Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E08: Week 8: Hometown Dates

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Survivor was the very first reality show, it was such an amazing ground breaker at the time.

The Real World was the first reality show.  It debuted eight years before Survivor premiered.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

The Real World was the first reality show.  It debuted eight years before Survivor premiered.

What channel? I don't get any cable stations, and many people didn't have cable back then. Survivor was/is CBS, a network station. I've never seen The Real World. Not that it matters. I guess I'll change that to Survivor was the first reality show everyone was able to view -- without paying for it.

• Love 2

Technically, An American Family was probably the first reality show, back in the 70s/80s? It followed the life of, well, an American family. lol

Survivor, I believe, was the first competition reality show? Though there was American Gladiator. IDK if that would be considered a reality show though.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Arkay said:

I agree about helmet hair, because it's that packed down hair you'd get after removing a helmet. 

That’s called hat hair in MMLland.

“My comment was more of an implication that her hairstyle looked like she still had a helmet on....a huge encompassing thing stuck all around her head.”

MMLizens call that helmet hair too. Or “why is this small scruffy creature sleeping on my head” hair.

Not watching this season but enjoying the commentary and glad to see the extended fams are still putting themselves out there so their sons can be embarrassed by them once the show is over!

• Love 3

I like Garrett, Jason and Blake.  Garrett seems to have family money with that big agriculture business.  Jason is a top contender.  He's a sexy guy and a great job Corporate Banker.  Blake was never on top of my list as the season moves forward but here he is.

Colton seemed to keep coming up with something.  Tia, virginity..what next.  I liked him but find him a bit unsettled for engagement and marriage. 

Do you think one of these top three will be the next Bachelor if not chosen?  Long ago the Bachelor was always some new guy.  A surprise.  Now they seem to give it to one of those not chosen.  I think I liked the new fellow idea better.

But go Bachelor Nation!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ByTor said:

I'm curious about how many episodes of Bachelor/Bachelorette there are in a season vs Survivor.  For some reason I thought Bachelor was on way before Survivor, but Wiki tells me Survivor started in 1997 and The Bachelor in 2002.

The American series of Survivor did not air until 2000. c/-Wiki:

Survivor is the American version of the international Survivor reality competition television franchise, itself derived from the Swedish television series Expedition Robinson created by Charlie Parsons which premiered in 1997. The American series premiered on May 31, 2000, on CBS. It is hosted by television personality Jeff Probst, who is also an executive producer along withMark Burnett and original creator, Parsons.

I have watched both shows since they started... (What a life!) The Bach used to be quite a catch -  rich, accomplished, classically goodlooking, maybe a prince! Now it's some sales rep wearing shoes without socks. The thought that it might be greasy Colton with his goddam virginity sales-point... makes me angry she cut him, foisting him on us like that.

I had forgotten until someone here pointed it out, it was Trista who started the Bachelor handshake tradition. Tiny tiny Trista, who leapt onto tall strong fireman Ryan. Becca is slim but she's not a tiny woman and I fear for these men's backs every time she flings herself enthusiastically onto them.

But both Survivor and the early Bachelor and Bachelorette series were so good. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That made me laugh, but also made me think about his trips to the bank. So I looked it up. Chris Harrison is reported to have a net worth of $16 million, but he is one of the lowest-paid hosts at ONLY $60,000 per episode while Jeff Probst makes $200,000 per for Survivor. I think CH is ahead though since he basically has to do nothing except travel the world on the company dime and tap on a wine glass a couple of times. Meanwhile, JP has to spent time in some hot, sweaty bug-infested place ... when he's not in his luxury hotel room. CH might have gotten paid more for having to endure the Colton FS speech though. At least if I were him, I would have had my agent negotiate that.

But Chris ALSO hosts "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", which he does 5 days a week.   So his Bachelor & associated gigs are just part-time cash.  He's got it made.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, violet and green said:
7 hours ago, ByTor said:

I'm curious about how many episodes of Bachelor/Bachelorette there are in a season vs Survivor.  For some reason I thought Bachelor was on way before Survivor, but Wiki tells me Survivor started in 1997 and The Bachelor in 2002.

The American series of Survivor did not air until 2000. c/-Wiki

I guess I should have read the article :)  But I'm still wrong, Survivor was before The Bachelor.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Do you think one of these top three will be the next Bachelor if not chosen?  Long ago the Bachelor was always some new guy.  A surprise.  Now they seem to give it to one of those not chosen.  I think I liked the new fellow idea better.

I continue suggesting Eric from Rachel's season, in hopes that TPTB will take notice!  He had a personality, nice-looking, seemed like a good guy who thrived in spite of a very difficult upbringing, and at least to me, he seemed to mature during the season.

• Love 3

Personally, I think all the Bachelor leads should be over 30. In fact, I think most of the men on this show should be in their 30s (28-29 minimum). At least then there's the ghost of a chance of a committed relationship actually happening. When you bring on a bunch of guys in their mid-20s--apparently not so much. That's my opinion. YMMV

• Love 14
57 minutes ago, adhoc said:

Personally, I think all the Bachelor leads should be over 30. In fact, I think most of the men on this show should be in their 30s (28-29 minimum). At least then there's the ghost of a chance of a committed relationship actually happening. When you bring on a bunch of guys in their mid-20s--apparently not so much. That's my opinion. YMMV

Interesting point...makes a lot of sense.  Jason (he still counts) and JP were older, as are Arie and Bryan (if they make it to the altar).  Ryan was 28, Sean was 30, and Chris was 29 when they got married.  Shawn was 28 when he ended up with Kaitlyn, and Jordan was 27 when he ended up with JoJo.   [Ages are not exact to the day]

• Love 2
18 hours ago, leighdear said:

But Chris ALSO hosts "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", which he does 5 days a week.   So his Bachelor & associated gigs are just part-time cash.  He's got it made.  

Not to mention he is an author....

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, call me ishmael said:

Not to mention he is an author....

And I actually bought his book.  *LOL*  It wasn't bad, but I think he had uncredited collaborators to help him.  I adore Chris, so I'm just happy seeing his handsome face wherever it is!  

• Love 1
On 7/16/2018 at 7:50 PM, saber5055 said:

Blake gets the Bachelor Handshake. Did Garrett or Jason? I missed it if so. Blake stands under cover while he makes Becca run to him, through snow and in heels. Nice job, douche.

Now it's a high school visit. Please. That's an auto NO THANKS if any guy wants to take me back to his freaking high school. Gah.

The answer is yes, they all got the pleasure of having Becca’s vag smack them on the belly button. 

I agree with you. Any guy who can’t let high school go is annoying. I don’t understand the high school tours on this show. Unfortunately, I’ve met men in their 40’s who still can’t stop talking about their high school glory days. It’s fucking ridiculous. 

I kind of hate that Blake outed his mom on television about her affair. That must be very embarrassing for her. Who knows what was happening in her marriage that made her seek out the coach? No excuses for her but shit, that’s a huge family secret and it seems like if you give a single rat’s ass about your mother then you wouldn’t tell her secret to everyone just so some bitch will feel sorry for you. I wonder how she responded to that episode.

Knowing me, I’d probably pick Blake because he has crazy potential. It’s a curse. 

• Love 8
23 hours ago, violet and green said:

But both Survivor and the early Bachelor and Bachelorette series were so good. 

Oh, I know. Weren't they though? Now it's such mind-numbing dreck. Snarkable though, it's the only thing that saves it (for me).

• Love 3

Colton is kind of a saint and I’m not sure why Becca would give up a heart like his for stupid Tia. They aren’t childhood friends. She just met the bitch and I doubt they keep in touch. Becca doesn’t like him because he has no experience. What an idiotic reason to dump someone. You don’t have a dirty dick so I’m breaking up with you. Sounds sane. But I’m convinced that’s her real reason. Beside the fact that she had her heart set on Garrett from the start.

I agree with @adhoc. The men should have a fully developed frontal lobe before they’re allowed on the show. The downside is that then they will cast 20 year old girls for the older men and it will piss me off. I’d like to see a bachelor in his forties just for fun. 

• Love 5

Colton is like a lobotomized Labrador Retriever puppy, cute in a fluffy adolescent way but not really all connected up in the brain. The virginity thing is a great little branding move, gives him a story so he gets more talking head time, differentiates him from the rest of the body waxed meatheads. In real life it’s not cute. Man whores are gross and I think a person who handles sexuality responsibly is cool. I won’t knock virginity if it’s something you value, but don’t let it become A Thing. Some of these Bachelor virgins get so caught up in the virginity that they don’t develop any other relationship skills and get stuck at an immature level of their development. I’m far more turned off by the boyishness than the lack of sexual experience.

Can we bring back Leo? A grown man, thoughtful, no drama. Nawww, doesn’t make for good TV.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, violet and green said:

Byron Velvick was around 40 in his season. The women were older than the current last few seasons' women. It was fantastic!

I'd love to get an older bachelor/bachelorette.  That was a fun season and I would love to see some mature women on this show for a change.  Tired of the screeching in the limos while driving up to meet the bachelor, the screaming and jumping on beds in hotels when they arrive, and hopefully, get rid of the "like" word they use every two seconds.  Of course, the wine companies wouldn't like it because drinking wine during these shows helps me get through them without damaging my TV set.

• Love 6

In Jason's case however, that was a rental house,  His parents live in South Carolina and he lives in Seattle, but grew up in the Buffalo area, so they wanted that for his "story".  Thus, they rented a house for them to gather at. 

Awwww .... I'm so disappointed!  I live near Buffalo and it was exciting having a "local" boy do good.  Next you'll tell me that the cute gay married brother is just a straight single actor.