  A tie between those two? And they sent Manny home in 3rd place??

The comment by Anne Burrell about all of those teeth was a highlight of an otherwise lackluster finale.

• Love 10

What a boring evening! None of the pilots were interesting...at all so I guess I shouldn't mind that it was a tie...in fact, why not a three way tie where no one gets a show!

The one good thing to come out of tonight was that I didn't miss Eddie's summer fill in show Ultimate Summer Cookoff...and who is one of the chef's? Leanne of Top Chef fame!!!!!!!! This must have been a "left over" since they kept telling us it was the beginning of the summer season! Now this was a fun show!

Edited to add that Christian still looked like an unmade bed even in a sports jacket!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 8

It seems a cop-out to have co-winners and I agree with the others that said the way this was set up - having co-winners out of a group of three - seemed unnecessarily rude to Manny.

Interesting that Palak and Adam both had their one comment of the night be about how [Insert Contestant Name] could cook/was an authority on food and not about any of the personality/story shtick Bobby and Giada are so wedded to.

Maybe it was the camera or the lighting, but all of the eliminated contestants looked sunburned and/or oily, and it cracked me up that the contestants that made it further into the competition got the good section across from Bobby/Giada and the ones eliminated early (Yummy Yummy Boy, Rebakah, Samone, etc) got delegated to the far right. 

• Love 1

Dang. I did not expect that. What a total copout. I wasn't a fan of any of them, but enjoyed Manny the most. Jess's "pilot" felt really awkward. I mean, there's no point to FNS anymore, with them not actually getting shows, but...Food Network has managed to sink to a new low in a completely unexpected way.

• Love 13

Are there no other ideas for shows beyond Diners Drive-ins and Dives? Why can’t FN think of anything else for these people to do? All of their pilot “ideas” already exist and are unneeded.

• Love 8

Welp, that was certainly weird.  The weakest season ever and they pick TWO of them to win?  That just makes no sense at all!  Like I can understand it being a tough choice because neither of them is all that great but to end up making both the winners is not the solution, in my opinion.  I guess they need new judges on "Chopped" or something.

I thought Christian's pilot was the best of the three but I'm sort of lukewarm on him, the unmade bed and all.  I guess Giada finally got her "paesan" winner.  Every season it seems there's some Italian or Italian American guy in the running but one has never won until now.  

Best line all night for me was Giada kidding Bobby that he "gives her nothing".  Like just what exactly is she suggesting?  She makes herself look like she's hot to trot for him or something, and she's done this before.  I'm not sure she should really want to give that impression.

• Love 7

Next season, it’s another first: Oprah joins them for the finale. “You get a show! And you get a show! And you get a show!”

(Not that Oprah would ever come on this show. And not that they get a show. But you know what I mean.)

• Love 13

I would have preferred them saying "we decided that none of you fulfill the requirements of being a FNS so we're scrapping this season".  I'm just bitter because the only reason I tuned in was to see Jess eliminated for the second time.  While neither were spectacular, I thought both Manny and Christian were more watchable.

• Love 10

Had a good laugh earlier today. I happened to catch the show Girl Meets Farm. After trying her potstickers, all she had to say was, "Dad will like them." I thought of how the FNS contestants had to jump through hoops describing their food and wondered how this host got herself a show lacking such a major skill. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Call me shallow, but Harrison is the only one I’d watch on TV. He could stand there and read the phone book....

You're shallow. ;>

• Love 4

Out takes of Bobby and Giada flirting, really?  REALLY? Jesus. 

Terrible season.  I do agree that both finalists had the decent pilots. Manny, no.

I have to assume that head of cauliflower was meant to serve family style.  It had to be bland, there is no way to even salt the interior. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Wings said:

Out takes of Bobby and Giada flirting, really?  REALLY? Jesus. 

Hasn't that been the prevailing theme of the outtakes for the past few years, though? I'm not sure if that says more about the quality of the show and its contestants or whether they are trying to out some Bobby/Giada affair.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Wings said:

I have to assume that head of cauliflower was meant to serve family style.  It had to be bland, there is no way to even salt the interior. 

I frequently do cauliflower that way, roast the full head, and it doesn’t come out bland at all. Though my favorite is when you cook it and baste it on a marinara sauce. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

While I don’t want the network to exploit natural disasters, I think it could be nifty to have specials hosted by Manny that highlight the various organizations that come together to serve food to responders and evacuees. And if Food Network kicks in some money for it, even better! 

• Love 6

Boo.  Hiss.  I have no desire to watch Christian or Jess in anything.

And FN wardrobe coordinators - the cold shoulder look has already gone the way of huge padded 80s shoulders.  You're dating yourselves.

Y'all beat me to the evening's sole saving grace - Anne's snark at Giada's teeth.  Brava!

At least I tuned in early enough to see my boyfriend Eddie's show that I didn't even know was on.  Now that's a Food Network Star.

• Love 5

What an absolutely senseless ending!!!  Manny dropped FIRST???  He had so much personality and good cooking ability.  Dropped flat.  Mean!  Then, to make a tie between Chris and Jess was too much for me.  Since when is Jess anywhere near as talented as Chris?  She walks, talks and dresses like a runway model and bares her teeth as frequently as Giada does.  Chris, on the other hand, is everybody's next-door neighbor.  Not a pretense in sight.  If it had to be a tie, I wish it had been Manny and Chris.  Send Jess back to her "noveling."

Edited by Lura
deletion
  • Love 12

So I probably liked Jess the most but I think I thought Manny's pilot was the best mainly because he interacted the best with the chef he worked with.  Either that or I have faulty memories.  I know Christian barely let Antonia speak and Jess made awkward interjections to show off her food knowledge that would have made more sense when she tasted. 

• Love 7

Jess? JESS??? How did she win anything? I thought her pilot was terrible, if there had to be a tie, I would have had Manny & Christian, but really, why a tie at all?

5 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Remember in the old days of FNS the family of the winner would be backstage?

When they were announcing the winner, I was wondering about what happened to the audience they used to have.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Boo.  Hiss.  I have no desire to watch Christian or Jess in anything.

And FN wardrobe coordinators - the cold shoulder look has already gone the way of huge padded 80s shoulders.  You're dating yourselves.

Y'all beat me to the evening's sole saving grace - Anne's snark at Giada's teeth.  Brava!

At least I tuned in early enough to see my boyfriend Eddie's show that I didn't even know was on.  Now that's a Food Network Star.

We are on the same fashion wavelength. I’m more than over the cold shoulder trend. Especially when giant puffy sleeves are involved.

At least we don’t need to focus on Jess’s giant button neck anymore.

• Love 2

What the hell.. a whole season building up to a TIE,and the one with the most potential dropped first..?

Maybe Manny will have a show on Cooking Channel..or better yet,Jon Taffer if your'e reading this,hire Manny as your newest kitchen expert for Bar Rescue! i mean you already have Aaron McCargo(sp),Vic Vegas and She Who Shall Not Be Named,it wont hurt to have another FNS runner up

When does the new season of The Best Thing I Evar Ate premiere on CC..cause thats where im sure ill see Christian and Jess first

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GaT said:

Jess? JESS??? How did she win anything? I thought her pilot was terrible, if there had to be a tie, I would have had Manny & Christian, but really, why a tie at all?

When they were announcing the winner, I was wondering about what happened to the audience they used to have.

The "announcement" of the winner--Christian and Jess did not seem at all surprised and to me it was very "scripted."  I don't think it was a surprise at all to them.  Manny--maybe.  

From an audience standpoint--Jess' hair getting in her face and her lipstick needs addressing.

Christian did convince me he could cook.  I think the every day person would try his recipes (if he ever really does any).  

Their FN pilot may be the closest thing to a show they ever get.

I hate cold shoulder clothes, especially on anyone over 18.

• Love 4

Omg, I cringed the entire show and watched it the way I’d watch a burning building.  They were all awful.  The comments about the food they tasted are so forced and insincere and they’re all so awkward and not at all photogenic...no one brings anything even remotely interesting to the table.  It is now officially the Food Gameshow Network with horrible reality hosts instead of chefs with creds.  

• Love 8

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

..... Just had to get that out.  

I absolutely enjoyed Manny's pilot most of the three.  He genuinely interacted with the chef throughout, adding in "food authority" comments when appropriate and demonstrating humor and personality as well.  Christian the Slob did all of the talking, and none of it was informative, interesting or remotely charming.  Jess the Phony did the same shit she's been doing since Week 1, highlighting herself via scripted bites ("Well, my mother is from Madagascar and my father is from China.".....REALLY?  HAD NO IDEA!).  Giada's....er, observation...that Jess had "grown so much" over the course of the season was probably my most hate-worthy moment of an altogether loathsome night.  

• Love 12
2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

The "announcement" of the winner--Christian and Jess did not seem at all surprised and to me it was very "scripted."

It is. How do I know? A good friend who is a professional actress (SAG/AFTRA) was part of a fake focus group who were told who to pick as the winner back in season 6. It was all fake, they were told  Aarti was the chosen one. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I detest Ann but I have to give her kudos for her comment about Giada’s teeth. 

Jess has to stop touching her hair.  The habit of constantly tucking her long side behind her ear is distracting.  And this goes for all who do this whether you are around food or not. 

Edited by Wings
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

Just finished watching Manny get eliminated so I came over here to see who won.  I can't believe I wasted my time watching this season & needless to say I deleted my DVR without seeing the "co-winner" announcement.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, spiderpig said:

At least I tuned in early enough to see my boyfriend Eddie's show that I didn't even know was on.  Now that's a Food Network Sta

Let's go poly on that one ... losing on Masterchef was the best thing that could have happened to him. Does anyone know who ANY of the former winners of Masterchef were? Now my TV boyfriend has an awesome second career thanks to FNS, maybe one of the few who does. 

Red Robin, I also tuned out after Manny was eliminated and just came here to see who won, after hitting the red delete button when Manny was sent packing. Cannot stand EITHER "winner" ... can't listen to Chris? Christian? I need a second cup of coffee, he's that forgettable for me -- and can't watch Jess. They'll be one-and-dones. Manny, meanwhile, will be able to return to an awesome job and be a local celebrity (I hope) and enjoy life! Hopefully they'll realize the error of their ways and bring him back for the occasional appearance, ideally on burger shows. 

PS I think the reason he kept pausing was he was overthinking the "don't talk to fast, make sure people understand what I'm saying."

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
Because I can't remember if it's Chris, Christian, or Christopher. He's that forgettable.
  • Love 4