Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

S01.E08: Rad Fatties

15 hours ago, msrachelj said:

why did the show have a disclaimer (spoiler!) that something like "this program contains a sexual assault ......" why did they need to do that? are we going to be coddled and warned of every bad thing that happens on tv shows now? not to mention that it came on about 3 minutes before the end of the show when plum was raped so no surprises there.

does every cop show have disclaimers about rape, murder, child abuse etc. fucking crazy. are we adults or not? children shouldn't be watching this show if that's what they were going after. i don't get it. 

I'm going to call it the suburban helicopter mom syndrome infecting the mainstream. I'm a woman but I've got a problem when women's influence in media, politics, business leans so heavily to an overbearing mom baby talking a toddler. Did we get a disclaimer when Plum was knocked flat and laid out vulnerable on the streets of New York?

Plum is becoming more unbearable every episode. She's like this kid cartoon called Clarence. I HATE the character. He's stupid and causes misery for all those around him.

Well, due to her "empowering" fashion choices, Plum really looked like a freaking plum walking down the street.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, BooBear said:

Absolutely.  I think this show fails on all levels.  I feel like episodes 1-4 were good but then it all went down hill fast. Like maybe they let new people take over.

That happens with a lot of series lately.   Where character development is concerned, writers seem to be far more concerned with "drama" than "logic".  In order for me to be emotionally invested in any character, I have to understand why the character is doing what he or she is doing.  That is where this series falls flat.    At this point in the series, I am asking myself why is Plum doing one idiotic thing after another? I do believe she is bipolar.  That is an assumption on my part given all of the extensive reading I have done on the subject. 

How is it that Plum can be a fully functional adult, having the ability to communicate with other adults without any social awkwardness whatsoever, but then act like such a child when it comes to her personal life.

Her mom appears to be "normal" from an emotional standpoint.   We don't know anything about her dad.  We don't know anything about her parent's family histories.  I don't even know if Plum has any siblings. 

7 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

Im going to call it the suburban helicopter mom syndrome infecting the mainstream. I'm a woman but I've got a problem when women's influence in media, politics, business leans so heavily to an overbearing mom baby talking a toddler. Did we get a disclaimer when Plum was knocked flat and laid out vulnerable on the streets of New York?

If there is any animal related violence on any series, I want to know about that upfront.  I want that disclaimer.  I won't watch any series that has that type of content.  I do love animals.

Plum didn't deserve to get punched, but she did escalate the situation which resulted in her getting punched.  It wasn't as though she was walking down the street and out of the blue someone decked her.

Plum is becoming more unbearable every episode. She's like this kid cartoon called Clarence. I HATE the character. He's stupid and causes misery for all those around him.

Plum is emotionally constipated.  Most people when things go sour in their lives, they just let it flow down stream and not allow it to affect them.  Plum is all dammed up.   If she could get to the root causes of her problems, she would be fine.  That is yet another reason why I keep bitching about the lack of flashback episodes into Plum's childhood.  She is like a child who has been tormented so badly over a prolonged period of time that she had become stuck in "flight" mode.  Now as an adult, she is trying to "fight" back and the results are all sorts of horrible.

Above and beyond that,  Verena treating Plum as nothing more than a lab experiment isn't helping any.

Well, due to her "empowering" fashion choices, Plum really looked like a freaking plum walking down the street.

Given Plum's size, her options are limited.

ETA:  I like the Steven character a lot.  I think they should have built the series around him instead of Plum.  Of course the title of the series would have to change.

Edited by icemiser69 · Reason: I keep getting logged out and as a result have to edit after I post.

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Plum didn't deserve to get punched, but she did escalate the situation which resulted in her getting punched.  It wasn't as though she was walking down the street and out of the blue someone decked her.

Plum is emotionally constipated.  Most people when things go sour in their lives, they just let it flow down stream and not allow it to affect them.  Plum is all dammed up.   If she could get to the root causes of her problems, she would be fine.  That is yet another reason why I keep bitching about the lack of flashback episodes into Plum's childhood.  She is like a child who has been tormented so badly over a prolonged period of time that she had become stuck in "flight" mode.  Now as an adult, she is trying to "fight" back and the results are all sorts of horrible.

Above and beyond that,  Verena treating Plum as nothing more than a lab experiment isn't helping any.

Given Plum's size, her options are limited.

ETA:  I like the Steven character a lot.  I think they should have built the series around him instead of Plum.  Of course the title of the series would have to change.

Plum did escalate that fight. But that was a more jarring and violent assault. As for this last one, barring that disclaimer, I thought he released himself inside his jeans. Her skirt was not pulled up and her leggings were on. She's a big girl, chambers aren't instant access. Lastly it ended with him saying he loved her fat ass. So now I'm wondered if she was mostly upset because she felt insulted. And why in the midst of the Jennifer saga, Plum's recent fame which aligns her a bit with the Jennifers and new directives for women not to have sex with certain men, would this dude go after Plum like that? When did he express a death wish? 

I know Plum's big, but she's looking like a Fruit of the Loom mascot in that short animal print coat and colored leggings. 

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

Plum did escalate that fight. But that was a more jarring and violent assault. As for this last one, barring that disclaimer, I thought he released himself inside his jeans. Her skirt was not pulled up and her leggings were on. She's a big girl, chambers aren't instant access. Lastly it ended with him saying he loved her fat ass. So now I'm wondered if she was mostly upset because she felt insulted. And why in the midst of the Jennifer saga, Plum's recent fame which aligns her a bit with the Jennifers and new directives for women not to have sex with certain men, would this dude go after Plum like that? When did he express a death wish? 

I don't think that dude loves overweight women.  I think that dude loves to humiliate overweight women.  I just don't think he can help himself.  That doesn't make him any less responsible. 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2018 at 10:55 AM, 17wheatthins said:

Agree. And no one should be made to feel like they *shouldn't* wear something just because they're bigger or smaller than the "norm". Some people love to wear a lot of color. Some people love to be monochromatic. Some people are very daring with their style choices. Some are more classic or mainstream. Size should have nothing to do with it whatsoever. 

My criticism of Plum's clothing isn't based on "norm". I honestly think she looks a hot mess. I initially compared her to Cyndi Lauper because that style was also a hot mess. Nothing to do with size. A person can be classic, mainstream or daring no matter the size. However if your belly is laying on your thighs, wearing a skin tight dress just ain't cute. The issue seems to have gone from learning to accept people and combating size discrimination to the emperor has no clothes syndrome.

On 7/21/2018 at 11:44 AM, icemiser69 said:

I don't think that dude loves overweight women.  I think that dude loves to humiliate overweight women.  I just don't think he can help himself.  That doesn't make him any less responsible. 

Obviously something is wrong with him. I didn't re-watch the earlier episode, but did their date consist of more than eating at the food trucks? This show has no nuance. Just stereotypical global anvils. Maybe Plum doesn't date chubby men because that would be a fetish on her part. 

Is this show going to explore Verbena's two husbands, one of whom seems to be an emasculated Stepford husband who exists only to serve tea and crumpets?

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

My criticism of Plum's clothing isn't based on "norm". I honestly think she looks a hot mess. I initially compared her to Cyndi Lauper because that style was also a hot mess. Nothing to do with size. A person can be classic, mainstream or daring no matter the size. However if your belly is laying on your thighs, wearing a skin tight dress just ain't cute. The issue seems to have gone from learning to accept people and combating size discrimination to the emperor has no clothes syndrome.

Agreed. She looks bad lately especially since I think she looked great in the first few episodes.  But, I was under the impression that she chose that look based on the woman we saw at her Waste Watchers meeting in the first episode who was very vocal and outspoken. So I believe her dress was supposed to be a statement -- the only problem is that no one else probably gets it.  It is possible that has part of the statement she wanted to look "ugly" as sort of an in your face thing. 

• Like 3

As soon as Plum found out that the detective was married she should have been able to shrug it off and move on within a short period of time.   She can't, she is still hung up on him.  Like I said above, she is emotionally constipated.  Same thing could be said for her holding on to anger over getting fired.  She couldn't just let it rest.  She had to out herself as the woman behind the woman.  She had to lash out.

Plum is her own worst enemy.  She can't just let things go.

7 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

Any person can and should wear anything that they want to wear. Hanging stomachs or knobby knees or garish colors do not have to figure in to that decision. Plum can wear whatever she wants to, whatever makes her feel confident and happy. She can wear whatever she thinks she looks good in. 

That is all true except for one thing.  Plum cares far too much about what others think of her.  People will criticize her for what she wears, and it will bother her.  She will get pissed.

No one likes to be criticized, but Plum can't even handle constructive criticism.  She couldn't handle it when her friend Steve tried to talk to her about her weight and how she was breathing heavy.  If Steve had been a pain in the ass constantly talking to Plum about her weight, I would be on Plum's side.  But if Steve only talked to Plum about her weight only once or twice, then I am on Steve's side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

I agree that earlier in the season Plum cared too much what others thought of her, but in the last episode and a couple episodes prior, she has been dressing for herself. And she has that right. She can wear whatever makes her feel happy and confident, just like the woman she admired in the Waist Watchers meeting. 

She still has a reactive personality.  To that end, she still cares too much about what others think of her.  She needs to grow a thick skin.  She isn't in control of her emotions.

When she got punched in the face, that was because she escalated the situation.

When Plum outed herself as the woman behind the woman, she put herself in legal jeopardy.  Again,  she  escalated the situation.

If anyone mocks her because she wears what she wants to wear she will push back.  Escalating the situation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

People are tired of the "beauty construct" and fed up with concern trolling and fat shaming and sexual harassment and every other judgemental thing that goes on day in and day out. Women have had enough of being made to feel less than. Women are fighting back. Plum is fighting back. 

No she is lashing out. That is the problem. She is doing nothing constructive to fight any of this. She is in a childish spiral hurting her and others (Calliope house) that won't do anything to deal with these issues. She was far more effective giving advice to Kitty's girls and influencing Kitty.  I don't think people really ARE fed up with it. Only certain people are. Those who benefit from it, Kitty, are happy with it. And why it will slowly, if ever, change.   

I honestly feel like Plum does have some mental issues and needs Y to tap down her destructive behavior.  Ever since she came off the "Y" she has been acting poorly emotionally lashing out. 

I truly don't care about how she dresses but I think it is telling that she is using this dress to "rebel" but no one reasonably is getting that message. Ok sure that might make her feel better but it is just more emotional lashing out that doesn't advance anything. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

BTW, off topic, but did you answer my question in the Light As a Feather thread? I don't think the trailer you referred to was for the Hulu series, but for a book.

I don't know what your talking about. 

28 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

Right here! :-)

There must be something wrong with the merging of the threads. I am not even sure what "light as a feather is" my comment was, at the time, about the trailer for the show...Manifest on NBC.

Plum's clothing doesn't bother me.  I can appreciate all kinds of fashion choices.  She has so many other things going on that distract me, but, not in a good way. 

I do look forward to hearing what really happened in this guy's apartment. I don't actually expect that the show will provide anything satisfying from here on out, but, we'll see.  

Someone upthread mentioned a desire to know the backstory for the detective.  When he and Kitty were sitting in that bar, based on the things that Kitty said about his history and the way he was downing drinks, it made me believe that he might have had a drinking problem (issues from that) that caused his release from the department. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Someone upthread mentioned a desire to know the backstory for the detective.  When he and Kitty were sitting in that bar, based on the things that Kitty said about his history and the way he was downing drinks, it made me believe that he might have had a drinking problem (issues from that) that caused his release from the department. 

Good guess. I guess that would work pretty good as it could contrast how his "demons" / issues don't show on the outside like Plum's 

• Like 1

The rules at PTV are simple - the main one is to be civil to your fellow posters. That's starting to breakdown here, and its understandable as this show is pushing a lot of buttons. However, posts have been removed. If you feel a post is out of line, use the report feature, and the moderation team will make the determination. Failure to follow the site rules may result in further sanctions. Thank you for  assistance.

I am appreciating this show because of the different topics it brings up. It’s timely, I think, given Me Too, body acceptance, and consent. There are plenty of layers to the conflicts and politics of power within relationships as well. It reminds me of a cross between Mr. Robot(which is similar to FC) and My Mad Fat Diary. I may be one of few who hopes that it will continue. It’s not a neat and tidy tale, but that’s not what I’m asking of it either. I think there’s enough here to keep me watching. 

• Like 1