Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E12: 13 : Road to the Finals & Live Finale

• Start Topic

Okay, yeah.  This was the first time that James did it for me this season.  That was great.  If I can't have Candace win, then I need it to be James. 

• Love 1
(edited)

What in blue hell is going on with Danica's hair? Also I was with Len, that freestyle didn't wow me. It felt like a performance that had promise, a performance where you kept waiting for the wow moment and it never came. Instead it just remained nice the whole way through.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
(edited)

Okay, here comes the unpopular opinion. Technically it was perfect and yes it was passionate but I just feel like "I've seen this before..." I get playing to your strengths but I just feel like Maks and Meryl's entire season has been categorized by their "intense connection and passion" and this didn't show me anything different.

The almost kissing move we saw in the Foxtrot and I feel like I saw half of the dance two weeks ago in their rumba. Where is the surprise, the "omg, holy cow did you see that?"  I actually think Meryl would have done amazing with something jazzy and broadway-ish, even something like Charlie's Mary Poppins number (without the cane). Because at least it would be a little different than everything I've seen for the last 10 weeks. 

I thought Candace's freestyle was cute but I was holding my breath the whole time because I kept thinking Mark's was going to just completely break his arm in those lifts. Also, Erin looks gorgeous tonight. She is working that yellow. 

eta: Seriously, it wasn't that bad. Candace's daughter does not look happy.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Somewhere today I read someone say that CAI was going to say that M&M should get married - and there you have it.

Hey - did you all know that it's been 13 tries for Maks?   In case you forget it - that's 13.

• Love 1

Boo to all of the judges!  They must really want Candace gone.  I thought her dance was fun and high energy.  I was so worried for Mark all the way through it though.

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay, here comes the unpopular opinion. Technically it was perfect and yes it was passionate but I just feel like "I've seen this before..."

Understood, but I think that is what a contemp routine is supposed to be--passionate and emotional.  They just nailed it.  Maks does seem to have more of a connection to Meryl than any previous partner.  I know he has said she is a normal girl without any show-biz kind of issues.  Makes me wonder what kind of issues his previous partners had.  Some of these pros (Maks, Cheryl, Karina) should write their memoirs.

Edited by radishcake
  • Love 2
(edited)

Wow.  8's?  Really, judges?  I know Candace would not approve, but they can go straight to Hell - they are still the mean girls, all three of them.  They know she isn't going to win, it doesn't cost a thing for them not to do that to her. 

Amy.  OMG.

Edited by Bavct
  • Love 1

So spinning around in the air is dancing??

In Derrick's world it apparently is. While it was pretty cool to watch, I would not score it a 10 if I were judging.

• Love 3
(edited)

oh jeesh... derek breaks out a damned rope in the air

I'm not a huge Candace fan but I was also surprised by the 8's.  I think Candace has actually been overscored a lot this season but now isn't the time to suddenly toss out more realistic scores.  

Edited by TooMuchCoffee
  • Love 1
(edited)

Did this seem shorter than everyone else's or was it just me? The moment Derek talked about Amy literally defying gravity in his interviews before the show, I knew she was going to do some aerial thing. See Mark, that's how you do an aerial move without putting your celebrity on a pole. That said, I'm torn. Man, maybe I'm just really nitpicky tonight. But I just feel like, I've seen Amy do a contemporary already and it was pretty good then.

I mean this one was definitely better than the first but it just felt like well, she did a contemporary. I hope they stop hyping the freestyles to be honest because in the last few seasons they've just been a disappointment. Although last season's was actually really good and I'd rank it higher than this year's - Jack, Amber and Bill's freestyles were all a lot of fun. Wasn't a fan of Corbin's because it was just a re-do of a Michael Jackson dance imo. 

Doing aerial spins isn't dancing or impressive - tell that to P!nk and the Cirque du Soleil folks. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Wow it is so cool to be able to read posts while the show is airing. [/happy dance]

I am enjoying all the posts here  in an unhealthy fashion.

Carry on, witty posters. :)

Now that I've seen all the freestyles:

James impressed me. He did a lot better than I thought he would.

Meryl was captivating. I rewatched it a few times, the emotion in that dance was amazing. This was my favorite of the night.

Candace wasn't amazing but I would have given her 9's. When Mark did that one lift, the one where he hurt his shoulder in practice, I watched his face and he looked like it really hurt. I hope he didn't reinjure it. 

Amy. The lifts were cool, but I was hoping she would dance like she did last week for her Quickstep. I can appreciate the strength and athleticism needed for all the lifts and the rope, but I really wanted to see her move.

• Love 4
(edited)

I feel like with both Amy and Maks (because it's all about Maks and his 13 times losing) we have seen it already this season in spades - even though I found Amy's more likeable. 

I wish we had gotten something more from both of them.  That is way I liked Candace's - she couldn't be more out of her element, but she tried and I thought James' did a great job on his freestyle when he could have gone the overwrought contemporary route with Peta in pasties and a thong.

ETA:  Sorry to see James go, he had a better shot of sneaking in a win against Amy and 13Times than Candace - but then...the judges went for blood with Candace tonight and I think if her fanbase rallied around her last week when everyone including Tom rolled the bus over her, you just never know....

Edited by Bavct
(edited)

Holy fucking shit. I knew that Candace had a fanbase behind her, but holy fucking shit. Was not expecting that. I don't think Candace was expecting that, either. She looked calm and relaxed under the red lights, like she had resigned herself to leaving.

Congratulations, Maks, on not completely fucking up the freestyle. I wasn't that crazy about it because I felt like they were trying too hard to pander to shippers, but on its own (out of context) it was a decent routine. AND THERE WAS NO BED, HALLELUJAH.

(That said, I still want to punch Maks in the face.)

Butt bongos should be outlawed.

I don't know how I feel about James and Peta's dance. I like martial arts fusion routines, but in terms of the theme and choreography.... eh. And why did Erin keep referring to a sword? Wasn't James twirling a bo/staff?

Candace and Mark's freestyle: I'm sorry, but there's just no point in dancing to that song, because Center Stage already did this iconic routine:

DWTS could never. That said, I felt like their 8s were a bit of a lowball for a dance that is generally a freebie unless it's something REALLY horrible, like the Dreaded Doll Dance. Wonder if they're trying to ensure that Candace won't win the mirrorball tomorrow?

Len was right, the rope bit of Derek and Amy's freestyle was unnecessary. Don't try to channel Cirque du Soleil.

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well, I voted for this first time this season for Meryl and Maks. Mostly because I adore Meryl, but to also try to not let Derrick or Mark win. Time to give it to Maks. Just let it happen.

And A Center Stage reference in the Forum! Perhaps one I will always stop and watch whenever it's on.

Edited by NCChic
  • Love 2
(edited)

After the judges screwed over Candace with the 8's, I am ticked off!  They lowballed her so she would have no chance of winning tomorrow night.  I have sent all of my votes to Meryl.  I see her as the only one to take down Golden Boy.

I am sick and tired of him and the judges treatment of him.

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 3
(edited)

Wow, color me shocked that James is the one to go, I thought for sure it would be Candace.

And this is my tinfoil hat now. I wonder if the 8s wasn't the judges way of trying to skew the final results tomorrow. Like they knew she was safe and wanted to do everything they could to make sure it was Amy or Meryl.

I think Amy will win because of her story and because she's got Golden Boy. That said I do hope Meryl takes it home because she was my favorite from the beginning.... which surprises me because I was all excited to see Charlie and ended up liking Meryl more.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 2

No really, what is going on with Danica's hair?

That said, I really liked Maks and Meryl's AT but I preferred the one she did with Val. It was good and their chemistry was good but I didn't have a sit up right, "holy shit..." moment like I did with hers with Val. Still good though. As for the freestyle, well see above. 

Amy brought it with her salsa which is why I'm a little confused by the comments about her not dancing. She danced in her salsa and she danced in her freestyle in my opinion. My problem was that the freestyle was pretty much just a contemporary and since they've made contemporary a permanent style on the show, doing it for a freestyle is no longer wow in my opinion. 

I actually kind of liked Candace's freestyle. It was cute and honestly, after Meryl and Maks and Derek and Amy, at least it was something different. Same with James'. The problem I had with James' freestyle is that it just felt like he and Peta had a decent idea that never fully came together to be as amazing as it could have been. 

Have to say, I'm kind of surprised James went home. The Facebook likes thing that had been so on point all season totally called that one wrong. It also makes sense now why Candace got those 8's for her Freestyle. Girl must be killing in those viewer votes. 

I think I'd better start practicing my duck and cover move - between the shipper frenzies and the flame wars and maybe even Jesus getting out of the bathtub to vote, I'm scairt.

Omg I had to quote you just to say how hilarious "scairt" is. Thank you for that. Clearly I need to get out more, but that made me snort. 

Since a few seasons ago when Derek and that american idol chick beat out Val and Zendaya  it's obvious that sappy contemporary numbers are the way to go, to get the most votes. I didn't care for any of the freestyles. Mark really flopped though. That disco routine was a mess and Candace continues to be stiff and awkward.

Meryl's Argentine Tango was the best dance of the night.

• Love 2

I can't tell if Mark is pissed, in pain, or both...

Both would be my guess. I don't know if it's the same shoulder he hurt last time but I remember when he hurt it that he was suffering a lot and just barely managed to get through the dance with Sabrina.

I also think he was semi-hoping to be eliminated because he's in pain so I think it's a combination.

• Love 1

Just like I thought, that Maks and Meryl freestyle was a straight rip-off of Kellie and Derek's.  From the lighting to the costumes -- it was the same thing.  Only different was the song which was playing up to the shippers.  But you know what they say -- imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

• Love 1

So spinning around in the air is dancing??  

And now it is okay to "dance with your soul" instead of dancing?

I perked up when CAI said "why isn't Derek having Amy dance?"  And then, of course, we got that "dance with your soul" crap.  Should have known she wouldn't really take him to task for that.  

• Love 2

Well, the elimination was correct.  Maks and Meryl were the best and were aptly scored, amazingly enough. But I will not be surprised, only very disappointed, if Derek and Amy win.  The aerialism was pretty impressive.  I think Candace has done OK, but I don't think she's got a shot.

After the Cirque de Soleil freestyle of Derek and Amy, I figured Meryl and Maks were done for.  Then CAI mentioned that t  he entire start of the dance was lifts, and I had hope for the judges' comments...  Eh, not so much from her.  I was quite proud of Len for judging as he felt he should -- he would be the least happy about the rope, and his score showed it.

And can I say way to go for Meryl and Maks?  She also showed so much growth this season -- at least in emoting during the dances.  I really appreciated Bruno's comment after the Argentine tango -- their dances have shown a thread to follow this season.

Candace -- I have not much to say.  Mark -- watching you grimace through the quickstep makes me wonder what awesome drugs were pumping through your body to do all the lifts in that freestyle.

• Love 3
Len was right, the rope bit of Derek and Amy's freestyle was unnecessary. Don't try to channel Cirque du Soleil.

I disagree. To each his own, but I look forward to the freestyle wowing me in some way. I'm not saying what Amy did there was the most unbelievable thing ever but I see why Derek put it in as the obvious wow moment for the dance. Because without that it was just a basic contemporary dance. He went for something that would have a powerful visual effect and to me the freestyle is definitely the dance you want to do that in. That's what I had a problem with for James' dance. There was never a wow moment. 

To each his own, but I look forward to the freestyle wowing me in some way.

The problem is that the rope didn't wow me at all, because it just made me think of some poor man's version of Cirque du Soleil, much like Candace and Mark's freestyle song choice made me make unfavorable comparisons to Center Stage.

(edited)

I thought Bruno's comment about feeling like he was watching small parts of the same story everytime Maks and Meryl danced this season was interesting and likely what Maks was going for. Unless I am remembering incorrectly, both of Meryl's costumes tonight were different colored versions of costumes she wore before - the AT costume was just a red version of the black tango costume and the freestyle was a lighter color version of the rumba dress. Of course, Bruno says "concept album" and someone else says "the same dance every week." But I am with Bruno.

Edited by TeeM
  • Love 4

Just like I thought, that Maks and Meryl freestyle was a straight rip-off of Kellie and Derek's.  From the lighting to the costumes -- it was the same thing.  Only different was the song which was playing up to the shippers.  But you know what they say -- imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Other than both being contemporary without gimmicks I didn't see many similarities between Meryl and Maks's freestyle and Kellie and Derek's. Both dances have a completely different moves and a completely different feel to them. I rewatched Kellie's and I just don't see how Meryl's was a ripoff of it.

• Love 10

I thought Amy was amazing in the rope dance,but

Meryl was way better in terms of well, you know, actually dancing.

Ah, dancing on a dance competition show.  Good point, good point?  I can see where you're going with this.

• Love 3

Derek is so clever that he shocks me every time. I swear me must play chess or something. It's like he knew that he did the stripped down freestyle, then he lulls you into a false sense of security and then pulls out the rope from Pink's last 3 award show performances. 

I happen to agree with Len, but I also think the stunt went with the theme of the song so... I voted for Maks and Meryl because I"m a fan of her and her journey. 

I've seen all the debate between Maks and Derek on this particular message board and I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 of them plus Mark wasn't back next season. With that in mind, count me in for saying to watch out for Val because he's proven with Zendaya and Meryl that his choreography is nothing to be messed with. Also, if they get Artem as a pro next year I'm sure he'll be interesting to watch, since he already has a fan base from SYTYCD and the british version of the show. 

• Love 1