Type keyword(s) to search

Movies Based on Real People

• Start Topic

On 11/6/2018 at 2:46 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I would be shocked if a Nirvana biopic ever happens. The rights to that music seems to be in flux. I believe Courtney Love finally lost the death grip, but it seems like a really thorny topic and I believe Nirvana songs are still notoriously hard to license.

I actually hope they don't do one. I feel like it would not turn out good.

I saw two movies in the past week based on real people. The first one was Alpha Dog, based on the Nicholas Markowitz case. My husband always told me this was such a good movie and that I would love it, and I agree. Anton Yelchin's performance was great, and even Justin Timberlake has a lot of acting talent.

Spoiler

Honestly it had one of the most gutting and "mood whiplash" endings of any movie I've ever seen, especially because you know an innocent kid actually got murdered in real life and the effect it had on his family. It's all just so dumb and pointless that any of this happened. When Justin Timberlake's character is told that they're going to kill Zack, and he goes back into the living room where Zack is and just starts watching TV with him again as if nothing happened, I was just about yelling at the screen to take him and GTFO and go to the police station, NOW. But of course he was too much of a pussy to do that and instead allowed him to get brutally murdered to save his own ass, which didn't end up being saved in the end anyway. It's really wrenching for a movie to build up a character as a protagonist who you are supposed to relate to and sympathize with, and then suddenly pull it away and show that when shit goes down, he was just as much of a piece of garbage as any of his scumbag friends. Which is what he also realized about himself.

The second movie I saw was Into The Wild. I've always been in the "Chris McCandless was an idiot and I don't know why anyone idolizes him" camp, but I will say that the movie was very well done and very moving. In particular, the scene where he fails at properly butchering a moose was really well done, although gross. The movie did improve my opinion of him in some ways. Like I didn't know he was abused by his dad and I feel like that explains a lot of why he did what he did. I actually never read the book although I read a lot of articles about him, but now I want to read the book. I can also really relate to that he had to get out of society after going to an elite college, because I felt the exact same way after going to a similar college, like four years of my life (plus the time in high school I spent preparing to get into this college) were down the toilet. Going there is the biggest regret of my life even though it was supposed to be a great opportunity and all. I read this book/zine called Evasion in college and I wanted to do the same thing of hitchhiking and hopping freight trains, but I never did. Chris McCandless was lucky that he was a guy because a woman on her own would have been raped and murdered many times over, which is why I never did it.

This is a Into The Wild-esque story but with an old guy who decided to spend his life canoeing around everywhere instead of a young guy, and I think it would make a great movie also. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/12/14/the-wayfarer

This is kind of weird but ever since I read this article about this lady who developed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and ended up being a bestselling author despite severe illness, I felt like this could make an interesting movie. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2003/07/07/a-sudden-illness

I think I read that this story about a nice old couple who figured out how to game the lottery system is actually being made into a movie, and if so I'm excited to see it. I feel like half the movies that come out are based on articles I read on longform.org already. https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/lotto-winners/

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

I actually hope they don't do one. I feel like it would not turn out good.

Honestly, I'm not sure I really want to watch one, either. Heroin addiction isn't really that entertaining to watch. I also think most of the drama is going to have to surround Courtney Love, and I'm pretty sure she isn't going to give any kind of blessing to be portrayed in a negative light.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Honestly, I'm not sure I really want to watch one, either. Heroin addiction isn't really that entertaining to watch. I also think most of the drama is going to have to surround Courtney Love, and I'm pretty sure she isn't going to give any kind of blessing to be portrayed in a negative light.

Well Kurt was a lot more than just an addict (most addicts in general have more going on in their daily lives than just addiction, although Hollywood doesn't seem to get that). But it seems like most biopics of musicians end up being bad. I'm not sure who they could get to convincingly play him, and whoever it was would have to be a not well known actor, I think. They probably would also focus more on the fame part of his life rather than the underground part, when he himself was not really into fame. The real Nirvana is more Incesticide than Nevermind. Plus Kurt himself probably would have thought a biopic of his life was ridiculous.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

But it seems like most biopics of musicians end up being bad. I'm not sure who they could get to convincingly play him, and whoever it was would have to be a not well known actor, I think. They probably would also focus more on the fame part of his life rather than the underground part, when he himself was not really into fame. The real Nirvana is more Incesticide than Nevermind. Plus Kurt himself probably would have thought a biopic of his life was ridiculous.

I think the problem is that most biopics either want to treat their topic like a saint, or they want to be "gritty" and "real" without much in the way of real entertainment. You have to have express permission from the musician and/or the people who own their estate, and if you don't have any cooperation, things can get thorny. It gets even more complicated with bands.

• Love 4
On 12/12/2018 at 9:37 PM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Well Kurt was a lot more than just an addict (most addicts in general have more going on in their daily lives than just addiction, although Hollywood doesn't seem to get that). But it seems like most biopics of musicians end up being bad. I'm not sure who they could get to convincingly play him, and whoever it was would have to be a not well known actor, I think. They probably would also focus more on the fame part of his life rather than the underground part, when he himself was not really into fame. The real Nirvana is more Incesticide than Nevermind. Plus Kurt himself probably would have thought a biopic of his life was ridiculous.

This guy would make a good Cobain. I saw him back in October as Jud Fry in Oklahoma!. I thought he was a bit too physically slight to play a tough farm hand, but he looks enough like Cobain, can sing, and isn't so familiar that everyone would say, "There's Patrick!"

I have fancast Jimmy Tatro from American Vandal so hard as Billy McFarland in whatever inevitable movie biopic happens about Fyre Fest that I know I'm going to be really disappointed in whatever A/B-list twentysomething/thirtysomething actor they chose.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:28 PM, methodwriter85 said:

They're really cagey about that one. He probably did but he doesn't really want to talk about it.

I thought it was also pretty fucked up how they dumped Warren Cuccurullo for the "Fab Five" reunion after he had spent 15 years with the band.

I do think if I were to do write a Duran Duran biopic, I'd start with the founding in 1978 and end with early 1987, when they're down to 3 guys but determined to keep going. Three to Get Ready really is actually a very good documentary because even though these guys had a recent number 1 with "Notorious" they were very acutely aware that they were slipping into irrelevance, especially John. There's a great scene where Nick talks about how awesome this U2 single is (likely "With or Without You") and John gets pissy about him saying that because U2 was soaring at that time and they were crashing back down to Earth.

I'm still kind of shocked there aren't any biopics on Fleetwood Mac or Heart.

I think if there was a Duran Duran biopic and it's a big if, I think Freddie Highmore should play Nick Rhodes. Freddie is such a dedicated performer that he would probably give Nick justice. Also, Harry Styles was a big DD fan, so I could see him as John Taylor. I think a DD film would be cool. It just won't happen, unfortunately.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Has there ever been a biography on Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship? Now that is drama! 

Agree but I'm not sure the surviving members would all agree to it or sign off on it- as each single one has a very different POV re what 'really' happened much like plane crash witnesses! 

To bring/keep this ontopic, while there WAS a Real Life Von Trapp family whose matriarch Maria wrote a very sanitized bio of which became  a    saccharine albeit entertaining play then movie called Sound of Music, so much got changed that not only was there no romance between the eldest child and a young telegram deliverer turned NAZI who ratted them out but the Baron's eldest child was NOT a 16-year-old girl named Liesl but a 27-year-old man named Rupert at the time the family left Austria in 1938!  I wonder if any fan  ever asked Rupert about the outcome of Rolf?

• Love 1

Finally watched the movie "Intouchables" (2011). What he is kind, touching and interesting ... Makes you laugh and cry with emotion. Such different men could become friends. True, true, inseparable.
True, when I watched shots with real people, I thought that everything in the film was somewhat embellished. Not so careless was Driss, and in age they were almost the same age, whereas in the film it is clear that Phillip is older than Driss.
But it is not important. The main thing is the whole film is full of love ... And this is wonderful!😍

• Love 2

Posted about the infamous "kiss" scene in "favourite movie scenes" thread from the movie "The Whole Wide World", so I'll talk about it here as well. It's the only movie (that I know of) about Robert E Howard, the pulp writer who created Conan the Barbarian and Soloman Kane.  Stars Renee Zellweger and Vincent D'Onofrio and is just SO good. I first watched it years ago and I'm not sure I could watch it (for THAT part) 

Spoiler

where Robert commits suicide

now because of that issue hitting too close to home for me. My father did that, and any movie I watch with it in it.....I feel like I can take it and then I'm a blubbering mess, so IDK. Maybe off limits to me to watch now ? But it's a wonderful film and extremely romantic and sad and "old school" Hollywood, honestly. I loved it.

ETA and I think he created Red Sonya, or his creation was the inspiration for her?

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, IWantCandy71 said:

Posted about the infamous "kiss" scene in "favourite movie scenes" thread from the movie "The Whole Wide World", so I'll talk about it here as well. It's the only movie (that I know of) about Robert E Howard, the pulp writer who created Conan the Barbarian and Soloman Kane.  Stars Renee Zellweger and Vincent D'Onofrio and is just SO good. I first watched it years ago and I'm not sure I could watch it (for THAT part) 

Hide contents

where Robert commits suicide

now because of that issue hitting too close to home for me. My father did that, and any movie I watch with it in it.....I feel like I can take it and then I'm a blubbering mess, so IDK. Maybe off limits to me to watch now ? But it's a wonderful film and extremely romantic and sad and "old school" Hollywood, honestly. I loved it.

ETA and I think he created Red Sonya, or his creation was the inspiration for her?

He created Red Sonya, a 16th century woman, who was the inspiration for the chainmail bikini Red Sonja you're thinking of.

Just read about the casting for a new Napoleon movie - Joaquin Phoenix as Napoleon and Vanessa Kirby as Josephine.

This has to be some of the worst casting every, Napoleon's success was influenced by him being a very young general showing the older ones up (Joaquin is 47 and does not pass for under 40 in any way shape or form, are they gonna cast the other generals with actors in their 70s??) and his relationship with Josephine was influenced by her being 6 years OLDER and divorced, with two teenaged children, when they got married. Joaquin Phoenix is 14 years older than Vanessa Kirby. FOURTEEN YEARS. I know Hollywood is allergic to casting older women but this is just ridiculous.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, KatWay said:

Just read about the casting for a new Napoleon movie - Joaquin Phoenix as Napoleon and Vanessa Kirby as Josephine.

This has to be some of the worst casting every, Napoleon's success was influenced by him being a very young general showing the older ones up (Joaquin is 47 and does not pass for under 40 in any way shape or form, are they gonna cast the other generals with actors in their 70s??) and his relationship with Josephine was influenced by her being 6 years OLDER and divorced, with two teenaged children, when they got married. Joaquin Phoenix is 14 years older than Vanessa Kirby. FOURTEEN YEARS. I know Hollywood is allergic to casting older women but this is just ridiculous.

Joaquin Phoenix would be very solid casting for Emperor Napoleon, in the later years of his reign, especially if the movie was about Waterloo. But he is too old to play Napoleon's rise to power.

As for Josephine, Marion Cotillard is right there.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Joaquin Phoenix would be very solid casting for Emperor Napoleon, in the later years of his reign, especially if the movie was about Waterloo. But he is too old to play Napoleon's rise to power.

yeah when I read Joaquin as Napoleon I immediately assumed it was about Waterloo and the surrounding period, but no, it's about his rise as viewed through his relationship with Josephine, apparently which makes the casting baffling.

And oh, Marion would have been great! The Josephine casting is even worse when you read that their first choice was Jodie Comer (she had to drop out because of schedlung conflicts) who is almost 20 years younger than Joaquin.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I recently rewatched Walk the Line, another biopic, of course, and the whole time I was saying that Joaquin was robbed of that Oscar.  That young Joaquin could have played that part. 

• Love 4

I never know where to put news like this since it's streaming, but anyway:

Weird Al biopic starring Daniel Radcliffe coming to Roku Channel:

A couple of gems from the press release:

"When my last movie UHF came out in 1989, I made a solemn vow to my fans that I would release a major motion picture every 33 years, like clockwork. I'm very happy to say we're on schedule," said Yankovic. "And I am absolutely thrilled that Daniel Radcliffe will be portraying me in the film. I have no doubt whatsoever that this is the role future generations will remember him for."

"When Weird Al first sat me down against my will and told me his life story, I didn't believe any of it, but I knew that we had to make a movie about it," writer and director, Eric Appel, added.

It's weird to me that the role went to a Brit, although I'm sure Radcliffe will do more than fine. (I've never heard his American accent, though.) I'm just thinking of the double threats out there who are cheaper.

• Love 3
On 1/7/2022 at 11:48 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

Keira Knightly not want the role? They are both British and she even the same height.

Audrey Hepburn was Dutch, not British, although she did use a sort-of British-ish accent.

I don't think Keira Knightly would make a very good Audrey Hepburn, but Rooney Mara?  Really?  Ugh.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't think Keira Knightly would make a very good Audrey Hepburn,

Keira Knightley doesn't make a very good anyone, in my viewing experience, but that's admittedly not at all extensive. 

But I've never shared in the national enchantment with Audrey Hepburn, so it's a biopic I'll just catch some time when it's on TV and I have nothing else to do, not anything I care about.  I've only seen Rooney Mara in Carol, and whenever I come across her name, I first think of Kate Mara, whom I've seen in several things, and have to correct myself.  So I have no sense of her ability to capture the spirit and countenance of an iconic person.

• Love 2
On 1/7/2022 at 12:14 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Now THIS one, I'm NOT happy about

Rooney Mara as Audrey Hepburn? No, no, no, no, no, no.

Rooney Mara isn't a bad actress, but there's a reason why she never quite hit A-list status. She's got a remote and icy vibe to her. Which isn't really a problem if they gave her the right roles, but they keep insisting on trying to cast her in warm, loving roles that she doesn't give the right vibe to.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Rooney Mara isn't a bad actress, but there's a reason why she never quite hit A-list status. She's got a remote and icy vibe to her. Which isn't really a problem if they gave her the right roles, but they keep insisting on trying to cast her in warm, loving roles that she doesn't give the right vibe to.

Yes, there is a coldness and brittleness to her persona. Audrey was all charm and warmth even though she was very much an introvert.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I could see Kate Mara playing Audrey Hepburn before I could see Rooney. Kate at least has a warmer energy to her.

• Love 4

This probably belongs in Unpopular opinions, but I think Rooney Mara looks a lot like Audrey Hepburn. I can see why they chose her based on the resemblance. But I never cared one bit for Audrey Hepburn, so I don't care for her biopic either. I've seen her in two movies and I hated both of them.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

This probably belongs in Unpopular opinions, but I think Rooney Mara looks a lot like Audrey Hepburn. I can see why they chose her based on the resemblance. But I never cared one bit for Audrey Hepburn, so I don't care for her biopic either. I've seen her in two movies and I hated both of them.

I only saw a couple of hers too and was surprised how bad they were given how popular Audrey Hepburn is. But she really wasn't good in them.  

• Love 1

I got to wondering. There have been a lot of shows and movies based on real people. Surely some of them or their families must have said something. And surely those responses must have been catalogued somewhere. Where?

On 7/12/2022 at 12:52 AM, Anduin said:

I got to wondering. There have been a lot of shows and movies based on real people. Surely some of them or their families must have said something. And surely those responses must have been catalogued somewhere. Where?

As far as I know, there is no archive of families' responses to movies based on real people.  Various news outlets and magazines will do interviews with family members after a movie comes out, but there really is no rhyme or reason when those happen. It really depends on the news cycle when the movie is released and how the filmmaker approached his/her/their subject and their subject's living family members.  From what I can see, the director of the latest Elvis film got Priscilla's blessing.  She was promoting the movie on her social media and was invited to various premieres.   

• Useful 1
56 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

As far as I know, there is no archive of families' responses to movies based on real people.  Various news outlets and magazines will do interviews with family members after a movie comes out, but there really is no rhyme or reason when those happen. It really depends on the news cycle when the movie is released and how the filmmaker approached his/her/their subject and their subject's living family members.  From what I can see, the director of the latest Elvis film got Priscilla's blessing.  She was promoting the movie on her social media and was invited to various premieres.   

Interesting. It's the kind of thing you'd think someone would catalogue. But if no one can think of a site that does so, then apparently not.

Instead of an actual Fleetwood Mac biopic, it looks like we're getting an "inspired by" deal with Daisy Jones and the Six:

I would watch this if I had Amazone Prime because I really like Sam Claflin. They're released an album and I'm actually really digging it:

I'm still surprised there isn't a mini-series actually about Fleetwood Mac. With Christie McVie's death and the renewed interest in Fleetwood Mac it'd be cool if they did one. 

• Like 3