Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Austerlitz

scrb
  • Start Topic

In an effort to fix his public image, Logan agrees to a family therapy session at Connor's ranch in New Mexico, intending it to double as a publicity stunt. Meanwhile, lying low, Kendall spends time with the locals and finds his sobriety tested; Shiv considers putting herself in a precarious situation when Nate pushes her to join the team of Gil Eavis, a potential presidential candidate who goes against everything her father stands for.

Conor's estate in the New Mexico desert is named Austerlitz, which is a place in the Czech Republic.  Mostly known for one of Napoleon's victories, in 1805.  He changed it from a less PC name.

Kendall doesn't join his family initially but he makes his way to New Mexico.  Maybe the Wild West is a fitting place for him to fall off the wagon  -- what are the odds also that he'd meet a bunch of characters who were rejected for Breaking Bad?

But while high, he sees clearly that his addictions are all from Logan never giving his approval to him growing up.

The Roys are loaded so there is no shortage of people willing to join the family or at least spend a lot of time with its members.  But wow, these outsiders are subject to so much verbal abuse.  The Roy siblings have been calling Willa a call girl but in this episode, even Marcia, so polite and gracious, tells Willa that she had a friend just like Willa and the fact that she died had nothing to do with her being a prostitute!

Then Logan tells Shiv that Tom is fathoms beneath Shiv!

It's not clear what arrangement Conor and Willa have had but he offers her an allowance and money to go to NY to build her theater career if she stays in New Mexico.  Fine, she figures she'll just borrow his Tesla to go to Starbucks and get away from his weepy ass every day.  Oh no, he has Starbucks pods!  

What are the odds that a rich guy would have a fancy coffeemaker?

How surprising is it that Shiv cheated?  But she didn't have to use the "shit happens" clause in the prenup because they're not married yet!  If she's going to betray her father by working for Bernie Sanders with a mean streak, what chance did poor Tom have?

• Love 8

Oh man, there was a LOT of personality dissection this week.

Shiv thinks she's smarter than she really is and doesn't recognize the effect her father's coattails have had on her career.   Her move to Gil's campaign means that his people and supporters won't easily accept her, she won't have Daddy to fall back on, and her F buddy relationship with her former boyfriend/current colleague is going to distract her and cause her nothing but problems.  She's jumping in the deep end without a life preserver.   Logan was a complete a$%hole, but he was right about Shiv and Tom.

Logan is stuck with his two least talented children.  Logan knows to keep Conor at arm's length, so it's just Logan and Roman.   Roman got an actual work assignment this week.  He did actually try to address the issue, so we'll have to see what comes of that.

Kendall's aiming to hit bottom again.

Logan getting out of the pool had rather obvious fingernail scratched across his upper back.   Marcia's got to trim those nails.   That's supposed to tell us they're banging and it may be a bit wild, but what else is that supposed to tell us?  That Marcia is meeting his needs as a way to manipulate him...or that two older people can get their wild thing on?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, terrymct said:

Logan getting out of the pool had rather obvious fingernail scratched across his upper back.   Marcia's got to trim those nails.   That's supposed to tell us they're banging and it may be a bit wild, but what else is that supposed to tell us?  That Marcia is meeting his needs as a way to manipulate him...or that two older people can get their wild thing on?

I don't think those were fingernail scratches.  They looked like scars - from self-flagellation or whippings.  I think we were meant to notice them, so I
don't think it's sex-related.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 17

All the characters are assholes on this show, but you know it's bad when the ball buster father is the most likable person in the bunch. I almost was starting to like Kendall until he embarked on his "drug tour  of self pity".  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Adultosaurus said:

I don't think those were fingernail scratches.  They looked like scars - from self-flagellation or whippings.  I think we were meant to notice them, so I

Logan doesn't appear to be religious, overly introspective, or even particularly critical of himself.  There's no indication that he's the type to whip himself.

• Love 2

Good ep. I’m enjoying this now a lot. The therapy session was cringeworthy. Fascinating that people who get this rich really can’t see past the nose on their face. Any normal human could have read that room in a second, no one was willing to call Logan out on his bullshit. He didn’t acquire all he has for his kids, he did it because he wants it for himself. And Kendall stoned really hit the nail on the head when he commented that, yes Dad, you’ve given us more than you ever got and you resent us. Wow! Guess they didn’t need the therapist, they just needed Kendall to get high.

I still can’t stand Shiv. I enjoyed watching her taken down a peg. She remains the sibling I really just hate. The rest are just kind of pathetic. 

• Like 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, minamurray78 said:

And I guess we finally know what´s so great about Tom. For Shiv anyway.

Can you please explain? What do we now know about Tom that's great. That he's a doormat for Shiv?

17 minutes ago, Arcey said:

Can you please explain? What do we now know about Tom that's great. That he's a doormat for Shiv?

Well, yeah. I guess that´s what works for her. Per Logan's words he won´t compete with her, nor betray her. I think he has a point.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, minamurray78 said:

I think those are meant to be scars, and that he's been hiding them from his children all along because when the corporate therapist suggests they all go for a swim, Connor ans Shiv explain their dad can´t swim, doesn´t trust water. Their demeanor seemed honest, not like they were covering up for him but rather stating a fact they have been told their wholes lives. A lie made up by Logan in order to avoid being seen shirtless by his children. We actually see him swimming in the end.

So true, he can swim, he just doesn't want the kids to know about the origin of the scars, whatever it is.

• Love 4

I'm loving this show.. so glad I found it. I'm likely in the minority but i feel sorry for Kendall. He's the only one that seems to actually understand his father's business and has put in time there, but gets treated the worst. I just want to smack Roman...lil weasel.  Connor is actually cringe-worthy....so sad to watch a man act like that. I bet his eventual meltdown will be super amusing!

Marcia is a snake, but they're all snakes so she found herself the perfect family. 

Tom - gross.

Greg- hilarious bumpkin

Jerry- awesome

Shiv- full of herself

Logan- just an unbearably mean prick but boy you can't take your eyes off him in any scene. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 12

I'm not really hate-watching this anymore.  Don't get me wrong, this is a TERRIBLE show - incredibly silly, filled with completely boringly dysfunctional wealthy characters, no real narrative drive and often times the writing literally makes me cringe, like I just bit into a rotten lemon with a seed that also chipped my tooth.  HOWEVER:  I'm finding it a fascinating exercise in watching top-notch incredibly talented actors trying desperately to makes something compelling out of truly awful material.  They are all marvelous.  So I will keep watching.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Maurina said:

I'm not really hate-watching this anymore.  Don't get me wrong, this is a TERRIBLE show - incredibly silly, filled with completely boringly dysfunctional wealthy characters, no real narrative drive and often times the writing literally makes me cringe, like I just bit into a rotten lemon with a seed that also chipped my tooth.  HOWEVER:  I'm finding it a fascinating exercise in watching top-notch incredibly talented actors trying desperately to makes something compelling out of truly awful material.  They are all marvelous.  So I will keep watching.

I totally agree with everything you said! This show is pretty much pointless, but the actors are so good I want to keep watching. Brian Cox has played Hannibal Lector and Hermann Goring, and Logan Roy is just as horrifying in his own unique way.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, minamurray78 said:

Well, yeah. I guess that´s what works for her. Per Logan's words he won´t compete with her, nor betray her. I think he has a point.

That makes sense.  We see Shiv with that other man and there is tons of passion and chemistry.  None whatsoever with Tom.  She has to see through his gold digging social climbing ways but doesn't seem to care. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Lemons said:

That makes sense.  We see Shiv with that other man and there is tons of passion and chemistry.  None whatsoever with Tom.  She has to see through his gold digging social climbing ways but doesn't seem to care. 

But she was ordering around Nate too.

And told notBernieSanders that she won't work for Nate.

Griffin Dunne! Whom I sadly know as Madonna's love interest in the seminal '80s classic "Who's That Girl."

My real question is, who played Gil? (The Bernie avatar.) I couldn't catch it in the credits but he looked familiar.

I unapologetically love this show. It is great summer TV. Every scene that involves most of all of the family is super entertaining.

• Like 2
  • Love 6
41 minutes ago, scrb said:

But she was ordering around Nate too.

And told notBernieSanders that she won't work for Nate.

I guess she has a bossy personality.  Did you notice the difference in personalities between the men?  It seemed like she was way more attracted to Nate and they have a history together.  So why wouldn't she hang on to him?  Instead she finds a guy so transparent and pretty much an idiot.  He has no qualities to justify her choosing him.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

Griffin Dunne! Whom I sadly know as Madonna's love interest in the seminal '80s classic "Who's That Girl."

My real question is, who played Gil? (The Bernie avatar.) I couldn't catch it in the credits but he looked familiar.

I unapologetically love this show. It is great summer TV. Every scene that involves most of all of the family is super entertaining.

Gil is played by Eric Bogosian, who incidentally has had a recurring role in Billions too, as Lawrence Boyd.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Lemons said:

I guess she has a bossy personality.  Did you notice the difference in personalities between the men?  It seemed like she was way more attracted to Nate and they have a history together.  So why wouldn't she hang on to him?  Instead she finds a guy so transparent and pretty much an idiot.  He has no qualities to justify her choosing him.

Nate is just a lap-dog for her as well.  He can't get a few words out without exclaiming his desire to fuck her.  He may be more on the ball than Tom, but he's still submissive to her.

• Love 5
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:57 PM, sugarbaker design said:

So true, he can swim, he just doesn't want the kids to know about the origin of the scars, whatever it is.

For some reason, I automatically assumed Logan's scars were the result of beatings as a youth by his father or caregiver. Would certainly fit in with the family/therapy theme of the episode. And this would also provide more backstory for why he's so defensive with little patience for his coddled children. Interesting, too, that he struck his grandson in a previous episode, which might mean a cycle of physical abuse.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

A lot of stuff going on this week. Not as exciting as last week, but I was still entertained. The actors are so good, I just enjoy watching them play off each other. 

I've heard of self man men and women who start with nothing and become super wealthy, who go onto struggle relating to their wealthy children. That probably had something to do with why Logan has such crappy relationships with all of his kids, even beyond him just being an asshole. He really seems to straight up dislike all of his kids, which, while none of them are prizes, that doesn't say much about him as the person who raised them. 

Watching Kendall go down into his drug spiral seemed pretty much inevitable. I admit that I was a bit surprised that Roman immediately ran off to get him when he realized he was on drugs, and did seem to be actually worried about him. And he did his job, at least a bit. Thats certainly better behavior than we`ve gotten from him in the other episodes. 

I think Shiv wants to be seen as really smart, and thats why she is going to work for the polar opposite of her dad, and why she is with a guy she doesn't seem to like very much, because she gets to be the smart and powerful one. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

In the Inside the Episode, someone mentioned that Logan may believe it when he said he's done everything for his children.

Meanwhile, Jeremy Strong said Kendall is messed up because of his "eternally disapproving" father.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think Willa desperately wants out of this relationship with Connor but feels trapped like a prisoner.  Connor is unstable, obsessive, and prone to outbursts (as seen when he hosted the ball), and I think she feels like she's walking on eggshells around him. No doubt she doesn't want to live with him in Santa Fe because if things go south, he could easily snap and kill her, and no one would ever know.  She has a high risk profession. I really liked how Marcia was matter of fact with her, asking her about her job without any judgement, even though it was clear Willa was not going to admit the truth. That was an interesting scene.

• Love 3
On 7/16/2018 at 5:17 PM, Adultosaurus said:

Pretty sure it's whipping marks, probably from an abusive father figure (or possibly a dominatrix).
Scars were largely side to side, not up over the shoulder, and not wrapping around the sides; so given by someone else.

• Like 2

Stewy being in awe of how much piss was in the bag thrown at Logan was gross but hilarious.  

Kendall appearing and shutting the door in Roman's face right after the housekeeper lied that Kendall was out was also hilarious.  

Maybe I'm just terminally lazy and unambitious, but Kendall apparently still has trust money or something coming in ...  like, just chill out, man.  But of course he's been raised to have no inherent self worth.

That poor therapist lol.

Poor Kendall, only on drugs does he seem halfway happy.  I was actually impressed Roman ran off to get him and seemed actually concerned.

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Like 1
On 7/19/2018 at 8:13 PM, scrb said:

In the Inside the Episode, someone mentioned that Logan may believe it when he said he's done everything for his children.

Just like Walter White! 

I half expected the drug guys Kendall hung out with to be some of the druggies from Breaking Bad. 

(edited)

Someone in a reaction/review video figured out the source of Logan's scars. It (apparently) was the "evil uncle" of Logan's that the family was talking about earlier, albeit with no knowledge of physical abuse on their part. That makes the most sense to me (and I also thought after watching that the scratches were from Marcia).

Edited by Mibbitmaker
Gramar