Type keyword(s) to search

The Originals in the Media

Below is the first official promo for season 4. I am with you, Marcel! I know there is no hope they will stay defeated, but damn, it was a good five years for you, New Orleans, and its human residents.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

The Originals' Claire Holt Joins Cast of ABC's Apocalyptic Pilot Doomsday

A CW vampire might be facing the end of the world soon over on ABC.

The Originals star Claire Holt has joined the cast of ABC’s apocalyptic drama pilot Doomsday, TVLine has learned. The premise of the hour-long thriller from Justified vets Mark Bianculli and VJ Boyd: A secret think-tank tasked with coming up with possible disaster scenarios is pressed into action when one of their made-up scenarios comes horribly true. Holt will play a character named Kayla; no further details on her character have been released.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MissL said:

http://heroichollywood.com/joseph-morgan-x-men-tv-series-title/

Guys? Joseph Morgan joins XMen series? While I think he'll be great, should we be worried? Have they secretly already made a decision on the future of the Originals? Break my heart when I actually think it's getting good!

And Graceanne it's not just you. ALOT of shade.

Could be any number of scenarios.

Could be they've given the actors permission to try out for other shows with the provision that The Originals has priority. The same thing happened to Sophia Bush, she had signed on to another show but, had to drop out when The CW picked up One Tree Hill for a final season. 

http://www.mtv.com/news/2552988/sophia-bush-one-tree-hill-southern-discomfort/

(Although, I don't think the ABC Pilot was picked up anyway).

Could be that whatever role JM has on The X-Men pilot is the Main villain that gets killed in the pilot. Or he could have signed a recurring contract that would allow him to film X-Men When not filming The Originals (i.e it gets a short final season pick up).

Could be the the Studio/network quietly canceled the show but, don't want to announce it yet.  

I'm in a wait and see mode.

• Love 1

SpoilerTV just updated quoting EW as saying he was filling in for someone else during the read through (other sources said he has a connection to someone who works there.) I'm not sure what's true. If he had been secretly cast, why would a producer tweet a photo of him? It's possible if he has been cast that he's only in the pilot or he's in 2nd position, meaning if TO gets S5 he'd have to be recast on the X Men show but the producers have been letting the cast audition because the future is uncertain.

Wouldn't they just announce if it had been secretly cancelled? They weren't shy about TVD or Reign.

3 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Wouldn't they just announce if it had been secretly cancelled? They weren't shy about TVD or Reign.

The only thing I could think of is that they wanted to wait until TVD finale aired before announcing anything for The Originals. 

However, I think it's more likely the show is in very iffy territory for renewal so the actors are landing other gigs. With the understanding that should The Originals get renewed they are obligated to return. 

It would be really funny if all that worry over JM is because of a Guest Star role in the Pilot.

On 3/3/2017 at 3:55 PM, GraceAnne said:

http://www.theroguemag.com/features/daniel-gillies

Is it me or is this a tremendous amount of shade thrown by Daniel Gillies? 

Heh, yes, lots of shade thrown at just about everyone! But I was so distracted by how poorly the article was written ("between he and the cast," "taking the reigns," "it’s financial constraints," "horde of other variables"). Apparently no one bothered to proofread/edit any of this article.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Heh, yes, lots of shade thrown at just about everyone! But I was so distracted by how poorly the article was written ("between he and the cast," "taking the reigns," "it’s financial constraints," "horde of other variables"). Apparently no one bothered to proofread/edit any of this article.

Agreed! Hopefully for his co-workers sake it wasn't just the grammar and he was misquoted as well.  I couldn't stop picturing the 1st read through after this was published. "Oh hey gang... sooo, read any good articles over the break?" LOL 

Wow! Thanks for the update. After finding out that two of my shows were canned (Timeless and the Catch), I wasn't too hopeful for this one, especially with the news of JoMo's other opportunity above. But sooooo happy! Would love if they could find a way to work in Caroline next year, especially since TVD pointedly left a dangling plot thread there.

4 hours ago, Artsda said:

The Originals Season 5 Twist Could Set the Stage for Another Spinoff

http://tvline.com/2017/06/14/the-originals-season-5-time-jump-spinoff-adult-hope/

Honestly, I doubt it'll happen. The CW is not really in favour of vampires and that kind of supernatural genre anymore. They're leaning toward superheroes and dramedies. Also, with the poor ratings of the show, it's a wonder how the show got renewed for a fifth season, but I imagine the spinoff won't take off. There's just not the audience for it anymore. But hey, stranger things have happened so who am I to say that it won't? 

Still positive this show is trash, however with Josh being bumped up and Candice being in a few episodes, it's become trash with some stuff I like in it. Fingers crossed for Claire and Candice to have a scene together! 

• Love 1

This news is kind of a bummer.  With the way season 4 ended, it really would've worked well as a series finale, so I'm worried that season 5 is going to be disappointing.  At least they know well ahead of time so hopefully they can end it well.

• Love 4

Not really surprising.  At least now we know it's officially ending with season five.

Though, I do wish they would have stopped at the season four finale.  I still believe they will not be able to top that in any way, shape, or form.

Hopefully the time jump will not create any problems.

• Love 4

‘TVD/The Originals’ Universe Spinoff: Matt Davis & Danielle Rose Russell Lead Cast of Hope-Centric Series In Works At the CW

The Vampire Diaries and The Originals showrunner Julie Plec, the CW and Warner Bros. TV are firming up their plans for a potential new series in The Vampire Diaries/The Originals universe centered around the character of Hope Mikaelson, the tribrid daughter of Niklaus Mikaelson and Hayley Marshall-Kenner. TVD/The Originals‘ Matt Davis and Danielle Rose Russell, who plays Hope on The Originals, are set to star in the potential new spinoff series — confirmed as being in development at the CW last summer — along with Aria Shahghasemi, who plays a friend of Hope’s in the upcoming fifth and final season of The Originals, and Quincy Fouse, Jenny Boyd and Kaylee Bryant, who will play new characters.

According to the article:

There are no set plans for other TVD/Originals actors to be on the new show but I hear the idea is for familiar characters to pop in occasionally.

So Caroline or other characters could show up but not as series regular.

Daniel Gillies is TV Line's Performer of the Week. A quote (there is more in the article):

Devoting an entire episode of television to a single character is always risky, but it becomes considerably less so when that character is played by The Originals‘ Daniel Gillies.

Easily one of The CW’s most underrated actors, Gillies took fans on a satisfying journey in Wednesday’s episode, following his character’s ill-advised decision to have his memory wiped.

• Love 3

‘Charmed,’ ‘Roswell, New Mexico,’ ‘In The Dark,’ ‘All American,’ and ‘Legacies’ get series orders at The CW

The final pickup of the announcement was “Legacies,” from creators Julie Plec and Brett Matthews, and which will center around a new generation of supernatural beings within the same fictional world as “The Vampire Diaires” and “The Originals.” It will take place at The Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted, when Klaus Mikaelson’s 17-year-old daughter, Alaric Saltzman’s twins, and various other young adults come of age in the most unconventional way, nurtured to be their best selves … in spite of their worst impulses. But as the series goes on, the school’s young witches, vampires, and werewolves will have to decide whether they will become the heroes they want to be — or the villains they were born to be.

So I've scrolled through this page and the spoilers page, but I can't find any mention of what happened with Phoebe Tonkin. She is no longer even in the opening credits. Did she decide to not return for most of this season? Does she have a new show?

(edited)
20 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

So I've scrolled through this page and the spoilers page, but I can't find any mention of what happened with Phoebe Tonkin. She is no longer even in the opening credits. Did she decide to not return for most of this season? Does she have a new show?

According to IMDB, she was in an Australian mini series called Safe Harbour. According to this article, they were filming on location in Australia last July and this article says they were shooting in a Brisbane neighborhood at the end of May. I'm not sure how long it took them to shoot the entire series, but it's possible that she negotiated being gone for the beginning of the season. According to IMDB (so take it with a grain of salt):

Spoiler

Hayley will be in episodes S5.E7-S5.E13

She was also cast in S4 of the HBO series The Affair so I'm not sure when she shot her episodes for that. 

Dates that I was able to find thanks to the internet:

Phoebe was back in San Diego in July for Comic Con.
The Originals began shooting S5 in August.
The Originals finished shooting S5 on December 14 but Phoebe was not there on the last day of shooting.

So based on all that information, I don't have a definitive answer, but she was definitely working on other shows and projects (she was also in Europe in October for some Chanel events because she is one of their brand ambassadors).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
Typo
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

According to IMDB (so take it with a grain of salt):

Thanks for all the info. Yes, the IMDB info does seem to contradict what's on the spoiler thread. I'm guessing that info about her real life doings has not been publicized because it would ruin the suspense, but IMO, removing her name from the opening credits already did that. Now I'm wondering what the point of Torrance Coombs' character is, unless of course there's more to him that will still unfold.

On 5/17/2018 at 7:41 PM, Moxie Cat said:

I forget who (maybe Carina) mentioned that Phoebe would only be a guest star this season.

DG has strong feelings about his romance with Aja being cut from Season 3.

https://meaww.com/the-originals-comes-to-a-close-daniel-gillies-aka-elijah-mikaelson-looks-back-on-wonderful-story-line-that-got-edited-out

Daniel tells Meaww, "There was a wonderful storyline that got removed in season 3 episode 12 [...] it was it wasn't appropriate, because they thought it would disturb the beloved storyline between myself and Hayley. [portrayed by Phoebe Tonkin]." 

The story line, he says, had a "wonderful arc" which narrated the story of Elijah and Aaya [portrayed by Tracy Ifeachor]. "It showed how they met one another and this incredible history they had together, this romance they found through the acquisition of knowledge and this library where they met and there were beautiful details where you discovered an incredible amount about Elijah and what some of his pilgrimage to being who he is today was." 

Tragically, this "truly fascinating little arc" was thrown out and they decided to not go with it, despite the fact that it was "one of the best written, best shot" episodes of the show, according to Daniel.  

[...]"it at best was disappointing to me and I think it was a mistake."

The bolded just reads too ironic for me to think otherwise.