Type keyword(s) to search

S14.08: Who Gets a Pilot?

• Start Topic

(edited)

I watched the condensed Star Salvation and I don't think it was quite fair that Jess won simply because she was able to walk and chew gum at the same time, especially after the way she bungled the ooey-gooey money shot challenge.

I rubbed my hands with glee when Jess walked into shoot her pilot and there was Robert Irvine. Mister, you had one job to do!  The one time where I was begging for him to be a loud bombastic asshole, he let me down. LOL! 

It doesn't matter because I don't think Jess will win. The winner doesn't get a show anyway and now FN has a show with Molly Yeh, which I assume is targeted towards the millennial food blogger crowd.

I never liked Christian at all but every year, they need a disheveled slob type, so I guess he met the quota. Since Christian has already been a judge on Chopped and possibly other shows, what's in it for him if he wins?

I guess I would watch a show with Manny. Doing a traveling show to visit with firehouse chefs might be interesting for a short period of time before it turned into "Triple D."

Edited by CharlizeCat
  • Love 5

I smell malarkey re Palak, Christian, and the egg-less meatballs. We clearly saw Palak open a container of eggs. I noticed because it was a bizarre way to store eggs--they were in a tall, skinny, clear plastic container like the ones you use to take soup home from a Thai restaurant. I remember thinking no one would ever store eggs like that. But she was definitely opening it and getting eggs out, and then a few minutes later, he's freaking out because he doesn't see any cracked eggshells at their station. 

Or I guess I WOULD smell malarkey, but I have no idea what all this adds up to. It's just weird!

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

It doesn't matter because I don't think Jess will win. The winner doesn't get a show anyway and now FN has a show with Molly Yeh, which I assume is targeted towards the millennial food blogger crowd.

Since there is no show in play any more, seems like time for FN to offer a cash prize.  But seeing as it's cheap-ass FN, I wouldn't be surprised if applicants are charged entrance fees.  Really, what exactly is the incentive for these people to put themselves through this?

And given that 100% of the finale is watching them talking about other people's food instead of their own, why exactly are they supposed to know how to cook?

Millennial food blogger crowd.  I say that with the same enthusiasm as I say root canal work and menstrual cramps.

• Love 13

I was not really impressed/wowed by any of their "pilots".  All I can think is that in the past, the contestants actually had to cook and instruct.  Now they all visit a restaurant and tell us how something tastes.

• Love 5

I have liked Chris all along, not because of what he wears, but because of his seeming natural.  He is what he is, and I find him entertaining.  I wish he were still in the running.

I could take or leave Jess, but probably leave her.  Her food choices, while maybe tasty, don't interest me, and therefore, I wouldn't watch a show with her.

That leaves Manny.  Manny is an imp, but I think he's real.  He's not always funny and isn't afraid to show his emotions.  I liked Charlize Cat's idea of a show featuring firehouse chefs.  Many of them are outstanding cooks.  I'll be very surprised if anyone but Manny wins this season.  But what will the winner have to show for it?  A certificate?  An autographed picture of Giada?

• Love 6
(edited)

I miss the years when they had to demo on the Rachael Ray show. Not that I miss Rach one bit (actually, I can't stand her), but that was a real test of the contestsnts' mettle. Of course, a show of their own was still on the line then. Now, scoping out a pre-determined restaurant mimics the skill set they'll need as a future FN "Star." All they'll be required to do is explain what they like, or don't,  about slop put in front of them on GGG or Chopped. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5
(edited)

Christian seems to know HIS food, if you know what I mean.  He was thrown during the Thai challenge.  But, he has energy and seems fun.  The only real downside is he needs to clean up.

Jess doesn't aggrivate me as much as she does some other people but I would never tune in to watch her.  It's true, she doesn't feel authentic.

Manny is my winner.  I like him.  I like the food he cooks, even if it is food I can make without watching him demo it on a show.  Bacon jam yummy, but I could make it without his help.

I've watched FN forever.  Since the Melting Pot and Cooking Live days.  It's changed dramatically.  I don't think any of these "tips" they are riding these people so hard to give are new or fresh.  I know to peel ginger with a spoon, heard it for years (even though I am not a fan of fresh ginger and just recently used that tip for the first time).  I know to tent a skillet with foil if I want something steamed.  I've seen the lid of Dutch oven and pots  used to bake on.  These are not new to anyone who has cooked regularly or watched FN for more than a week.  If they are going to insist the contestants give tips, make them give us new tips.

Finally, Amy.  Glad to see her go.  Couldn't stand her last season, during star salvation, or this season. And then she chose to show her butt last week and act like a toddler.  Is it just me or did she not render her duck fat? I am not a fan of duck and have never cooked it at home, but that ring of fat on the duck in her salad looked bright white and really thick, like no rendering had been done.  Didn't look appetizing, but, like I said, I dislike duck.

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 6

I guess I would watch a show with Manny. Doing a traveling show to visit with firehouse chefs might be interesting for a short period of time before it turned into "Triple D."

I'd watch that because I like Manny.  I suppose any traveling and visiting show would be a lot like Triple D in format but I suspect the "feel" of a firehouse show would be quite different because Manny IS a fire fighter so he'd have that bond going in.  

Both Manny and Christian come across as "real" people, no fake smiles or airs.  Jess does not.  I like Christian but he doesn't seem like the brightest guy I've ever seen and he's too sloppy to be appealing.  Manny OTOH seems intelligent to me and he's listened and learned all through the experience.  That ought to count.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, bluepiano said:

That's what has me confused. Amy screwed up a lot of challenges this season but always skated by. Then, she clearly does better than Christian and gets eliminated. It feels like something happened to make TPTB sour on Amy. Could the reason be the social media post that got discussed on this forum? Did they decide after Lenny they couldn't afford another social media loose cannon?

In last week's episode there were several clips of Amy banging and slamming things and letting her anger and frustration out a little too freely, plus it was obvious that she was getting a little too into her own head probably as a result of the pressure of the competition.  My guess is that didn't look good to the judges and is one of the reasons for Giada's comment that she needed to do "inner work" or whatever it was she said.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Amarsir said:
14 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

I remember that Tregaye won, but I don’t remember that she was a good cook.   Does anyone else remember?

I remember she made a bread pudding that Bobby & Giada thought was the most amazing thing anyone has ever cooked.

Oh yeah, I remember that!  Didn't she put everything in it but the kitchen sink?  I remember thinking it looked like a hot mess and I was sure it couldn't be anywhere near as great as the judges said it was.

4 hours ago, rejnel said:

I smell malarkey re Palak, Christian, and the egg-less meatballs. We clearly saw Palak open a container of eggs. I noticed because it was a bizarre way to store eggs--they were in a tall, skinny, clear plastic container like the ones you use to take soup home from a Thai restaurant. I remember thinking no one would ever store eggs like that. But she was definitely opening it and getting eggs out, and then a few minutes later, he's freaking out because he doesn't see any cracked eggshells at their station. 

Or I guess I WOULD smell malarkey, but I have no idea what all this adds up to. It's just weird!

I thought the cameras focused on a bowl with eggs in it hidden away like they forgot about it, unless it was something else.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

thought the cameras focused on a bowl with eggs in it hidden away like they forgot about it, unless it was something else.

We definitely see Palak open the tall plastic container with brown eggs. Though they do show some shots of them actually making the meatballs they don’t appear to be mixing in eggs and look pretty dry. It’s also entirely possible given the choppy editing of this show the clip of Palak opening the cointaer is from when they were making the second batch.

So now that we have Food Network’s formula for their hosts re tasting and exclaiming over the food, we know how insincere and ridiculous it is so how can we trust any FN host?  And really, that’s all they are now.  Hosts, not chefs with creds.  When I see Katie Lee or Sunny or Ree or Jason as judges, I cringe.  The food network is now the Food Gameshow Network replete with 10 year old cupcake war reruns all day and Guy Fieri at least four days/nights a week.  Blech.  And yeah, I guess it’s Christian but who cares.  Are there any real cooking shows left?

• Love 6

I cannot believe the number of challenges that revolve around “social media is changing the way we view food” bend.  Food network has to be the most archaic example of a network leveraging social media!

i also have to laugh at the importance of “the bite” in this episode.  Watching Giada use her shark teeth to rip 8 molecules of food off a fork is the most unappetizing shot of any episode.  I can see her teeth dragging on the metal tines.  It’s worse than nails on a chalkboard.  She makes everything super unappetizing!

I like Manny because he seems wholesome and fun.  I still think HaYaDoin is going to win though.

Manny makes me wonder if in every shoot he is a Ree Thompson or James Hawk away from a gaffe in public.  FN does a lot of food fests and live demos and I’d be afraid he would really get someone’s name wrong.  

• Love 5

Why even go through  the farce of having them submit a pilot for a show that will never happen? Just ask them to judge an episode of Guy's stupid show see who does it best.  Bingo! We have a winner!

As far as Amy being eliminated, I think it should have happened sooner than it did.  I hate this trend in competition shows to bring back former contestants - they all do it now.  The returning contestant clearly has a big advantage over the other contestants because he/she has already been through the process once.  So, I think the returning contestant should be held to a higher standard and the judges should be tougher on that person.  So, yeah, Amy should have been gone weeks ago.

If the winner was truly going to get a show, I'd go with Manny because I think his show might be interesting.  But since that's not going to  happen, it doesn't matter.

5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Even their website blows. 

Amen!

• Love 3
On 7/30/2018 at 8:16 PM, CharlizeCat said:

Doing a traveling show to visit with firehouse chefs might be interesting for a short period of time

I think this has a lot of potential, especially if they keep it to a reasonably small run ... it would, if nothing else, be something somewhat unique and focus on some true local heroes (who are also generally quite easy on the eyes LOL) ... a look inside firehouse culture and cooking and their jobs. And I find Manny very likable and maybe once he's got this thing won he will relax a little and enjoy the moment!

• Love 4

I agree. I'd want to see it be "real" though.  I would like to see a variety of situations because I don't believe that every firehouse has a huge restaurant type kitchen fully stocked with foods to prepare group gourmet meals all the time.

Some of the KCMO FD shop at the same grocery store that I do. It's always fun to watch because often, a group of about six go in at a time.  Some of them shop as a group and you can tell they're stocking up the station for some major good eats. Other times, each guy (sorry, 99.9% of the time they are men) take individual carts or handbaskets and look like they are shopping for themselves.

I've love to see Manny do an in-depth from meal planning to shopping to actually meal prep and dining and how it really works.  As another person wisely pointed out, I'm sure there has to be some nutritional boundaries. Otherwise, the whole crew would be too overweight and out of shape to undertake the rigorous demands of the job, not to mention, pose for calendars!

Fall/winter would be the perfect time for a launch for chili, short ribs, stews, etc.

• Love 4

Since it’s already been filmed, it’s too late to holler at FN to make a firehouse chef thing happen, but let them know. Might happen later on, it would be a very good show, interesting, and showcasing first responders.

• Love 4

Back in the days of "Next Food Network Star," when there was some chance of the winner actually getting a show, the producers really put some thought and effort into producing "pilots" that were all different, reflected the personality and "culinary POV" of the finalist, and could potentially be a real show. Now that they know that we know that they know no one's getting a show, they're barely going through the motions. Every "pilot" is exactly the same. Go to a restaurant, eat something, and talk about it. It's really just another challenge, just slightly jazzed up with some locations shooting.

Since this show continues to get high ratings, no matter how bad it is, FN seems to have cynically decided that the "pilots" can be a complete farce. Like the rest of the season.

As the only skill that a future winner might need is describing food, as opposed to actually cooking, you would think that people who write about food would have a huge edge. But none of the food bloggers, or this year's "food novelist," have ever impressived me with their descriptive powers.

What does it take to be a food blogger anyway? Basically, an internet connection and lots of spare times. Funny how I never hear these bloggers talk about their following. Is a blog a blog if no one reads it?

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 8
19 hours ago, bluepiano said:

What does it take to be a food blogger anyway? Basically, an internet connection and lots of spare times. Funny how I never hear these bloggers talk about their following. Is a blog a blog if no one reads it?

So much this.

• Love 2
On 8/1/2018 at 4:23 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I think this has a lot of potential, especially if they keep it to a reasonably small run ... it would, if nothing else, be something somewhat unique and focus on some true local heroes (who are also generally quite easy on the eyes LOL) ... a look inside firehouse culture and cooking and their jobs. And I find Manny very likable and maybe once he's got this thing won he will relax a little and enjoy the moment!

Most fire stations do not look like a calendar shoot, lol.  There typically is maybe one or two guys in the smaller departments that look like that.  It's a total bummer at the annual get-together's when they don't all look like that! 

On 8/1/2018 at 5:12 PM, CharlizeCat said:

I agree. I'd want to see it be "real" though.  I would like to see a variety of situations because I don't believe that every firehouse has a huge restaurant type kitchen fully stocked with foods to prepare group gourmet meals all the time.

This is true of some of the smaller departments.  Too small, and they only have call departments so no one is cooking there anyway.  

On 8/1/2018 at 5:15 PM, cooksdelight said:

Since it’s already been filmed, it’s too late to holler at FN to make a firehouse chef thing happen, but let them know. Might happen later on, it would be a very good show, interesting, and showcasing first responders.

My husband would probably watch this.  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

My husband would probably watch this.

I would too!! I told Food Network on their FB page they should let Manny have a show that features different first responders in the firehouse cooking up a storm. Think of the possibilities if they get a call right in the middle of trying to get dinner ready.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I would too!! I told Food Network on their FB page they should let Manny have a show that features different first responders in the firehouse cooking up a storm. Think of the possibilities if they get a call right in the middle of trying to get dinner ready.

It happens all the time!  My husband is a really good cook.  Most of the time, each shift they all pitch in money for a meal (usually dinner.  They work 24-hour shifts, but will either eat leftovers from their last shift, bring in food or just go grab a sandwich across the street or something for lunch), they'll take one of the trucks to the grocery store, get the ingredients and then cook a really amazing meal.  I tell my husband all the time that I'm jealous he doesn't cook the same amazing things at home.  They'll do real BBQ sometimes, amazing tacos with aioli sauces, the whole kit and kaboodle.  They cook real food that's really good!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Ok. So I cook my meals for the week on Sunday. I take pictures and post on Facebook what I make. Apparently I am Food Network-worthy. Look for me as a judge on Triple G soon! I guess I an qualified, no?

No judging for you, you're qualified to go straight to having a show.  Do not pass FNS, do not collect humiliation.

• Love 5

I don't know why they're pretending that anyone has a chance against Christian.

I honestly think I have tuned in to at least some of the episodes since this competition started. The only people that I can remember liking was fit Chef Eddie, the party hardy boys or something like that.  

Most of the time the people that I like getting eliminated in favor of more dramatic contestants or those that were not quite interesting.

Other than guy I can remember very little of any shows that people had nor being excited about any of the actual winners.

I never thought I would admit missing Kermit and Medusa, but I do. Now I mostly hate watch to complain about the ridiculous meaningless challenges when they've already clearly chosen their the winner and whomever the judges are.

I agree about their website being terrible I'm not into Twitter and Instagram so I don't know about that but I would imagine those are just as poorly designed.

I cannot believe that I mentioned the fleekywoman and then she showed up. Just another example of why the show is comical.

The year that Guy won I actually liked the runner-up better Reggie somebody. I always wondered what happened to him. If he had been on a few seasons later he would have been one of the runners-up that maybe got another show on the Cooking Channel or something.  I always expected to see him show up with his own baking show but he seems to have disappeared.

I don't know what year he was on but I did like the Jeffrey guy and I noticed  that anyone that comes come on who wants to do healthy or vegetarian never wins.

On 7/29/2018 at 8:41 PM, cooksdelight said:

I don’t like any of these people, nor would I watch them on TV.

Is that wrong?

At least Tregaye didn’t say something was on fleek. Did she? 

See how closely I was paying attention?

Jess is my last choice to get a second chance. Give me someone I can watch without worrying their jaw is going to come loose.

One of my guilty pleasures is game shows. Unfortunately I msnagef to watch an episode of to tell the truth and they actually had the person on there who created that horrible phrase. She was just about as you would have expected someone who could create on fleek to be. The whole time I just sat there thinking to myself ...and you're actually proud of this?

On 7/29/2018 at 11:12 PM, LittleIggy said:

When he says that, it reminds me of the guy from Louisiana on FNS whose catch phrase was “How ya durrin.” I think he was the road chef for a band.

Is that it? I know that I've heard on TV before but I keep thinking it's from a old sitcom from like the neighbor who used to show up or something. All I know is that however he says it the tone ,the rate,or pitch something is very creepy to me and it makes me think of the inappropriate boss or uncle or somebody who always pops up and makes you feel uncomfortable. 

It is not endearing although I do think he comes across as very mellow and unassuming. 

to be fair to him he can definitely be dressed up and made to look less sloppy so they know they can work with that.