Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08 Come, Clad in Peace

• Start Topic

(edited)

Never mind. I was confused about the episode title but a Google search tells me that all the episode titles come from a Maya Angelou poem. How very Oprah.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 1
(edited)

Someone years ago once told me that white people in the South today are very lucky.  She said black people could have killed every single white person in the south.  It's not a good idea to beat and degrade people who cook your food and take care of your children.  Shit could have been done en masse and history might have been very different. 

ETA:  You go Darla, I’ve been tired of RA and his nonsense for a long time.

Question, Why was RA allowed to bring a stranger to Vi’s party, but Darla wasn’t allowed to be there.  That’s fucked up.

Vi, don’t tell that dude you have Lupus, just tell him it’s the change.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4

I feel like a whole lotta nothing happened in the ep for the most part. I did enjoy Darla reading Ralph Angel about her parents helping her. 

I officially don't care about Micah and his new crew. It just doesn't interest me.

The promo for next week looks good.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I feel like a whole lotta nothing happened in the ep for the most part.

Yup. Other than the RA/Darla scenes, they might as well have had all the characters just say the word "Filler" throughout the whole ep.

I love that Darla is finally standing up to RA, and called him out on his hypocrisy a little bit. I wanted her to say so much more though. If it wasn't for RA's daddy, he would be in a worse position than Darla ever was. Darla's addiction was the blame for her downfall. RA was just a lowdown criminal, stealing because he wanted to, not because he needed to.

When he said "What if you lose your job again?" , I have no clue why she didn't respond with "The only reason why I lost my last job was to help you out, RA.So seeing as we are not together anymore, I have no threat to my job security".

Next week does look good as hell, except for the Nova/Remy trash. 

• Love 9

So Micah and the Woke kids want to commit vandalism and risk going to jail. Backfire is written all over their idea.

If RA really wanted to makeover Blue’s room, it looks like two or three days work to clear out the room, scrubs the floors and coat it with floor wax or a few rugs and paint the room. If he had time for his hookups and dates, he definitely had time to makeover Blue’s room. He was fine with the room and house overall until he went to Darla’s place. The whole time he was there, you could see jealously on his face. If he’s upset with the condition of his home, that’s completely on him. He’s been there for a year now. Enough time had passed for him to do something.

Glad Darla is not holding back anymore and her mind is clear of drugs and being with RA. That time spent with her parents was very good for her.  

There goes Vi’s chances at having her own business. Weird how she told Nova she didn’t want to show any weakness but tells that guy her medical condition. Sure she had to explain what happened because he would’ve asked eventually but Vi should've said she was so excited and overworked herself prepping her business proposal and didn’t eat or as it’s been said going through the change.

3 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I love that Darla is finally standing up to RA, and called him out on his hypocrisy a little bit. I wanted her to say so much more though. If it wasn't for RA's daddy, he would be in a worse position than Darla ever was. Darla's addiction was the blame for her downfall. RA was just a lowdown criminal, stealing because he wanted to, not because he needed to.

Also if it wasn't for Vi and especially Charley he would be in a worst position, too.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Dee said:

I love Mr. Prosper.

Me too. He makes me think of my grandpop, who was one of my favorite people.

1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

So Micah and the Woke kids want to commit vandalism and risk going to jail. Backfire is written all over their idea.

If RA really wanted to makeover Blue’s room, it looks like two or three days work to clear out the room, scrubs the floors and coat it with floor wax or a few rugs and paint the room. If he had time for his hookups and dates, he definitely had time to makeover Blue’s room. He was fine with the room and house overall until he went to Darla’s place. The whole time he was there, you could see jealously on his face. If he’s upset with the condition of his home, that’s completely on him. He’s been there for a year now. Enough time had passed for him to do something.

Glad Darla is not holding back anymore and her mind is clear of drugs and being with RA. That time spent with her parents was very good for her.  

There goes Vi’s chances at having her own business. Weird how she told Nova she didn’t want to show any weakness but tells that guy her medical condition. Sure she had to explain what happened because he would’ve asked eventually but Vi should've said she was so excited and overworked herself prepping her business proposal and didn’t eat or as it’s been said going through the change.

Also if it wasn't for Vi and especially Charley he would be in a worst position, too.

The notion that RA is this self-made independent dude is just nonsense. His family supports him just like Darla's does, just not monetarily. He lives in his father's house and his father and aunt supported Blue when he was in jail. That doesn't mean he doesn't work hard, but the notion that he's doing everything on his own is just straight-up false.

• Love 16
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

12 hours ago, Dee said:

I love Mr. Prosper.

So do I , Mr. Prosper reminds me of my uncle. I love the admiration, love and respect the family extends to him. Charley has such a good heart and a lot of courage. I'm not feeling Micah and his group of militant friends, he's headed for serious trouble. Darla, you go girl, she's not taking any crap from RA. I love how she quietly and sternly defends herself. It may be the best thing that Vi told  her business partner about her illness. Now she'll be free to open her own shop. I hope he bowes out her contract and she and Hollywood can invest on their own. ALL THINGS WORK TO THE GOOD..

Edited by byrd
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Someone years ago once told me that white people in the South today are very lucky.  She said black people could have killed every single white person in the south.  It's not a good idea to beat and degrade people who cook your food and take care of your children.  Shit could have been done en masse and history might have been very different. 

ETA:  You go Darla, I’ve been tired of RA and his nonsense for a long time.

Question, Why was RA allowed to bring a stranger to Vi’s party, but Darla wasn’t allowed to be there.  That’s fucked up.

Vi, don’t tell that dude you have Lupus, just tell him it’s the change.

Not sure about that analogy because blacks were mentally enslaved. Fear of being lynched, whipped, and separated from your family was a reason not to revolt. I'm sure there were some that tried to take revenge , but running North was the only option they really had. So many died trying to get there.  I have lived in the south all of my life. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Forgot to mention a minor thing that bugs me nowadays:

RA to Trinh: Do you mind if I sit with you?

Trinh to RA: Yeah, c'mon.  (Trinh slides over to let RA sit)

She should have said No, I don't mind and slid over. Saying yes means you DO mind them sitting with you and they need to get the hell on. I hate that so many TV shows get this wrong these days.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

Forgot to mention a minor thing that bugs me nowadays;

RA to Trinh: Do you mind if I sit with you?

Trinh to RA: Yeah, c'mon.  (Trinh slides over to let RA sit)

She should have said No, I don't mind and slid over. Saying yes means you DO mind them sitting with you and they need to get the hell on. I hate that so many TV shows get this wrong these days.

Yep. you're REAL bothered aren't you .. Lol !!  (funny , I get it ) 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

The notion that RA is this self-made independent dude is just nonsense. His family supports him just like Darla's does, just not monetarily. He lives in his father's house and his father and aunt supported Blue when he was in jail. That doesn't mean he doesn't work hard, but the notion that he's doing everything on his own is just straight-up false.

I was so happy Darla checked him on that cause he was all puffed up trying to run her down about her recent accomplishments. I get that he's still hurt by the revelation about Blue but I feel like he's being nothing but petty towards her in that he wants her to fail so he can not only keep Blue full-time but also lord it over her in some way.

Between Remy and Ralph Angel when it comes to judgment, I am tired. I wish the show would explore that toxic masculinity more but I don't get the impression that the writers even see Remy and Ralhp Angel behavior as problematic. Same with twitter. I know some think Darla deserves RA's pissy behavior but I am not one. Her addiction issues are her everlasting demon and she's made some bad choices due to them but she's trying her best to be better and I can't help but admire her willingness to get strong & healthy for herself and her son. Plus, she's not trying to be cruel to RA; she just wants a mature co-parenting relationship [for now].

10 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

they might as well have had all the characters just say the word "Filler" throughout the whole ep.

Sometimes the pacing of this show concerns me. It's not completely messy with pacing like The Quad but they could easily tighten some things up so that the drama evens out better. This ep had so much filler and it seemed to end earlier than usual. I thought S3 had fixed a lot of the pacing issues I felt plagued S2 but it obviously can still be an issue. I have a few friends who quit watching during S2 cause of the off pacing, the consistently depressing overall tone, and as one buddy called it, an attempt at an overwrought negro spiritual instead of story. I am trying to get that to tune in to S3 and give the show another chance.

As an aside, I put the promo for 3x09 in the media thread as I wasn't sure where it should go.  I'm hoping for some good payoff and drama for the next ep. 

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Chick2Chic said:

I was so happy Darla checked him on that cause he was all puffed up trying to run her down about her recent accomplishments. I get that he's still hurt by the revelation about Blue but I feel like he's being nothing but petty towards her in that he wants her to fail so he can not only keep Blue full-time but also lord it over her in some way.

Between Remy and Ralph Angel when it comes to judgment, I am tired. I wish the show would explore that toxic masculinity more but I don't get the impression that the writers even see Remy and Ralhp Angel behavior as problematic. Same with twitter. I know some think Darla deserves RA's pissy behavior but I am not one. Her addiction issues are her everlasting demon and she's made some bad choices due to them but she's trying her best to be better and I can't help but admire her willingness to get strong & healthy for herself and her son. Plus, she's not trying to be cruel to RA; she just wants a mature co-parenting relationship [for now].

Sometimes the pacing of this show concerns me. It's not completely messy with pacing like The Quad but they could easily tighten some things up so that the drama evens out better. This ep had so much filler and it seemed to end earlier than usual. I thought S3 had fixed a lot of the pacing issues I felt plagued S2 but it obviously can still be an issue. I have a few friends who quit watching during S2 cause of the off pacing, the consistently depressing overall tone, and as one buddy called it, an attempt at an overwrought negro spiritual instead of story. I am trying to get that to tune in to S3 and give the show another chance.

As an aside, I put the promo for 3x09 in the media thread as I wasn't sure where it should go.  I'm hoping for some good payoff and drama for the next ep. 

Yes, this episode barely held my interest.  I did enjoy the scenes with Mr. Prosper.. I am impatiently waiting on Greenleaf . Bring on the "'Church Mess"

Edited by byrd
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, byrd said:

Not sure about that analogy because blacks were mentally enslaved. Fear of being lynched, whipped, and separated from your family was a reason not to revolt. I'm sure there were some that tried to take revenge , but running North was the only option they really had. So many died trying to get there.  I have lived in the south all of my life. 

I believe the comment referred to the time before the Civil War.  Slaves were lynched, whipped and separated from families.  If someone feels they have nothing to lose, why should they care about your life?

I actually cherred when Darla called RA out on his bullshit when he was going on about how Darla was getting help from her parents. "Did you pay for YOUR house?" That was awesome. Ralph Angel trying to make himself out to be some kind of self made man is just so ridiculous. His dad left him the house and farm, probably because he thought that RA wouldn't be able to get his own life together, he has been supported constantly by his family and community, who help him with Blue, money, and are constantly building his ego up, who is he to get on his high horse? 

I dont see things going well for Micah and his new Woke friends at all. Cant they do something to stick it to this place that isnt actually illegal? Or focus on any of the other billion problems that black people are facing everyday beyond some assholes doing historical cosplay? Not that the place isnt creepy and it deserves to be called out, but there has to be something better they could be doing about it. I do agree on the eye brow raising at people taking selfies at tragic historical sites or in front of memorials. I've totally seen people do that, and its SO tacky. 

I love Prosper. He is just such a calm, wise presence throughout the show, especially in the middle of all the family/business drama. I also liked the whole sequence of Nova burying her dads picture in the field. 

This episode seemed pretty filler, waiting to get to next week. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I believe the comment referred to the time before the Civil War.  Slaves were lynched, whipped and separated from families.  If someone feels they have nothing to lose, why should they care about your life?

Absolutely , but if they could not revolt when they were chained and loaded onto the slave ships from their own country , chances are they would not in a foreign land. Keep in mind that their own people turned on them as well, there is no way white men could invade and captured them without some inside help.  Many slaves poisoned their slave masters, some would even grind up glass so fine and put in their food, many things were done in rebellion, but the best thing was to head north for any chance of freedom. It was to no avail to do all of these things and still remain in the south , even after the Civil war blacks were still being lynched and whipped in the South if they were caught unprotected.  Vigilantes Justice was rampant and had no respect for the law. True they had nothing to lose, but everything to fight for to survive. Thank God that they did.

• Love 6

So what is RA sulking about now? Because Darla is getting herself together and has every right to want to see more of her son? Wait until she discovers he had a DNA test and has known for a while that he is not Blu's father. He should be treading very lightly with Darla. 

I thought it was really sweet for Charley to take Mr. Prosper in to her home. I have to admit when he was sleeping in the chair and Charley went over to him I thought he was dead!

• Love 10
5 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

So what is RA sulking about now? Because Darla is getting herself together and has every right to want to see more of her son? Wait until she discovers he had a DNA test and has known for a while that he is not Blu's father. He should be treading very lightly with Darla. 

I thought it was really sweet for Charley to take Mr. Prosper in to her home. I have to admit when he was sleeping in the chair and Charley went over to him I thought he was dead!

Me too! I was like, Ava bet’ not! I was relieved when he woke up.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's amazing that despite their various issues, Nova and Charley are able to work as a fairly seamless team.

And as usual, when there is real work to be done, Ralph Angel is nowhere to be found.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1

RA new girlfriend must be a real winner. Why would anyone want to start a relationship and continue it with a complete downer like RA? 

I'm thinking RA must have a third leg because otherwise I don't know why Trinh--or any woman who's got it even halfway going on--would put up with his self-centered, the-world-owes-me behavior. Even when things are going okay for him he acts like he's losing.

• Love 4
On 7/19/2018 at 12:35 PM, Chick2Chic said:

I saw that hate and shade thrown at Darla on Twitter but nothing for RA. I laughed. Darla will never win with some people and RA can do nothing wrong. 

On 7/19/2018 at 1:44 PM, byrd said:

Yes, this episode barely held my interest.  I did enjoy the scenes with Mr. Prosper.. I am impatiently waiting on Greenleaf . Bring on the "'Church Mess"

Me, too. I'm still mad at the Bishop at the finale. 

On 7/19/2018 at 9:50 PM, tennisgurl said:

I dont see things going well for Micah and his new Woke friends at all. Cant they do something to stick it to this place that isnt actually illegal? Or focus on any of the other 

I wonder when the Woke kids are caught who will talk first and how much heat will Micah take.

On 7/20/2018 at 3:56 PM, bichonblitz said:

:raises hand: I thought Prosper was dead, too. 

19 hours ago, Dee said:

It's amazing that despite their various issues, Nova and Charley are able to work as a fairly seamless team.

You know that's over next week. :(  It's a shame, too.

5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm thinking RA must have a third leg because otherwise I don't know why Trinh--or any woman who's got it even halfway going on--would put up with his self-centered, the-world-owes-me behavior. Even when things are going okay for him he acts like he's losing.

RA is one of those men who have a lot baggage and should be avoided like the plague but can continously get women. Trinh really should avoid RA since he's her employee. If things go sour for them, it could be a loss of possible income for RA.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 7/19/2018 at 5:52 AM, Arcadiasw said:

I'm OK with Vi telling the truth about her illness because it's slowly cracking the "strong Black woman" facade that I hate, but what's bugging me about her business plan is that she didn't even have Charley look it over! Like, you have a successful businesswoman in your family. Before you sign/pitch anything, have your niece look it over to make sure that your interests are being met. 

Good on Darla for checking RA about her parents helping her. She doesn't know what it means to be tired. Um, you put yourself in this mess, RA! He had the same opportunities that Nova and Charley had, he just chose to go left and make his life harder than it should've been. He can miss me with his self-righteousness.

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 3
On 7/18/2018 at 7:12 PM, Neurochick said:

Why was RA allowed to bring a stranger to Vi’s party, but Darla wasn’t allowed to be there.  That’s fucked up.

Because you're "family" until you hurt poor li'l RA's feelings.  Then you can go to Hell.

On 7/18/2018 at 10:58 PM, AgentRXS said:

When he said "What if you lose your job again?" , I have no clue why she didn't respond with "The only reason why I lost my last job was to help you out, RA.So seeing as we are not together anymore, I have no threat to my job security".

The reason she doesn't have her LAST job is because Charlie jumped on the "poor li'l RA -- Darla can go to Hell" train.  Darla lost her job before that because poor li'l RA guilted her into helping him out.  As long as she doesn't have to depend on any of the Bordelons, she should be OK.

On 7/19/2018 at 4:53 AM, Empress1 said:

His family supports him just like Darla's does, just not monetarily.

Charlie has supported him monetarily as well.

On 7/20/2018 at 12:56 PM, bichonblitz said:

I have to admit when he was sleeping in the chair and Charley went over to him I thought he was dead!

Same.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, Sheenieb said:

I'm OK with Vi telling the truth about her illness because it's slowly cracking the "strong Black woman" facade that I hate, but what's bugging me about her business plan is that she didn't even have Charley look it over! Like, you have a successful businesswoman in your family. Before you sign/pitch anything, have your niece look it over to make sure that you're interests are being met. 

Good on Darla for checking RA about her parents helping her. She doesn't know what it means to be tired. Um, you put yourself in this mess, RA! He had the same opportunities that Nova and Charley had, he just chose to go left and make his life harder than it should've been. He can miss me with his self-righteousness.

I think Vi should've waited until her business venture got rolling and everything was signed before disclosing her illness. Now Vi risks losing a chance to start her own business. She could still do it with Hollywood's money and Charley's business advice but she doesn't want to depend on them and it may be a longer road without the other guy's influence and connections. 

You make a good point how Vi didn't consult Charley over the contracts or her presentation.  She went over the presentation with the workers at High Yellow. They're her friends and not people who are in business. I don't think they will pick up on things Charley would, and with how Vi acts with Charley at times, she might not want her advice even if she is right. 

3 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I think Vi should've waited until her business venture got rolling and everything was signed before disclosing her illness. Now Vi risks losing a chance to start her own business. She could still do it with Hollywood's money and Charley's business advice but she doesn't want to depend on them and it may be a longer road without the other guy's influence and connections. 

You make a good point how Vi didn't consult Charley over the contracts or her presentation.  She went over the presentation with the workers at High Yellow. They're her friends and not people who are in business. I don't think they will pick up on things Charley would, and with how Vi acts with Charley at times, she might not want her advice even if she is right. 

I think Vi would be willing to let Charley look things over, she did it before for Vi and things went very well. You're right, she needs to consult her.