Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Fix

YES! I was thinking about that too earlier but I couldn't really remember enough about her conversation with the boss to say why I thought it. Plus, we wouldn't have gotten it on the first episode of a new show anyway. But then I was trying to recall whether Adora indicated later how long it's been since she'd last seen Camille. 

• Love 1

I think it was just prior to this story, if Adora and step daddy showed up, then that is why Adora was yelling at her "we haven't heard from you in months" so I think after the treatment she ghosted mama and mama is mad.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I think it was just prior to this story, if Adora and step daddy showed up, then that is why Adora was yelling at her "we haven't heard from you in months" so I think after the treatment she ghosted mama and mama is mad.

Good catch!

2 hours ago, nachomama said:

A great aid to viewers of this would be a timeline. I can't keep track of the sequence of events which greatly diminishes my understanding of this.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, nachomama said:

I don't think Adora needs any logical reason to be pissed at Camille. Camille speaks? She's mad. Camille is quiet? She's mad. Camille breathes? She's mad. I imagine she'd be mad at Camille if Camille wound up killed.

• Love 12
35 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I don't think Adora needs any logical reason to be pissed at Camille. Camille speaks? She's mad. Camille is quiet? She's mad. Camille breathes? She's mad. I imagine she'd be mad at Camille if Camille wound up killed.

I have not read the book but I think we are just at the tip of the iceberg of how horrible Adora really is.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, nachomama said:

That would be especially mindboggling because we just saw that Adora did not show up for her when she seeking treatment.

Amma is devious as hell. She's infantalized and disempowered at home, so she actively seeks to gain maximum power outside the house. I felt like her coming after Camille in front of those jackal children was as much of an act of dominance as anything. She's willing to take on the historical 'it' girl of Wind Gap, the infamous bad girl that still reverberates in everyone's minds decades later. It's like she wants to gobble up everything Camille ever was.

Ashley is a piece of work. Her takeaway from John lashing out at the town that ostracizes him and is responsible for his sister's murder is that...he wants to invalidate their relationship? 

So dumbass local cop can't intimidate Camille away from her job, so he runs to her momma? This whole town is garbage. The casual racism was the perfect coup de grace. 

Interesting that step-dad is apparently barely holding it together. 

• Love 5

That would be especially mindboggling because we just saw that Adora did not show up for her when she seeking treatment.

She showed up as far as being at the hospital with flowers. For whatever reason, she hauled ass out before seeing Camille.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

She showed up as far as being at the hospital with flowers. For whatever reason, she hauled ass out before seeing Camille.

I was confused about that too. Was it supposed to be clear why she got so mad she threw the roses on the floor at the nurse's station? Since she was cut by a thorn in the present day I thought maybe in the flashback they were telling her Camille couldn't have roses because she could cut herself with the thorns. And that pissed Adora off since she's more interested in appearances than reality, and the roses were good for appearances. But that is a lot of guesswork on my part where I thought the show could have shaded the details in a bit better.

• Love 11
33 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ooooh, nice! My former English lit-major self digs your theory!

It may be a hazy memory from the book that I'm passing off as a theory. Hopefully that won't provoke any 'don't talk about the book' complaint since I barely remember AND the corresponding scene in the show has already passed. : )

• Love 3

Wasn't the nurse shown dethorning the roses? I definitely got the impression it was because they were a cutting hazard. Which just paints another stroke in Adora's characterization. 

• Love 2
On 7/25/2018 at 1:34 PM, ferjy said:

We see the "baby" on the building as she's driving after Amma. It got me wondering if Camille could be Amma's mother. I think the timeline would fit if Amma is about 15. They also seem to have stressed a few scenes of Camille saying she has no children, it got me wondering. Might be why Amma gets to Camille so much.

This was my suspicion too. In the convenience store, one of Amma's friends says that Camille is older enough to be her mother.

• Love 3
On 7/26/2018 at 8:04 PM, Accidental Martyr said:

I read on another site that she was released from the hospital shortly before being sent to Wind Gap on this assignment, but I don’t remember it being referenced in the first episode.

This makes sense. In the first episode, her editor explains that, in sending her back to Wind Gap to write this story, he's hoping she'll get "back on her feet" again or something like that. I remember wondering what's the backstory there and we never really got an answer. It would make sense if she just returned from a trip to rehab/treatment center at work, and he was trying to give her a piece that could be her big break. 

• Love 1
On 7/26/2018 at 8:29 PM, rozen said:

Amma is devious as hell. She's infantalized and disempowered at home, so she actively seeks to gain maximum power outside the house. I felt like her coming after Camille in front of those jackal children was as much of an act of dominance as anything. She's willing to take on the historical 'it' girl of Wind Gap, the infamous bad girl that still reverberates in everyone's minds decades later. It's like she wants to gobble up everything Camille ever was.

THIS

On 7/24/2018 at 9:02 PM, TattleTeeny said:

I think Camille's stay in the hospital was before she arrived in Wind Gap. Since the first episode, she's been using the iPod, which I assume was Alice's. Never read the book, but I'll venture a guess that she's been cutting since her sister died.

Thank you; I agree.

I understand that Camille is putting up a front in some respect, because she feels vulnerable, but I am really tired of her tough girl attitude.   Actually its coming off as  Amy Adams just being herself, as she may envision a tough girl attitude..  There's a real snobby smug-ishness that comes off  in some of her performances, imo.

Also it seems to be GF's thing to show women as predators, and I think theres no turning back from that with Adora and Amma, now.   Amma not only bumped chests with her much older adult sister as she taunted her, but she straight up stuck that big lollipop in her hair on purpose.  Camille looked rattled and upset to tears about the bullying as she walked/drove away. I hope she puts that little bitch back a step or  three.

Kansas City cop continues to be a flagrant asshole for not putting up a bigger stink over Camile, drunk, walking herself home, with a sadistic murderer on the loose.  Theres only been two kilings, its not like he can say he even has a definite victimology. Cops!

• Love 1
On 7/26/2018 at 8:18 AM, preeya said:

A great aid to viewers of this would be a timeline. I can't keep track of the sequence of events which greatly diminishes my understanding of this.

Don't watch Westworld! Teasing.  After last week's ep when we saw the Camille's hospital sequences, the timeline and images we've seen are starting to fall into place for me. Now I know who that blond girl is from the pilot. This gives me confidence the show knows where it wants to go if I'm patient with it. And for some reason I've decided to be patient. Maybe because it is August and summertime and this show is slow like summer. I wouldn't like watching this in say, December. 

I understand that Camille is putting up a front in some respect, because she feels vulnerable, but I am really tired of her tough girl attitude.  

Camille is a deeply frustrating character although I kind of admire how thoroughly messed up Gillian Flynn made her. Honestly, should she even be able to function? Between her drinking problem, cutting, and horrible childhood (mother, gang-rape most likely, dead sister), it's almost too much. I admire Amy Adams for not overplaying it. She does drunk really well too. I always know exactly how messed up she is.

• Love 2
On 7/23/2018 at 1:24 PM, ferjy said:

Maybe Adora has something to hide and she's afraid Camille will expose her.

You know, I used to watch most shows on my phone or tablet and I could never understand why people complained about the sound. Then I got a nice new big HD TV set and so many of the shows were muffled! Great visuals, but the sound isn't what older TV sets were. I even bought a sound bar and though it helped, a lot of the shows still weren't clear. Yet on my phone they're fine. I guess because it's made for good sound because it's also an mp3 player. The new sets are made more for visuals than sound. You have to invest in an elaborate sound system to get decent sound.

That makes sense. Are you using earphones with your tablet? My earphones pick up everything. I've never used closed captioning before now. There are other shows I find hard to hear but this was the first time I felt like I needed to get cc. Maybe I should watch on my tablet. 

13 minutes ago, love2lovebadtv said:

That makes sense. Are you using earphones with your tablet? My earphones pick up everything. I've never used closed captioning before now. There are other shows I find hard to hear but this was the first time I felt like I needed to get cc. Maybe I should watch on my tablet. 

Not always. Yes, it’s clearer with earphones, but even without, it’s pretty clear. 

• Love 1
On 7/25/2018 at 1:34 PM, ferjy said:

I have to wonder if the words really aren't clues. Maybe not necessary to solving the crimes, but I do think they lead somewhere. One thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned here is about one of the words "baby" that we see on a side of a building while Camille is driving, right after the scene where Adora interrupts her interview. It's one of the words that they actually lingered on. Camille notices Amma roller skating down the road and turns the car to follow her. We see the "baby" on the building as she's driving after Amma. It got me wondering if Camille could be Amma's mother. I think the timeline would fit if Amma is about 15. They also seem to have stressed a few scenes of Camille saying she has no children, it got me wondering. Might be why Amma gets to Camille so much.

I've wondered if Amma wasn't Camille's daughter, if for no other reason than Adora looks more like she'd be Amma's grandmother. She's just not nelieva2to me as the mother of a teenager. It would make sense if her young, unmarried daughter got pregnant and she raised the child as her own. 

I know people are saying Amy Adams looks like she's in her 40s hut I think that's only to those who know her true age. I've seen way more characters look much older and they didn't consume even a quarter of the liquor that this character does. 

On 7/24/2018 at 7:38 PM, Buttless said:

Ashley is John's gf, and I thought she was an irritating caricature of a Southern prom queen/cheerleader.  Not that they dont exist. They do; and that fake sugar that that put on everything pisses me off. Its a gross form of bitchy femininity. 

She clearly wanted to be in the limelight of this that small shitty town, and wanted to be written up by Camille in the big town paper as the pretty, head cheerleader, wonderful doting gf of John, who is probably the only well-to-do good looking guy in town. By 30, she'll be an alcoholic with bitch lines on her face, be screwing around on her dope of a husband, and generally be trying to destroy the '"spirit" of anyone in her orbit.

How old is his girlfriend supposed to be? I was surprised she was wearing a cheerleading uniform. Thought she was older since her boyfriend is staying with her and she talks like they're married or have been together for such a long time. 

2 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

How old is his girlfriend supposed to be? I was surprised she was wearing a cheerleading uniform. Thought she was older since her boyfriend is staying with her and she talks like they're married or have been together for such a long time. 

John has been staying in the carriage house at Ashley's parents' house so technically they're living on the same property, but they're not living together on their own or even sharing a bedroom.

Ashley is still in high school. When Camille was talking to her former high school classmates about Ashley, one of them said, "She's a cheerleader," as in present tense, not past tense, which to me says that Ashley is still in high school.

When Camille goes to Ashley's house to interview John, they talk about him living there. He says that he's been living there a little over two years since his sophomore year and he says that Ashley's parents have been very kind. I'm assuming that John and Ashley were already dating when he moved into the carriage house. Two years is practically married when you're in high school!

• Love 1
On 7/27/2018 at 9:48 AM, BingeyKohan said:

I was confused about that too. Was it supposed to be clear why she got so mad she threw the roses on the floor at the nurse's station? Since she was cut by a thorn in the present day I thought maybe in the flashback they were telling her Camille couldn't have roses because she could cut herself with the thorns. And that pissed Adora off since she's more interested in appearances than reality, and the roses were good for appearances. But that is a lot of guesswork on my part where I thought the show could have shaded the details in a bit better.

That was the first thing I thought, too! I can just see Adora absolutely flipping shit because she wasn't allowed to bring roses back.

Every time I see Adora impeding Camille's progress on the story, I want to punch her in the face. I'm hoping there's going to be a takedown of Adora by Camille and it cannot come soon enough. 

• Love 2

I am waiting for the scene where Adora gets exactly what she deserves. She is a pretty wretched woman and I can't imagine what Camille could have done to get Adora to hate her so much. It's been like this before Marian died so I presume there's no reveal of Camille killing her sister, but Adora really does seem to resent everything about her. She talks about her image so much but she's also willing to be a hypocrite, such as her talking with the Sheriff about the killings when she told Camille that she couldn't stand such talk. Her calling her own daughter dangerous also seems like an overreaction. Camille is unstable, yes, but that's because she has instability in her life and especially with her family. 

Amma seems to want the attention in some way, hence why she had the power in that confrontation with Camille. I can see why she acts out, since Adora is such a wretched woman and Alan is such a coward, but shitting on Camille when she's aware how much Camille is hated is the wrong way to go about things. I'm not really sure who Amma really is, but she definitely seems to be hiding her true self, in my opinion.

That being said, people turning a blind eye to Camille's alcoholism is so....weird. Nobody in this town seems to take any action at all. I think it moves the plot much slower, but not necessarily in a good way. It's hard to love the show. I like murder mysteries and I do get that this isn't necessarily a Whodunnit story (Camille's editor even told her in the pilot that she wasn't there to solve the murder) but seeing so few people caring about who this killer is is pretty dumb writing. 

So, Camille's tragedy story continues with her friend killing herself in rehab. I knew that part of her life had to have been recently, since they didn't try to age Amy Adams down, but it does seem like that part of her life happened in the last year or so because of the quick flash to Amma being in the rehab center to visit.

I'm not hating the show, I'm not loving it. I'm fairly in the middle still. The acting is well done but everything else is...just alright, I suppose.