Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E06: Academy 2 2018.07.16

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 7/20/2018 at 3:34 PM, mojoween said:

I love Emily and feel like she’s getting the judges pet edit which normally drives me bonkers but not this time. 

I know what you mean because I hate when they pick a favorite during the auditions too.  But I feel like a hypocrite because I don't mind with Emily.  Contemp/ballet trained black females normally don't do well on the show.  So she's going to need all the help she can get to stay a while.  There have been black females who have done well but contemp-ballet doesn't come to mind.  And, I want her to stay a while so that I can see "what she's got".  I hope she doesn't disappoint like the other highly trained ballet/contemp dancers that the show manipulates to make us think they've conquered the other styles.

ETA:  s2 Donyelle was more jazz, s3 Sabra was a dark horse and not as trained, s6 Ellenore was more jazz, s8 love Sasha but she doesn't bring "dainty" to mind, s10 Jasmine is just as much hip hop.

Edited by crossover
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/21/2018 at 2:43 PM, crossover said:

I know what you mean because I hate when they pick a favorite during the auditions too.  But I feel like a hypocrite because I don't mind with Emily.  Contemp/ballet trained black females normally don't do well on the show.  So she's going to need all the help she can get to stay a while.  There have been black females who have done well but contemp-ballet doesn't come to mind.  And, I want her to stay a while so that I can see "what she's got".  I hope she doesn't disappoint like the other highly trained ballet/contemp dancers that the show manipulates to make us think they've conquered the other styles.

ETA:  s2 Donyelle was more jazz, s3 Sabra was a dark horse and not as trained, s6 Ellenore was more jazz, s8 love Sasha but she doesn't bring "dainty" to mind, s10 Jasmine is just as much hip hop.

I don't think Emily got the pet edit.  I'm not even sure that she's going to make top 10.  I see her a little better than Sasha technique-wise but her technique isn't as strong as some other contemporary girls.  Out of those that you listed, I really like Ellenore and Jasmine.  Donyelle was fun too.  I was rooting for Danny during Sabra's season.

This season out of the non-white girls, I like Hannahlei.  The show didn't feature Chelsea or Dayna enough for me to get a sense of how good they are.

The person that got the pet edit was Tessa.  I'm in the minority since I did like her original audition.  I think her academy audition was good but I wouldn't have said it was the best.  They showed Darius' academy audition and his was miles better.  They didn't show his audition this year but he did have a good judges audition last year. 

Tessa's hip-hop was a disaster and then I can see how she didn't pick up choreography as fast as others.  I thought she did better in the contemporary round than Genessy.  The latter really messed up in that round so I don't know how she got to the top 20.  I see Tessa as somebody that probably went to a ballet/contemporary studio.  She has really pretty feet.  She probably didn't go to the conventions that competition girls do.  That's why she can't pick up other styles/choreography as quickly.  Her solos are fine since she has months to work on those.

ETA - I also think Jensen got a pet edit.  I was rooting for Allen since he's been trying for so long.  I think he should have made it over Kiki last year.  They both did terrible at hip-hop but at least, he did something.  I think Kiki did nothing during the academy hip-hop round.  I will say that Kiki improved in hip-hop a lot since his last hip-hop duet with Lex wasn't that bad.  I think Allen is a really good ballroom dancer but Cole is more cross trained and did better in the other styles.  I think Allen was desperate since Nigel kept saying that Cole was ranked higher in this mind.  Yikes to Allen's solo!!  Sorry, but he blew it with that solo and I don't think he'll make top 10.  He was going to lose the ballroom guy spot to Cole anyway because of versatility.  But now, everyone will probably remember that disastrous solo when/if he auditions again.

Edited by realdancemom

I'm very disappointed at this latest "surprise" in the show's format.  It is almost a bait a switch routine.  I still long for the days when there were no All-stars and the Top 20 had to pair up and make or break each other. Those were the show's golden seasons.  I suspect, however, that given SYTYCD's low ratings over the past few years, Fox has increasingly put constraints on Nigel and the show runners in terms of time allowed per season and that has led to the constant changes in format. You have to wonder about how much more tinkering the producers can do before SYTYCD is barely recognizable.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I don't think Emily got the pet edit.  I'm not even sure that she's going to make top 10.  I see her a little better than Sasha technique-wise but her technique isn't as strong as some other contemporary girls.  Out of those that you listed, I really like Ellenore and Jasmine.  Donyelle was fun too.  I was rooting for Danny during Sabra's season.

I was just listing the ones who made it to the end.  I enjoyed all of them.  I'll never forget Mary telling Donyelle that she didn't belong.  But Lacey was my S3 pick.  I thought she was more versatile and fun.  In fact, I think she's part of the reason why people started supporting Danny.

So you think Sasha and Emily are about the same when it comes to technique?  I'll have to look at Emily again but I love Sasha.  Unlike Melanie, she was so versatile.

(edited)
19 minutes ago, crossover said:

I was just listing the ones who made it to the end.  I enjoyed all of them.  I'll never forget Mary telling Donyelle that she didn't belong.  But Lacey was my S3 pick.  I thought she was more versatile and fun.  In fact, I think she's part of the reason why people started supporting Danny.

So you think Sasha and Emily are about the same when it comes to technique?  I'll have to look at Emily again but I love Sasha.  Unlike Melanie, she was so versatile.

No.  I think Emily is better than Sasha technique-wise if I'm remembering correctly.  This was during Sasha's season and not any improvements that she has made.  I remember thinking that Comfort didn't have good Classical technique but she's a lot better now.  However, technique-wise, I don't think Comfort is as good with contemporary technique as somebody like Allison Holker.  But then Comfort would dominate a hip-hop battle against Allison.

Speaking of Melanie and pet edits, that would be Melanie.  They didn't push her hard enough in other styles.  I wanted Marko to win that year.  I thought he was the most versatile out of the four.  But Marko is not Nigel's/judges pet.

ETA - For winners, I liked Ellenore but was rooting for Jakob during Season 6.  During Jasmine's season, I wanted her to win and during Season 2, I liked Donyelle but was rooting for Benji or Travis.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 2